Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Not only small but also slight. He should go to Germany to a midtable team like Leverkusen..

Mickson

I think Mourinho isn't fit to lace Ole's boots when it comes to judging youngsters. He might be a more decorated manager (for now) but judging youth players was never his specialty.
Based on what? Not saying that it's Mou's specialty, or that Ole is bad at it. Just that we don't really know, so it's odd saying that. All I'm saying is that both Mou and Fergie, well respected and knowledgable, experienced managers, have been wrong. So wouldn't really be shocking if Ole got it wrong.

Rish Sawhney

Based on what? Not saying that it's Mou's specialty, or that Ole is bad at it. Just that we don't really know, so it's odd saying that. All I'm saying is that both Mou and Fergie, well respected and knowledgable, experienced managers, have been wrong. So wouldn't really be shocking if Ole got it wrong.
except both Fergie and Ole offered the players contracts while Mourinho pushed them out. There’s a big difference.

Zen86

Like Pogba showed Fergie? Or De Bruyne or Salah showed Mourinho? Managers make mistakes, and in that category, Ole is not even fit to lace Mourinho's or Ferguson's boots when it comes to judgment, so a bit surprising all think that Ole is some kind of mastermind who never gets it wrong. Not saying that Gomes would be a star, but I find it weird that he didn't get a real chance. Ole might be right, he might be wrong. Time will tell.
Ole was dishing out plenty of games to youngsters. If Gomes wasn’t getting many appearances in the first team, there was probably a reason for it. This is ignoring the fact that he hadn’t looked overly impressive when he did get a chance.

And Mourinho has a good track record with youth does he? :lol:

el3mel

That "if he was good enough he would have played" is the silliest excuse I have heard. Managers judge poorly from time to time. They're not Gods.

Nick7

It’s clear he wasn’t playing in the second half of the season because of contract issues

UncleBob

Hasn't proven he's worth the trouble.

Hope he fails miserably at whatever club he ends up at, to prove a point to the other youngsters

UncleBob

That "if he was good enough he would have played" is the silliest excuse I have heard. Managers judge poorly from time to time. They're not Gods.
Solskjær has again and again shown that he's willing to give youngsters the time to prove themselves. Gomes has played, failed to prove he belongs at the level required to play for United and refused to sign a new contract offer while there's plenty of talk about how he believes he should be more involved than he has been.

No idea why some seem to think that we've let Gomes down

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Why laugh? Can't believe I'm wasting my daily posts on you with this topic but ok, you don't even have to look at Messi to see how short players can flourish, just look at possibly our greatest midfielder of all time? Scholes was 5'6 ffs & absolutely bossed the midfield.
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Xavi another midfielder at 5'7,
Garrincha another attacker at 5'7,
Alexis Sanchez who everyone on here was thirsty for at one point is 5'6,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,
So many more like Mata, Tevez, Iniesta, Pedro.. players from all over the world, including the premier league, from all different positions that have been superstars despite being small.

It's about time this archaic view of "too short, won't be good" died. Just accept we lost a player with a lot of potential and it may or may not come back to haunt us. I'm not guaranteeing Gomes will be a superstar, but to simply rule out the possibility based on height? Moronic.

Edit: Feel stupid leaving out 5'6 Kante. Ok, now I'm actually done.
Hoping you get promoted to the main forum.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
One manager maybe, but when it's multiple managers you have to wonder.
He made his first team debut three years ago.
Hasn't broken through since then.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Why laugh? Can't believe I'm wasting my daily posts on you with this topic but ok, you don't even have to look at Messi to see how short players can flourish, just look at possibly our greatest midfielder of all time? Scholes was 5'6 ffs & absolutely bossed the midfield.
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,
So many more like Mata, Tevez, Iniesta, Pedro.. players from all over the world, including the premier league, from all different positions that have been superstars despite being small.

It's about time this archaic view of "too short, won't be good" died. Just accept we lost a player with a lot of potential and it may or may not come back to haunt us. I'm not guaranteeing Gomes will be a superstar, but to simply rule out the possibility based on height? Moronic.

Scholes was 5ft 7 what a wasted poor quality post ;)

Joking aside well said! Get this man a promotion!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,

With all due respect, Gomes is even shorter than everyone on the list you gave, by 2 or 3 inches.
You do realise that Gomes was lucky to be in United's academy? So many players get turned away for being too small or not strong enough from academy's.
Height isn't the be all and end all ( unless your Jose) but it does have a big say in today's game.
We don't know what Gomes can become but his height and general somatotype may well stand against him going forward.

lsd

The Oracle
Hope he does well but can't help feeling the reason he wasn't playing enough was his efforts in training which doesn't bode well for him .

Barnslig

Ole was dishing out plenty of games to youngsters. If Gomes wasn’t getting many appearances in the first team, there was probably a reason for it. This is ignoring the fact that he hadn’t looked overly impressive when he did get a chance.

