Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need an rvn

Really tickles me when football fans turn ages into math.
There are arguments for it at times to be fair...

If a kid who is due to turn 20 in 2 months and is still 5'6 and struggling physically compared to a kid who's 17 , 18 in 6 months, then in terms of physical development mathematical wise between the two there is a debate to be had no?

NOT saying I'd like to have kept him here, just commenting on your post that maths can be applied to arguments at times

MichaelRed

Supposedly it wasn't because of the money being offered but because he's been waiting in the wings watching the likes of Lingard and Andreas get chance after chance. People who say Gomes didn't impress don't make any sense to me, he never got to play & when he did it was in a full 2nd string team where, as we saw against Norwich, even Bruno Fernandes couldn't impress with our 2nd string dross. I feel like this could be a big loss that people don't want to accept our failings over.

Ekeke

I think this will be somewhere between Giuseppe Rossi and Paul Pogba.

I dont think he's going to be a £90 million target in 4 or 5 years like with Pogba - Mainly because he doesn't have Pogba's physical build on top of the skills.

But I think he's going to do more than Rossi who became a good striker, was a decent enough Italy international for a bunch of games and then unfortunately injuries derailed him at the end. And while Rossi became a good striker, we had our own good strikers in Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, etc. So he was good enough, but we didnt miss him because we had another quality player just one who didnt come through the reserves.

So are we going to miss him when we have Pogba and Fernandes? Probably not. But that doesnt mean he wont eventually become a quality player elsewhere

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Supposedly it wasn't because of the money being offered but because he's been waiting in the wings watching the likes of Lingard and Andreas get chance after chance. People who say Gomes didn't impress don't make any sense to me, he never got to play & when he did it was in a full 2nd string team where, as we saw against Norwich, even Bruno Fernandes couldn't impress with our 2nd string dross. I feel like this could be a big loss that people don't want to accept our failings over.
He's 5ft'3
I'm sorry but he's too small to become a 100million player.

Unless he's the next Messi. Which is not likely

Ekeke

He had 1 chance in AM and he was actually very good. I

went back and watched the match myself, he was our best player in the first half against Astana and then one of the best in the 2nd half.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ah well. Never rated him anyway.

Kag

A complicated business, is football. It’s a shame he’s leaving as there’s obviously talent there. He’s leaving a side that looks like it’s going in the right direction, too. With that said, getting into our first team, in midfield, on a regular basis, is a difficult road and going to a club that gives him more regular football may prove to be a very clever thing to do.

Never forget that footballers are human. Sometimes people just fancy something a little different and I don’t think they need to justify it to a bunch of no marks on the internet.

Ekeke

Daniel Podence at Wolves is 5'3, Ryan Frasier 5'4, Kante and Lucas Torreira are 5'5

Think his size will be fine to be a good player.

Pace Abuser

Good luck, lad. I would do the same if I was seeing that childish prick Lingard ahead of you and Pereira too.

Gerald G

Daniel Podence at Wolves is 5'3, Ryan Frasier 5'4, Kante and Lucas Torreira are 5'5

Think his size will be fine to be a good player.
But they all at least have some other physical attribute - i.e. pace or strength

He doesn't have either at present but he will likely get a little stronger

Ekeke

But they all at least have some other physical attribute - i.e. pace or strength

He doesn't have either at present but he will likely get a little stronger
What does Torreira have? I'd have Angel over Kante for pace. He's quick, just not compared to a winger

jackal&hyde

What does Torreira have? I'd have Angel over Kante for pace. He's quick, just not compared to a winger
He is very light but he is young, he will put more muscle on. Should have signed and go on loan imo.

MichaelRed

Why laugh? Can't believe I'm wasting my daily posts on you with this topic but ok, you don't even have to look at Messi to see how short players can flourish, just look at possibly our greatest midfielder of all time? Scholes was 5'6 ffs & absolutely bossed the midfield.
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Xavi another midfielder at 5'7,
Garrincha another attacker at 5'7,
Alexis Sanchez who everyone on here was thirsty for at one point is 5'6,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,
So many more like Mata, Tevez, Iniesta, Pedro.. players from all over the world, including the premier league, from all different positions that have been superstars despite being small.

It's about time this archaic view of "too short, won't be good" died. Just accept we lost a player with a lot of potential and it may or may not come back to haunt us. I'm not guaranteeing Gomes will be a superstar, but to simply rule out the possibility based on height? Moronic.

Edit: Feel stupid leaving out 5'6 Kante. Ok, now I'm actually done.

