Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
United generally don't make many mistakes when releasing players. Pogba and Pique being massive exceptions.
United don't make mistakes full stop. Pogba seriously? And Pique, in hindsight letting him go to Zaragoza on loan for the season whilst possibly the right thing to do re. his homesickness it was obvious we'd have to let the kid go back to Spain.

LVGSdive

Bar Greenwood, Marcus and mctominay the other academy graduates had to go on loan to earn a place in the team. If he felt the minutes were not enough why not extend and go on loan. If he had done well on loan came back and had not got a fair chance I would understand his frustration.
He wanted to go on loan. The club said no.

Infestissumam

He wanted to go on loan. The club said no.
sending him on loan without him re-signing would have made no sense at all. If he had signed a new deal, they might have done it ... just look at Henderson or even Andreas back then, they both signed new deals before being loaned out. That's how it works.

TheHeya

It's not a mistake if there's nothing you can do, even if SAF had played Pogba more he was still leaving when he did, his agent would have made sure of it.
Agreed, his agent probably would have asked for more should SAF have given Pogba more minutes

Grande

Seriously, we’re all just speculating almost blindly about this one. Meaningless.

On a less serious note, here is my guess:
Gomes was one of England’s two biggest talents (with Sanco) at 16, mostly playing 18-year olds. Mou gave him a start because he deserved it, and Mou wanted to look like Fergie, but wasn’t really thinking about the kid’s development path. After that, Gomes hardly got a minute under Mou, not surprising given the kind of footballers and play he wants. He probably was disheartened in this. During the same period, Gomes had a few injuries, and developped less physically than hoped, while players like Foden Brewster and Hudson-Odoi in the England set up and in progress towards grown up football.

Gomes was always a captain, so his attitude towards coaches, training and trammates must be very good. As I remember, already in the U-23 team his one weakness was that he would often let the game pass him by, evenif he shone there as well. This tendency of being quiet we have seen on his quite a few occasions for the first team. There was also the question of what kind of player he would become, playing against kids, he would be a top scorer, at higher age level he couldn’t as easily manage the goals, and has even been played in midfield. Maybe he and his advisers see differently what kind of player he should become Butt, McKenna and Solskjær.

Gomes got game time early on under Solskjær, together with Chong and Greenwood. He has seen them and several others move past him in the queueline, while Lingard, Pereira and Mata have blockednhis path with less than stellar performances. At the same time, Gomes hasn’t actually been able to displace them with performances.

As I understand, his father Gil, the former footballer, has been his main agent, and I’m guessing his dad has watched from the sidelines and have been disappointed with the relative progress Gomes has made since his debut at 16, and three years later, a plan to ease him into first team football over another two or three years has made him think his son should try somewhere else.

flappyjay

Hope he goes there, would be a great platform for him to shine.
If he left us for them the he has all my respect. It would probably be a very good step for him. Not many young players would take this route. From an elite club to a less glamorous league takes some balls and humility considering that there are probably English, Portuguese and Spanish clubs that might want him.

Pace Abuser

I am baffled. Why has he turned down 25-30k without a club lined up? The fact he hasn't already walked into another club is very telling. Seems united have made the right choice.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not a mistake if there's nothing you can do, even if SAF had played Pogba more he was still leaving when he did, his agent would have made sure of it.
Pogba said himself that the Blackburn game made up his mind, seeing that midfield ahead of him. No one should blame him for leaving.

Icemav

What the actual hell :lol:

Ok so he is nutter.

Anyway I guess he feels 30k/wk and no guaranteed 1st team football is better than 0.00/wk plus no professional contract.

Good luck to him.

Ekeke

Kinda funny to see the posts about Gomes, making fun of the healing video. It was years ago and he explained already that his family is very religious and so he gave it a go. Its not something he's doing right now and lets be honest, if you had been following Gomes' career at all you must have known about it a while ago so why be bitter? Unless you really havent been following him in which case once again, why be bitter? You didnt care about him while he was at the club, why care now hes left?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Kinda funny to see the posts about Gomes, making fun of the healing video. It was years ago and he explained already that his family is very religious and so he gave it a go. Its not something he's doing right now and lets be honest, if you had been following Gomes' career at all you must have known about it a while ago so why be bitter? Unless you really havent been following him in which case once again, why be bitter? You didnt care about him while he was at the club, why care now hes left?
Maybe it’s an indication of the type of advice he’s been getting from his family? As in “trust in god he will surely guide you to your new club” type of thing. C’mon it’s a crazy thing to see, and perhaps shows his naïveté

Bogga

I've known about him being a talented kid, but it's not like I've been going through his trash for information... Didn't know about this until it popped up in my youtube-feed. And these healing videos are hilarious, they always heal people in their churches, but they never show up at hospitals working their magic...

I'm not bitter at all, I would've posted this video if he signed a contract as well...

Ekeke

Maybe it’s an indication of the type of advice he’s been getting from his family? As in “trust in god he will surely guide you to your new club” type of thing. C’mon it’s a crazy thing to see, and perhaps shows his naïveté
Sure, I agree. Its just its not something thats happening now and hes already talked about it and wasnt defending it or anything.

