Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald G

I think it'll be stupid if he goes to PSG or Barca for example. He seems to have left because of first team football and he just won't get that at a top club right now. If I'm his agent, I'm advising him to go to a fairly decent side but not a top club - a club where he will realistically get first team minutes in the upcoming season.

SAFMUTD

I would genuinely be surprised if any of those clubs will have him on their radar. I can't even imagine the top 4 clubs in the portuguese league will want him. He's 20 in a month and a half with next to no first team experience and I seriously doubt his next club will be a Champions League side, nevermind a club the likes of PSG or Barça. What makes you believe he can attract those sort of clubs? - honestly curious.
Exactly my thoughts, if he was 17-18 without a doubt being highly rated in the acamedy would be enough, but at 20 the top teams are looking for players with first team experience, and with the first team Gomes performances hasnt showned anything attractive to be honest.

I think his next club will be in a lesser league, if I was him my main corcern would be to get playing time, a players career goes fast and if by 22-23 he's not achieved anything his career can go south real fast, and he's not getting those minutes in a top team.

In Rainbows

Not sure why Pogba is being mentioned so much in this thread.
Similar situation with Gomes, but Pogba was head and shoulders above Gomes in terms of development when he left, it's not even a fair comparison!
When Pogba left, he was in a very similar situation to Gomes. If the comparison is when each footballer left then they had a similar track record. Both are prodigous technical talents with Pogba probably having a little more extra due to Pogba's shooting ability.

If you compare ages, then there is a difference because Pogba left after his age 18/19 season. So when he was 19 years old, he shined for Juve cementing himself as arguably the best young talent in football. Gomes just had his age 19 season and didn't get playing time. Therefore in terms of age, Pogba clearly was far ahead of Gomes in their age 19 season.

But if the comparison was indeed as you said "when he left", then they were very similar. I would say the only difference is that Pogba had the physical superiority where as Gomes has less clubs to choose from due to his physique.

This doesn't mean Gomes will replicate Pogba. I wish he does. His vision is excellent, as is his first touch, and ability to carry the ball. But it's hard to think a player is a dead cert after being burned so many times. Heck, I even thought Pogba was making a mistake by choosing Juve as Juve had Pirlo, Vidal, and Marchisio already.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
United offered him good terms and he declined. So the club wanted to keep him but any more money on his contract at that age having done diddly squat and we’d be back to players stealing a living from the club.

Think it’s extraordinary he’s left with no next move lined up, seems like he’s been caught in an unexpected situation here.
He may have had an offer he was planning on taking, but then got more offers come in right at the end so he's weighing them up.

SecondFig

I think it'll be stupid if he goes to PSG or Barca for example. He seems to have left because of first team football and he just won't get that at a top club right now. If I'm his agent, I'm advising him to go to a fairly decent side but not a top club - a club where he will realistically get first team minutes in the upcoming season.
Totally agree - a move to a good club in the Netherlands or Portugal, or to a mid-table club in France or Spain could work well. Or someone like RB Salzburg etc - but if he goes to a PSG, Chelsea, Barcelona etc then he's just going to sit in the reserves until he heads out on loan someewhere.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He could be a possible gem in the market for teams like Dortmund etc.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sure it’s been said already, but we get a compensation cheque from his next club right?

SuperiorXI

He is a real curious case. Didn't get a chance under Solksjaer, maybe because of the contract situation, or maybe because he wasn't good enough.

Was tipped to be a phenomenal talent a few years back but that happens regularly with our academy. The step up is huge.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
So has anything changed with anyone having a clue as to where he's going?

Red00012

I’d imagine he’s plenty of options , he doesn’t have to be in a panic to sign for someone immediately.

mu4c_20le

This doesn't feel right, there's been no more rumours. Either there's no interest, or no one cares about him to dig around for news, which says it all. Will probably end up in belgian league or something.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This doesn't feel right, there's been no more rumours. Either there's no interest, or no one cares about him to dig around for news, which says it all. Will probably end up in belgian league or something.
Dortmund I think. Just a guess but I could see that happening now they’re probably losing Sancho.

prateik

He cant sign for anyone right now, can he? I mean join and start playing..

He's taking his break.. waiting for offers and taking time to decide. He'll get plenty of offers..

Why rush it, especially if he didnt already have some club lined up..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He cant sign for anyone right now, can he? I mean join and start playing..

