Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And where did you get this gem of information that he’s leaving? Thread is full of exactly the same post over and over again. Why bother?
Well the fact he hasn't signed a new contract and has 3 months remaining; it's not looking good is it?

Red_toad

Well the fact he hasn't signed a new contract and has 3 months remaining; it's not looking good is it?
Thank you for answering for another person.

He also ran his contract to the wire the last time he renewed and he's given no hints as to wanting to move on from the club. That is the situaion we're in, people rehashing how he's going to move on an be another Pogba numerous times, is pretty tedious.

SATA

The club is certainly talking a lot about him now on social media and facebook. I think they are possibly gearing up for a contract extension announcement very soon

Kostov

After the Chong extension, Angel signing a new deal should be made a priority, we must keep our talents. I hope he gets more chances in near time.

OrcaFat

I hope he renews. It's weird how little game time he was given this season. I hope Ole knows what he is doing.
I don’t see him getting much game time next year either. Despite his talent he hasn’t looked ready for the first team to me. Loan?

Bondi77

If Pogba stays and I would say he would be used in a more offensive than defensive role and with the addition of Bruno and even potentially the addition of Bellingham I really cannot see where Angel would get games.
He is not even on the bench at the moment so I would imagine if he does sign he will be straight out on loan because what is the point of playing for the u23s again. We all know he has great technique but the question is can he impose himself at a higher level and we can only go some way to answering that by sending him to the Championship.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If he cannot get any games ahead of Lingard/Pereira, he surely isn't getting any game ahead of Bruno and possibly Grealish.

Ekeke

The plan should be replacing Lingard, Periera and Mata with Bruno, Grealish and Gomes
Why would Grealish want to start 17 premier league games (Mata + Lingard combined) when he could start every week on the left wing at another club like Chelsea?

Andreas' games will go to Bruno.

OrcaFat

The plan should be replacing Lingard, Periera and Mata with Bruno, Grealish and Gomes
Much as I don’t rate Lingard, he at least offers work rate and some physicality which, in the absence of a better player of that type, can be useful off the bench if we are defending a lead. At the moment, Gomes is like a cross between Mata and Pereira with (even) less mobility, albeit more talent. If we buy Grealish as well I fear Gomes will get no game time at all.

His only hope is to go on loan and build up some strength, stamina and learn to get more out of himself physically. If he can generate an extra yard of pace from somewhere he could end up as a useful back up for Bruno. All of that said, it’s difficult to imagine him as a first team regular. Would be a shame to see talent like his go to waste.

M16Red

People bang on about Billy Glamour yet Gomes is 3 inchs smaller, the EPL has changed technical abilities is more and more important it seems.

I've watched Gomes a lot, the lad is talented. I hope he signs a new contract and the other two jokes do one.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Why would Grealish want to start 17 premier league games (Mata + Lingard combined) when he could start every week on the left wing at another club like Chelsea?

Andreas' games will go to Bruno.
That's just my dream really. I don't know if we can convince him to come but won't start every game. Some say he can play multiple positions but the positions he plays are already occupied by our best players so in the end he's not a guaranteed starter and that can put him off. Anyways, Lingard, Periera and Mata all need replacing. Bruno has replaced Lingard, we get a solid back up AM - Cantwell, Buendia, Grealish etc to replace Pereira and Gomes replaces Mata as the third choice

M16Red

Ole or whoever has been doing a good job on the right wages for the players, Harry is on 190K and Wan is on 90K.

Bruno is on 150K.

I think we have learnt that just banging out 150K eg Shaws wage isnt always the best method of getting the player.

If he wants the play for Utd he will sign the contract, if goes for the money then good luck to him. Chelsea are a strange beast there is no telling how long it'll be before they switch management or even start buying in.

Red_toad

I assume the problem is that he is not really interested in renewing
Of course he is. United are his team and he’d want to play here more than anywhere. But he and his advisory team are obviously looking to get the best deal and chances to develop by getting game time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Of course he is. United are his team and he’d want to play here more than anywhere. But he and his advisory team are obviously looking to get the best deal and chances to develop by getting game time.
I doubt it but we’ll see. I guess he’s off

crossy1686

career ending
After the Chong extension, Angel signing a new deal should be made a priority, we must keep our talents. I hope he gets more chances in near time.
I listened to the Athletic podcast this week and they said that Chong had agreed to sign for Inter but they planned on loaning him out next season. Chong decided in the end that he had better chance of playing for United and signed with us instead.

