Angel Gomes Watch

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is actually his first season of senior football and he's been thrust into an abysmal team. He's done alright.

SplitzMagic

Well he's not going to do a pogba that's for sure.

Football is funny... Because if Juve had taken him we'd probably be linked with him again and he'd already be worth like 70m.

He'll probably have a career like Ben Arfa, I think he's the closest match player wise.

R'hllor

It was not all about him leaving its was also about who stayed back and reasons why he decided to leave. I know there are a lot gold fishes swimming around this place but lets not pretend that people were frustrated for no reason, not like there was this demand for him to get more minutes while those who got those minutes were 9/10.

Brightonian

Unfortunately he is simply the proof that football does have a physical element which can't be wholly bypassed. You can get away with being small, these days, but pace is absolutely a prerequisite. If Gomes was fast, his incredible ball control could make him unstoppable. But with no pace at all to speak of, it's toothless. You can't beat a man if you can't run past him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unfortunately he is simply the proof that football does have a physical element which can't be wholly bypassed. You can get away with being small, these days, but pace is absolutely a prerequisite. If Gomes was fast, his incredible ball control could make him unstoppable. But with no pace at all to speak of, it's toothless. You can't beat a man if you can't run past him.
You can make up for it in other areas. David Silva for example.

flappyjay

I don't if will ever reach world class levels but I believe his technique will get him a good career at one of the top 5 leagues. He will probably start to show it in his mid twenties.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It do limit what role he can have and teams he can play for. I do think he can become a good wide playmaker (similar to Eriksen at Spurs) for a possession-orientated team. But his off the ball movement need to improve alot compared to when he was at Man Utd.

jackal&hyde

It was not all about him leaving its was also about who stayed back and reasons why he decided to leave. I know there are a lot gold fishes swimming around this place but lets not pretend that people were frustrated for no reason, not like there was this demand for him to get more minutes while those who got those minutes were 9/10.
They were not great of course but those players are now playing at West Ham and Lazio, not United level but way higher then Angel. He was just not ready. Today he would have 0 chances with Bruno and Pogba ahead plus DVB in the waiting. I wanted him to stay and get a loan somewhere but as a fan base we went way over board with the complaining and it was also used as a stick to beat the manager with.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Looks like he's had a good season all in

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/338497/Show/Angel-Gomes

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the more physical French league next season.
Meh, bar a few good games he has found it difficult to shine in a very poor team.
I think the best thing Lille can take from the loan is that he got game time.
How productive that game time was remains to be seen, as he was often a passenger in games due to Boavista being so poor on the ball.

Brightonian

I don't if will ever reach world class levels but I believe his technique will get him a good career at one of the top 5 leagues. He will probably start to show it in his mid twenties.
Possibly, but he will have to change positions. You can't be an attacker if you can't move past a defender once you've beaten him with skill. His brain and composure and range of passing might make him a decent deep-lying playmaker though, provided the team he's in can cover the fact he's no great defensive force.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
this sounds about right. It’s also shows it doesn’t exactly matter who is tearing it up at u23s. That’s not even what the coaches are looking for half the time. Half the time it’s just physique or even something as basic as being available and ready to play a few games in an injury crisis. He’s already made it in the game but he’ll never reach a level where we will regret him leaving or try and sign him back. I’m certain of it.

RooneyLegend

this sounds about right. It’s also shows it doesn’t exactly matter who is tearing it up at u23s. That’s not even what the coaches are looking for half the time. Half the time it’s just physique or even something as basic as being available and ready to play a few games in an injury crisis. He’s already made it in the game but he’ll never reach a level where we will regret him leaving or try and sign him back. I’m certain of it.
Clueless. He's as talented as they come. It's going to end in tears for us.

Ali Dia

Clueless. He's as talented as they come. It's going to end in tears for us.
Yes he’s talented. I never said he wasn’t but If he’s as sure of a thing as you seem to think we’d have offered him more money than we did and guaranteed first team football and he’d have stayed. There’s no point getting your knickers in a twist every time he has some good games. Plenty of our ex academy go on and do well but it never ends in tears for us. If he was ready he would have been fast tracked and would have been getting eased in. Best case scenario he would have been out on loan this season. Ask yourself honestly would what he’s done this year be enough to get him a transfer here because that’s what he’s up against.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Yes he’s talented. I never said he wasn’t but If he’s as sure of a thing as you seem to think we’d have offered him more money than we did and guaranteed first team football and he’d have stayed. There’s no point getting your knickers in a twist every time he has some good games. Plenty of our ex academy go on and do well but it never ends in tears for us. If he was ready he would have been fast tracked and would have been getting eased in. Best case scenario he would have been out on loan this season. Ask yourself honestly would what he’s done this year be enough to get him a transfer here because that’s what he’s up against.
Clubs make bad decisions all the time when it comes to young players as we found out the hard way with Pogba. Basically a 100 Euro mistake.

It normally doesn't bite us in the you know what because we don't exactly produce hoards of players with world class potential.

I don't know what hes done this season and I doubt many do, who really watches whatever team it is he plays for.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Clubs make bad decisions all the time when it comes to young players as we found out the hard way with Pogba. Basically a 100 Euro mistake.

It normally doesn't bite us in the you know what because we don't exactly produce hoards of players with world class potential.

