5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

If Gomes was killing it in training then I am sure Ole would be giving him his chance as it is obvious that Ole wants to bring the youth through.
He will get his chance in the Europa games and it is up to him to show something and in reference to Andreas and the others I have to assume they do a lot more in training than Gomes because surely Ole will be judged on how the team does and if they will do better with Gomes in the side he would be mad not to play him.

lumeyes

I remember Pogba saying he needs more game time before he signs a new contract. Fergie played him but Raiola convinced him to sign for Juve anyway.
The main issue was Raiola who knew his paycheck would be far bigger if Pogba signed for Juve than if he signed a new contract with us.
I just hope that Gomes is not being advised to go the same route
No Fergie did not really play him when it mattered. It's quite funny how some make up their mind on something and stick to it, even when contrary information is in the public. Pogba got pissed after telling Fergie he wanted to play and when the opportunity presented itself Fergie "played Park and Rafael in midfield vs Blackburn. I (Pogba) gave up". Someone might be a kid but respect is also important. To watch Mata and Lingard foul up the place time after time without being given a glance is what an aspiring player shouldn't stomach. Even more painful is the fact that that, in the case of Gomes, his mates like Sancho and Foden are getting far more minutes in star-filled teams while he is subjected to ridicule in a team yearning for the kind qualities we know he is capable of.

Pogba righthly told Fergi off and went to Juve. The big players there immediately recognised his worth on the first day of training. I am sorry Gomes is better advised to leave. This is beyond stupid, just like watching United for the past 6-7 years. It seems everyone at Old Trafford is high on something, judging by the kind of decisions we've seen in recent years.

Pogba wasn't playing great at the time for the reserves though that season so couldn't start making unrealistic demands, no matter who played in the same position as him. But he hadn't proven anything at the time, so how can you hand a reserve team player first team wages along with blowing a wage structure, look at what it did with Alexis and his wages.
The only person ahead of Pogba then was the highly skilled and troublesome Ravel Morrison. Well he proved he was more than right in his demand to be given a chance in the first team; the Juve team where he had immediate impact had a better midfield than us. Please don't count Scholes and Giggs, it was a travesty that we relied on them for so long, blocking the path for young players and the future of the team.

It's pretty obvious that full internationals were mentioned along with goal scorers at under age groups. Gomes and Chong fell into neither category.
Good heavens. What kind of argument is this? We don't have to defend everything done by the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldyella

its usually these ones who don't make it into the 1st team. go through the academy prospects who have broken into the first team, over the past 20 years and player 25 + games per season.
Evans, O'Shea, Fletcher, Rashy, McTom, Da Silva x 2, Brown, Gibson, Welback, Cleverley. How many were hyped as certified superstars?

Now think of all those who didn't make it
Ravel, Rossi, Keane, Wilson, Macheda, Gomes, Chong

going back the last 20 years, Rashford and Welbeck were the only winners of the Jimmy Murphy award who you could consider 1st team regulars. Gibson was more a bench player. The rest were never seen again.........
Harsh to dump Rossi in with the likes of ravel etc. He was done by injuries nothing else.

Alemar

It's strange to see people wondering why Gomes isn't signing a contract. It's not about him not getting game time per se, it's about him being rated lower than sh...Lingard and Mata by the manager.

Even if Gomes gets a game and doesn't play well, it will still be much better than what Lingard is showing

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I remember Pogba saying he needs more game time before he signs a new contract. Fergie played him but Raiola convinced him to sign for Juve anyway.
The main issue was Raiola who knew his paycheck would be far bigger if Pogba signed for Juve than if he signed a new contract with us.
I just hope that Gomes is not being advised to go the same route
How many games did he get in that last season?

Stacks

Harsh to dump Rossi in with the likes of ravel etc. He was done by injuries nothing else.
I meant here at United. Rossi went on to become a big player in a big league. I am referring to hyped starlets actually breaking into our 1st team and fulfilling their promise. Mostly it goes by the wayside

NWRed

Good heavens. What kind of argument is this? We don't have to defend everything done by the club.
I'm not defending anything because there's nothing to defend, I pointed out the obvious.

mu4c_20le

It's strange to see people wondering why Gomes isn't signing a contract. It's not about him not getting game time per se, it's about him being rated lower than sh...Lingard and Mata by the manager.

