Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacifictheme

I agree - I wonder if loosing him due to lack of game time (apparently) will influence how we see Hanibal Mejrbi developed (more game time at united or a loan)... he will be 18 next season the same as gomes last season)
Gomes was 19 at the end of august. Mejrbi isn't 18 until near the end of Jan so a year and a half younger than gomes was at the start of last season.

Artorias

I believe that Ole has played Lingard over Gomes because he's trying to find a buyer for Lingard. On the other hand, maybe Gomes hasn't impressed him enough to played him more often (we are trying to get to CL and win the domestic coups, we can't afford to give minutes to a player that probably don't want to be here).

SAFMUTD

I think Ole hasnt been impressed by him, and Mourinho wasnt neither. He got very few chances while players like Greenwood (who's younger) and Williams are having their chances.

If he thinks going to Chelsea will be any different good luck to him, they dont even develop their own players.

Ekeke

I think Ole hasnt been impressed by him, and Mourinho wasnt neither. He got very few chances while players like Greenwood (who's younger) and Williams are having their chances.

If he thinks going to Chelsea will be any different good luck to him, they dont even develop their own players.
Mourinho gave him his debut at 16

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

I believe that Ole has played Lingard over Gomes because he's trying to find a buyer for Lingard.
Playing Lingard is obviously not the best idea if you want money for him.

I’m a big fan of Ole’s work so far, but playing Lingard is just strange.

Ekeke

And then never played him again.
Its not common for 16 and 17 year olds to be playing in the first team. Especially not for Mourinho

Its under Ole that we've seen him at a time when he should be playing and he hasnt been

So what I mean to say is maybe Mourinho does rate him and would actually want to take him to Spurs for free, now that hes an older player. He gave him his first chance and now hes 19, not just a young kid. I'm sure he didnt give him his debut at 16 just for a giggle, its because he saw potential in him and hes still young.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm sure he didnt give him his debut at 16 just for a giggle, its because he saw potential in him and hes still young.
It's Mourinho. He more than likely gave Gomes his debut out of spite because the media's narrative at the time was that he didn't promote youth or like working with young players.

Tiber

I'm just not fussed.

Who knows, maybe he is Pogba 2.0 - but he has made so little impact on the first team and it sounds like the club offered him a decent contract. Plus we have a manager more than willing to give young players a chance

Ekeke

It's Mourinho. He more than likely gave Gomes his debut out of spite because the media's narrative at the time was that he didn't promote youth or like working with young players.
Then its a bit of a coincidence he chose a talented player instead of like LVG and all the kids he gave chances where the majority of them werent rated that highly. LVG's promotions felt like they were for the sake of it, giving Angel his debut at 16 made some sense because he's a quality young footballer

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Then its a bit of a coincidence he chose a talented player instead of like LVG and all the kids he gave chances where the majority of them werent rated that highly. LVG's promotions felt like they were for the sake of it, giving Angel his debut at 16 made some sense because he's a quality young footballer
He''s obviously not going to choose a donkey. This isn't a slight against Gomes but there's a reason the debut was given to a 16 year old and it wasn't how talented he was. We know how Mourinho behaves. Respect, respect, respect.

RedTiger

Half mast
He phoned the u18 manager (didn't bother to see him, just phoned him) and asked who the best player was, then he thought "feck it, I'll throw him on when we're winning".

End of story.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good luck to him. I don't think that he was that good actually (on very limited time I have seen him) and with Bruno being signed, it was extremely unlikely that he can become a starter in many seasons to come. This is not a Pogba 2.0 situation.

miked99

I just can't bring myself to care. He was massively hyped on here on the basis of a couple of pre-season friendlies, but even Lingard and Pereira have a record of excelling in those. Showed so little in the appearances he did make.

We have a manager who undoubtedly gives chances to youth, yet he wasn't chosen to play often. That tells it's own story, be it of his ability, his performance in training or his attitude.

If it's true he turned down a contract offer of £25,000 a week then that's laughable greed for a teenage reserve team player. Even if that figure is incorrect, as a fan I have very little time for players who don't want to play for the club and it's better to wave those kind of players out of the exit door.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Barca were sniffing round him last summer. Dunno if that’s what’s turned his head but he hasn’t been on point most of this season in the u23.

