5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWRed

Personally thought he was pretty quiet tonight. Was overdoing it at times. Would have liked to have seen him play central over that waste of a jersey that is Jesse Lingard.
Exactly what I thought, he seems nervous and too keen to impress instead of just playing his natural game. He needs a loan move and regular first team football playing at no 10, preferably in the Championship.

Based Adnan

Completely and utterly mismanaged. No doubt we'll see wheelchair Mata being wheeled out for another ineffective display.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Completely and utterly mismanaged. No doubt we'll see wheelchair Mata being wheeled out for another ineffective display.
Yep, disappointed that he isn't in the squad, but I suppose if he was looking that good in training, he would be in, so to me, he's not really doing it. I've said that I think he will be our 10 by the end of the season, but it's not looking to good at the moment for him. He is one player who could open up teams who play deep, probably not as good at that as Mata at the moment, but definitely a better engine, and work rate. Let's hope he's in the team v Colchester next week.

Varun1

What makes you say that? At a time when so many youth players are getting a chance, how has he been mismanaged? Am not referring to previous seasons...
IMO it's the right choice to freeze him if he's not going to sign a contract. There is a route to the first team, youth players should be able to see that now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, disappointed that he isn't in the squad, but I suppose if he was looking that good in training, he would be in, so to me, he's not really doing it. I've said that I think he will be our 10 by the end of the season, but it's not looking to good at the moment for him. He is one player who could open up teams who play deep, probably not as good at that as Mata at the moment, but definitely a better engine, and work rate. Let's hope he's in the team v Colchester next week.
Think it's more this.

We're going strong tonight to win the group, the reserves played just 3 days ago also.

Let's be honest Gomes while very talented looks a bit off the pace in terms of stamina as much as anything, he needs to work on that before he will get regular top level football.

mu4c_20le

Trust in our coaches. If he was truly our most talented player, then we would've put out all the stops to ensure he stays and to develop him. And before anyone brings up Pogba again, nobody wanted him to leave back then.

Roboc7

Needed to be loaned out, wasted season for him, same for Chong. I still expect both to leave and for benefit of their careers that is maybe the right decision.

Nero

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have got this the wrong way round. I don't think he's leaving due to not getting game time.

I think he's made it clear to the club he isn't signing a new contract so therefore he's been left out.

izec

Well well well, where are all the guys that told me in the summer everything is fine, when it was obvious we didnt play him and that he didnt want to sign after that. Now he doesnt play because he doesnt sign

MrBest

He may not be pulling up trees but surely he is better than Andreas. I have no coaching experience whatsoever but even I can see he is shiite.

Dr. StrangeHate

I think it seems so he has decided to leave and already has offers hence hasn't accepted ours. We can't expect Ole to play him if that's the case.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If he doesn’t want to sign the contract I don’t see why we would be playing him.

If he isn’t committed to us now then I’m sure his head would’ve been turned later down the line if he is indeed any good.

izec

Smart move by him to be fair, he would only be wasted here by the looks of it. Easy to blame the player, when he clearly was rocking on pre season tour and still got overlooked during it and afterwards. Thats when he decided to move i guess. I cant imagine him not being good in training at the start of the season, but he quite clearly isnt rated that much by Ole after probably tearing it up. Pogba 2.0. We will regret this

He'sRaldo

Smart move by him to be fair, he would only be wasted here by the looks of it. Easy to blame the player, when he clearly was rocking on pre season tour and still got overlooked during it and afterwards. Thats when he decided to move i guess. I cant imagine him not being good in training at the start of the season, but he quite clearly isnt rated that much by Ole after probably tearing it up. Pogba 2.0. We will regret this
Even Chong was "rocking on pre season tour". As was Andreas last year. Means little.

izec

Even Chong was "rocking on preseason tour". As was Andreas last year. Means nothing.
Chong wasnt. He had one decent game. Gomes was one of our best performers, he really was. Exciting and used his chances, only to not get selected afterwards. Absolute joke

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Chong wasnt. He had one decent game. Gomes was one of our best performers, he really was. Exciting and used his chances, only to not get selected afterwards. Absolute joke
You have no idea whether he's 'tearing it up' in training or not so you have no idea if it's an 'absolute joke' or not.

You've also made it sound like he was the second coming of Messi on tour when he wasn't really a standout.