Reactions: Ødegaard

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What a stone-age view on football.
Is it? I agree that technical ability is more important that physical attributes (although in this era physical attributes are so, so important), but at 5’3” Gomes has the weight of history against him.

The only player I could find, that small, who had a top career at the highest level, is Rui Barros in the 80s. After that you are getting into the 5’5”, 5’6” range. I don’t think there is anything controversial about saying that he has a major hurdle to overcome.

I wish the kid the best, but he’s really done nothing to deserve this level of attention he’s been getting. Greenwood, Garner, and Mejbri are all miles ahead of him in terms of long term prospects at the club.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I’m not too disappointed as I’m not convinced he’s THAT good. I hope he goes abroad though, proves me wrong and has a good career

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Is it? I agree that technical ability is more important that physical attributes (although in this era physical attributes are so, so important), but at 5’3” Gomes has the weight of history against him.

The only player I could find, that small, who had a top career at the highest level, is Rui Barros in the 80s. After that you are getting into the 5’5”, 5’6” range. I don’t think there is anything controversial about saying that he has a major hurdle to overcome.

I wish the kid the best, but he’s really done nothing to deserve this level of attention he’s been getting. Greenwood, Garner, and Mejbri are all miles ahead of him in terms of long term prospects at the club.
It's worth noting that 5'3" is the height he was a couple of years ago. Most online stat sites and people who have watched him a fair bit say he is about 5'5" these days.

BestRed

Real shame to lose Angel, had high hopes for him through the years. Anyway best of luck to him in his career.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
It's worth noting that 5'3" is the height he was a couple of years ago. Most online stat sites and people who have watched him a fair bit say he is about 5'5" these days.
Interesting, because that does make a difference. As little as it might seem. That said, he looks just as tiny now as he did two years ago.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Its under Ole that we've seen him at a time when he should be playing and he hasnt been
This is what we keep coming back to. Why should he have been playing? If he was doing it in training, he would’ve been. Ole has given so many minutes, and pathways, to academy products. If Angel was tearing it up, he’d have been playing. The you g players who have, have played, and they’ve seized the opportunities. Angel hasn’t. Nevertheless, the club offered him $30k a week. If he’d made his breakthrough next year and made a real impact, he would’ve gotten an improved contract, I’m sure.

Young players need chances to be with the first team, get opportunities, and give the manager a headache by staking a claim for the first team. We’ve seen others do it. The way the club is currently run, there is no valid argument to say that academy products aren’t being given chances.

At the end of the day, I absolutely trust our current coaching team to decide who has earned a spot in the team. Coaching team that includes coaches who managed Angel at youth level. What I don’t give credence to are internet fans who have seen a little of him at youth level, and decided that he’s deserves to play over an experienced top pro like Mata, with zero evidence or behind the scenes knowledge to back it up.

Gomes has been training with the first team for a year. If he was out performing those players in training, Ole would’ve played him. I have no issues with the way the club has managed him at all. He’s probably a late developer because of his physical development, and it’s a shame for me he didn’t stay at the club that made him the player he is, and where he has so many good relationships. A club that obviously believes in him because they offered him 30k a week despite his inexperience.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anyone else think it's weird that there has been no announcement of him signing elsewhere?

Surely he didn't turn us down with no plan and the season is still going.
Grimsby Town.

I have always loved Grimsby ever since my dad's car broke down there when I was a wee lad.

Monkey bus

Why laugh? Can't believe I'm wasting my daily posts on you with this topic but ok, you don't even have to look at Messi to see how short players can flourish, just look at possibly our greatest midfielder of all time? Scholes was 5'6 ffs & absolutely bossed the midfield.
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,
So many more like Mata, Tevez, Iniesta, Pedro.. players from all over the world, including the premier league, from all different positions that have been superstars despite being small.

It's about time this archaic view of "too short, won't be good" died. Just accept we lost a player with a lot of potential and it may or may not come back to haunt us. I'm not guaranteeing Gomes will be a superstar, but to simply rule out the possibility based on height? Moronic.

You haven’t mentioned anybody 5’3 though. Or is that not the point?

andy dufresne

It is no big loss is it,let's face it,if he was good enough and I believe he is not,by the way,he would have been given his head and a longer run in the team especially when we were struggling and chopping and changing the starting eleven all the time earlier in the campaign.

