Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Pretty ballsy move if he has nothing lined up, find that hard to believe though.

R'hllor

Lingard won’t be here next season and doesn’t start now. I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Gomes has showed nothing when given the chance and clearly hasn’t impressed in training.

Good luck to him.
You base that claim on? Lemme guess, feck all. Nobody said that we wont be fine.

R'hllor

Such a weird comment. Lingard hasn't played a single minute in the PL since January. He isn't even making the bench. If only we have given those 0 minutes to Gomes!
Talking about weird comments. Cherry picking Lingard from ( Lingard and likes ), then cutting off period before January like it doesnt count nor had impact on decision made recently and at the end slap some lame smartass comment about zero minutes since January. Damn

wolvored

Been reported he has offers a few times but no one has said which clubs. Only club that has been mentioned is Chelsea
Wasnt there a spanish second division side after him apparently, or am I mixing him up with someone else who has left :confused:

Ed9

Is god his agent? If so I hope we won't sign any more god's clients.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Talking about weird comments. Cherry picking Lingard from ( Lingard and likes ), then cutting off period before January like it doesnt count nor had impact on decision made recently and at the end slap some lame smartass comment about zero minutes since January. Damn
You mentioned Lingard, not me. 'And likes' isn't a phrase. Maybe you meant 'and the like?' It's not up to everyone else to decipher your rambling nonsense. We're in July. January isn't 'recent,' no matter how hard you try to blame it on Lingard.

Our squad is one of the youngest in the league. We have a higher concentration of academy players than any other team in Europe's top flight leagues. Opportunities aren't hard to come by here. This should tell you something.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not surprised by some post in here. Good luck to kid, good luck to us with Lingard and likes.
I'm quite annoyed at Gomez. This club has nurtured his talents for over a decade, and yet he leaves for his own selfish needs, without paying back any of that care or investment.

It's his own issues that impede his development, the club would have investigated every option for him to grow, but he leaves. It was different with Pogba, because we stole him from another clubs youth program, but Gomez was one of our own.

Nah, he's a selfish mercenary who thinks he is way better than he is. And that's probably the key reason why he is behind the likes the Foden and Greenwood.

R'hllor

You mentioned Lingard, not me. 'And likes' isn't a phrase. Maybe you meant 'and the like?' It's not up to everyone else to decipher your rambling nonsense. We're in July. January isn't 'recent,' no matter how hard you try to blame it on Lingard. It's called common sense.

Our squad is one of the youngest in the league. We have a higher concentration of academy players than any other team in Europe's top flight leagues. This should tell you something
Rambling nonsense, thats rich coming from you. Still ignoring time period before January, like those minutes had no impact on decision made regarding staying or leaving. In terms of minutes of the season and situation we are all in, January is recent, there is a reason why we are in July and still in a season...oh you ignoring that too.

I dont blame players for being picked to play game of football, just believe portion of those minutes should go somewhere else.

R'hllor

I'm quite annoyed at Gomez. This club has nurtured his talents for over a decade, and yet he leaves for his own selfish needs, without paying back any of that care or investment.

It's his own issues that impede his development, the club would have investigated every option for him to grow, but he leaves. It was different with Pogba, because we stole him from another clubs youth program, but Gomez was one of our own.

Nah, he's a selfish mercenary who thinks he is way better than he is. And that's probably the key reason why he is behind the likes the Foden and Greenwood.
Not saying that people should or shouldnt be annoyed with Gomez and decision he made. I dont know who is around him whispering God knows what in his ear. Just saying that some minutes should go to certain players earlier specially when you watch some drivel on the pitch game in game out. On top of that, sometimes it looks like we are waiting with contract extensions just so we can drain every single penny of running one ( probably on way lower wages compared to demanded wages for new contract).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He has every right to do what he thinks is the best thing for his career. We had the option to sell him 12 months ago and get money for him. We had the option to give him games over the last 12 months and he likely would have signed a new contract.

