Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We did offer him the contract and based on that we thought he wasn't ready or why else would we not play him?
We had a horrendous injury list this year, we were an injury away from those 3 being depended on in midfield. Getting rid of them for a kid who has 1 year left on his contract, who hasnt impressed ay all, would be a ridiculously poor choice.
Good luck to Angel, Im sure he can have a great career for himself but challenging Bruno and Pogba for a first team spot isnt for him
:lol:

youmeletsfly

Did we not offer 25k a week plus bonuses? That amounts to 1.3M quid a year.
Oh yeah, my math was pretty dogshit there. So he wanted more than 1.3M a year, a player that barely played 5 games for the 1st team.
He can feck off easily if he really asked for that amount of money.

Cassidy

Whats so funny? Gomes coming on for an injured Fred would have been a disaster. The man was struggling to find space in EL games ffs
It would given they dont even play the same position really

The first game vs Astana where he was actually played in his position he played well

edcunited1878

Who is talking about a large role :lol: he couldn't get game in CM ahead of Park and Fabio
The club was shortsighted with Pogba and has been shortsighted regarding Gomes (who again we didn't prioritise over the likes of Mata Lingard and Pereira)
The club wasn't shortsighted, they had a plan. Players can accelerate that plan, but Fergie did all he could with Pogba at that time and has always hated Mino for how it ended.

Not sure what has been shortsighted with Gomes either. He was given a contract that is fair and full of incentives. He hasn't accepted it. It's a two way street when trying to negotiate. And Gomes didn't see it all his way or enough of his way. The Mata, Lingard, and Pereria situation was crap for 3 months and wasn't good enough. If Gomes couldn't show his commitment for the club at that time by signing the contract, which isn't something new from the past 3 weeks or anything like that, then why should the club invest more time in him?

There's always a plan in place for these players who are training with the first team and their plan is always 2 to 3 years outlook. The same is with Gomes as there's major transitions going on within the first team squad such as the players who have already left like Felliani, Lukaku, Herrera, Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling, etc. Then there will be questions of Jones, Mata, Pereria, Lingard. In steps up some academy players to fill that void and be the 3rd or lowest level of the first team squad behind the bona fide bench players who make up the match day squad and then the first XI players. If United let go Mata, Pereria, Lingard, all go all at once before next year, United will have to spend a lot of money just to have capable senior backups who make that match day squad, which isn't a good use of resources when you're still a few key players away of solidifying your starting XI.

el3mel

Who is talking about a large role :lol: he couldn't get game in CM ahead of Park and Fabio
The club was shortsighted with Pogba and has been shortsighted regarding Gomes (who again we didn't prioritise over the likes of Mata Lingard and Pereira)
That's just typical Caf. Hardly anyone would have doubted Gomes natural talent few years ago, but now since he's about to leave people need to use their denial defensive mechanisms and say things like he's not good enough, not physically ready for the league, won't be missed, his loss etc. Will happen to almost every player or talent leaving. People need to feel better about the situation

I for God sake hope 3-4 years later we won't sit here regretting letting him go.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He's hardly been great shakes any time he has featured... And I can see why Ole was reluctant to pick a player who hadn't committed his future to the club.

He'll do well in Spain.
You could read that the other way around mate. Didnt want to commit his future to the club as Ole was reluctant to pick him.

MDFC Manager

Overrated and frankly not worth the effort the club made to get him to sign, even right through the end. People will still whine though.

Dve

Not too fussed about this, tbh. I´d prefer a nr. 10 that can also contribute in the box, which hardly can be said about Gomes with his 5.3. He should go to Spain.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Was to do with money by the looks of things
Apparently he was offered 25k per week and wanted 30k per week. So that would make it seem like it was a money thing. However, if he was getting the playing time that Lingard was getting over the past few months, my guess is that extra 5k would seem like such a big deal to him. Mind you, if he was playing instead of Lingard, I'm sure the club wouldn't mind paying the extra 5k either. Either way, he wasn't given a chance. This isn't like Pogba when SAF called back Scholes out of retirement so Pogba was going to have to wait an extra year to get more first team action. Gomes is missing out on playing time to a player who has been given chance after chance and continues to fail. If we don't mind seeing players fail, then let it come from a youth player who can possibly learn from his mistakes...

Cassidy

The club wasn't shortsighted, they had a plan. Players can accelerate that plan, but Fergie did all he could with Pogba at that time and has always hated Mino for how it ended.

