Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

I have been saying for six months, if he was my kid brother, I would be telling him to leave. If the manager won't pick him ahead of the likes of Lingard and co, he hasn't got a prayer about playing.
The guy is leaving because he wants to play. How can anyone have a problem with that? He has been professional and respectful. Not made any comments, made himself available and trained like normal. Just last week, the coach said he's been working very hard.
I hold no grudges and hope he becomes the player I think he will be.
Why would he be picked ahead of Lingard when Gomes has done sweet feck all to warrant it?

RedRazor

on the radio
The club must have thought he could offer something to lay a significant contract offer down in the first place. I wish him luck wherever he goes, as it's surely going to be challenging for him after spending most his life with us.

Pleased to see the club haven't just thrown more money at him. It's crazy that he was offered so much when he hasn't achieved anything yet, and crazier still that he turned it down. I hope this is more to do with his mental strength and will to succeed and not that he has been poorly advised but we shall see.

In short, I can't see him breaking any ceilings or hitting amazing new heights, but he could still have a great career. He is going to have to fight though, as clearly nobody will give him an inch. Or he could just be another player we will all be telling tall tales about his youth performance when down the pub in years to come. I hope he grows to achieve his potential.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why would he be picked ahead of Lingard when Gomes has done sweet feck all to warrant it?
Lingard has done sweet feck all to warrant his selection and Gomes has greater upside. Would probably have been better to give those minutes to Gomes to develop gain form than to continue with Lingard.

Nick7

Odd how Chong was having same issues and got game time. Plus he was injured quite a few times when he probably would have played, as he was on MUTV interviews leading up to certain games where he was looking forward to playing. But please feel free to continue with your train of thought, as I don't believe it has any basis.
Odd how Chong actually signed a contract.

lysglimt

Scout
Lingard has done sweet feck all to warrant his selection and Gomes has greater upside. Would probably have been better to give those minutes to Gomes to develop gain form than to continue with Lingard.
Lingard has actually been a very good player at United - and OGS probably thought he could get that out of Lingard again (the first 3-4 months Ole was here, Lingard for instance was good) - but he couldn't. As for Gomes, he is 20 - he is nowhere near a regular and with the team we currently have, he would not get any closer so it's probably a good decision for him to leave.

Thiagoal

He must have had a better offer from elsewhere- my hunch is Germany (maybe Leipzig) will be interesting following his career. There’s no doubt he’s a classy little player but how it’ll translate to the men’s game no one knows. Whoever does pay him top dollar is taking a big gamble

Rojofiam

Good luck to him, if I was in his shoes I’d go to Spain / Germany, maybe Portugal could also be an option

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That is the opinion of the coach and Gomes clearly disagrees as it is his right to do.
Now he is leaving to find those minutes and we will see who is right or wrong.
Coaches are not always right. A player has to back himself.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lingard has actually been a very good player at United - and OGS probably thought he could get that out of Lingard again (the first 3-4 months Ole was here, Lingard for instance was good) - but he couldn't. As for Gomes, he is 20 - he is nowhere near a regular and with the team we currently have, he would not get any closer so it's probably a good decision for him to leave.
Not in the past 2 years he hasn't, probably even longer than that. Again players who have upside not specifically Gomes should be given development minutes ahead of players who are clearly not the future and to be honest should be sold.

Definitely also a possibility, however in my mind the few times he played he was not clearly worse than Lingard, and he definitely has more potential than Lingard, which leaves me to believe there was more to it, but who knows
Lingard is established and whilst he is usually a step behind the first team and often messes attacks up, his basic positioning and play is always at an acceptable minimum level for the PL. He frustrates and wastes but he is never a liability. You can't be sure of that with youth players and Gomes has had first team games when he has been an actual liability.

Red_toad

Odd how Chong actually signed a contract.
Not sure where I stated he hadn't but prior to him signing, when his agent was alleged to be negotiating a deal with Inter, he was still getting game time. So just like Angel he was negotiating with the club, but unlike Angel was getting time on the pitch.

Zen86

Surely towards the end, when it was clear to everyone that Lingard and Pereira's minutes should've been given to Gomes, he was left out because his refusal to sign a contract? Our contract offer must have been in his hands for months now, and the more clear it became he was not going to sign, he was most definitely not getting any game time. I really wanted Gomes to commit and stay, but sometimes you have to make an example out of someone to show other youngsters the club wont be held ransom.
Yeah and that. Why waste minutes on a youth player who’s leaving of his own accord. People will liken this to what happened with Pogba, but in all likelihood we’ll hear very little of Gomes again.