There was a suggestion that Inter's contract was much more than what United were willing to offer a reserve player who wasn't a first team regular, and a suggestion that Gomes was looking for a similar pay rise that United just weren't willing to meet.

Red_toad

I doubt it but we’ll see. I guess he’s off
You doubt someone who’s supported the club since he was a young child wants to stay? Hmm ok your opinion I guess, but most likely very wrong. Given the right offer and assurances over playing time, he’d have signed ages ago.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You doubt someone who’s supported the club since he was a young child wants to stay? Hmm ok your opinion I guess, but most likely very wrong. Given the right offer and assurances over playing time, he’d have signed ages ago.
His contract runs out in 2 months, so why has he not signed yet? He is obviously checking other options where he feels he’ll play and benefit more.

sherrinford

His contract runs out in 2 months, so why has he not signed yet? He is obviously checking other options where he feels he’ll play and benefit more.
Obviously, but it doesn’t change the fact that he would prefer to stay and actually play for United.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Creative players need a longer leash to feel comfortable playing risky passes that open up defenses. I think if Ole can convince him that Lingard and Pereira will be off soon and he'll get an extended run in the cup games as back up to Bruno starting next season, he'll sign a new deal.

Adam-Utd

Creative players need a longer leash to feel comfortable playing risky passes that open up defenses. I think if Ole can convince him that Lingard and Pereira will be off soon and he'll get an extended run in the cup games as back up to Bruno starting next season, he'll sign a new deal.
His offensive output has never been an issue, but can he play at the speed of the mens game? can he press for 90 minutes? is he best as a LW or a number 10? There's still a lot of questions about his defensive work which is important in England unfortunately.

It's a shame he hasn't been given more minutes to prove himself especially before Bruno arrived, but now I just don't see an avenue for him unless it's a squad player. It seems clear he wants more than that, I think he'd be wise to go abroad somewhere like Holland/Portugal/Germany to get used to first team football.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His offensive output has never been an issue, but can he play at the speed of the mens game? can he press for 90 minutes? is he best as a LW or a number 10? There's still a lot of questions about his defensive work which is important in England unfortunately.

It's a shame he hasn't been given more minutes to prove himself especially before Bruno arrived, but now I just don't see an avenue for him unless it's a squad player. It seems clear he wants more than that, I think he'd be wise to go abroad somewhere like Holland/Portugal/Germany to get used to first team football.
Someone like Cazorla might be an excellent player for him to emulate.

Adam-Utd

Someone like Cazorla might be an excellent player for him to emulate.
Yep. His height definitely isn't the end of the world but IMO he's struggled with his fitness whenver I've seen him for the mens teams. Even in the reserves he has moments where he disappears and just walks around a bit casually, but then he will pop up with a dribble or pass and create some magic.

The closest player to him right now is funnily enough a similarly named player Gomez from Atalanta.

Bestietom

A real class player, but I think that it's his size that holds him back here. It shouldn't, but it does.

Crashoutcassius

If he leaves, will people say ole 'let him go' like they did with pogba ?

I always wonder what people want in these situations... Just to play young players that ask for it ? I think we need to ignore threats and do what we have always done and play players in merit... Difficult for us to see who those players are without seeing training, but he hasn't done much in the first team minutes he has got.

I hope he stays and plays left wing and in 10 20x next season but if he leaves the it is what it is

lumeyes

If he leaves, will people say ole 'let him go' like they did with pogba ?