Gomes has played a grand total of 900 minutes of football this season, between the first team and reserves. 9 games worth of football. Part of that is because of injury, but part of it also seems to be that he is stuck between the first team and the reserves. He's been pulled out of quite a few reserves games this season to be with the first team but then not actually been involved (or got 10 minutes or less at the end of a match). If I were in his position I would leave as well as I would simply feel that at this stage of his career he needs to play games.

Are all the other youngsters who leave us and sign for lesser clubs to get gametime 'selfish mercenaries'? Do they all think that they are better than what they are? Or are they simply acknowledging that they aren't going to get to play games at Utd so go elsewhere?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He has every right to do what he thinks is the best thing for his career. We had the option to sell him 12 months ago and get money for him. We had the option to give him games over the last 12 months and he likely would have signed a new contract.

Gomes has played a grand total of 900 minutes of football this season, between the first team and reserves. 9 games worth of football. Part of that is because of injury, but part of it also seems to be that he is stuck between the first team and the reserves. He's been pulled out of quite a few reserves games this season to be with the first team but then not actually been involved (or got 10 minutes or less at the end of a match). If I were in his position I would leave as well as I would simply feel that at this stage of his career he needs to play games.

Are all the other youngsters who leave us and sign for lesser clubs to get gametime 'selfish mercenaries'? Do they all think that they are better than what they are? Or are they simply acknowledging that they aren't going to get to play games at Utd so go elsewhere?
Different players develop at different stages, that’s blatantly clear with Gomes. And as a club we have a track record of integrating such players at a slightly later stage. If he needed games, he would have gotten a loan next season.

I support Manchester United and players who show loyalty to our club. Gomes specifically owed us some of that.

He has been stupidly advised by agents looking for a short term pay off. Nah, I have no sympathy for him nor any interest in his future career.

He'sRaldo

Good point.

ivaldo

Rambling nonsense, thats rich coming from you. Still ignoring time period before January, like those minutes had no impact on decision made regarding staying or leaving. In terms of minutes of the season and situation we are all in, January is recent, there is a reason why we are in July and still in a season...oh you ignoring that too.

I dont blame players for being picked to play game of football, just believe portion of those minutes should go somewhere else.
It is not recent. Seriously, no one is buying it. Gomes has had over half a year to show commitment and to show he deserves to be starting, just like Greenwood has, and like McTominay did before him. Youth and academy players get more chances here than anywhere in the league. If he deserved a chance he'd have it . Common sense tells you that. And yet, you want to blame a player that has 0 minutes in the league in the last 6 months. FFS :lol:

mu4c_20le

Turning your back on the club that nurtured you since you were like six years old, yes it's pretty selfish. If he walks away it looks like we won't even get any compensation. I don't blame the lad for putting his career ahead of everything else, but I also don't like it when players feck off for free when their contract is up. It was not just about his career, he did not trust the club, the same club that is famous for bringing up youth players.

He'sRaldo

Turning your back on the club that nurtured you since you were like six years old, yes it's pretty selfish. If he walks away it looks like we won't even get any compensation. I don't blame the lad for putting his career ahead of everything else, but I also don't like it when players feck off for free when their contract is up. It was not just about his career, he did not trust the club, the same club that is famous for bringing up youth players.
Would you say the same if Lingard were to leave on a free?

R'hllor

It is not recent. Seriously, no one is buying it. Gomes has had over half a year to show commitment and to show he deserves to be starting, just like Greenwood has, and like McTominay did before him. Youth and academy players get more chances here than anywhere in the league. If he deserved a chance he'd have it . Common sense tells you that. And yet, you want to blame a player that has 0 minutes in the league in the last 6 months. FFS :lol:
This is last time from me, otherwise thread will be derailed ( your specialty as we all know it ) but damn, you are really desparate. Take care.

ivaldo

This is last time from me, otherwise thread will be derailed ( your specialty as we all know it ) but damn, you are really desparate. Take care.
Says the bloke bringing up Lingard. You're hopeless, you really are. Now close your legs, your agenda is showing.

