Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Has not been a standout performer in the 23's for 2 years. Didn't sign a contract offer. Shame but bye bye.
Hasnt even been playing for them much in that period either because he has been a first team squad member

Nori-

It may not seem like it, but this is great news.

For years now we've been paying top wages for mediocre players (Januzaj, Lingard, Welback etc). A side effect of this when you actually get good players, you end up having to pay astronomical wages.

Man Utd have never been shy of paying good wages so I'm sure what they offered Gomes was fair and reflected his current ability. The problem is because of our inflated wages he's probably asked for more or he'll leave for free. So in letting him go and not in to his demands, we're drawing a line. No more rip off wages, no more rip off agent fees.

If it means we lose out on the odd player or have to release some players then let it be. In the long run we save money, lower out goings and go back to operating at a healthy level.

P.s I think Gomes is massively over rated anyway. Just another "future talent" like Pereira who never actually fulfil their potential.

BlahRules

Hasnt even been playing for them much in that period either because he has been a first team squad member
He should have been sent on loan if he was not in the first team plan. That's not his fault but the management.

I don't blame him leaving I wish all the best and hope he does well wherever he decides to go to. I hope makes it we need a player of his style in the England setup to have a chance to play technical ball retention football.

Kostov

I wish him good luck, I hope he makes it and comes back one day. If I was him and sitting on the bench while someone like Lingard gets 30+ appearances I’d want to leave as well.

cyberman

He should have been sent on loan if he was not in the first team plan. That's not his fault but the management.

I don't blame him leaving I wish all the best and hope he does well wherever he decides to go to. I hope makes it we need a player of his style in the England setup to have a chance to play technical ball retention football.
Where? If he was smaller than he is now then any club would be reluctant to loan him over the last 2 years.
People laugh but it is a factor. That rules out most lower league clubs

youngrell

Two players 19 and under have played 67 games between them for United this season. If that is his job then he’s doing it pretty well.
I didn’t mean for my comment to come off as a jibe at Butt, I was genuinely interested in what his thoughts were as I imagine he’s working as closely with Gomes as anyone.

If he thinks he’s ready for the first team as much as people here do, I’m sure he’d be knocking on Ole’s door as loudly as possible.

acnumber9

I didn’t mean for my comment to come off as a jibe at Butt, I was genuinely interested in what his thoughts were as I imagine he’s working as closely with Gomes as anyone.

If he thinks he’s ready for the first team as much as people here do, I’m sure he’d be knocking on Ole’s door as loudly as possible.
I get you. I think there must be a reason he hasn’t played much beyond not playing particularly well when he’s had the chance. Chong has been worse and still played more. My guess is he’s had no intention of signing a contract all along, in which case Ole was right not to bother with him.

He'sRaldo

Gomes captained the WC winning team that made Sancho, Hudson-Odoi etc so well known internationally. He was injured so was eased into the games rather than starting. In fact Hudson Odoi should be very thankful as he wasn't even starting in that team until Gomes got injured and he filled in for him. CHO is much more physically developed so has taken to men's football more quickly but in no way does it mean he'll be better in the long term. Scholes has shown that even in the PL quality always comes first.
Maybe this could be a good reason why he's itching for playing time?

Seeing your mates kick on while you're still in the reserves will always feel bad, especially when you were considered one of the top talents and the captain over them. If I were in that situation I would probably aggressively look to advance my career as well, boyhood club or not.

RuudTom83

It’s fair to say you can never have enough young talented players in the squad...

But I think Ole has a young squad already and if he adds another first team attacking player in the summer, then there is very little room to blood Gomez next season.

In the future United might regret not offering more money, but the future is not the main concern at the moment.

It’s the here and now which needs all the focus and Gomez certainly isn’t going to help win any titles any time soon.

Rish Sawhney

Does it seem weird to anyone that Ole doesn’t seem to have an idea of why Gomes is refusing to sign? By all accounts he’s a very personable manager who talks to players one on one but he’s always seemed very distant with Gomes. Even now when talking about his contract it’s “nobody’s told me that they’ve come to terms so I’m assuming he’s leaving”. Like dude you see him everyday why not talk to him about his concerns?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Alternatively he just wanted gametime.

