Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pace Abuser

The whole thing is bizarre from Gomes' camp. Some people were making excuses for him like he's respecting united by not signing so soon after leaving or that he was taking a break. On what planet do you take a break from 25k, especially when that break co-oncides with your holidays anyway.

He's fecked it and I am loving the stance of the club.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The hype around him on here was ridiculous, you’d think he was being hard done by not being a regular in our first team. He’s not ready and has a long way to go.

POF

Has nobody told Barcelona he's available? They've dropped the ball here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't see how this was about money unless he has been very poorly advised. You can see at United from someone like McTominay that if you graft and put in the performances you will have your contract assessed every 6-12 months and get a wage rise. I think it is a case similar to Pogba where he was miffed that he wasn't getting the gametime he felt he deserved (ahead of perhaps Pereira or Chong) and in the next contract stage he wasn't assured of that so he got more fed up of the club and decided to find a new place even if it meant going out on loan when he got to that next club.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What was his advisors thinking?
They must have felt so sure that he would attract better offers, or that United would give them however much money they were asking for.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Moving away from us was the right choice,in my view, just surprised there seemed to be fewer options on the table for him.
Still,wish him all the best. He's a interesting talent.

Pace Abuser

I don't see how this was about money unless he has been very poorly advised. You can see at United from someone like McTominay that if you graft and put in the performances you will have your contract assessed every 6-12 months and get a wage rise. I think it is a case similar to Pogba where he was miffed that he wasn't getting the gametime he felt he deserved (ahead of perhaps Pereira or Chong) and in the next contract stage he wasn't assured of that so he got more fed up of the club and decided to find a new place even if it meant going out on loan when he got to that next club.
So he feels he's good enough for the United first team but simultaneously accepts going on loan to le foreskin or wherever it is?

I really don't know the logic behind it. We'll have to wait for him to speak I guess.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So he feels he's good enough for the United first team but simultaneously accepts going on loan to le foreskin or wherever it is?

I really don't know the logic behind it. We'll have to wait for him to speak I guess.

He may see it as a I'd rather go a step back in order to go two forward than stay and stall situation.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Completely unnecessary.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He wants to be playing somewhere or he will never develop. A loan to Portugal will do him good and Lille players seem to be in demand if he goes back there. We should have sent him on loan, although it is possible we were going to do exactly that this next season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He may see it as a I'd rather go a step back in order to go two forward than stay and stall situation.
I don't even understand that now as its being reported that he is being loaned out to a Portuguese club. Could he not have found a more competitive loan from United to a lower premier league club like Newcastle or an EFL club like Bournemouth or Watford?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Other way round. He sorted a loan for himself and we cancelled it and refused to let him go on loan.
Ah, sounds like a bit of a cock up on all sides throughout the years. I'm sure it will work itself out for him though, Campos is pretty good at planning paths for his signings and he's got the talent. Just gotta keep fit.

Irrational.

It might technically be unnecessary, but it contains lots of nerve endings.
:lol::lol:

I reckon he thought he'd have offers flying in once he left and has ended up with egg on his face.

Far too impatient for a player as green as he is. This was the best place for him to develop and fulfil his potential - I predict he's going to go on to have a nomadic career from here on.

NotThatSoph

He wants to play first team football. He wasn't getting that at United, so he wanted a loan. We blocked that loan. Signing for a French club and securing a loan to a Portuguese club doesn't sound like a bad idea if what you want is to play. They're competitive leagues but not as competitive as the Premier League.

Yet so many people think he was holding United for ransom and got burnt. It's possible, sure, but I don't see why that'd be the go-to assumption. Good luck to the kid, I hope he succeeds.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bizarre. Oh well. Whether it works for him or not, good luck.
Yep. Perfect word for it. Whoever is advising him is doing a fecking terrible meal of it.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He could have signed the contract and gone out on loan at Utd. This seems like a bad decision overall.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The hype around him on here was ridiculous, you’d think he was being hard done by not being a regular in our first team. He’s not ready and has a long way to go.
Think certain people went overboard when the links with Barca came. It probably went to his head too. Then only to find out they wanted him for their b team. Anyway, he’s had some terrible advice. 30K at United on a 5 year deal, would have been absolutely amazing for him. He could have found a club abroad and did all the things he’s doing now and still be on the relatively massive contract. No way Lile are offering him the sums that we were going to offer and send him on loan to Portugal.

Mainoldo

He wants to play first team football. He wasn't getting that at United, so he wanted a loan. We blocked that loan. Signing for a French club and securing a loan to a Portuguese club doesn't sound like a bad idea if what you want is to play. They're competitive leagues but not as competitive as the Premier League.

Yet so many people think he was holding United for ransom and got burnt. It's possible, sure, but I don't see why that'd be the go-to assumption. Good luck to the kid, I hope he succeeds.
Why did we block the loan? Pretty much sounds like we’ll do the same to Chong.. if true. We seem to want fringe players.. not use them then don’t send them out on loan.

Drainy

Man of god, please help me, I left my club and noone wants me. I have problems with my football career, I have problems with my career.

Alemar

We seem to want fringe players.. not use them then don’t send them out on loan.
That’s a good question. Why to keep a young player if the maximum he may hope to play is a few games with Tranmere calibre opposition? Not good enough yet - send out on loan

CM10

If the club did block his loan move then you can understand his frustration. Minutes on the pitch are the most important thing for a player of his age.

Even if he doesn't develop into the player some thought he might be, it must be disheartening to watch players like Pereira, Lingard and Mata repeatedly piss their chances up the wall and continue to be overlooked.

NotThatSoph

Why did we block the loan? Pretty much sounds like we’ll do the same to Chong.. if true. We seem to want fringe players.. not use them then don’t send them out on loan.
I don't really know, but apparently it happened both this season and last. Manchester Evening News have an article on it that doesn't say too much, and this one on the move blocked in 2019.

Nicky Butt talked about why Garner and Levitt didn't go on loan here, and he also mentions Gomes.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Quite a bit of snobbery in here. Lille came 4th in the French league.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If the club did block his loan move then you can understand his frustration. Minutes on the pitch are the most important thing for a player of his age.

Even if he doesn't develop into the player some thought he might be, it must be disheartening to watch players like Pereira, Lingard and Mata repeatedly piss their chances up the wall and continue to be overlooked.
I don’t think he is anywhere close to standards of Pereira Lingard or Mata. Else OGS would certainly have played him.

It’s trendy to diss these players, but they are still decent PL standard professionals.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That’s a good question. Why to keep a young player if the maximum he may hope to play is a few games with Tranmere calibre opposition? Not good enough yet - send out on loan
Maybe there weren’t decent level clubs willing to take him? He really isn’t that good yet at men’s level standard.

CM10

I don’t think he is anywhere close to standards of Pereira Lingard or Mata. Else OGS would certainly have played him.

It’s trendy to diss these players, but they are still decent PL standard professionals.
If that's the case his loan move shouldn't have been blocked

POF

If that's the case his loan move shouldn't have been blocked
Why would you send a player on loan until the end of his contract? Impress on loan to leave on a free?

If he wanted to go on loan then sign a contract. It happened that way with Henderson too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not sure why people are hating on Lille so hard
It's not so much hating on Lille as thinking it all seemed very unplanned from the Gomes camp.

If he was willing to be loaned out then there was no point in leaving for playing time.
If what he wanted was money then he presumably will be getting less at Lille than what he was offered by United, especially if he proves himself in the first team when he gets the chance as McTominays contract shows you get improvements if you improve.

Then there is how long he went without signing for anyone. It just seems like his camp wasn't informed about what options were ahead of him before turning down United.

Status
Not open for further replies.