Nick7

Not sure where I stated he hadn't but prior to him signing, when his agent was alleged to be negotiating a deal with Inter, he was still getting game time. So just like Angel he was negotiating with the club, but unlike Angel was getting time on the pitch.
I wouls assume that simply comes down to the club were more sure of Chong signing that Angel. Which turned out to be true. The club have been negotiating with him for a long time, I'm sure they're aware of how the player feels and what he was likely to do.

RUCK4444

Do the same posters who think Angel should have been starting ahead of Lingard kick off and slate Ole and the squad whenever we drop points? I bet they do.

Point being, we have to win every game at United. The pressure is incredible. You only have to look at the posts on here the minute we don't secure all 3 points from every game. Ole can only do so much with the youth coming through without risking a result, the progress of the team and ultimately his job.

People are upset he's left, but lets not pretend he would have done better than Lingard or Perreira who are established players. I agree they aren't United quality long term but when you need results you don't place your hopes on Gomes who, when given chances, did absolutely nothing to instil confidence.

It's a balancing act and it requires the determination and patience from the player. If Gomes didn't think he had a chance under Ole, a manager who has proven his commitment to youth, then fair enough, it says more about him than Ole.

I hope he does well though. It's a shame as I was excited by him coming through and could see his talent in the youth games on MUTV but it's no great shakes. We have bigger things to concentrate on (no pun intended) and you can't keep them all.

Baneofthegame

Lingard is established and whilst he is usually a step behind the first team and often messes attacks up, his basic positioning and play is always at an acceptable minimum level for the PL. He frustrates and wastes but he is never a liability. You can't be sure of that with youth players and Gomes has had first team games when he has been an actual liability.
I’d actually argue that being a step behind the first team makes him a liability in itself, whilst I didn’t want to see Gomes leave, his opportunities are limited here and he needs to play regularly to improve.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Do the same posters who think Angel should have been starting ahead of Lingard kick off and slate Ole and the squad whenever we drop points? I bet they do.

Point being, we have to win every game at United. The pressure is incredible. You only have to look at the posts on here the minute we don't secure all 3 points from every game. Ole can only do so much with the youth coming through without risking a result, the progress of the team and ultimately his job.

People are upset he's left, but lets not pretend he would have done better than Lingard or Perreira who are established players. I agree they aren't United quality long term but when you need results you don't place your hopes on Gomes who, when given chances, did absolutely nothing to instil confidence.

It's a balancing act and it requires the determination and patience from the player. If Gomes didn't think he had a chance under Ole, a manager who has proven his commitment to youth, then fair enough, it says more about him than Ole.

I hope he does well though. It's a shame as I was excited by him coming through and could see his talent in the youth games on MUTV but it's no great shakes. We have bigger things to concentrate on (no pun intended) and you can't keep them all.
This!

I fully trust the coaching staff and Ole in this case. The window to impress the manager is short and Gomes didn’t take his chances and that’s why our manager is totally relaxed with this outcome.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Guys are forgetting gomez and chong were given a start against Astana (when we won 1-0). Astana was relatively poor team compare to even bottom 10 clubs in PL, and against them both struggled. I still remember the game. Couldn't create, couldn't dominate. Just some moment of brilliance here and there doesn't cut it out. Both were among lowest rated players. And guess who replaced both? Mata and Lingard. And suddenly we started playing much better. Now if both mata and lingard can't guarantee a place on bench, where that leaves gomez?
Gomes was arguably our best player for the first 60 minutes of that match. He tired a bit after that and was replaced, but the only attacker or midfielder who had a higher rating on here was Greenwood (who had a quiet match but scored the winning goal).

He was average/poor in the other two starts he had in that competition, but both of those matches he played on the left instead of centrally.

RUCK4444

This!

I fully trust the coaching staff and Ole in this case. The window to impress the manager is short and Gomes didn’t take his chances and that’s why our manager is totally relaxed with this outcome.
Yeah I think it's telling when Ole said 'I haven't heard from them or Ed this morning so I'm expecting their is no agreement' (or something very similar) - if Ole was desperate to keep this lad he would have been the one putting the calls in to secure him long term.

