Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev1l

There were rumours before even the season started that he was being advised to move on.
The wage he ll receive at the new club will be indicative about why he left.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
When you say United is missing out on more than we're bringing in, you realise your numbers are comparing the transfers of United (one club) vs those of all the other clubs in the world?
Statistically one would expect that we'd always be missing out on more than we're bringing in.

Losing Gomes is disappointing though, however, he never really made any impact with the appearances that he did get.
We are lucky as fans to have seen so many young players light up our team over the years. I’m old enough to remember Norman Whiteside breaking through as a teenager with amazing impact. So I think our fans are uniquely experienced to know when we have a real youth talent.

So far Gomez has showed me nothing at all to merit the hype and optismism he has been afforded. I’m not excited about him at all.

I’ll assume he has some talent as club offered him a contract, so hope he chooses his next club wisely to get the minutes within a culture that helps him leap ahead. Probably the right choice , because it wasn’t happening at United for him.

Glorio

Of course that's what it became in the short term, but in the long run he's a player who shouldn't have been allowed to let his contract run down like this. We should have been looking to get him on a reasonable contract 1/2 years ago with incentives to increase base wage depending on development. Again, no certainties he'll make it - and I suspect he ultimately won't reach the levels he could - but we're easily missing out on a potential £10m+ after all we've invested in him to get him to where he is now. Seeing him go for free is just bad business.

Of course you're going to miss out on players, but we're looking like missing out on players we really should be able to attract, and who are in turn choosing destinations that really shouldn't be seen as more attractive that Utd. Missing out on the likes of Bellingham and Haland to Dortmund in the space of a few months isn't a great sign, and will set a precedent to future prospects.
For young players looking for the next logical step in their career? A decently sized (but much smaller than United) successful team with a great playing style, who are more likely to give you a chance to play in a much less pressured environment, and way less press attention is very attractive. How much game time could we really promise most of these players now really? Bar Haaland - who may not even have felt confident himself, was also obviously influenced by his agent, and if you consider it, could have been put off by the fact that we looked a terrible outfit at the time - especially for a striker.

Question - if you were not a United fan, and you were one of them, at this stage of your career, what would be the sensible choice?

Come to what is still one of the biggest clubs in the world (where we're starting to look stacked in midfield), and risk getting swallowed up in this pressure cooker of expectation and frustration; or go to Dortmund for instance, where you'll get chances, good coaching, patience, and if you did do well, a lot more confidence, more clout to help guarantee a starting spot, choices of where to go, and much better deals available?

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Meh looked a talent a few years ago and then again in pre-season but did nothing of note in the few first team chances he did get this season

Hope he does well wherever he does go

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a shame. He was identified as the figurehead of the revamped academy and youngest player to play for the club since Duncan Edwards. The club had big plans for him.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him at United. When a kid has been at the club so long and shown such potential, it's really sad to see it end like this.

I'm sure he'll look back at how much he's grown since he first joined the academy at 6 years old. At least 2 inches . . . . .
It really is a shame. But then you see Money Mason Greenwood bagging 12 goals in his first season of football (who also seems to have been here since he was 6) and you remember how quality we are with the youth and it’s alright.

Last edited:

El Zoido

He’d get game time next season. We can’t blood all the youngsters at once and Gomes has looked complete garbage in the minutes he’s got. Young players at a big club need to impress in the brief moments they have on the pitch. Gomes didn’t. On what merit should he start ahead of Lingard and Mata, two players who have plenty of experience and know what it’s all about. There’s more to being a professional footballer than having twinkle toes, he’s done nothing. If he’d played better in the moments he got, he’d be playing more. Just like Rashford and Greenwood have done. I just don’t get the complaints here. Almost certainly he’s been offered more money somewhere else and we’re not going to match it (and rightfully so).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He’d get game time next season. We can’t blood all the youngsters at once and Gomes has looked complete garbage in the minutes he’s got. Young players at a big club need to impress in the brief moments they have on the pitch. Gomes didn’t. On what merit should he start ahead of Lingard and Mata, two players who have plenty of experience and know what it’s all about. There’s more to being a professional footballer than having twinkle toes, he’s done nothing. If he’d played better in the moments he got, he’d be playing more. Just like Rashford and Greenwood have done. I just don’t get the complaints here. Almost certainly he’s been offered more money somewhere else and we’re not going to match it (and rightfully so).
Brandon Williams too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
For young players looking for the next logical step in their career? A decently sized (but much smaller than United) successful team with a great playing style, who are more likely to give you a chance to play in a much less pressured environment, and way less press attention is very attractive. How much game time could we really promise most of these players now really? Bar Haaland

Question - if you were not a United fan, and you were one of them, at this stage of their career, what would be the sensible choice?

