Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

He has a lot of offers i imagine. Just waiting to decide. Which is exactly what he should be doing. A wrong move now and it could be pretty bad for him. He is doing the right thing. Only injuries can stop him.

Really curious to see where he ends up. I will be following his career closely.

Giggsy13

The Gomes Delusion is in full effect.
Delusion is some supporters comparing this to Pogba’s departure. I think it’s fair to say that some of us don’t highly rate him. If he has the perceived world class potential everyone was going on about we’d see far more glimpses of it.

In Rainbows

Delusion is some supporters comparing this to Pogba’s departure. I think it’s fair to say that some of us don’t highly rate him. If he has the perceived world class potential everyone was going on about we’d see far more glimpses of it.
The departure to Pogba is pretty apt in terms of where they were in their development. To suggest that Pogba had this obvious quality to him that Gomes didn't would be revisionist. Sure the debut season Pogba played with Juve proved he was on another level, but you couldn't tell based on his youth appearances or his first team appearances relative to Angel Gomes. Both Gomes and Pogba showed a similar amount of talent for the youth teams, and both showed similar quiet appearances for the first team.

In fact here is 3 performances from Pogba

The big difference comes from their ages. Pogba pretty much had his age 19 season for Juve, and dominated. Gomes just had his age 19 season for United and was quiet. However, both Pogba and Gomes left on similar terms & stature. Both were extremely talented and that's undisputed. Many believed both of them deserved more playing time based on that talent rather than on the pitch production.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
One guy's 6'4 and moves like Superman, the other's 5'3 and moves like he's 5'3.

That's a pretty big difference.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Any substance to the Besiktas rumours I keep hearing about?
Strange decision if true...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Any substance to the Besiktas rumours I keep hearing about?
Strange decision if true...
I wouldn't put too much weight behind them. The Turkish clubs (Fenerbahce, Besiktas, Galatasaray) get linked to every player at some point. One of them was linked with Kurt Zouma a couple of years ago.

Adamsk7

I think the talk of him having lots of offers and weighing up his options is rubbish. Why would a footballer purposefully not be training with a team to keep sharp and be happy not getting paid? Especially at his age where he needs to develop? He’s literally unemployed currently. If he knew he was leaving, which it seems he did, he would have had his agent getting offers and they would have made their choice a long time ago.
If he wants to have a month or two off them that’s pretty unprofessional because even 4-6 weeks of non competitive training will put him well behind any new teammates when the new season starts.

To me, it seems that he wanted us to come back in at the last minute with improved terms. A game of chicken started (as seen by Ole’s pressers about it) where we wouldn’t back down on the contract offered and he ended up leaving. His agent is probably now trying to get a deal on better terms than the 30k we apparently offered to save face and they are finding out that his stock isn’t quite as high as they thought.

Infestissumam

his camp overplayed their hand. Top teams weren't exactly lining up to sign him, otherwise there would have been at least semi-creditable links at some point.

30k was a solid offer from a club he knew and which has proven time and time again that they know how to develop young talent. Another young player that has obviously received bad advice.

crossy1686

career ending
Does anyone think he's regretting that decision not to sign now his only offer is Turkey or the Spanish second division?

Surprised he's not playing upfront with Messi or Ronaldo personally after the fuss people made on here about him leaving.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
One guy's 6'4 and moves like Superman, the other's 5'3 and moves like he's 5'3.

That's a pretty big difference.
Paul Pogba in full stride is the closest human comparison we have to a gazelle on the savanna. Quite awesome to see him go full stride. Angel Gomes just left the best thing that happend to him to seek out opportunities that the club would have afforded him in the form of a loan anyway. I just don't get it.

romufc

Does anyone think he's regretting that decision not to sign now his only offer is Turkey or the Spanish second division?

Surprised he's not playing upfront with Messi or Ronaldo personally after the fuss people made on here about him leaving.
Still people saying he is biding his time, mulling over offers etc.. If he was a special talent like the caf made him out to be, don't you think someone would have snapped him up by now?

He couldn't get ahead of Lingard or Perreira, that should say it all.