MichaelRed

You haven’t mentioned anybody 5’3 though. Or is that not the point?
Gomes is 5'5 & I don't think players like Xavi are gaining some immense physical advantage by being 5'7 vs 5'5, do you? People seem to think that because 5'5 footballers are rare that it's because they can't make it but when you factor in what tiny percentage of the population actually make it as professional footballers and then factor in what tiny percentage of the male population is actually 5'5 in height then of course there's going to be next to none. Lack of 5'5 players is because of a lack of 5'5 men, not because they lack the ability.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Maradona 5'5,
Messi 5'7,
Ribery 5'7,
Wesley Sneijder 5'7,
Lahm 5'7,

Did I rule out the possibility or did I say its not likely? I'll answer that for you.
I said its not likely he'll be the next Messi.

None of your mentions there are 5'3 and If Gomes is still 5'3 then height is against him. It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Out of the thousands and thousands of players you have to bring up Garrincha and Maradonna from over 30 and 40 years ago to fill a list and prove a point that little players can be world class. It's not convincing, and Gomes is still smaller.

So my opionion stands. Gomes is good little player but the likelihood he becomes the next Maradonna Messi is very very low so im not upset that hes leaving. If he does then the club and me will look silly.

I also dont think the club would let him go if they a saw a future Messi in him ??

M16Red

Flipping hell, he is no longer at a club and we're still banging on about his fecking height.

Good luck Gomes, yeah midget.. Only joking (before the lefties get me)

Last edited:

Zen86

It is no big loss is it,let's face it,if he was good enough and I believe he is not,by the way,he would have been given his head and a longer run in the team especially when we were struggling and chopping and changing the starting eleven all the time earlier in the campaign.
That’s just it. If he had shown he was good enough, he’d still be here. Not like we aren’t giving young players a chance, or have any lack of youth around the first team right now.

Good luck to him

The Purley King

In the few minutes he had including pre season he looked pretty good.
Was surprised he didn’t get more of a look in tbh especially considering he’s fighting for places against lingard and pereira.
It’s either a big bollock dropped by ole or a good decision, time will tell.

NecssryEvil

So, the professional coaching staff apparently had a blind spot for a guy that casual fans could see is the next ____. I just don't get how people can discount the fact that they do not get to see him every day like the staff does. I think Ole and Co are DESPERATE to find a better alternative to Jesse and to some extent Mata. The fact that Gomes couldn't break through with that in mind leaves you wondering why and I have to believe it is what they saw in training.

If he simply thinks the way is blocked for him here at this point, where is he going to go? Every big club in the world is constantly looking to upgrade their team. Whats he going to do when he signs for X and then that team signs the next Bruno? Quit them and find another? His best bet at this point is to land on a lower level team, get the playing time, produce there and then have the big teams come to him. The fact that it appears he isn't willing to fight for his place here makes me regret his leaving less. Show some heart man. That said, I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes as he seems like a good kid.

TrustInOle

Ole has shown time and time again that he is commited to producing the graduates from our academy. If Ole has seen something in training that he thinks he shouldn't be starting yet, I trust him. Kid should have signed a contract, got his head down and spent a season at the championship.

Good luck to the lad though.

Brophs

The One and Only
Look, everyone, height isn't really that important.Arguably the two best players of all time were barely tall enough to be allowed to go on Nemesis at Alton Towers and look at Valbuena, he's only around 4 feet tall and he got sextorted by Karim Benzema.

Mickson

That’s just it. If he had shown he was good enough, he’d still be here. Not like we aren’t giving young players a chance, or have any lack of youth around the first team right now.

Good luck to him
Like Pogba showed Fergie? Or De Bruyne or Salah showed Mourinho? Managers make mistakes, and in that category, Ole is not even fit to lace Mourinho's or Ferguson's boots when it comes to judgment, so a bit surprising all think that Ole is some kind of mastermind who never gets it wrong. Not saying that Gomes would be a star, but I find it weird that he didn't get a real chance. Ole might be right, he might be wrong. Time will tell.

Rish Sawhney

Like Pogba showed Fergie? Or De Bruyne or Salah showed Mourinho? Managers make mistakes, and in that category, Ole is not even fit to lace Mourinho's or Ferguson's boots when it comes to judgment, so a bit surprising all think that Ole is some kind of mastermind who never gets it wrong. Not saying that Gomes would be a star, but I find it weird that he didn't get a real chance. Ole might be right, he might be wrong. Time will tell.
I think Mourinho isn't fit to lace Ole's boots when it comes to judging youngsters. He might be a more decorated manager (for now) but judging youth players was never his specialty.

izec

Goodbye sweet prince, you will be a top player one day. Choose your next move wisely and stay out of trouble. Gutted to be honest, but i have hope we will buy him back for a large fee if he makes it to the top. Again.

Just shambolic to stick with Pereira, Lingard and Mata this season, absolutely ridiculous. Gomes should have played more than them after pre season and then signed an extension. Not surprised we fecked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.