Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon S

Don’t think it is about money, guy just wants to play football. With attacking players like Rashford, Bruno, Martial, Mason, Pogba and soon perhaps even Sancho ahead of him there would not be many minutes left for him. He has a fair chance i guess of becoming a starter pretty soon for Boavista which would be important to his development. Really hope he does well there!

Nick7

Still very weird. The word was we wanted to loan him out but he didn’t want to go on loan but play for a team that owns him.

Untd55

I don't understand why people keep saying that he has messed it up. People need to stop thinking about it in terms of being a fan and start looking at it as being a player.

Supposedly, the last two seasons he has been refused the chance to go on loan by Manchester United. He has then proceeded not to play.

Think about it this way:

One season, you ask for a loan and your club refuses and states that they want to keep you for depth with the possibility of game time. You then proceed not to play any games. What would you be thinking? Okay, I didn't get to play, so maybe I get to play/get loaned next season.

Next season, you ask for a loan and the club again refuses, stating that you will get playing time. You then proceed not to play. As the season progresses, you start questioning why you are not getting any chances. The club says if you want chances you have to sign a contract. Doesn't that sound suspiciously like a threat? Your trust in the club has already been damaged and now you are being threatened. Would you actually take kindly to that? I think it would damage most people's perceptions of their employer.

Two seasons have been wasted in your view; you have got no valuable experience and now you have a bad view of your employer. What is the best answer? To move. People have assumed it is about wages, but he seems like he might be happy to go on loan just to get some game time.

RUCK4444

I bet that contract United offered is looking more appealing than ever.

He will get a short term contract somewhere like Wolves or Everton I reckon, Chance to prove himself in the league and it’s physicality and go from there.

Santos J

Should be a good move for him. The reaction on here from a few has been so weird, thinking he's ruined any chance of a career in professional football because he didn't renew with us. :lol: Not everyone wants to stay. Get over it.

CM10

Why would you send a player on loan until the end of his contract? Impress on loan to leave on a free?

If he wanted to go on loan then sign a contract. It happened that way with Henderson too.
It works both ways. Why would he sign the contract if he had no indication of playing time or a path to the first team?

I'm not bothered enough to get into a long discussion about it, honestly. If Lille are choosing to send him on loan he probably wasn't ready to make it here anytime soon. I just don't think that necessarily equates to arrogance from Gomes' side.

Beaucoup

Bit of a gamble, but he’s done it for the right reasons, good luck to him. I’m looking forward to see how he progresses

Last edited:
Free agent so he'll get more money either through wages or signing on fee.
If he was an experienced player.

However, he’s a youth team player who has close to zero first team experience, he’s not in a position to appropriate a transfer fee into his wages.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Should be a good move for him. The reaction on here from a few has been so weird, thinking he's ruined any chance of a career in professional football because he didn't renew with us. :lol: Not everyone wants to stay. Get over it.
Just have a gander over at the Odegaard thread of previous years. Place is genuinely embarrassing.

Classical Mechanic

I think the way in which he left isn’t that weird. There are a number of his peers that were in the same position, Danny Loader is still without a club, for example. The Covid situation and extension of the season gave players extra time to consider their options.

Ekeke

I think the way in which he left isn’t that weird. There are a number of his peers that were in the same position, Danny Loader is still without a club, for example. The Covid situation and extension of the season gave players extra time to consider their options.
Also clubs want to save some money so starting a new contract before its needed is a good way to cope with covid

limerickcitykid

Older players like Cavani, Lyle Taylor, Jeff Hendrick and several others as well. There is no rush as clubs either aren’t playing or they’re focusing on finishing a season these free agents can play no part in.

limerickcitykid

As part of his new contract negotiations, he was to be loaned out this season to a Championship side or similar. His reps have really done him dirty here.
After refusing his previous loans and sitting him in the stands for 18 months? And a loan to a random club which we typically have a terrible track record of sorting?

Lille are a great club with a young side, and a loan to Boavista who is owned by the same people thus with the same goals of his development. Seems to me his reps did just fine.

izec

Great move for him. One year at Boavista, to get back on track after getting almost no senior game time here. Then one or two good seasons at Lille, and he will be at a great club in a great league again. As a starter this time

He will prove a lot of people wrong. Feel free to quote me in a couple of years

POF

It works both ways. Why would he sign the contract if he had no indication of playing time or a path to the first team?

I'm not bothered enough to get into a long discussion about it, honestly. If Lille are choosing to send him on loan he probably wasn't ready to make it here anytime soon. I just don't think that necessarily equates to arrogance from Gomes' side.
It does. But from the club's perspective, letting him go on loan is the equivalent of releasing him.

Players go on loan to develop them for their club. No point doing that if they're not going to stay.