Not sure what has been shortsighted with Gomes either. He was given a contract that is fair and full of incentives. He hasn't accepted it. It's a two way street when trying to negotiate. And Gomes didn't see it all his way or enough of his way. The Mata, Lingard, and Pereria situation was crap for 3 months and wasn't good enough. If Gomes couldn't show his commitment for the club at that time by signing the contract, which isn't something new from the past 3 weeks or anything like that, then why should the club invest more time in him?

There's always a plan in place for these players who are training with the first team and their plan is always 2 to 3 years outlook. The same is with Gomes as there's major transitions going on within the first team squad such as the players who have already left like Felliani, Lukaku, Herrera, Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling, etc. Then there will be questions of Jones, Mata, Pereria, Lingard. In steps up some academy players to fill that void and be the 3rd or lowest level of the first team squad behind the bona fide bench players who make up the match day squad and then the first XI players. If United let go Mata, Pereria, Lingard, all go all at once before next year, United will have to spend a lot of money just to have capable senior backups who make that match day squad, which isn't a good use of resources when you're still a few key players away of solidifying your starting XI.
This isn't true. He could have played Pogba ahead of Park and Fabio but he didn't want to take the risk and that was ultimately what cost. Its easy to blame Riola but the fact is Pogba backed himself as being good enough to play and Fergie didn't think he was ready and didn't want to take the risk during the title run in.

Ekeke

Just how have you come to that conclusion other than a personal dislike for Lingard?

Scapegoat Lingard is it on here?

The guy has barely played lately, yet he’s partly the reason as to why, a player who has shown nothing of merit, to want to leave?
He's started 9 league games and come off the bench 11 more with 0 goals and 0 assists. He's played plenty of minutes that a young player would have loved to get and been terrible in that time. Mata hasnt been much better, and Andreas has been a bit better than both.

Realistically we have chosen to keep mediocrity (being lenient to Lingard because hes been worse than that this season, but Mata and Andreas are well described) over someone with potential to be a very good player.

Mcking

Not all academy players are going to make it at the club. If he manages to get to the level we want our midfielders to be, then we could always use the transfer market.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Overrated and frankly not worth the effort the club made to get him to sign, even right through the end. People will still whine though.
Overrated? How can a guy who never plays be overrated??? In order to overrate someone, first they have to be talking about how great he is. All I've ever heard about Gomes is how good he could possibly become, not how good he already is...

Zambara

We're a big club that is re-building: there's places to play for, for a younger player.

It's hard to imagine where he can go that's bigger where he could more regularly get a game, or where he could definitely get a game but isn't a step down.

Cassidy

Just how have you come to that conclusion other than a personal dislike for Lingard?

Scapegoat Lingard is it on here?

The guy has barely played lately, yet he’s partly the reason as to why, a player who has shown nothing of merit, to want to leave?
He started the season as a starter after being outperformed by Gomes in preseason. Played a lot of minutes and has done feck all with it.

Prodigal7

Gomes needed a loan in the Championship to toughen up and develop physically. He didn't get it. Lamptey refused a contract at Chelsea to go and play at Brighton. Gomes needs to take a similar path. Marcus Edwards was a supremely talented kid and had to go to Portugal to play. These lads need first team football.
Have to disagree. He’s never goi g to be a physical player and that kind of league would do him more harm than good. A loan to Serie A or La Liga would be better for him. Somewhere he can play As the main playmaker and the kind of football he likes But at men’s level.
Scholes was never barging people around in the middle to win the ball, he’d just press and think quicker than the opponent When he has the ball.

edcunited1878

This isn't true. He could have played Pogba ahead of Park and Fabio but he didn't want to take the risk and that was ultimately what cost. Its easy to blame Riola but the fact is Pogba backed himself as being good enough to play and Fergie didn't think he was ready and didn't want to take the risk during the title run in.
It was one match, you're point to one match as if that's it. United lost 3-2 to Blackburn that match and who knows what Pogba could have done. He didn't have the patience to see it out and back himself as a player who could immediately help United challenge?

