5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

Look what genuinely do we have to lose by playing him instead of Lingard, AP or Mata?

Like genuinely it cannot be worse and we would be giving opportunities to a young player who could grow and who knows become top class. The other players are soo painful theres no loss.

Raven

I can see the quality but he looks so casual off the ball. One big reason no one passed to him, he was strolling around and not making any runs. Does he not realize there are two City players next to him? They will rob him of the ball if they try to pass to him.
He did look a little casual at first, but grew into the game I thought. When you talk about him not moving for the ball, that's because where he is is where he wants the ball and he backs his ability to retain possession. We need more of these players, our only one in the first team is Martial and Pogba if we ever see him again.

jackal&hyde

I think he's ahead of Lingard and Mata now. He needs to sign that new contract though.

Raven

No he'll develop under a competent coach who will teach him how to negate the opposition press / pressure by facilitating movement that will augment him space. It's amazing asking these young players to play under a counter attacking manager like Solskjaer, they'll learn absolutely nothing compared to someone who is well educated and esteemed in possession based football. Gives Gomes to a Lampard, Rodgers, Klopp, Pep he'll have his uses.
Incredible overrating.

Raven

To me the circumstances are relatively similar two rancid manages whou shouldn't have been anywhere near the club. Moyes was less detestable because the pressure came from fans to get him out throughout the spoil.

The exact same fans will back Solskjaer even if we got relegated. Moyes dropped the bar but the club's ambition was still foreseeable. Under Ole there's a concensus we will at best be a top 8 club. Its an absolute embarrassment.
Passing-wind through your mouth it seems.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Look what genuinely do we have to lose by playing him instead of Lingard, AP or Mata?
This is what I don't get. Gomes is untested but those ahead are tested and proven shit.
Ole is proving to be bomb proof, so what do we have to lose?
Just play him and see where it goes.
Hope he hasn't signed a contract elsewhere.

SirAF

Ageist
This is what I don't get. Gomes is untested but those ahead are tested and proven shit.
Ole is proving to be bomb proof, so what do we have to lose?
Just play him and see where it goes.
Hope he hasn't signed a contract elsewhere.
Exactly. In order to find out what Gomes is made of he needs a good run of matches.

romufc

I think he's ahead of Lingard and Mata now. He needs to sign that new contract though.
I am sure he isn't signing one due to playing time.

Surely we have exhausted our options with Lingard, Mara and Perreira.

Get him in a room, tell him to sign a contract and he has the rest of the season to prove why he should be a started.

It is not as if we will sign anyone.

passing-wind

Passing-wind through your mouth it seems.
Atleast I have some ambition for the club to get back to the top. Something that didn't happen under Moyes and won't happen under Ole.

You might settle for medicority because Solskjaer's management has impoverished your ability to think clearly, unfortunately this disease like mentality will not work its way into my thinking.

passing-wind

Incredible overrating.
You can talk:

"I voted for sacking him back in October. I have now changed my vote, I am now seeing that his vision is taking effect and I want to see where it takes us. I fully expect us to get top 4, provided we can get a handle on our injuries."

LVGSdive

Ryan Fraser is 3cm taller but he's also built better. Insigne too.

Gomes has the body of a child. He'd struggle to have fun at Alton Towers cause they'd boot him off the rides for not being big enough.

If he was stood next to a ballboy or a mascot you'd struggle to tell which was which. It was bad enough for James earlier in the season.

He doesn't need to rely on pace but he needs to have something approaching that at this level and Gomes in every appearance has looked nothing like it. For all the hype you'd have thought he might've played a nice assist or had a promising run or something but instead he's just done a few simple passes, moved a bit (which I get seems impossibly impressive right now considering the state of our first team and their inability to pass and move) and then when he's tried to go more complicated he's lumped it out of play or given it away like tonight. Twice he tried to play Rashford in and those were the result.

Get him in the gym and bulk him massively otherwise the first big hard tackle he gets from a genuine top level player is going to end his career, he's an absolute waif.

How anyone thinks he's even within a year of being ready is quite remarkable.

Like I said, he could have all the talent in the world but at some point there has to be a cutoff and he's below that cutoff point. I bet there are kids smaller than him right now that are more talented, doesn't mean they could play at PL level does it?
Football is more about speed, technique, and decision making not all about size for midfield/attacking midfield players now.

If he was a centreback his height would be an issue. See Japan where they play very good football then can't defend crosses because of their height disadvantage.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's shown that his technique is above loads of our senior squad for first.

And your constant ranting about his physique is tiresome. He's a kid, he'll grow and out on more muscles. You're the kind of person that's willing to give up on Ronaldo just because he's scrawny and falls over every tackle and look how he turned out.

Go watch American Football, your obsession with size suits them.
I'm completely for technique over size. I'm absolutely not the person to give up on Ronaldo because he's scrawny and falls over every tackle.

There's a difference between calling Gomes for what he sadly is and suddenly wanting a team full of 6ft7 grocks with no technique.