SAFMUTD

Really surprising he hasnt signed with anyone, I doubt he'd be so stupid to not accept a renewal without having agreed with another team?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Really surprising he hasnt signed with anyone, I doubt he'd be so stupid to not accept a renewal without having agreed with another team?
Probably has offers

its been what, 6 days!

I’m sure he has something lined up, but with the season still going on, it’s probably a distraction to whoever is signing him.

SAFMUTD

its been what, 6 days!

I’m sure he has something lined up, but with the season still going on, it’s probably a distraction to whoever is signing him.
Normaly the player already anounces who is he signing with long before the contract expires. It kind bizarre that a talented player is left without a club at all.

Prodigal7

He’s almost certainly got offers coming out of his ears so no rush from his perspective. Probably the best positioned unemployed person in the world, definitely The best positioned unemployed teenager.

Makes me think he could still sign a new contract with us but if we’ve not met his demands already it seems unlikely we will change our position.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Normaly the player already anounces who is he signing with long before the contract expires. It kind bizarre that a talented player is left without a club at all.
He can't play for the new club yet anyway, probably hasn't even decided where to go yet but obviously has offers on the table waiting.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He literally hasn’t done anything and still rejected a 25k+ per week. I think that’s more than a generous offer for him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He literally hasn’t done anything and still rejected a 25k+ per week. I think that’s more than a generous offer for him.
Surely shows you that this decision was something beyond money. He's entering a critical development period for him and there's no benefit extending when he's not even making a team's match squads.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Surely shows you that this decision was something beyond money. He's entering a critical development period for him and there's no benefit extending when he's not even making a team's match squads.
I honestly think he would have been given chances next year if he stayed. If we brought in Grealish and Sancho and then he left I can totally understand but not now. Also look at the table we had a terrible first half of the season and we are still only around 10 points behind 2nd place. If we had done just a little better and gotten to 65 points now we could have given him a chance. It’s just that every game is a final from here on out so we can’t afford to introduce academy players in to the team.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If he cannot see the bigger picture for his career then it's on him.

1. This is the best place for a young player to develop. If the coaches think you are still maybe a year or 2 away then put your trust in them.
2. Sign the contract, go on loan next season, the club will eventually clear Lingard and Pereira out in the near term so when he's back from loan he could be rotating with Bruno then see where that takes him
3. Training with players like Bruno and Pogba will definitely improve your own game if you have the mentality to learn.

But obviously the route he has taken is also not a bad one. He could go to a smaller club and try to establish himself before moving to a bigger one.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I think it’s a sad moment. Gomes is the most ‘Manchester United’ youth player we had. Here since he was 6 he lived and breathed the club. I don’t begrudge him for leaving as I’m not convinced Ole fancies him all that much. I think Ole has the old school British mentality and wants physical qualities of some kind. That said, watching Gomes fairly extensively for United and England I have some of the same reservations, not his height per se but his strength and stamina. He has decent acceleration but lacks everywhere else. The game has become more physical and players are required to run further and harder than ever before. I hope he can prove me wrong and become the player we all hoped he would. I look forward to following his career wherever he ends up. Hope it’s somewhere like Holland or Portugal as those leagues would suit him more. It would be great if he joined the growing English contingent at VDG.

Had high hopes for him but Greenwood has shown what it takes for a youngster to get playing time at this level, Williams too.
Gomes just hasn’t ever done enough in his limited minutes for me and should have signed for another season at least.
Let’s see if he proves me wrong but I’d be amazed if he’s playing regularly at a top level before at least 2022. Can’t see him doing a Pogba and almost instantly being a top player in a top side.

fps

I think it's disrespectful for posts mocking his faith many say it's naive, really and truly those religious people could laugh just as much at others for not believing in what they believe that's life.
Naivety is part of what a belief in something that has no evidence for it involves, to be willingly naive. When people struggle with their faith it’s because there is no evidence for it being real, when they find their faith again they have made themselves naive again.

LVGSdive

What about all of the young players that get released who want to stay? Are all of the players we signed from other clubs that came from other academies mercenaries because they didn't stay at that club? It's a 2 way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.