Cassidy

It was one match, you're point to one match as if that's it. United lost 3-2 to Blackburn that match and who knows what Pogba could have done. He didn't have the patience to see it out and back himself as a player who could immediately help United challenge?
No it was an example of what happened that season. The player was agitating for playing time and he didn't get much and then left. If he got more he would have signed and stayed.
He didn't believe he would be a priority for minutes and he probably wouldn't have been. He was ridiculed for not being patient and people said he wasn't even that good that season and didn't deserve the minutes.
Pogba backed himself and was a stater for Juve before the next season ended.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Gomes is not another Pogba, he may have looked good at lower levels, but at the senior level, he's looked worse than Mata, Pereira and Lingard. Doubled with the fact that he didn't want to commit, why did he deserve minutes? Club still valued him enough to offer a contract. He may go on to become a good player, but he was not showing that here, so maybe it's good that he moves on.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Overrated? How can a guy who never plays be overrated??? In order to overrate someone, first they have to be talking about how great he is. All I've ever heard about Gomes is how good he could possibly become, not how good he already is...
Of course he's overrated.
Half the cafe have him nailed on to be a star.

They bang on about, I'd leave if Lingard was ahead of me in the pecking order.
Lingard would get in most Prem sides, whereas Gomes wouldn't.

People think throwing him in is the solution. He'll suddenly go from doing ok in the U23 to first team player in rapid succession.
FM spoil reality for a lot of people. So what he's young, he's got 5* potential, lets throw him in

edcunited1878

No it was an example of what happened that season. The player was agitating for playing time and he didn't get much and then left.
It was his first season getting into the first team and he wanted to catapult over players without earning the proper trust, understanding, and need of the manager and coaches who were in the thick of winning major honors. There's always a plan to follow and Pogba didn't want to follow it with United, fine. He was fortunate enough to land at Juventus who could give him that and more, especially considering it was a team and league that was much easier for him to immediate play in.

All things considered, Pogba was the exception and not the rule. Let's see where Gomes ends up first, see what some of the rumored contract terms are, and see how he's getting along in the first team squad. All the best to him. Disappointing that the sides couldn't come to an agreement with each other and show commitment.

Cassidy

It was his first season getting into the first team and he wanted to catapult over players without earning the proper trust, understanding, and need of the manager and coaches who were in the thick of winning major honors. There's always a plan to follow and Pogba didn't want to follow it with United, fine. He was fortunate enough to land at Juventus who could give him that and more, especially considering it was a team and league that was much easier for him to immediate play in.

All things considered, Pogba was the exception and not the rule. Let's see where Gomes ends up first, see what some of the rumored contract terms are, and see how he's getting along in the first team squad. All the best to him. Disappointing that the sides couldn't come to an agreement with each other and show commitment.
Over what players? Our midfield was trash so much we had to get Scholes out of retirement

Ekeke

So predictions for where he goes... If he stays in England I think Leicester would be a good move for him. I am confident he could compete with and then take Tielemans place, alternatively he could be blooded as Maddison's replacement as he's likely to join a top club within the next 2 summers.

Chelsea I could only see if they're selling Loftus-Cheek and Barkley, and he was the first choice sub for their midfield 3.

Spurs? Mourinho did give him his debut, but theres no chance Mourinho plays him CM. 1st backup for Alli perhaps? He'd have to take Lamela's spot

I cant imagine Arsenal are in the running in 9th place.

Foreign clubs...

Dortmund might think they have another young English star

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Oh yeah, my math was pretty dogshit there. So he wanted more than 1.3M a year, a player that barely played 5 games for the 1st team.
He can feck off easily if he really asked for that amount of money.
Alternatively he just wanted gametime.

The kid was desperate to go out on loan to get some first team playing experience only for us to block it and then refuse to play him. It's not a surprise he then refused to sign a new contract. I would have ultimately done the exact same thing in his position and it wouldn't have had anything to do with the money.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Of course he's overrated.
Half the cafe have him nailed on to be a star.

They bang on about, I'd leave if Lingard was ahead of me in the pecking order.
Lingard would get in most Prem sides, whereas Gomes wouldn't.

People think throwing him in is the solution. He'll suddenly go from doing ok in the U23 to first team player in rapid succession.
FM spoil reality for a lot of people. So what he's young, he's got 5* potential, lets throw him in
Not "just throw him in". But I would give him or Chong a spot on the bench in place of Lingard. And Lingard can only get into other prem teams based on his name alone. His problem is he specializes in nothing. He's not a winger, not a striker and not a midfielder. He just runs around a lot. Give his spot to a U23. A player who does well on the U23 will only do better with better players around him. Lingard had his chance. If SAF was still in charge he would just be another Chris Eagles and Keiren Richardson. Given some chances and then let go. But for some unknown reason he has to his 28th year. A guy of his talent level should have been sold 3-4 years ago...

Cassidy

So predictions for where he goes... If he stays in England I think Leicester would be a good move for him. I am confident he could compete with and then take Tielemans place, alternatively he could be blooded as Maddison's replacement as he's likely to join a top club within the next 2 summers.