Like I said, I'm sure the guy's got technique in abundance but the likes of Messi, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, etc (players of the style we never recruit and should recruit) are still noticeably bigger than Gomes.

He's just too small. There is a limit on what a player can physically be to play in a men's game at Premier League level (or similar big leagues) and he's below it for me. I have zero faith that he could make it purely based on that limitation.

Football is more about speed, technique, and decision making not all about size for midfield/attacking midfield players now.

If he was a centreback his height would be an issue. See Japan where they play very good football then can't defend crosses because of their height disadvantage.
I never said it wasn't.

I simply said Gomes is too small.

I'd be all for 11 Messi's on the pitch for instance.

Consider my stance as literally the height level for rides at a theme park. If you're under it, you can go on. Gomes is under it, Messi and the others are just over it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Had the chance to play an easy ball to someone in acres of space late on, where we could have got another goal and back in the tie, and decided to do some shite little turn and lost it. Was absolutely pathetic. Looks very lightweight and is yet to impress in the first team. Hopefully he takes his next chance as that was a difficult game to show anything yesterday.

In Rainbows

Like genuinely it cannot be worse and we would be giving opportunities to a young player who could grow and who knows become top class. The other players are soo painful theres no loss.
That's what I've been harping on about. At least with him he can develop given that this is just the start of his career and is 19. The others aren't going to develop any longer. What they are is what they are. Their output isn't worth persisting with.

Even if he is (referencing him not being as good as Lingard), at least he can develop seeing as he's only 19. His raw tools (technique, vision) are much better than Lingard's.
I'm not expecting him to just smash from the get go. However, his development could reap a productivity that is better than current Lingard, Pereira, and Mata.

Had the chance to play an easy ball to someone in acres of space late on, where we could have got another goal and back in the tie, and decided to do some shite little turn and lost it. Was absolutely pathetic. Looks very lightweight and is yet to impress in the first team. Hopefully he takes his next chance as that was a difficult game to show anything yesterday.
Yeah I was disappointed he opted for that. However, given enough time to showcase his ability, I will bet on his ability to give a final pass. Let him grow in confidence and his ability will come through.

Red00012

First time I have been impressed with him in a senior competitive game.
Yet to be impressed by him to be honest.
But he should be given more game time simply because I’m sick of looking at the other 3

In Rainbows

He’ll get found out in senior football.

Wont get the time and space he does in juniors.
This is a reasonable opinion, but you could point this out to any youngster prior to making the step up. For example, what does Williams have in terms of technique that gives him an edge over Gomes when it comes to playing with less time and space in the mens game? What did Lingard have? Cleverley? None of them are on Gomes' level of technique.

Until he gets tested for a bit, it's impossible to know. What we do know is that his first touch is better than most footballers. We do know that he has close control that others would dream about. And we also know that he's small. It will depend on how his mind adapts to senior football, but we'll need more evidence to see if he can't do it. There will be an adjustment period just like there is an adjustment period for youth players first playing for the u18s. An adjustment period when making the step up to the u23s. And so on. Gomes didn't smash it right away for those age levels btw. It took him a couple of months before dominating those levels.

I like this video of Gomes as a 13 year old playing against the u17s (Rashford is #10). In this video you can see how despite his quality, he's new to the level of physical superiority of the other players he needs to deal with. He loses the ball when he wouldn't playing against those his age. However, like every young player it wouldn't make sense to conclude he won't eventually come to terms with it even if there is the possibility.

I think he's a different case from Chong whose technique is much more sporadic.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Might as well give him a run of games since Ole doesn't seem to trust Mata anymore these days. If he struggles badly then take him off at HT.

Teja

I hope there's been progress in his contract talks because he played again. He's not as good as he / his agent think he is but there's definitely promise.

Deserves a proper shot at the first team if he does sign the contract and not the occasional 10 minute cameo.

Canagel

It's very funny that he waited ages to play and suddenly he gets thrown into the most difficult match when we don't even
have the ball while Lingard/Periera are rewarded with lots of chances to play in the easy matches and do feck all. I wouldn't have blamed him for not wanting to come on, he has been treated like dirt.

reddevil702

He has the skill to make up for his lack of size, his technical ability is up there with the likes of Mata. Somehow we keep playing Lingard when he's been one of our worst players. We've needed a creative player all year, talk about youth and yet we can't give him a chance. If he leaves without a real shot at the first team it will be a decision we regret.

In Rainbows

It's very funny that he waited ages to play and suddenly he gets thrown into the most difficult match when we don't even
have the ball while Lingard/Periera are rewarded with lots of chances to play in the easy matches and do feck all. I wouldn't have blamed him for not wanting to come on, he has been treated like dirt.
Nah, I think it was good that he came on. It was educational for his development. If he couldn't get on there, then when will he? I would like to see him against Wolves in the FA cup and City in the 2nd leg. If there's one player that we'd do well to convince, it's him whether he makes it or not. His talent deserves us being patient with him more so than other less talented players who merely get to stay on because they're not a hot commodity for other clubs to pick up.