Even if Gomes gets a game and doesn't play well, it will still be much better than what Lingard is showing
That doesn't make any sense, and if he really feels that way, then he is arrogant beyond belief. Regardless of what fans think of them, those two are senior players and Lingard deserves to be given a chance to regain his form after coming back from injury. It's not like Gomes has just returned from one or two successful loan spells and is demanding a chance. And it's not the same as the Pogba situation where fullbacks were played out of position ahead of him. He was given a few chances and looked nervous like Garner, who will also need to be patient and wait for the next opportunity.

Artorias

That doesn't make any sense, and if he really feels that way, then he is arrogant beyond belief. Regardless of what fans think of them, those two are senior players and Lingard deserves to be given a chance to regain his form after coming back from injury. It's not like Gomes has just returned from one or two successful loan spells and is demanding a chance. And it's not the same as the Pogba situation where fullbacks were played out of position ahead of him. He was given a few chances and looked nervous like Garner, who will also need to be patient and wait for the next opportunity.
Agree. The same goes for Chong.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he can't get in the match day squad over ineffective players like Lingard and Andreas than it's probably best for his career to move on. He is only a few months younger than Jadon Sancho, yet look at the difference in their careers. He is older than Hudson-Odoi, and look at the difference.

If the manager isn't going to give you a chance, it's best to just go elsewhere.

ash_86

I am tired of hearing these kind of sayings regurgitated every time Gomes is mentioned. You don't pass judgement on someone without a fair trial. Ole hasn't given Gomes one. It becomes even more irritating because Mata and Lingard have consistently played crap football, even when surrounded by the best squad we can assemble. I repeat, anything short of playing him in his natural position, with the best players in the team around him should not be used to judge him. That includes any meaningless introduction 5 mins to end of game, even if in his natural position. And even with his best position and the best we have, you can not just judge a young player after one game. It's pointless comparing him to Williams or any other player, people are different. Sure there is no God given right he should play but there is also no God given right that Ole should be in charge. He shouldn't take his legendary statue for granted.

Take a look at the Astana game and you would realise he was one of the better players that day. It wasn't his fault that Matic and Fred chose not to or were incapable of passing to him when he took up intelligent positions. Please look at the video of his display in that game and compared it to those of Lingard and Mata in the individual games they have played. The only valid argument against his play that day was that he should have dropped deeper to get the ball when the old guards failed to pick him out. But we are talking of kids for goodness sake, it was the duty of the more experienced players to help guide him.
Game time are earned not given out for free. For all we know Gomes has already made up his mind and informed the club about it. If that's the case why would you want to bring him on? We have seen Ole hand out starts to several academy players already. So if it's not happening for one particular player, I'd say it's the player that's not doing something right. We cannot bend our backs and beg them to stay. Gomes only has to look around to see sheer amount of academy players that contribute to the first team. You wouldn't see this at any other big club.

Even after looking at so many youngsters given opportunities, if Gomes isn't sure if he'll get game time then good luck finding some other big club that'll do him a favor. For every Pogba there are 100s of Janujaz.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Give him and Greenwood some starts in home PL games. This whole cup thing is weird. You can give youth a chance in the league as well - especially in games where you've got a good team out and at OT.

mu4c_20le

Give him and Greenwood some starts in home PL games. This whole cup thing is weird. You can give youth a chance in the league as well - especially in games where you've got a good team out and at OT.
That's the problem, we haven't got a good team for awhile, until Martial returned from injury and Fred finally clicking. Up until now we've been stucvk in the bottom half of the table, and every game was Ole fighting for his job. When there were easier games with less to lose, like Astana at home he was given a full start.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's the problem, we haven't got a good team for awhile, until Martial returned from injury and Fred finally clicking. Up until now we've been stucvk in the bottom half of the table, and every game was Ole fighting for his job. When there were easier games with less to lose, like Astana at home he was given a full start.
Fair enough. But the kid hasn't even been brought in late in games and we've preferred Lingard of all people, instead. On the other hand, Greenwood with his finishing in the cups has shown that he deserves some starts probably regardless of the rest of the cast, but it hasn't happened either. Hopefully they get more chances soon.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A bit disappointed that there was no question about the contract situation of Gomes & Chongy in the presser.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A bit disappointed that there was no question about the contract situation of Gomes & Chongy in the presser.
Unfortunately I don't think we're going to hear anything about it until they're free to negotiate with other clubs.

Based Adnan

Wasn't involved for U23s and not even on the bench today. Not injured because he played for England U20s. He's clearly been frozen out as he's not signed a deal.