The kid was desperate to go out on loan to get some first team playing experience only for us to block it and then refuse to play him. It's not a surprise he then refused to sign a new contract. I would have ultimately done the exact same thing in his position and it wouldn't have had anything to do with the money.
There's no way any club let's a promising youth player go on loan without the contract being extended first. It's common procedure and the club was right not too.

bondsname

It's would be a shame if we lose a potentially generational talent. Could be a Pogba story all over again.

One the other hand, if we can't reach an agreement with Gomes I'm glad to see us sticking to our guns and not budging. Far too often in recent times we have just bent over and given ludicrous contracts left and right.

Either way, I wish him the best and hope he succeeds.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's would be a shame if we lose a potentially generational talent. Could be a Pogba story all over again.

One the other hand, if we can't reach an agreement with Gomes I'm glad to see us sticking to our guns and not budging. Far too often in recent times we have just bent over and given ludicrous contracts left and right.

Either way, I wish him the best and hope he succeeds.
Generational talent?

Behave.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Potentially.
Still behave :lol:

I like Gomes a lot. He’s shown a lot of promise in the academy but even saying potentially I wouldn’t call him a generational talent. Even Sancho is only arguably on his way.

Davie Moyes

Thanks for posting. That's very interesting, sums it up well. His potential is outstanding.... however he is likely to need a certain niche and specific setup to flourish - and I think more chance he would get that here then elsewhere. I think his situation is a bit like Lingard where Fergie was always sure of his talent but expected him to breakthrough slightly later (around 22 years old) than most due to his small size.

bondsname

Still behave :lol:

I like Gomes a lot. He’s shown a lot of promise in the academy but even saying potentially I wouldn’t call him a generational talent. Even Sancho is only arguably on his way.
Obviously it's hard to tell if Gomes is going to become a world-beater at this point. He has barely played for the first team. I'm just saying, if you read what Nicky Butt said about him it does seem like he is extremely talented.

I get your point though. Maybe I pushed it a bit when I said "generational talent" but you get what I mean.

Davìd Moyéz

I won't miss the annoying group that demand for him to start every other game whilst spelling his surname wrong.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not "just throw him in". But I would give him or Chong a spot on the bench in place of Lingard. And Lingard can only get into other prem teams based on his name alone. His problem is he specializes in nothing. He's not a winger, not a striker and not a midfielder. He just runs around a lot. Give his spot to a U23. A player who does well on the U23 will only do better with better players around him. Lingard had his chance. If SAF was still in charge he would just be another Chris Eagles and Keiren Richardson. Given some chances and then let go. But for some unknown reason he has to his 28th year. A guy of his talent level should have been sold 3-4 years ago...
A guy that was one of the better players for England at the 2018 World Cup should have been released 2 years previous?

edcunited1878

A guy that was one of the better players for England at the 2018 World Cup should have been released 2 years previous?
Haha, right?! It's not the Lingard thread, but Lingard has exactly one year remaining on his contract. So he's going to be okay with being a squad player or he'll have to leave soon by force (transfer) or go out of contract.

Will be an interesting couple of weeks to see who says what and where Gomes ends up.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Can't help feeling nobody will be talking much about him in 5 years. Should have stayed another 2 years imo. Agent's decision I expect.

Ekeke

1 goal and 1 assist from 5 starts and 1 sub appearance? He was okay at best. Kane and Trippier had far more end product, Stones scored twice as many goals as Lingard did and Maguire had the same 1 goal and 1 assist.

He was top 6 or so England players at best, and we barely made anything happen in open play then got by with a bunch of set piece goals and struggled against any decent team we actually faced instead of the free wins. So he essentially had a better WC than Alli, Sterling,Young and Henderson who did all quite poorly. Not saying much.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Haha, right?! It's not the Lingard thread, but Lingard has exactly one year remaining on his contract. So he's going to be okay with being a squad player or he'll have to leave soon by force (transfer) or go out of contract.

Will be an interesting couple of weeks to see who says what and where Gomes ends up.
Yeah I know I just can't help replying to nonsense, my bad

1 goal and 1 assist from 5 starts and 1 sub appearance? He was okay at best. Kane and Trippier had far more end product, Stones scored twice as many goals as Lingard did and Maguire had the same 1 goal and 1 assist.