I suspect he and his coaches made an evaluation on the player from seeing him up close daily and weren't 100% convinced.

I mean the club made an offer to retain him but if Ole wasn't desperate then that says it all really.

OleGunnar20

Bit of a dissapointment, I think he could have become a valuable squad player for us.

But hey ho, in the grand scheme of things this is probably the right move considering Bruno's arrival. He'd have had to adapted to a wide spot to get any significant gametime and I don't think he's suited to anything other than the #10 role.

I reckon he'll go on to be a decent mid-table PL type player. Hope he picks his next move well.

Red_toad

I wouls assume that simply comes down to the club were more sure of Chong signing that Angel. Which turned out to be true. The club have been negotiating with him for a long time, I'm sure they're aware of how the player feels and what he was likely to do.
Feel free to assume that a player who’s agent was actively seeking a new club for his client got more game time than a player who we heard zero about during his negotiations. Must be some logic in there?

RashyForPM

Instead of moaning about him leaving, we need to move on.

All in all, this lad was an utterly inconsequential player for Manchester United and before this saga, was last heard of and hyped in 2017. To the people who say he should have got Lingard and Pereira’s minutes: who’s to say he wouldn’t have done worse? He has 0 goal contributions in 10 first team appearances! Ole is a United man and undeniably would have put all off-the-pitch matters aside to field Gomes had he trained and played better than both of them with the first team. To put things bluntly, this lad is a 5’5 boy who while undoubtedly was good in the youth teams, flopped spectacularly every time, while few, he got an opportunity with the seniors. He is probably just not suited to the intense blood and thunder style of English football.

Another reason as to why I think he won’t be missed is because we have Bruno. I am going to say it now, Gomes will never be better than Bruno due to his stature, no matter how technically astute he becomes. Besides, he wouldn’t replace him anytime soon as Bruno is only 25. Even if he stayed now, would Gomes accept a minimum 6 more years on the bench to take over when he’s already 26? I doubt even the academy will miss him; Mejbri looks class and is only 17. There’s a lad who has more time, a better build and who will hopefully surpass Bruno in 6 years when he’s only 23. It’s too soon to see who is the more talented player between him and Gomes (it looks about equal at the moment), but let’s hope it’s him in United’s interest.

By the way, this isn’t me trying to put Gomes down but to get people to move on rather than complaining over something so, in my opinion, unimportant to United. If I was him, I would go to Spain. The softer, more technical possession play over there will probably suit him better.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Sultan

UncleBob

That is the opinion of the coach and Gomes clearly disagrees as it is his right to do.
Now he is leaving to find those minutes and we will see who is right or wrong.
Coaches are not always right. A player has to back himself.
And?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Find it strange that he hasn't signed, or at least announced his next club yet, there's going to be an awful lot of players(and most proven at a higher level than the u18 League)looking for a gig when the Transfer window opens whenever, just hope he and his advisers have thought it through properly as there's less and less clubs that can afford to take a punt, stockpilers like Chelsea and City could but then he'd be back to square one re. game-time.

Adisa

The fact he hasn't found a new club reinforces my belief he isn't leaving cause of money.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Gomes is 5'5 & I don't think players like Xavi are gaining some immense physical advantage by being 5'7 vs 5'5, do you? People seem to think that because 5'5 footballers are rare that it's because they can't make it but when you factor in what tiny percentage of the population actually make it as professional footballers and then factor in what tiny percentage of the male population is actually 5'5 in height then of course there's going to be next to none. Lack of 5'5 players is because of a lack of 5'5 men, not because they lack the ability.
Find it strange that he hasn't signed, or at least announced his next club yet, there's going to be an awful lot of players(and most proven at a higher level than the u18 League)looking for a gig when the Transfer window opens whenever, just hope he and his advisers have thought it through properly as there's less and less clubs that can afford to take a punt, stockpilers like Chelsea and City could but then he'd be back to square one re. game-time.

Breaking news

Manchester United have signed Angel Gomes for £12million pounds :lol::lol::lol:

RUCK4444

The fact he hasn't found a new club reinforces my belief he isn't leaving cause of money.
Yeah but at the same time it could reinforce the opinion that other managers may think he’s a risk to make it in the top flight (like Ole I assume) or why else does he not have a club lined up?