I think he’s badly advised. Unless he’s taking a step down to an easier league (less competitive) he’s not going to get regular game time. Nor is he going to get a more supportive PL manager than Ole who is committed to giving youth a chance.

sign the contract Angel then get your head down and work hard like your mate Mason has done

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think it was a wise decision for Gomes to move on.
I just cant see where he would feature consistently had he stayed.

RUCK4444

No big loss, let’s have it right - he’s not the same as Pogba when he left for Juve.

He’s done almost nothing with his chances and if he could have had more of an impact then Ole would have given him the chance.
Ole has been great with the young lads, top drawer.

If he didn’t get a sniff under Ole that says more about him than it does Ole I’m afraid.

Wish him all the best.

jackal&hyde

Barca were sniffing round him last summer. Dunno if that’s what’s turned his head but he hasn’t been on point most of this season in the u23.

I think he’s badly advised. Unless he’s taking a step down to an easier league (less competitive) he’s not going to get regular game time. Nor is he going to get a more supportive PL manager than Ole who is committed to giving youth a chance.

sign the contract Angel then get your head down and work hard like your mate Mason has done
That's what i'm thinking too. Been here since a young boy, probably loves the club, sees his fellow youngsters get lots of football and a manager that cares about promoting youth and yet this season he never seemed connected at all. He has the talent to do with Pereira and Lingard what Williams did with Young, go out there when you get a chance and prove yourself.

Shark

@NotShark
No big loss, let’s have it right - he’s not the same as Pogba when he left for Juve.

He’s done almost nothing with his chances and if he could have had more of an impact then Ole would have given him the chance.
Ole has been great with the young lads, top drawer.

If he didn’t get a sniff under Ole that says more about him than it does Ole I’m afraid.

Wish him all the best.
I refuse to believe he'd be as bad as Lingard and Andreas have been though, so it does baffle me a bit that he didn't get more opportunities off the bench. I really hope Ole isn't planning on sticking with those two now or we're in trouble.

RUCK4444

I refuse to believe he'd be as bad as Lingard and Andreas have been though, so it does baffle me a bit that he didn't get more opportunities off the bench. I really hope Ole isn't planning on sticking with those two now or we're in trouble.
Nah I don’t think he’s remotely interested in sticking with those two long term.
The thing is he’s no doubt talented with the ball at his feet but if Lindard and Pereirra struggle to get involved in games then Gomes would have struggled even more to get on the ball due to athleticism/stature.

I’m not one to overly fixate on the athletic aspects being paramount but with Gomes you have to factor it in somewhat. Kid was knee high to a grasshopper.

pacifictheme

Anyone else think it's weird that there has been no announcement of him signing elsewhere?

Surely he didn't turn us down with no plan and the season is still going.

RedDevil@84

Anyone else think it's weird that there has been no announcement of him signing elsewhere?

He is not some most sought prospect in Europe. This could take a while. He (or his advisors) are probably thinking about the 20-21 season and that is not going to happen for some time

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Yup. Hard to imagine he'll be in a position to negotiate a better contract than the one we offered when he's coming into negotiations with no current club or salary.

Varun1

Who are his advisors? Do they represent anyone else at the club?

ReddevilTinu

This is a crucial step for Gomes. He now needs a club and manager who is willing to give him minutes. He should target Portugal or Spain first tier or second tier respectively to realise his potential

SATA

Has he cleared his locker yet? Not sure if he’s even allowed into Carrington now that he’s not a United player anymore at this point of time

Daonico

If we had another manager, I would be worried about this, I thought the lad had potential and could become important here...
However, we have Ole... a manager that has proven being good in giving youth a chance, several have had chances, some took them and are playing often. I trust that if Ole didn't play him more often (even prefering Lingard...) then he didn't deserve it. Lets not forget the coaches sees him in trainning and know his attitude much better than us.

We shouldn't forget this is a two way thing... the club offered what thought it would be good for it, and Gomes demanded what he thought deserved... both are "guilty" for this not working... Gomes has to think in his carreer too, he is a professional and he has the right to think it is better for him to go elsewhere.

It is not the first nor the last youth that leaves... most we don't miss them, a few come back to hunt us and we end up paying millions to have back. I hope Gomes does well elsewhere... but don't become a star haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.