Come to what is still one of the biggest clubs in the world (where we're starting to look stacked in midfield), and risk getting swallowed up in this pressure cooker of expectation and frustration; or go to Dortmund, where you'll get chances, good coaching, patience, and if you did do well, a lot more confidence, more clout to help guarantee a starting spot, choices of where to go, and much better deals available?
Honestly, I think Dortmund get way too over-hyped on here. Yes, they play nice football and blood in young players, but the level of the German league is really poor. Actually, that's not fair. It's not so much the quality level that EPL has over the Bundesliga, but certainly the competitivity levels.

If you look at the chances talented young players have coming through the ranks, you've got more homegrown/developed players in the United squad than you do at Dortmund. We do ourselves a disservice when downplaying just how excellent our youth setup is, and chances they then get actually are.

Where I think Dortmund have the upper-hand is their willingness to include buyout clauses/promises to sell after x number of years. It makes these younger players even more lucrative for their entourages. We have never been willing to do this, nor should we.

Brightonian

As a huge, longstanding fan of Gomes it's worth saying that I don't see him going elsewhere and becoming an enviable world-class player a la Pogba. For all his technique and intelligence his physical stature does go against him, and it's so much more difficult to overcome an obstacle like that while also trying to break into an unforgiving, competitive new team environment.

I think he could have been a top class player here. I'm not sure he will be elsewhere. That said, he could still go off and have a really good career. Bit of a coin toss though. He has every right to make the decision to try his luck elsewhere, but on balance I think it's a bad decision regardless of whether he made it for financial or footballing reasons.

Ace of Spades

I can see both sides of the argument tbh. He only had Periera and Lingard ahead of him, and both are terrible. Gomes did not pull up any trees, but then he was no worse than those two.

From the managers perspective, a player who was running out of contract and was nothing special when given a chance probably was the reason that he was not used more. He also was not the best without the ball, and that is a are where the other two at least do a fair bit of work.

You can't just chuck a lot of academy players without much experience at this level on at once. That is just asking for trouble. I think with a bit of patience and commitment he would have been given a chance.

Even if Gomes leaves, I am confident that Lingard will also be on his way out, and Mata will probably have his last season for us next year. We are clearing out players clearly, although it is difficult to get rid of some as they are on ridiculous wages, and I think he would have had good amount of playing time next year if he had remained.

Infra-red

He needs football. I'd be inclined to give him a decent offer and then get him out on loan, but I've obviously seen a lot less of him than the coaching staff.

He's definitely got the talent, but probably a case of a greedy agent getting in his ear and making his position at the club untenable. A shame.

Water Melon

If Ole did not sanction his loans and still hesitated to play him, then I am fully with Angel on this one. If he has a better financial offer from somewhere else, he should take it. If he is good enough he will prove it elsewhere, if he is not, at least he is making more money. Also, I do not think that Utd see him as an indispensable player, so well done to both sides. Utd did not sacrifice anything for Angel, neither did the lad for Utd.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
If the 25 grand plus bonuses info is correct, I think United have made a fair offer. No regrets, wish him all the best.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's not a fair comparison. We gave lots of chances to young players and some have established themselves. Gomes was considered not ready this season and looking at his performances where he did play it makes sense.

I wish him well but i'm disappointed in him.
Gomes got the lowest minutes in pre-season and was infinitely better than Lingard and Mata. People brought up the issue then and it was obvious that he wasn't fancied.
Over the course of this season I have not been more impressed with Chong who again has had more chances.

If he was considered not ready that is fine if the competition ahead was any good. When its Lingard Mata and Pereira well.... And why then did Ole block him from going out on loan only to not give him any games. Quite clearly we have messed up his development

HailtotheKing

Has he really had the chances? What were those chances? I remember him getting 5 mins at the end of one game and almost scoring. He's looked way more impressive than Chong to me who looks nothing. Also, didn't he play in some cup games against big men and handled himself fine? He was earmarked at the start of the season by ole along with Greenwood that we didn't need transfers with these guys getting game time and then he's had none. I barely remember him getting any games at all. And even if he didn't play great in one game is that all we count by. What about Lingard stinking out the place game after game. He should have been given more game time. Only then could we have seen if he had a chance to make it. And had he been given that game time most likely he would have stayed.