Would have expected him to have a club lined up before turning down United. I think he saw who was ahead of him in Bruno / Pogba with Sancho on the way and didn’t fancy his chances (rather than him being upset by Lingard playing.)

I think he would have been bang up for challenging Lingard for a place but not so much with the other boys.

I can see a move to Germany for sure.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
United generally don't make many mistakes when releasing players. Pogba and Pique being massive exceptions.

jbwilliamz

Gomes is 5'5 & I don't think players like Xavi are gaining some immense physical advantage by being 5'7 vs 5'5, do you? People seem to think that because 5'5 footballers are rare that it's because they can't make it but when you factor in what tiny percentage of the population actually make it as professional footballers and then factor in what tiny percentage of the male population is actually 5'5 in height then of course there's going to be next to none. Lack of 5'5 players is because of a lack of 5'5 men, not because they lack the ability.
It's not the height that's solely the issue. It's weight. And even a couple kilo's would make a huge difference to strength. Gomes is around 52kg (!) from what I can see. Messi is sixteen kilos heavier! Sixteen!! Xavi, Iniesta and Kante are all roughly the same.

5ft 5in and around 50kg is an average 14 year old boy.

Last edited:

tenpoless

I think if He impressed Ole in training, He would have started quite a lot of games.
It takes a manager worse than David Moyes to ignore you and decided to play Lingard and Andreas instead (if you're actually better than them).
Maybe He's just not that impressive.

Infestissumam

I would have loved for him to re-sign with us, but I'm not too fussed that he's leaving either. Just goes to show that youth development is tricky and unpredictable. Sometimes, youth players take unexpected leaps in their development and amount to more than people thought they would ... and sometimes 15- or 16-year-olds, who were hyped up to be next big thing, fizzle out without fulfilling their potential. Not saying Gomes necessarily belongs in that second group, but if you had told me two years ago that he'd leave on a free transfer after only 5 PL games (no starts) after being overtaken by other youngsters, I wouldn't have believed it.

And I get that people would have rather seen him than the likes of Lingard, but the truth is that Gomes simply didn't force Ole's hands like Greenwood or even Williams did. Injuries were also an issue for sure, but in the games where he got to play I didn't see a "can't miss" player that would force his way into the team. Same thing with Chong, by the way. So you have two options: either you re-sign and continue to work on your game to eventually get there (like Chong did), or you leave (like Gomes did). Both of these things are fine IMO. I'm sure it was a chicken/egg situation at the end where the club said "you won't play if you don't re-sign" and where the player said "I won't re-sign if I don't play". These things happen.

Good luck to him, I'll follow his career and hope he can become a good player. I just hope he's smart and chooses his next club carefully ...

Infestissumam

United generally don't make many mistakes when releasing players. Pogba and Pique being massive exceptions.
we never released Pique, we sold him back to Barcelona for €5m (according to Transfermarkt). I believe he simply wanted to go home and SAF granted his wish.

Blood Mage

He had more to offer us than Lingard and Peireira do but was very much overrated by the Caf.

ChaddyP

I think if He impressed Ole in training, He would have started quite a lot of games.
It takes a manager worse than David Moyes to ignore you and decided to play Lingard and Andreas instead (if you're actually better than them).
Maybe He's just not that impressive.
Yeh I agree here. Ole definitely would have been playing him more if he thought he was a better option than Lingard and Co.

flappyjay

Bar Greenwood, Marcus and mctominay the other academy graduates had to go on loan to earn a place in the team. If he felt the minutes were not enough why not extend and go on loan. If he had done well on loan came back and had not got a fair chance I would understand his frustration.

Adisa

Yeah but at the same time it could reinforce the opinion that other managers may think he’s a risk to make it in the top flight (like Ole I assume) or why else does he not have a club lined up?

Would have expected him to have a club lined up before turning down United. I think he saw who was ahead of him in Bruno / Pogba with Sancho on the way and didn’t fancy his chances (rather than him being upset by Lingard playing.)

I think he would have been bang up for challenging Lingard for a place but not so much with the other boys.

I can see a move to Germany for sure.
There are quite a number of people saying that up until recently, he was leaning towards staying. So that might be a reason.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Lingard comparisons are fair given that they're essentially the same age yet Jesse has achieved/featured so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.