I always wonder what people want in these situations... Just to play young players that ask for it ? I think we need to ignore threats and do what we have always done and play players in merit..
Lingard, Pereira, and to some extent, Mata all were played on merit I guess. No one has threatened anybody, except if you consider a logical request for a fair share of playing time a threat. A significant portion of game time used up by Lingard at no 10 should have gone to Gomes, if Ole really knew what he was up to. Rather we hear rumours/arguments which seem intentionally planted to undermine the kid: "Gomes is asking for too much", "He has an attitude", "He was late for training that's why he wasn't even on the bench for a game that he should naturally be a part of. The only logical one would have been "his refusal to sign contract extension" but that failed the test of logic because Chong, who was in the same boat and who infact was openly shopping for a new club, kept getting game time in a favoured position while showing almost nothing for it.

Difficult for us to see who those players are without seeing training, but he hasn't done much in the first team minutes he has got.
Sure Ole saw Lingard in training and kept playing him for more than a year, even when his net contribution to the team was negative. Seems like a third eye - not a natural one - is being used to see things at Carrington

I hope he stays and plays left wing and in 10 20x next season but if he leaves the it is what it is
There lies the problem. Play a kid out of position, not just that but in a positon his natural attributes are unsuited to and even worse, when the entire team was playing bad, then judge him by that. How fair is that?

The only times he was played in a natural position his performance range from good and excellent. "Excellent" in the last in the EFL cup vs Rotherham. Yes it was the EFL cup but that was a level above the U23 and the opponents had a couple of big boys, one or two of which he mesmerised at some points. His 10 min cameo vs Norwich at Old Trafford showed he is a significant upgrade on Lingard, whose only contributions are "running" and "pressing".

No one has demanded to have Gomes as a first team regular, but just a fair game time to aid his progression. And that is a most logical and just demand in the light of those Ole preferred to play all the time. His mate Foden, who has 3 to 4 stars ahead of him at City, has had far more involvement. And that's with a Pep who prefers already-made materials.

lumeyes

Yep. His height definitely isn't the end of the world but IMO he's struggled with his fitness whenver I've seen him for the mens teams. Even in the reserves he has moments where he disappears and just walks around a bit casually, but then he will pop up with a dribble or pass and create some magic.

The closest player to him right now is funnily enough a similarly named player Gomez from Atalanta.
I admit he's not looked 100% fit sometimes but there are periods when he appeared quite ok. At the beginning of the season and especially that fantastic performance against Rotherham, even up till the home game vs Astana in which he was perhaps among our top 2 or 3 good performers - while being surrounded by horrible football. There were two ocassions we were told he wasn't fit only for him to pop up the next 2 days and play well for England.

The part in bold is the hallmark of a good player. We've seen Rashford in that mode a few times this season, the same with Martial. Even our own new mint - Fernandez - appeared to fade towards the end in about 2 games or so. I would rather have someone who might struggle for parts of a game and then do something great at a point that one who just runs and presses. Again I need to say that this is and has never been a call for Gomes to be a first team regular.

Another thing to think of the psychological effect on him of watching constant poor to piss-poor display by some "old players" in the AM position while he isn't even making the bench.

Adam-Utd

I admit he's not looked 100% fit sometimes but there are periods when he appeared quite ok. At the beginning of the season and especially that fantastic performance against Rotherham, even up till the home game vs Astana in which he was perhaps among our top 2 or 3 good performers - while being surrounded by horrible football. There were two ocassions we were told he wasn't fit only for him to pop up the next 2 days and play well for England.

The part in bold is the hallmark of a good player. We've seen Rashford in that mode a few times this season, the same with Martial. Even our own new mint - Fernandez - appeared to fade towards the end in about 2 games or so. I would rather have someone who might struggle for parts of a game and then do something great at a point that one who just runs and presses. Again I need to say that this is and has never been a call for Gomes to be a first team regular.

Another thing to think of the psychological effect on him of watching constant poor to piss-poor display by some "old players" in the AM position while he isn't even making the bench.
I think he's class and I love watching him, i'm sure he will have a good career somewhere especially once he gets older.

It's just tricky at a club like ours right now as we need everybody pulling their weight. We don't get many games where we are cruising and can afford to throw on the kids (shame he wasn't on the bench against LASK) I hope it's just his agent trying to squeeze every last penny out of us (a bit like CHO did to Chelsea). If he leaves it'll be a very dark day for the academy, but I also understand if he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.