Monkey bus

I expect he’s had a club lined up for some time. I don’t think he’d have walked away from a reported £30k per week deal without having something similar already agreed in principle with another club.

Still very interested to see where he ends up though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If I were him I'd be very happy to go and play in the Spanish 2nd division tbf. He needs football now and a league without too many cloggers would probably be a good choice for the immediate future.

crossy1686

career ending
I expect he’s had a club lined up for some time. I don’t think he’d have walked away from a reported £30k per week deal without having something similar already agreed in principle with another club.

If he's got a deal lined up he could and should be training with them now. He absolutely did walk away because he's been very poorly advised by some absolute dickhead who wanted to fast track his status to being a millionaire.

izec

Not too worried about him, he will find a decent club. People think he will move to Turkey or 2nd division in Spain are funny. He will easily get an offer from a midtable club in the Bundesliga or La Liga.

And the ones saying that he is losing time with fitness and training. Yes, but there is no normal pre season or beginning of the season anyway. Everything will be delayed and Covid-19 isn't over yet, looks like it will be worse again. I don't see the need for him to rush things, he will get offers either way and will be at a new club at the latest once this season is over i assume. People love drama though.

SAFMUTD

I think the talk of him having lots of offers and weighing up his options is rubbish. Why would a footballer purposefully not be training with a team to keep sharp and be happy not getting paid? Especially at his age where he needs to develop? He’s literally unemployed currently. If he knew he was leaving, which it seems he did, he would have had his agent getting offers and they would have made their choice a long time ago.
If he wants to have a month or two off them that’s pretty unprofessional because even 4-6 weeks of non competitive training will put him well behind any new teammates when the new season starts.

To me, it seems that he wanted us to come back in at the last minute with improved terms. A game of chicken started (as seen by Ole’s pressers about it) where we wouldn’t back down on the contract offered and he ended up leaving. His agent is probably now trying to get a deal on better terms than the 30k we apparently offered to save face and they are finding out that his stock isn’t quite as high as they thought.
Makes sense, specially the point about him being currently unemployed are my thoughts as well.

NecssryEvil

Still people saying he is biding his time, mulling over offers etc.. If he was a special talent like the caf made him out to be, don't you think someone would have snapped him up by now?

Especially since it is a free transfer in most cases.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

Not sure if this has been posted.

From 13:32 onwards, just a minute or so. Find it interesting.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If I were him I'd be very happy to go and play in the Spanish 2nd division tbf. He needs football now and a league without too many cloggers would probably be a good choice for the immediate future.
Better than staying at United and go on loan? Let's see where he goes next but so far, it does not look like a great decision

Monkey bus

If he's got a deal lined up he could and should be training with them now. He absolutely did walk away because he's been very poorly advised by some absolute dickhead who wanted to fast track his status to being a millionaire.
I agree if he’s moved on hunting a bigger salary then he needs to sack the idiot advising him. You don’t need to leave a club like United to become a millionaire.

I hope he’s left as he wants to get some playing time. Don’t think he’d have been getting much next season even if we do have a clear out.

I guess we’ll find out next week or sometime soon after.

NecssryEvil

I am thinking he's had clubs that told his agent they were interested. His agent threw out numbers bigger than the 30k a week and the interest lessened. If they are also trying to get guaranteed playing time, that's probably reducing the teams even more.

I still think his best bet is to swallow his pride and go to a lower level team where he can shine and look for a move to a bigger club if/when they come after him.

romufc

Especially since it is a free transfer in most cases.
Exactly, given COVID where teams are looking for a creative player, you would think he is high on the list for most clubs?

German clubs begin their pre season in the next week so they would want to get him in when he is on a free.

Obviously, United did not give him game time assurances. Realistically, will he get infront of Bruno? No.

romufc

I am thinking he's had clubs that told his agent they were interested. His agent threw out numbers bigger than the 30k a week and the interest lessened. If they are also trying to get guaranteed playing time, that's probably reducing the teams even more.