Fooza

Meh

As long as we sign quality players and keep getting rid of this deadwood, it'll soften this blow.

crossy1686

career ending
Surely every player we have at youth level in his age group is considered a talent? We usually release youth players who haven't made their debut before turning 19, in fact we released the whole of the U23's (the age group above Gomes, Greenwood and Chong) because we didn't feel there was anyone good enough to represent the club at that level.

We've got equally talented players at the club. Looking forward to seeing Laird, Chong, Garner and Levitt make an impact in the coming season, along with Greenwood, Williams, Rashford and McTomminay continuing to do well in the first team.

el3mel

His loss. He ought to go to Spain to develop. There's much more space there and less of an emphasis on the physicality of the game (outside of clubs like Atletico, of course).
What should he have done when you see trash players playing ahead of him in the first half of the season? You want him to extend his contract without knowing if he will play or not?

Beaucoup

This is going to happen more and more, Sancho appears to have opened the flood gates. At least it shows some ambition, which is fair enough.

crossy1686

career ending
What he should have done when you see trash players playing ahead of him in the first half of the season? You want him to extend his contract without knowing if he will play or not?
Well they're not trash players are they? They're players that have been in his shoes, taken their chances and deserve the chance to prove themselves again.

Yes, Lingard and Pereria are rubbish but they still broke through from the youth team and played first team football, relatively well. They're also full internationals. What has Gomes done? Scored some goals at youth level? He's been distinctly average in the first team games he's played.

Whether he likes it or not, those players are before him in the pecking order until Ole moves them on because he can't trust them anymore, which looks like it will happen this summer. He could have just signed a one year extension and find himself in the first team squad this summer and moving forward. His loss if you ask me, what team is going to offer him first team football in the PL? He's going to have to go abroad to play.

crossy1686

career ending
This is going to happen more and more, Sancho appears to have opened the flood gates. At least it shows some ambition, which is fair enough.
You know that Juventus offered Brandon Williams silly money to join them at the end of his youth contract? It won't happen unless the player engineer's the move. We have a great youth record, we shouldn't be worried because one player left.

izec

Massive downer. This put me in a bad mood, even though i saw it coming for quite a while.

Seeing him flourish at another club will make me quite sad

mu4c_20le

What should he have done when you see trash players playing ahead of him in the first half of the season? You want him to extend his contract without knowing if he will play or not?
Well, yeah. That's what unknown teenagers do.

el3mel

Well they're not trash players are they? They're players that have been in his shoes, taken their chances and deserve the chance to prove themselves again.

Yes, Lingard and Pereria are rubbish but they still broke through from the youth team and played first team football, relatively well. They're also full internationals. What has Gomes done? Scored some goals at youth level? He's been distinctly average in the first team games he's played.

Whether he likes it or not, those players are before him in the pecking order until Ole moves them on because he can't trust them anymore, which looks like it will happen this summer. He could have just signed a one year extension and find himself in the first team squad this summer and moving forward. His loss if you ask me, what team is going to offer him first team football in the PL? He's going to have to go abroad to play.
Gomes didn't play and didn't get any good chance to prove his worth, so this comparison is nonsense. How can you not trust him when you don't even give him good chances first to see if you can trust him or not ?

He did nothing wrong in there. He can't stay while not playing and not getting any chances. Better for him to leave and seek his chances in another club instead of staying in reserves here. Anyone in clear mind will do this easily. He's not losing anything because he didn't get anything here to lose by leaving. Extending contract while you're not playing and not getting any chances when injuries to key players happen while the sub players are trash would have been a terrible decision from his perspective.

ReddevilTinu

He should have signed the contract and then go out on loan. No manager in right mind will give youth chance until he knows the player is going to stay long term.

If he was thinking of play time should have done with contract earlier. If he would have wanted money then it's better he is leaving. Ravel Morrison was also very talented but not commited and we know where he plays.

crossy1686

career ending
Gomes didn't play and didn't get any good chance to prove his worth, so this comparison is nonsense. How can you not trust him when you don't even give him good chances first to see if you can trust him or not ?

