Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is it just me or does it look like he has improved quite a bit already since last season. Obviously there will still be inconstancies at some point due to his age but he seems to be in great form at the moment. When he is like this he can play football at any level.
I didn’t watch all his games last season but he did seem a much better player towards the end than he did at the beginning. I think his development took a big leap forward around the turn of the year. Maybe one of the reserve experts can confirm this? I’m also curious if it coincided with him playing a bit deeper than he did before?

macheda14

My big fear for this season is that we will keep giving chances to under performing senior players, in a hope that they'll come good, rather than giving Gomes and Greenwood the minutes.

Given our front four will be Rashford, Martial, Lingard and a new AM, it could be hard for them to start games, but I hope they can pull ahead of the back-ups in Sanchez, Mata, Pereira + Lukaku/his replacement.
I think ole really trusts his backroom staff and McKenna really backs these young players coming through so we will see a lot of them.

SteveW

I think so, maybe it's just that he's finally adapting to the men's game? He's a lot more decisive than he used to be, he's constantly getting on the ball which is important.
I didn’t watch all his games last season but he did seem a much better player towards the end than he did at the beginning. I think his development took a big leap forward around the turn of the year. Maybe one of the reserve experts can confirm this? I’m also curious if it coincided with him playing a bit deeper than he did before?
The transformation in the last 12 months has been very noticeable. He was letting games pass him by. Now he is running games. So much confidence and authority in his play these days.

Based Adnan

He is better than Mata right now. Would be a disgrace if he doesn't get chances this season. Anything less than 25 apps isn't good enough.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
WTF was he playing in a reserve team game for? FFS I guess he's not in the match day squad for the weekend then? :(

Did Chong and Greenwood play as well?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

This level is just too easy for him. Look at this, players can't get near him.

Will be so gutted if we lose him without giving him a chance.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
WTF was he playing in a reserve team game for? FFS I guess he's not in the match day squad for the weekend then? :(

Did Chong and Greenwood play as well?
Greenwood didn’t.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think these cup games are going to be good for his development.

He’s playing a bunch of physical teams that will try to rough him up a bit. He, Chong and Laird looked the best players on the pitch.

For me he’s ready for men’s football, id have him in the 10 over mata all day in terms of playmaking, just need to see him finishing.

Absolutely love watching the kid.

Fer

I hope he signs a new contract. If not, he will go for free next summer.

I found difficult this situation, mainly because we play Lingard in his position, we extended Mata's contract and we are linked with CAMs like Eriksen, Fernandes and Dybala. Also, we haven't sold Sanchez. So it seems that he won't have a lot of minutes in the first team this season (unfortunately).

podurban2

It’s such a shame if he doesn’t get a decent chance this season. Especially since Mata and Lingard will probably be as average as ever.

AltiUn

I'll be honest I think Gomes is better than Greenwood. Shame Ole seemingly doesn't agree or at the very least treating them evenly
I disagree, there isn't as much between them as people think but Greenwood's one of the best youth players I've ever seen. It doesn't really matter who's better though, they're both our players and they shouldn't be compared to one another like Rashford and Martial had to be.

Gomes will force his way into the team before long, I've said it before and i'll say it again, re-signing Mata was a complete waste of time. If we lost Gomes because of that then I don't think I'd be able to forgive the club, he deserves his chance, moreso than Mata and Lingard do.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Anyone have any information around his contract? Have we offered him a new one? Is he refusing to sign it? Worried about him leaving on a free?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone have any information around his contract? Have we offered him a new one? Is he refusing to sign it? Worried about him leaving on a free?
Wouldn't surprise me if no one at the club even know his contract is expiring

AltiUn

Don't think anyone's commented on it at all, at least none of our usual reliable outlets. We just know that it's up next year.

ash_86

Blissful player that I fear is going to be a world beater elsewhere. I can't for the life of me understand how lingard gets more minutes than this guy.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Wouldn't surprise me if no one at the club even know his contract is expiring
Don't think anyone's commented on it at all, at least none of our usual reliable outlets. We just know that it's up next year.
Cheers guys.

I have to admit, I am a tad worried about his contract situation. There's no doubt in my mind that we would have offered him a contract by now, but for whatever reason, he hasn't signed yet.

Perhaps he is just waiting to see what opportunities we give him throughout the season before committing, so hopefully Mata's contract renewal will not come back to haunt us.

Raven

This level is just too easy for him. Look at this, players can't get near him.

Will be so gutted if we lose him without giving him a chance.
He'll get his chance, there's a lot of football to be played this year. I'm really impatient to see him tearing the league a new one, but I'm sure we'll get to see the best of him at this club.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Don't think we've handled this situation well to this point. He's ready for first team minutes and he should be in a lot of squads but I'm willing to bet he won't sniff a premier league squad until Christmas.

Mr PG

People need to chill out.. jeez. You introduce a youngster by giving him a few minutes here and there to lessen the pressure and ease the integration. Not even Messi got thrown into the team full scale.

I’m confident Angel will get sufficient minutes to stake his claim while giving his body time to develop fully into adult frame.