Chelsea I could only see if they're selling Loftus-Cheek and Barkley, and he was the first choice sub for their midfield 3.

Spurs? Mourinho did give him his debut, but theres no chance Mourinho plays him CM. 1st backup for Alli perhaps? He'd have to take Lamela's spot

Foreign clubs...

Like to see him in the Bundesliga

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Gomes is not another Pogba, he may have looked good at lower levels, but at the senior level, he's looked worse than Mata, Pereira and Lingard. Doubled with the fact that he didn't want to commit, why did he deserve minutes? Club still valued him enough to offer a contract. He may go on to become a good player, but he was not showing that here, so maybe it's good that he moves on.
Rubbish. He was poor when played out on the left, but when he was used in a central position (his preferred position AND the weakest position in our squad until we signed Bruno) he was actually quite good. He just barely got a chance.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
its a coping mechanism. "Overrated anyway, not arsed if he goes" up there with "never wanted him anyway" Same people if he had signed a new deal, would have most likely been very pleased. Happens in every fanbase

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Foreign clubs...

Juventus, Inter or a Portugese big club. sporting or benfica would be my guess. I did think he may end up with us if he stayed in England but if the Havertz interest goes anywhere, Gomes would go out on loan; and maybe he wants a regular place

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I feel we should have given him more chances in the first team but in the time that he did he play he didn't look a top class talent. Appeared to have a lot of technical ability but also struggled to impose himself. We've possibly lost an interesting player but it doesn't look as though the club feel they've lost someone that was a big part of their plans. And we're a club that have been giving youth a chance.

amolbhatia50k

A players' potential can be overrated.

edcunited1878

Over what players? Our midfield was trash so much we had to get Scholes out of retirement
And that's the point you don't see. He was being accelerated into the first team because the central midfield wasn't good outside of Carrick. It was basically Carrick and a revolving door of Giggs, Anderson, Scholes, Cleverley, and Fletcher. Pogba couldn't bide his time for half the season and take his chance going into a proper off season knowing that it was his turn to step up next to Carrick and a few others? Pogba could have been part of that final SAF title team with RVP, but he wasn't patient and went elsewhere to be successful. United were neck and neck with City for the league that year and it was the year United lost to GD against City. United threw away that late two goal lead against Everton at home very late into the season and dropped 2 points from a winning position.

amolbhatia50k

That's a bit of a stretch. So what kind of potential should we expect from a player who is our youngest ever to appear for the first team???
No, there's no stretch. To believe otherwise would be a stretch.

There's no hard and fast rule. You have to watch players to judge them. If I say Lingard at 19 has the potential to be the next Robben then I'm overrating his talent. I don't see what argument there is against this.

el3mel

And that's the point you don't see. He was being accelerated into the first team because the central midfield wasn't good outside of Carrick. It was basically Carrick and a revolving door of Giggs, Anderson, Scholes, Cleverley, and Fletcher. Pogba couldn't bide his time for half the season and take his chance going into a proper off season knowing that it was his turn to step up next to Carrick and a few others? Pogba could have been part of that final SAF title team with RVP, but he wasn't patient and went elsewhere to be successful. United were neck and neck with City for the league that year and it was the year United lost to GD against City. United threw away that late two goal lead against Everton at home very late into the season and dropped 2 points from a winning position.
It was the right move for his career. Ask him now about and I bet he would say he would have taken this decision again if time returned. Similarly Gomes took the right decision for his career. Waiting for your chance while you can't get it with key injuries around and trash players playing ahead of you is just a waste of time.

siw2007

He is a talented young lad, will be disappointed to see him go. I acknowledge it is fair of him to go and seek a club that will play him regularly however I'm not sure that's going to be Chelsea, I know they are starting to make use of their younger players but that is already a tough team to break into and don't think he would get many more chances there than with us if he stayed. I think he should look abroad for opportunities, possibly Germany, Spain or Portugal.

Though the coaching staff rate him, I'm not sure we are be too upset at losing him, we have a lot of good young players already, we are probably looking towards Mejbri and Shoretire as creative players who can get break into the team in the coming years.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
If he had signed a contract half the posters now saying he isn't good enough right now would be congratulating Ole and praising his talent.
I don't think people are saying he's a crap player, but we've made an offer, he's not accepted it.
What do you want United to do, overpay, beg and have another potentially overhyped player on wages we can't move

Status
Not open for further replies.