Robindinho

Wasn't involved for U23s and not even on the bench today. Not injured because he played for England U20s. He's clearly been frozen out as he's not signed a deal.
Same thing seems to be happening with Chong too... If they aren’t in the squad for Astana, then we’ll definitely know it’s the case.

AltiUn

Same thing seems to be happening with Chong too... If they aren’t in the squad for Astana, then we’ll definitely know it’s the case.
They were with the squad today they just didn't make the last 18.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll probably start midweek. Not sure what people were expecting today. We're not playing with a 10 and to replace one of the front 3 positions the option is going to be Greenwood if needed.
Chong might be off, but I'm pretty confident in Gomes staying.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think Gomes will play v Astana, along with Greenwood and Garner. Think Shaw might get a run, with Young at RB. Tuanzebe and Jones, Lingard and Mata. Chong, Laird, Levitt on the bench.

AltiUn

I think only Chong was.
15:02
United's 21-man provisional squad revealed
United’s squad has arrived at Bramall Lane and these are the 21 players that are in it:
  • De Gea, Kovar, Grant; Wan-Bissaka, Jones, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Lindelof, Williams, Young; Garner, Fred, Pereira, Gomes, Lingard, Mata; James, Martial, Rashford, Chong, Greenwood
That's what I was going off.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
15:02
United's 21-man provisional squad revealed
United’s squad has arrived at Bramall Lane and these are the 21 players that are in it:
  • De Gea, Kovar, Grant; Wan-Bissaka, Jones, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Lindelof, Williams, Young; Garner, Fred, Pereira, Gomes, Lingard, Mata; James, Martial, Rashford, Chong, Greenwood
That's what I was going off.
Ah fair enough, didn't see him in some of the other lists.

In Rainbows

After 15+ matches what has Pereira done to deserve being an automatic go to player over Gomes? What Pereira provides, Gomes can provide, except he's younger so has more room to grow, is more talented, and hasn't had mountains of evidence that prove he isn't good enough.

If age is all that's being considered it's poor management of the squad. And again, this isn't a question of throwing Gomes to the wolves. It's letting him play more than he is right now as he can't even make the bench.

Red_toad

Clearly frozen out? Jeez the conspiracy theorist hard at work within you. United have never frozen out players who don’t renew contracts. Only way you get frozen out would be to overstep the mark and have the club force you out.
Lad trains with the first team, that is not a sign of being frozen out. Last player frozen out was Bastian as he was living the playboy dream and not professional for Jose.

Joe297

He'll get a good chance tonight. Play well tonight and he may find himself with an opportunity against Villa off the bench perhaps. He needs to play well though. He is obviously behind Lingard, Mata and Pereira at the minute so he needs to come up with performances and make Ole question whether he should be getting in ahead of the aforementioned players.

Ekeke

He'll get a good chance tonight. Play well tonight and he may find himself with an opportunity against Villa off the bench perhaps. He needs to play well though. He is obviously behind Lingard, Mata and Pereira at the minute so he needs to come up with performances and make Ole question whether he should be getting in ahead of the aforementioned players.
Ole seems to see him as a left sided player for now, so he's competing with our wingers

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think now we see why he isn't really getting a look in in Prem matches.

He's just not so impossibly good that he's a million miles better than any of our other options, then factor in experience and physical stature and it makes sense.

Don't have any clue why he plays on the left when he does get his chance though.

3KDré

Looked better when we had more of the ball and towards the end of the game when we pushed higher. Not a surprise at all. I think he should be getting more game time in less important games, he is a better creator than Lingard, Mata and Pereira.

He does seem to fade out of games though. Maybe it's something that comes with playing time.

kundalini

I thought he performed fairly well. Nice free-kick that forced the keeper into a good save. Forgot to track their full-back for Bernard's own goal. A couple of shots early on that were blocked. Tried a few creative passes that didn't come off. 3 key passes. Over-hit one cross in the first half and a wide free-kick in the 2nd. Delayed the pass over the top to Greenwood too long, so Mason ended up offside.

Not sure why he was playing on the left, rather than as no 10.

However, he didn't do enough to convince me he should be in the PL side right now. Hopefully, he gets plenty more starts before the end of the season. At the moment he looks to me like a player to loan out for a season or two but things can change suddenly at his age.

The balance of team seems too lightweight right now, so I think it would be difficult to accommodate another small technical player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.