He's taking his break.. waiting for offers and taking time to decide. He'll get plenty of offers..

Why rush it, especially if he didnt already have some club lined up..
Ziyech has joined up with Chelsea and is training, with a view to bedding in faster next season which i think is a good plan.

If Gomes does not know exactly where he will be next season, he's taken a massive gamble.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm going to go with a random guess and say maybe Leipzig.

Do find it weird that we've heard nothing yet. You'd think he'd have had something lined up.

Hope there's not a deeper issue at play that we never knew about.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ziyech has joined up with Chelsea and is training, with a view to bedding in faster next season which i think is a good plan.

If Gomes does not know exactly where he will be next season, he's taken a massive gamble.
Yes he has. Signing a contract with Utd at least guaranteed 1) wages and 2) The probability of game time.

If he then didn't like it, we could have found him a club...now though he could be out on a limb

romufc

Do find it weird that we've heard nothing yet. You'd think he'd have had something lined up.
Especially with alot of clubs around Europe will be coming back into training soon, from the ones that are not already playing.

It does surprise me that he has not been announced by any club yet.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
When Pogba left, he was in a very similar situation to Gomes. If the comparison is when each footballer left then they had a similar track record. Both are prodigous technical talents with Pogba probably having a little more extra due to Pogba's shooting ability.

If you compare ages, then there is a difference because Pogba left after his age 18/19 season. So when he was 19 years old, he shined for Juve cementing himself as arguably the best young talent in football. Gomes just had his age 19 season and didn't get playing time. Therefore in terms of age, Pogba clearly was far ahead of Gomes in their age 19 season.

But if the comparison was indeed as you said "when he left", then they were very similar. I would say the only difference is that Pogba had the physical superiority where as Gomes has less clubs to choose from due to his physique.

This doesn't mean Gomes will replicate Pogba. I wish he does. His vision is excellent, as is his first touch, and ability to carry the ball. But it's hard to think a player is a dead cert after being burned so many times. Heck, I even thought Pogba was making a mistake by choosing Juve as Juve had Pirlo, Vidal, and Marchisio already.
Key difference was Pogba was physically ready for means football, can you say the same for Gomes?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I know its chump change to footballers, but he's essentially given up £60k the last two weeks, would take me over two years to get that amount - puts it in perspective.

Anyway, wonder who he's training with? You'd think it would be dangerous to train without a contract/insurance if he breaks his leg or something.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Whoever advices Gomes sure takes lightly on gambling with his professional career. I hope he has something actually lined up before rejecting a contract that makes him financially and professionally comfortable for years to come. Very curious why askin to go on loan wasn't on the table.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Gomes can't be any smaller than Tariq Lamptey at Brighton (5'4") and he's done well so far.
Probably a similar height but Lamptey is faster a players out wide tend to be bullied less. I imagine Gomes sandwiched between 6ft+ centre halfs and defensive mids being bullied whenever he is on the ball.

romufc

Whoever advices Gomes sure takes lightly on gambling with his professional career. I hope he has something actually lined up before rejecting a contract that makes him financially and professionally comfortable for years to come. Very curious why askin to go on loan wasn't on the table.
Agree with this. United is probably one of the best clubs if you are a talented young player to come through and get chances in the first team. The two reasons why it seems he has turned this down is playing time and money. Which club will want to pay £40k a week and offer him guaranteed football?

It seems like the agent wants a good signing on bonus, I hope he is not ill adviced.

Giggsy13

The fact none of our domestic rivals have come in with an offer should tell everything you need about Gomes. I think he is getting terrible advice from those close to him. I think he ends up at a mid table club in Spain and disappears into mediocrity in a few years.

Barnslig

The fact none of our domestic rivals have come in with an offer should tell everything you need about Gomes. I think he is getting terrible advice from those close to him. I think he ends up at a mid table club in Spain and disappears into mediocrity in a few years.
I don't know who his agent is, but there's been videos posted of him in a religious setting trying to get his injuries healed by a "Man of God", if the same people that advised him to talk to this supposed healer advised him on his sporting career, I'm not surprised the advice is terrible.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The Gomes Delusion is in full effect.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Chelsea have been heavily linked, don't speak too soon.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Someone has been in contact, but almost certainly letting the dust settle before making whatever deal has been struck official.

No one would make this gamble without concrete information and certain guarantees in place. We will know in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.