Ligue 1 seemed an odd move to me but Boavista is probably a good fit for him. I hope he does well there.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: Danny loader

-Supreme-

Great move for him. One year at Boavista, to get back on track after getting almost no senior game time here. Then one or two good seasons at Lille, and he will be at a great club in a great league again. As a starter this time

He will prove a lot of people wrong. Feel free to quote me in a couple of years
You made it sound like you are the only person that thinks he will do well by moving to another club, but in fact your opinion shares by majority on here.

If you have read the responses clearly people are only questioning why he turned us down as he could have got a loan move if he had stayed at United.

Ace of Spades

After refusing his previous loans and sitting him in the stands for 18 months? And a loan to a random club which we typically have a terrible track record of sorting?

Lille are a great club with a young side, and a loan to Boavista who is owned by the same people thus with the same goals of his development. Seems to me his reps did just fine.
Except he was not in the stands for 18 months, his performances were not good enough when given the chance. He was playing in the u23s while training with the first team. Also, the reason he was not loaned was not only because he had not signed a contract, but also to gauge if he could directly break in to the first team and handle that level. He could not, and would have likely been loaned next season.

The reps have totally fecked up, in the end they have not achieved anything different to what they would have got here.

izec

You made it sound like you are the only person that thinks he will do well by moving to another club, but in fact your opinion shares by majority on here.

If you have read the responses clearly people are only questioning why he turned us down as he could have got a loan move if he had stayed at United.
United did nothing the last 2 years. The club messed him around. I wouldn't trust the club to nurture my career if they weren't able to make him progress since his last contract.

I am rubbing it in for the guys, who think he wasn't all that and by leaving United and not going to a top club, his career is doomed. He made a mistake apparently.

limerickcitykid

Except he was not in the stands for 18 months, his performances were not good enough when given the chance. He was playing in the u23s while training with the first team. Also, the reason he was not loaned was not only because he had not signed a contract, but also to gauge if he could directly break in to the first team and handle that level. He could not, and would have likely been loaned next season.

The reps have totally fecked up, in the end they have not achieved anything different to what they would have got here.
Except he was in the stands. He had 13 u23s appearances in those 18 months. 11 of which in a league he outgrew, 18 months ago. His contract isn’t a reason to block a loan in January 2019. It doesn’t take 18 months to decide he can’t handle it.

His reps haven’t fecked anything up. They’ve achieved him finding a club who he believes will give him more game time and develop him better.

Red Comet

United did nothing the last 2 years. The club messed him around. I wouldn't trust the club to nurture my career if they weren't able to make him progress since his last contract.

I am rubbing it in for the guys, who think he wasn't all that and by leaving United and not going to a top club, his career is doomed. He made a mistake apparently.
Except that he was in the stands and has been involved in 1st team training.

Look, clearly everyone here has been excited by him for years. The only problem is that whatever fantastic skills he has shown in non-competitive matches doesn’t translate to any of the chances he was given in 1st team matches.

People can say that he’s mismanaged, but look at this from another perspective: The club has made “Youth, Courage, Success” as the slogan under Ole and he has given 1st team opportunities to so many youth players and while players like Mason and Williams grabbed their opportunity to shine, Gomes didn’t. People shit on Lingard, Pereira all the time but Gomes can’t even displace them.

Ole and his coaches see the players during training all the time and not just the selected YouTube highlights so it must have meant something.

And this is not to shit on Gomes. Nobody is saying he’s a shit player suddenly. There is a reason we offered him a lucrative contract despite him not making an impression in the 1st team. But clearly it’s not the same situation as Pogba, where there is clearly some shit from Raiola going on and Juve’s interest in the player was known early.

Lille is not some unfashionable backwater club but it is also not possible to equate them with Juventus.

In Rainbows

Because maybe the loan move he got from Lille, guaranteed him more game time than if he was loaned out to a club of United's choosing? We don't have that kind of partnership with another club.

Scholsey2004

Bizarre. Leaves the biggest club in England, seemingly for first team football, to Lille so he can be loaned to Portugal? Surely he could have been loaned to a Portuguese side from United?

Ace of Spades

Except he was in the stands. He had 13 u23s appearances in those 18 months. 11 of which in a league he outgrew, 18 months ago. His contract isn’t a reason to block a loan in January 2019. It doesn’t take 18 months to decide he can’t handle it.

His reps haven’t fecked anything up. They’ve achieved him finding a club who he believes will give him more game time and develop him better.
He was not in the stands, he was playing games and training with the first team, that is not being in the stands for 18 months. He was certainly not ready 18 months ago, and the low number of appearance for the u23s were also because he had some small niggling injuries during that time. He certainly had not grown out of that level 18 months ago. He was not ready for the first team this season, much less 18 months ago. And yes, it does take time to decide whether to loan him or not, as loaning him to a poor club won't help him either. Not to mention every player is different, and way to improve is also different. Loans don't always work, and if his reps thought he was ready 18 months ago to play men's football, then that just shows the poor job they are doing.