He did nothing wrong in there. He can't stay while not playing and not getting any chances. Better for him to leave and seek his chances in another club instead of staying in reserves here. Anyone in clear mind will do this easily. He's not losing anything because he didn't get anything here to lose by leaving. Extending contract while you're not playing and not getting any chances when injuries to key players happen would have been a terrible decision from his perspective.
Gomes has played first team matches and not looked anywhere near standout when playing, in fact, if anything, he's looked naive.

If he was good enough he'd get chances. If he was good enough he would have got the contract he wanted. If he was good enough he would have been in the first team all season, just as Williams, Greenwood, McTomminay and Rashford are. Chong has even done enough to get more games than him! There's a point where the people who see him every day know what they're talking about and the people who buy him on Football Manager don't.

There's either a huge conspiracy to keep Gomes out of the first team at the detriment of Manchester United football club, or he simply hasn't been up to scratch.

He got offered a very good contract for where he's at, United have always been good to their youth players regardless of where they're at. He would have got more games next season but if he doesn't want that then good luck to him and wherever he decides to go next season.

youmeletsfly

Was inevitable, not trusted it seems and when rubbish like Lingard and Mata get chances over you I would do the same.
Each time he came in he was pretty average.
Also he wanted more than 500K a year as an 18 year old.

Kearnkoff69

Bingo. Cheers for answering for me. Players can't expect to be given anything, and with the ease of movement around leagues that players have these days, it's hardly surprising that he was willing to wind his contract down and jump ship.

el3mel

Gomes has played first team matches and not looked anywhere near standout when playing, in fact, if anything, he's looked naive.

If he was good enough he'd get chances. If he was good enough he would have got the contract he wanted. If he was good enough he would have been in the first team all season, just as Williams, Greenwood, McTomminay and Rashford are. Chong has even done enough to get more games than him! There's a point where the people who see him every day know what they're talking about and the people who buy him on Football Manager don't.

There's either a huge conspiracy to keep Gomes out of the first team at the detriment of Manchester United football club, or he simply hasn't been up to scratch.

He got offered a very good contract for where he's at, United have always been good to their youth players regardless of where they're at. He would have got more games next season but if he doesn't want that then good luck to him and wherever he decides to go next season.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/angel-gomes/profil/spieler/392770

He played 2 matches in the league combined total 19 minutes only. One match in EFL cup in which he played 26 minutes. Total he played 45 minutes domestically only. about a single half of football. He was present on the bench for 3 other matches and didn't play. His other matches were in EL and only 3 matches. Definitely not enough to judge anyone and see he's good enough or not, and definitely not enough for him when he sees players like Lingard and Periera shitting the place and still getting chances after chances while key players are injured.

How can you say a player is good enough or not when he doesn't even play ? Jeez it's like an infinite circle. To know if the player deserves more play time you have to play him first and see, especially when players playing ahead of him doing nothing in particular.

There's no conspiracy. Some just want to feel better about this situation by saying it's his loss and we did nothing wrong. We managed everything about him poorly and we can only hope at the moment we won't regret it and he won't shine up in another club because it'll reflect poorly on us in how we managed him.

How he would have got more games next season with Pogba and Bruno around, when he didn't even get chances when Lingard and Periera around ? Again, try to think a little bit from the player's perspective. He chose the right move for his career.

Redcy

Tbf if you can’t push your way into the team ahead of an awful lingard , pereira and mata then he can’t be impressive in training

joedirt87

Tbf if you can’t push your way into the team ahead of an awful lingard , pereira and mata then he can’t be impressive in training
isn't this what was said about Pogba. He must not be impressive in the reserve games, he must not be impressing in training. he can't get games with a weak midfield. How many games did we have to suffer through Pereira, Mata, Lingard being useless from the start of the season up until Bruno arrived. Ole had plenty of opportunities to get him into the squad to see if he could make an impact but didn't. Time will tell if he made the right call.

mu4c_20le

isn't this what was said about Pogba. He must not be impressive in the reserve games, he must not be impressing in training. he can't get games with a weak midfield. How many games did we have to suffer through Pereira, Mata, Lingard being useless from the start of the season up until Bruno arrived. Ole had plenty of opportunities to get him into the squad to see if he could make an impact but didn't. Time will tell if he made the right call.
Funny you say that when they both started against Astana and Lingard scored while he looked like a boy amongst men.

Crimson King

Unless he goes to Chelsea, who will probably loan him out for a few years then flog him for a decent fee if he does establish himself.

I hope he goes somewhere, preferably abroad, where he can get first team football relatively quickly and get his senior career started.

Status
Not open for further replies.