And Mourinho has a good track record with youth does he? :lol:
Surely towards the end, when it was clear to everyone that Lingard and Pereira's minutes should've been given to Gomes, he was left out because his refusal to sign a contract? Our contract offer must have been in his hands for months now, and the more clear it became he was not going to sign, he was most definitely not getting any game time. I really wanted Gomes to commit and stay, but sometimes you have to make an example out of someone to show other youngsters the club wont be held ransom.

Red_toad

It’s clear he wasn’t playing in the second half of the season because of contract issues
Odd how Chong was having same issues and got game time. Plus he was injured quite a few times when he probably would have played, as he was on MUTV interviews leading up to certain games where he was looking forward to playing. But please feel free to continue with your train of thought, as I don't believe it has any basis.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Odd how Chong was having same issues and got game time. Plus he was injured quite a few times when he probably would have played, as he was on MUTV interviews leading up to certain games where he was looking forward to playing. But please feel free to continue with your train of thought, as I don't believe it has any basis.
This. I remember Chong getting game time when he was in a similar contract negotiations. I guess people are coming up with their own narratives.

Tony247

Guys are forgetting gomez and chong were given a start against Astana (when we won 1-0). Astana was relatively poor team compare to even bottom 10 clubs in PL, and against them both struggled. I still remember the game. Couldn't create, couldn't dominate. Just some moment of brilliance here and there doesn't cut it out. Both were among lowest rated players. And guess who replaced both? Mata and Lingard. And suddenly we started playing much better. Now if both mata and lingard can't guarantee a place on bench, where that leaves gomez?

Tony247

Surely towards the end, when it was clear to everyone that Lingard and Pereira's minutes should've been given to Gomes, he was left out because his refusal to sign a contract?
Most likely he was left out because he is poorer than lingard?

Barnslig

Most likely he was left out because he is poorer than lingard?
Definitely also a possibility, however in my mind the few times he played he was not clearly worse than Lingard, and he definitely has more potential than Lingard, which leaves me to believe there was more to it, but who knows

In Rainbows

Guys are forgetting gomez and chong were given a start against Astana (when we won 1-0). Astana was relatively poor team compare to even bottom 10 clubs in PL, and against them both struggled. I still remember the game. Couldn't create, couldn't dominate. Just some moment of brilliance here and there doesn't cut it out. Both were among lowest rated players. And guess who replaced both? Mata and Lingard. And suddenly we started playing much better. Now if both mata and lingard can't guarantee a place on bench, where that leaves gomez?
There are different stages to poor. Gomes wasn't poor in the same way Chong was. Gomes was quiet, but it's not like he was messing things up. Chong was poor.

Gomes has largely been like that in all his appearances. He's never really suffered from poor touches, boneheaded plays, playing immature, etc...

Tony247

There are different stages to poor. Gomes wasn't poor in the same way Chong was. Gomes was quiet, but it's not like he was messing things up. Chong was poor.

Gomes has largely been like that in all his appearances. He's never really suffered from poor touches, boneheaded plays, playing immature, etc...
To be honest I have not watched him as youth much but in his senior appearance he seemed to me more like a 5 yards pass merchant.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Surely a player can get more than 1 chance to shine given that a certain player called Lingard who has been shite for a couple of years keeps getting opportunities?

Tony247

Surely a player can get more than 1 chance to shine given that a certain player called Lingard who has been shite for a couple of years keeps getting opportunities?
Agree to that. Don't know how he fairs in training but yeh more chances, or at least 10-15 mins appearances wouldn't have hurt.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I suspect he’ll go down the Januzaj route. Bags of talent but not the mentality. He obviously also has the physical side to overcome.
People are questioning his mentality based on absolutely no evidence.

Paranoid Android

People are questioning his mentality based on absolutely no evidence.
It's out of fear. People are so terrified that he'll go and do well elsewhere that they'll go to lengths to discredit his character/talent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's out of fear. People are so terrified that he'll go and do well elsewhere that they'll go to lengths to discredit his character/talent.
I have been saying for six months, if he was my kid brother, I would be telling him to leave. If the manager won't pick him ahead of the likes of Lingard and co, he hasn't got a prayer about playing.
The guy is leaving because he wants to play. How can anyone have a problem with that? He has been professional and respectful. Not made any comments, made himself available and trained like normal. Just last week, the coach said he's been working very hard.
I hold no grudges and hope he becomes the player I think he will be.

UncleBob

Terrible take.

I hope he succeeds.
Why?
Youth players needs to have faith in the people at the club and that they know what they are doing,
if the club reckons you need more time then there's a reason behind it. Gomes sodding off on a free transfer and being an instant success at another club will just make the process at the club more difficult. How easy would it have been to handle Adnan had he actually been a success at Dortmund, after the club and manager tried to talk him out of the move as the feeling was that he wasn't ready to play at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.