He was top 6 or so England players at best, and we barely made anything happen in open play then got by with a bunch of set piece goals and struggled against any decent team we actually faced instead of the free wins. So he essentially had a better WC than Alli, Sterling,Young and Henderson who did all quite poorly. Not saying much.
It's not the Lingard thread!

Nikolas

Maybe this could be a good reason why he's itching for playing time?

Seeing your mates kick on while you're still in the reserves will always feel bad, especially when you were considered one of the top talents and the captain over them. If I were in that situation I would probably aggressively look to advance my career as well, boyhood club or not.
I think that he hasn't improved enough in the last 5 years. When he was 15, he was one of the best players in his generation (if not the best). During the world cup in 2017, other players already surpassed him.

He was not one of the top few talents anymore, and was used mostly as a substitute. I also don't see much progress in his play in the last 3 years after the world cup. He has some abilities most players don't, but also has some weaknesses most players don't.

From the players in our squad, he reminds me of Mata. Will he ever reach that level, only time will tell. But he needs to choose his next club carefully, he can't play in all formations.

Reactions: jojojo

Web of Bissaka

Does it seem weird to anyone that Ole doesn’t seem to have an idea of why Gomes is refusing to sign? By all accounts he’s a very personable manager who talks to players one on one but he’s always seemed very distant with Gomes. Even now when talking about his contract it’s “nobody’s told me that they’ve come to terms so I’m assuming he’s leaving”. Like dude you see him everyday why not talk to him about his concerns?
Is he though..

Based from what Sanchez and Lukaku said (plus similar comments about Pogba) contrasted with certain favourite players of his, it seems more and more apparent that Ole only talked with players he's fond of eg. Rash, Lingard, etc. Playing the "psychological tricks" in the book perhaps. It's part of managing/leading team. I also think he kept his distance with "neutral" players. And I don't think Ole is the direct type of manager when it comes to managing players.

LVG is for me the very personable manager who will talk to you giving his brutal honest opinion to your face. Happened to Di Maria, Chicharito, etc. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be the understanding type. Mou is mixed, situational and depends on which players. Moyes is generally distant.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can't help feeling nobody will be talking much about him in 5 years. Should have stayed another 2 years imo. Agent's decision I expect.
It's appalling that he trusts an agent over the club, given he's been with us for over a decade.

Rish Sawhney

Is he though..

Based from what Sanchez and Lukaku said (plus similar comments about Pogba) contrasted with certain favourite players of his, it seems more and more apparent that Ole only talked with players he's fond of eg. Rash, Lingard, etc. Playing the "psychological tricks" in the book perhaps. It's part of managing/leading team. I also think he kept his distance with "neutral" players. And I don't think Ole is the direct type of manager when it comes to managing players.

LVG is for me the very personable manager who will talk to you giving his brutal honest opinion to your face. Happened to Di Maria, Chicharito, etc. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be the understanding type. Mou is mixed, situational and depends on which players. Moyes is generally distant.
LvG was famous for communicating through emails I read and wasn’t much for individual interactions but he definitely was brutally honest and seemed to be an all round good guy. I’ve definitely heard that Ole like Fergie likes to talk to players in a one on one basis to tell them why they’re not playing and to motivate them to be ready if the next game they’ll play. Maybe he’s not as personable with people not in the first team but I’d doubt it too. It just doesn’t seem like his personality.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Obviously it's hard to tell if Gomes is going to become a world-beater at this point. He has barely played for the first team. I'm just saying, if you read what Nicky Butt said about him it does seem like he is extremely talented.

I get your point though. Maybe I pushed it a bit when I said "generational talent" but you get what I mean.
You need to put what Butt said in context:

Angel is different. He has to get the right niche at the right time. If it all comes together then we’ve got one hell of a player on our hands.

Thats the position the club has taken. He's not ready and will only be under the right environment. Clearly the Gomes family sees it differently and thinks he is ready now.i8 I bet if they pick the wrong club and he lands up playing sparsely,.... regrets, I had a few....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It sounded like Ole was letting it be know his agent (or whoever is advising him) is a problem while at the same time making it apparent they aren't going to be pressured into upping any offer.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Don't care what he did for England. He hasn't done anything for us. And to say he was one of Englands best players is a huge stretch. He played decent but most people were questioning why he was even playing. He's had one decent season. That's not even close to being enough to justify why he is still here and still taking valuable playing time from youngsters who could have a future here...

Status
Not open for further replies.