His contract is a reason not to let him go on loan, as that just gives the player the chance to ask stupid terms of he has even a moderate success with it. Considering the demands that he was making, it was the right option.

His reps have absolutely fecked it up, they were deluding themselves that Gomes could play in a top team from a top league at this point. We had offered a very good contract, and would have loaned him to a club that suited his development best.
His reps have not achieved anything other than getting him to some club that does not care about his development. He has been loaned as soon as he signed, to a club which may or may not suit him, just because they have the same owners.

Good luck to him, but he needs to improve a lot before he can play in a top team.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So he is going to go on loan after signing for a new team? He could have done the same here. Just requested he go on loan next year to prove he is good enough for a spot here.

limerickcitykid

He was not in the stands, he was playing games and training with the first team, that is not being in the stands for 18 months.
Only 1,400 minutes at all levels in 18 months is the definition of in the stands. He wasn't playing matches, hence he was sitting in the stands.

He was certainly not ready 18 months ago, and the low number of appearance for the u23s were also because he had some small niggling injuries during that time. He certainly had not grown out of that level 18 months ago.
He was dominating u23s matches throughout 18/19 and was most certainly ready to make a further step. He's missed at most a few weeks with injuries in that time, that doesn't explain the pitiful amount of football he's played.

He was not ready for the first team this season, much less 18 months ago.
Hence why he organized a loan.

And yes, it does take time to decide whether to loan him or not, as loaning him to a poor club won't help him either. Not to mention every player is different, and way to improve is also different. Loans don't always work, and if his reps thought he was ready 18 months ago to play men's football, then that just shows the poor job they are doing.
It does not take 18 months to evaluate him. Exactly, loaning him to a poor club won't help. Something we do on the regular.

He was too good for the u23s 18 months ago, the next step is senior football. That just shows his reps understand basic progression.

His contract is a reason not to let him go on loan, as that just gives the player the chance to ask stupid terms of he has even a moderate success with it. Considering the demands that he was making, it was the right option.
So we don't loan players out in case they do too good and ask for better compensation. But rather sit them in the stands so we can force them into lower wages? Wow.

His reps have absolutely fecked it up,
Except they haven't.

they were deluding themselves that Gomes could play in a top team from a top league at this point.
They never said that, so you've made that up.

We had offered a very good contract, and would have loaned him to a club that suited his development best.
We have little track record to support being able to do that. And no loan we sort will suit his development as well as any loan to a related club.

His reps have not achieved anything other than getting him to some club that does not care about his development.
Here you go again just making stuff up.

The fact you think clubs shouldn't loan players in case they do too good and want raises shows you have no understanding of how to care for development anyway.

He has been loaned as soon as he signed, to a club which may or may not suit him, just because they have the same owners.
Owners which run a club around developing young players and have purchased Boavista with the sole purpose of further player development. Owners which have a DoF which this forum has wanked itself silly over for years now. A club with a CEO with roots in Barcelona. It'll suit him just grand.

Good luck to him, but he needs to improve a lot before he can play in a top team.
Guess it is good he left a "top team" to get playing time then.

Morpheus 7

He's 20 in August and talk of being loaned out by Lille. Let's see what he does, he's been clearly badly advised. The options weren't maybe what he thought.

Gazza

There's no need for all the vitriol really. I can understand it, as a United fan to see a young player leave of his own volition, it hurts, and I think people are reacting emotionally. Young man made a decision for his career, now he has to pursue it and see where it takes him. The only reasonable reaction to that is to say 'Fair enough, good luck to you'. That's the long and short of it really.

Highfather_24

He was the u17 captain, in the same team with Sancho and Foden. While Foden is playing regularly with city, and is one of the brightest prospects of PL, and we are about to sign Sancho for a world record fee...

Gomes is about to be loaned out from a French team, to a Portuguese mid table team. Its kinda sad.

Cloud7

I don't even understand that now as its being reported that he is being loaned out to a Portuguese club. Could he not have found a more competitive loan from United to a lower premier league club like Newcastle or an EFL club like Bournemouth or Watford?
I'll just share my thoughts on this, but for a young, creative player, would a loan to a lower PL club really be of that much benefit? Sure, some clubs do endeavor to play good football, but in general I wouldn't look at a lower PL team or a Championship team as the best place for a creative player to develop.

georgipep

I'll just share my thoughts on this, but for a young, creative player, would a loan to a lower PL club really be of that much benefit? Sure, some clubs do endeavor to play good football, but in general I wouldn't look at a lower PL team or a Championship team as the best place for a creative player to develop.
I think he has been guaranteed a starting place by the Lille owners and that's the main reason. Boavista had 44.7% average possession this season and are not the most creative and fluid team at all. But regardless, I hope he makes the most of it and progresses a lot. He is a talent I want to see shine at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.