I still think his best bet is to swallow his pride and go to a lower level team where he can shine and look for a move to a bigger club if/when they come after him.
Could of got both. United offering 25-30k then go on a year or 2 loan.

Guaranteed football, decent wage packet and you could potentially break into the United team without having to sell yourself.

crossy1686

career ending

Interesting that his dad thought it was 'disgraceful' he was playing for the U23's and that he should have been playing for 'Barcelona's first team' instead. Show's you exactly what's gone on there.

NecssryEvil

Could of got both. United offering 25-30k then go on a year or 2 loan.

Guaranteed football, decent wage packet and you could potentially break into the United team without having to sell yourself.
I wonder if that is where the agent is screwing things up for him, can't get that little extra something something just renewing with United.

Also, in regards to your other reply about getting in with Bruno ahead of him, he may also have been looking "behind" himself and seeing Hannibal licking his chops. ;)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

We beat Derby 2-0 with an Angel Gomes goal, a superb one at that.

Not exactly interesting when whoever this fat feck is doesn’t even know what the score was or who won the game. The match was also in Derby so most definitely wasn’t there.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I wouldn't put too much weight behind them. The Turkish clubs (Fenerbahce, Besiktas, Galatasaray) get linked to every player at some point. One of them was linked with Kurt Zouma a couple of years ago.
Ok cheers mate, thought it seemed a bit of a strange link.

Devil81

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he rocked up at one of the German clubs, they seem the go-to teams in terms of giving young talent a go.

Such a shame as I feel there is so much talent there and we won't get to see it.

Silverman

What would happen if ye approached the club now saying he'd like to re-sign?
Would the offer still be 30k? Would we accept him back?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wouldn't be at all surprised if he rocked up at one of the German clubs, they seem the go-to teams in terms of giving young talent a go.

Such a shame as I feel there is so much talent there and we won't get to see it.
Really? we've witnessed this 'great talent,' for some years now and he still hasn't broken through. To top that he's turned down a wage that he should be embarrassed to get given the state of the world right now.

I don't wish him any ill but I simply don't care where he ends up and I hope he's happy wherever that is.

Black Rick

A pandemic is still ongoing and many clubs will not finalise their summer transfer budgets until they know they have this season's television money in the bank, which is not yet the case given the season is not yet concluded.

Angel Gomes would be a fool to have made a final decision on his new club by now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was a rumour his agent said Barca wanted him and they used that as leverage, only to find out Barca wanted him for the B team. Not sure how true it is, but didn't something similar happen with Callum Gribbin? As in thought he would get into sides elsewhere and didn't really happen.

AshRK

That's the thing. If he was that good a top club would have got him by now. They may still do but something is wrong, maybe the agent is acting greedy butbif ultimately he ends up in turkish league then he is a fool.

Nick7

There was a rumour his agent said Barca wanted him and they used that as leverage, only to find out Barca wanted him for the B team. Not sure how true it is, but didn't something similar happen with Callum Gribbin? As in thought he would get into sides elsewhere and didn't really happen.
Liverpool wanted Gribbin, but they wanted him as a youth player with a view to first team football in the future. Same as we did.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gribbin started demanding to be in the first team and refused to play for the u23s. The coaching staff got sick of his shit and told him he wasn’t welcome at training anymore.

Gribbin was an arrogant prick who no one at the club particularly liked, the opposite of Angel.

Nori-

He's another Pereira, Januzaj, Lingard type player.

Years of us building them up for them to eventually fizzle out. He had a few chances at the first team and wasn't very good. He should have taken his chances like Rashford/Greenwood and proved he was worth playing more regularly.

I'm glad the club didn't throw silly money at his wages. Goodbye

Nick7

Gribbin started demanding to be in the first team and refused to play for the u23s. The coaching staff got sick of his shit and told him he wasn’t welcome at training anymore.

Gribbin was an arrogant prick who no one at the club particularly liked, the opposite of Angel.
Yeah, that was after the Liverpool interest and the club re-signed him for a year wasn't it? I remember he was tweeting about Liverpool or something before staying for another year, then refused to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.