For those that followed him closely they're probably over it being kind of funny and those who were never that excited about him being a United player in the future, its no skin off their nose that hes gone because theres no chance we'd miss him

It may go either way, he might never really do much or he might succeed and be an international player for his country. We'll just have to see what happens

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sure, I agree. Its just its not something thats happening now and hes already talked about it and wasnt defending it or anything.

For those that followed him closely they're probably over it being kind of funny and those who were never that excited about him being a United player in the future, its no skin off their nose that hes gone because theres no chance we'd miss him

It may go either way, he might never really do much or he might succeed and be an international player for his country. We'll just have to see what happens
I think he’s got something and has big potential to be a very good player. But he’s had his head turned and been given bad advice. I wish him well though I wish he’d just signed, got his head down and worked hard. Time will tell.

I hadn’t seen that video before or heard about it

Red_toad

I am baffled. Why has he turned down 25-30k without a club lined up? The fact he hasn't already walked into another club is very telling. Seems united have made the right choice.
You're baffled as you've no idea what he's got agreed with anyone. Out of respect to the club he's obviously not going to announce where he's off to the day after running his contract down. I'm pretty sure his Dad has something lined up for him, if he's wanting to get regular game time and can get 10/20k a week elsewhere then shows he's not just about greed. I fully expect he'll be playing for a new club at the start of next season, one that will offer him greater chances to develop as a player.

Bondi77

Seriously, we’re all just speculating almost blindly about this one. Meaningless.

On a less serious note, here is my guess:
Gomes was one of England’s two biggest talents (with Sanco) at 16, mostly playing 18-year olds. Mou gave him a start because he deserved it, and Mou wanted to look like Fergie, but wasn’t really thinking about the kid’s development path. After that, Gomes hardly got a minute under Mou, not surprising given the kind of footballers and play he wants. He probably was disheartened in this. During the same period, Gomes had a few injuries, and developped less physically than hoped, while players like Foden Brewster and Hudson-Odoi in the England set up and in progress towards grown up football.

Gomes was always a captain, so his attitude towards coaches, training and trammates must be very good. As I remember, already in the U-23 team his one weakness was that he would often let the game pass him by, evenif he shone there as well. This tendency of being quiet we have seen on his quite a few occasions for the first team. There was also the question of what kind of player he would become, playing against kids, he would be a top scorer, at higher age level he couldn’t as easily manage the goals, and has even been played in midfield. Maybe he and his advisers see differently what kind of player he should become Butt, McKenna and Solskjær.

Gomes got game time early on under Solskjær, together with Chong and Greenwood. He has seen them and several others move past him in the queueline, while Lingard, Pereira and Mata have blockednhis path with less than stellar performances. At the same time, Gomes hasn’t actually been able to displace them with performances.

As I understand, his father Gil, the former footballer, has been his main agent, and I’m guessing his dad has watched from the sidelines and have been disappointed with the relative progress Gomes has made since his debut at 16, and three years later, a plan to ease him into first team football over another two or three years has made him think his son should try somewhere else.
Well constructed mate.
I would say that your summing up of the situation would be close to the truth.

Bondi77

If Dortmund are so big on talent then it sounds to me that would be the best place for him to go;
Game is more open and not as physical so he should get the chance to shine and play in Europe.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'll be amazed if Gomes turns out to be anything more than a mid-table player in England or Germany. I half expect him to be at an average Portuguese side in the next 3-4 years.

Fully prepared to have some egg on my face over this post in 12-24 months.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Agreed, his agent probably would have asked for more should SAF have given Pogba more minutes
Exactly, short of begging him to stay there was nothing United could do.

Pogba said himself that the Blackburn game made up his mind, seeing that midfield ahead of him. No one should blame him for leaving.
If he did that just makes him sound like a bigger twat than the coward who hid behind his agent at the time.

The guy couldn't even cope in a two-man midfield in the Reserves ffs, but nobody should blame the precious darling for leaving because SAF and his coaches didn't think and for bloody good reasons that he was ready to start a Premier League match, what the actual feck :lol:

Anyho, back to the Angel Gomes thread.

TsuWave

Kinda funny to see the posts about Gomes, making fun of the healing video.
Making fun of people’s spirituality is a dumb exercise. Especially when it comes to footballers. Half of these guys kneel and point to the sky when they score, and it’s all good. Angel goes to see someone for a prayer for his injuries and that’s where we’re drawing the “hold up, that’s too ridiculous now” line?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Man of god please help him
Lingard and Andreas got picked ahead of him

Lingard and Andreas : Suddenly play like shit
Oh wait
Now it all makes sense! why their performances never seemed to get better.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The guy couldn't even cope in a two-man midfield in the Reserves ffs, but nobody should blame the precious darling for leaving because SAF and his coaches didn't think and for bloody good reasons that he was ready to start a Premier League match, what the actual feck :lol:
can't believe these arguments are still made seriously. he went to one of the strongest teams and midfields in europe and became a starter within a few months.

LVGSdive

He has many offers. He is currently weighing them up to make the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.