Adamsk7

It’s clear he just isn’t doing it in training. I don’t understand how anyone can think a manager can afford to have agendas against players - if Gomes was a good option, he’d be playing because winning games is all that matters

look at Greenwood - loads of game time because he is proving he’s good enough. Same with Brandon Williams.

lsd

The Oracle
Ole has shown if players are good enough then they will play regardless of age . If Gomes isn't playing then he simply isn't good enough

King Andow

Hard to commit when you're a talented 19-year-old and nothing players (Lingard, Pereira and Mata) are ahead of you regardless of form and return.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
He is going, hopefully he will have a good career and if he leaves on good terms he is welcomed back.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone one of Howson's patreons? He apparently has some news on what's going on with his contract

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There’s quite a fixation with him. He has talent, but not necessarily the nailed on superstar he’s made to be. He’s had limited chances I agree, but has been average when he has anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There’s quite a fixation with him. He has talent, but not necessarily the nailed on superstar he’s made to be. He’s had limited chances I agree, but has been average when he has anyway.
It can all change quickly, Chong had been pure trash in all his appearances but now suddenly his last 2 games he's looked quite good (1 yard missed sitter aside)

It's strange any academy player would want to go elsewhere right now given the avenue Ole is providing them to the first team so maybe there's more to it

Bwuk

Can’t say I’m that arsed if he leaves.

Ole is clearly given youth a chance, if he thinks he’s better off elsewhere then goodbye.

flappyjay

Needed to be loaned out, wasted season for him, same for Chong. I still expect both to leave and for benefit of their careers that is maybe the right decision.
A lot of players got into the team through loans. Any epl team they go to they would struggle to break into the team. It's obviously taking them long to adapt to the men's game

ash_86

Yup have to agree. If loads of academy grads are getting chances and this one isn't then we cannot blame the manager. Something gomes not doing right.

Stadjer

Lingard and Mata also have been average (at best) in his position. Based on past performances there is no reason that Mata deserved to play today instead of Gomes

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lingard and Mata also have been average (at best) in his position. Based on past performances there is no reason that Mata deserved to play today instead of Gomes
Lingard and Mata have already served their apprenticeship and established themselves as senior pros. Gomes would like to do so, and isn’t pulling up trees when turned to. He’s in no position to demand the same treatment as them. He needs to be twice as good.

flappyjay

It’s clear he just isn’t doing it in training. I don’t understand how anyone can think a manager can afford to have agendas against players - if Gomes was a good option, he’d be playing because winning games is all that matters

look at Greenwood - loads of game time because he is proving he’s good enough. Same with Brandon Williams.
This is it. It's that simple

Stadjer

Lingard and Mata have already served their apprenticeship and established themselves as senior pros. Gomes would like to do so, and isn’t pulling up trees when turned to. He’s in no position to demand the same treatment as them. He needs to be twice as good.
I rather have the best player play instead of the older and more experience. Gomes hasnt been any worse than Mata this season, there have been moments that Mata looked incapable of running. Lingard played well his last two games but before that he was shocking...

Playing the older players just because they are older sounds a bit cowerdly to me. How is Gomes ever going to pass his 'apprenticeship' and establish himself if he doesnt even get to play today?

Also if the older players arent clearly better than the younger player i would prefer the younger player to play... not wait for the younger one to be twice as good as the older and more experienced one.

flappyjay

I rather have the best player play instead of the older and more experience. Gomes hasnt been any worse than Mata this season, there have been moments that Mata looked incapable of running. Lingard played well his last two games but before that he was shocking...

Playing the older players just because they are older sounds a bit cowerdly to me. How is Gomes ever going to pass his 'apprenticeship' and establish himself if he doesnt even get to play today?

Also if the older players arent clearly better than the younger player i would prefer the younger player to play... not wait for the younger one to be twice as good as the older and more experienced one.
Even Chong made it to the bench and played today. Maybe just maybe wonder boy is not ready for first team football.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No sympathy for this kid. If your attitude keeps you out of opportunities in the land of golden opportunities then you don't deserve it. Simple as.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

He passes his apprenticeship by playing better than he has done when given opportunities. He might then get some more. All he’s shown is that he isn’t ready. Easy to say ‘play the better player’, but that is not determined on u18 performances. Gomes hasn’t shown he’s a better option than anyone as a 10 yet. Well, maybe Mata, but not the other two. And it hasn’t exactly been a high bar to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.