I would agree that I wouldn't like it if Ole saw that game as an ultimatum. If that's the case then it's completely unfair.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Interesting to see him and Chong involved recently given their contract situations, wonder if we’re closer to a resolution now. With Williams making a case for himself in LB adding Gomes in at number 10 could be incredibly beneficial to helping us break down certain defensive teams, hope he continues to get minutes.

lumeyes

This is a reasonable opinion, but you could point this out to any youngster prior to making the step up. For example, what does Williams have in terms of technique that gives him an edge over Gomes when it comes to playing with less time and space in the mens game? What did Lingard have? Cleverley? None of them are on Gomes' level of technique.

Until he gets tested for a bit, it's impossible to know. What we do know is that his first touch is better than most footballers. We do know that he has close control that others would dream about. And we also know that he's small. It will depend on how his mind adapts to senior football, but we'll need more evidence to see if he can't do it. There will be an adjustment period just like there is an adjustment period for youth players first playing for the u18s. An adjustment period when making the step up to the u23s. And so on. Gomes didn't smash it right away for those age levels btw. It took him a couple of months before dominating those levels.

I like this video of Gomes as a 13 year old playing against the u17s (Rashford is #10). In this video you can see how despite his quality, he's new to the level of physical superiority of the other players he needs to deal with. He loses the ball when he wouldn't playing against those his age. However, like every young player it wouldn't make sense to conclude he won't eventually come to terms with it even if there is the possibility.

I think he's a different case from Chong whose technique is much more sporadic.
Quite an interesting video. Even with his small size and significant age gap, one could see he wasn't a complete misfit in that game.

lumeyes

This is something I am still trying understand. The moment Ole decided to pull him from the U23 games and promote him to the senior team, the wise thing would have been to look for and use every available opportunity to prepare him. That means starting with the easier games - not necessarily against weaker opponents but for example vs Chelsea when we moved 4:0 up. But the tactician called Ole failed to take the simple and easy route.
The only good thing this time around was that he didn't try to convert him to a flying winger.

mattsville

Interesting to see him and Chong involved recently given their contract situations, wonder if we’re closer to a resolution now. With Williams making a case for himself in LB adding Gomes in at number 10 could be incredibly beneficial to helping us break down certain defensive teams, hope he continues to get minutes.
I think you will see more of him now for the rest of the season, imo he was'nt getting enough game time because Lingard was being given a chance to prove himself which he has not, then when that fact was established Gomes was injured, but a great sign that he was put on at that stage of the game against city.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Felt more like desperation as everybody else is dead on their feet or injured, but I hope it is a positive sign at least.

NotQuiteManc

I think you will see more of him now for the rest of the season, imo he was'nt getting enough game time because Lingard was being given a chance to prove himself which he has not, then when that fact was established Gomes was injured, but a great sign that he was put on at that stage of the game against city.
Yes, agree regarding Lingard. It seemed he was given some kind of ultimatum/last chance saloon to prove himself. Not to mention the change of agent might be signalling the end of his stay at United. Now it is Gomes turn, and hopefully he will prove his worth.

mattsville

Yes, agree regarding Lingard. It seemed he was given some kind of ultimatum/last chance saloon to prove himself. Not to mention the change of agent might be signalling the end of his stay at United. Now it is Gomes turn, and hopefully he will prove his worth.
Yep, off topic this season I think Ole gave the likes of Lingard a chance, did'nt sign players etc, I think now he knows who is up for it and who is not, it is a transitional season to see that, Lingard is gone and it pains me to say cos he was a great academy player, but his head is not on football simple as that.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Like I said, I'm sure the guy's got technique in abundance but the likes of Messi, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, etc (players of the style we never recruit and should recruit) are still noticeably bigger than Gomes.
Gomes isn't that much smaller than Verratti, is he?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You'll be pleased to know he's not in the U23 squad playing right now so he's likely on the bench tomorrow.

Gomes isn't that much smaller than Verratti, is he?
He's not, you're right but Verratti is stocky. Gomes' physique is like a child. And even then, not that much smaller still puts Verratti on the borderline and Gomes under it for where the level of height needs to be doesn't it?

Man Utd 4:0 Norwich

kidbob

Hopefully a sign he's back in contention. Anyone who's followed him will know he has taken time to adapt to each new grade but has shone eventually. If he had been given more time earlier on I reckon he'd have begun to show his quality. Hopefully we can give him them minutes in this half of the season and convince him to sign the contract.

He'sRaldo

The guy has quality. Needs more intensity for the PL but you can see he's working on it.

Based Adnan

Hopefully the fact he's playing a bit more is a sign that he's shown a willingness to sign a new deal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The kid got a nice long passings. Would love to see him make it here, but with his small body frame and lack of pace, he needs at least two more seasons to look ready, imho.

Scholes was 20 y.o. when starting as squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.