Technically he was probably good enough to play even last year but that’s not how you handle kids by throwing them into the deep end.

KW2006

It is criminal. He must be sad when he saw the minutes Foden and Sancho have got last season.

worldinmotion66

Unless we show faith and start him regularly, he's gone. There's no way he's going to stick around at a club that picks Mata ahead of him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It is criminal. He must be sad when he saw the minutes Foden and Sancho have got last season.
Last season was stop start for him in terms of injuries and he was genuinely no where near ready physically. His form had been up and down as well, was struggling to impose himself on U-23 games.

He has come on a lot in the last 3 or 4 months on that score and has taken another leap in the summer physically. This is the first season he should be considered for first team action.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have to laugh at those just stopping by in this thread to have a moan at the club. A great talent developing at the club, lets have a moan. Sure, losing a giant talent is cause for concern but have we ever lost a huge prospect to a big club, except for with Pogba? Who we then bought back after realising our mistake btw.. If Gomes hadn't been involved on tour then I would have been concerned but his involvements around the first team now is the reason why we should be happy, its not something to generally be very miserable about. That being said, sooner he signs a new contract the better.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I have to laugh at those just stopping by in this thread to have a moan at the club. A great talent developing at the club, lets have a moan. Sure, losing a giant talent is cause for concern but have we ever lost a huge prospect to a big club, except for with Pogba? Who we then bought back after realising our mistake btw.. If Gomes hadn't been involved on tour then I would have been concerned but his involvements around the first team now is the reason why we should be happy, its not something to generally be very miserable about. That being said, sooner he signs a new contract the better.
Indeed, he also made his first full professional start with us tonight. Regardless of who we are obligated to put out, that was professional minutes for him tonight. He can be rightly proud.

Weird to think that nigh on 7 lads made their full debuts tonight.

bonusroller

This guy will be on a 5 + 1 in a few months.

If he goes elsewhere, he may not get an easier route to the first team than against an aging Mata and a mediocre Lingard.

Cream always rises to the top.

Just be patient.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
People need to chill out.. jeez. You introduce a youngster by giving him a few minutes here and there to lessen the pressure and ease the integration. Not even Messi got thrown into the team full scale.

I’m confident Angel will get sufficient minutes to stake his claim while giving his body time to develop fully into adult frame.

Technically he was probably good enough to play even last year but that’s not how you handle kids by throwing them into the deep end.
Exactly. It’s painful reading this thread. He’s 18. He can break through this year for sure. Let’s be patient. But the idea that he leaves if he doesn’t start immediately is just stupid,

AR87

Last season was stop start for him in terms of injuries and he was genuinely no where near ready physically. His form had been up and down as well, was struggling to impose himself on U-23 games.

He has come on a lot in the last 3 or 4 months on that score and has taken another leap in the summer physically. This is the first season he should be considered for first team action.
I trust the opinion of somebody who has zero social life and watches United Reserves on the regular like @Stobzilla!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I don't see too much cause for concern or the slightest bit of indication that he is thinking about leaving really. Think that's just people being paranoid because of our current state. And signing Mata on wasnt really that bad, by all accounts hes a model professional and a great player to mentor Gomes as he makes the step up. Obviously Gomes should get minutes this season, but there is a benefit in keeping Mata.

Just think, in a few years time we could quite easily see:
Chong Rashford Greenwood
Gomes McTominay
Garner
Obviously it never quite works out like this, but Chong I think will at least become a useful squad player, while I'm totally convinced with Greenwood and Gomes. Garner has a lot more to show, being further away from the first team, but it's still good to see. For all the talk the last few years about issues with our youth team and how we're falling behind, having Henderson, Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner, McTominay, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all being talked about as future first team players is brilliant. Especially because you know we give chances, unlike other clubs.

NoPace

Is it madness to think that by the end of the season our best team is going to be a 4-2-2-2 if Eriksen signs?

Martial--Rashford (Greenwood)
Gomes-----Eriksen
---Pogba-McT-----
Shaw---------WanBissaka
--Maguire-Lindelof--
-------De Gea-------

We'd actually be able to move the ball around, we don't have a right winger anyways and our forwards aren't very good at the stuff 9s or wingers do but are quite good running the channels and attacking CBs from wide, and with Pogba, Gomes and Eriksen we'd have the quality to play them in behind and use their pace.

In Rainbows

You must be thinking of 2017/2018. He was class all of last season. Not his fault the team as a whole didn't perform as great under Sbragia.

Thiagoal

I’m so impressed with the improvement he’s made in the last 6 months! He used to drift in and out of games but now he’s demanding the ball and wants to be the main man everything goes through! If Ole was watching last night then he will know he’s ready!

Kostov

Watching this kid makes me wonder why we don't go all out on a CDM and give Angel a proper chance. He's quality and it's very obvious.

edcunited1878

People must think that Nicky Butt, McKenna and Ole are thick lads who will let him walk.

Unless he's demanding ridiculous wages, he'll resign. Seems he has the proper patience and has been told of his role and path to the first team for the current year and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.