I don't know what hes done this season and I doubt many do, who really watches whatever team it is he plays for
:lol:

Ali Dia

I don't know what hes done this season and I doubt many do, who really watches whatever team it is he plays for.
How can you be calling me clueless when you don’t know who he’s been playing for or if you haven’t been watching him? :nervous:

To get football he’s had to drop down below anywhere near where we would usually be looking at potential players to bring in. Yes he can get back up to a good level over the next year or 2 but in his mid 20s for us to be looking at him he’s going to want to be running games in the CL. I just can’t really see it happening. United will be the biggest club he plays for unless he’s picked up as a backup option at another big club and then he is back to having the same problem as at United.

i don’t think we have to worry too much about this 100 euro mistake.

RooneyLegend

How can you be calling me clueless when you don’t know who he’s been playing for or if you haven’t been watching him? :nervous:

To get football he’s had to drop down below anywhere near where we would usually be looking at potential players to bring in. Yes he can get back up to a good level over the next year or 2 but in his mid 20s for us to be looking at him he’s going to want to be running games in the CL. I just can’t really see it happening. United will be the biggest club he plays for unless he’s picked up as a backup option at another big club and then he is back to having the same problem as at United.

i don’t think we have to worry too much about this 100 euro mistake.
Because I've actually seen him play when he was here. I take it he hasn't changed much, what could have changed in a year?

I called you clueless cause you said that you're certain that he'll never reach the level where this would be regarded as a mistake. How can you say that about a player of his level of ability?

What are you on about? He's playing at the level where we've bought many players including our current so called talisman.

100 million Euro mistake was Pogba and this has the makings of another one. You simply dont let go of players of his ability at that age you keep hold of him, send him on loan or you play him. You see how it turns out and then can make a more informed decision as the years go by.

Ali Dia

Because I've actually seen him play when he was here. I take it he hasn't changed much, what could have changed in a year?

I called you clueless cause you said that you're certain that he'll never reach the level where this would be regarded as a mistake. How can you say that about a player of his level of ability?

What are you on about? He's playing at the level where we've bought many players including our current so called talisman.

100 million Euro mistake was Pogba and this has the makings of another one. You simply dont let go of players of his ability at that age you keep hold of him, send him on loan or you play him. You see how it turns out and then can make a more informed decision as the years go by.
The only thing Gomes and Bruno have in common is that they play(ed) in the same league. That’s a huge reach man. Bruno was their captain and by far the top player in that league for 3 or 4 seasons and we still took our sweet time doing any deal...

Last edited:

R'hllor

They were not great of course but those players are now playing at West Ham and Lazio, not United level but way higher then Angel. He was just not ready. Today he would have 0 chances with Bruno and Pogba ahead plus DVB in the waiting. I wanted him to stay and get a loan somewhere but as a fan base we went way over board with the complaining and it was also used as a stick to beat the manager with.
Where they play now have nothing to do with those minutes they played at the time, where they looked clueless, sometimes even like they never kicked a ball before and yet they kept getting minutes on the pitch, i have no doubt if Gomes got some of those minutes, he could look as clueless as those, easy.

RooneyLegend

The only thing Gomes and Bruno have in common is that they play(ed) in the same league. That’s a huge reach man. Bruno was their captain and by far the top player in that league for 3 or 4 seasons and we still took our sweet time doing any deal...
Which is my point, he's playing in the league where we've signed many players from, you're the one acting like he's playing in the streets or something.

Regardless, we've signed other players there that hadn't established themselves as much as Bruno had when we got him. What exactly is a huge reach here?

Champ

Wasne he being played as a CF? Thats why his performance dropped?
He has been shuffled around in terms of position, and definitely played almost as a striker.
But he was often a passenger in his natural position too, Boavista are just not very good on the ball, the games shined in tended to be against the weaker teams.
Was on the bench V Braga last night for example...

SecondFig

Interesting (if a little hyperbolic) article on him a few weeks ago on United In Focus;

Angel Gomes's choice after Manchester United exit looks smarter than ever

Personally, I'm not entirely convinced that he's done anything yet to show that he's going to really make it at the top level. He could make a decent career for himself in a mid-table top-flight side somewhere in Europe, but can't see him being a regular for an elite club

He made the right decision to leave. Hope he has a good career, but we won’t have any regret as he’s never going to be a top player.

best thing for all involved.

Adcuth

Be very interesting to see him get games in this Lille team next season. Not sure he'd be guaranteed a start like but he'd have a better chance of shining than in the Portuguese league

Champ

Be very interesting to see him get games in this Lille team next season. Not sure he'd be guaranteed a start like but he'd have a better chance of shining than in the Portuguese league
In my opinion this season was set up for him to shine, playing in a mediocre team, he should have stood out a lot more than he did.
He started off really well but then slid into mediocrity himself.

kundalini

Angel needed mins in men's football. He got 2507 mins in Liga NOS this season, scoring 6 goals (including 2 penalties) and 6 assists. I'd say that makes for a successful season.

My only real concern is that Boavista were just as likely to score when Angel wasn't on the pitch.

Far too early to predict how his career will develop or whether he made a wise choice to leave United.

For what it's worth, Transfermarkt values Angel Gomes as the joint 53rd most expensive player in Liga NOS, at £5.40m, based largely on his contribution and appearances this season. He began the season valued at £3.24m.

Last edited:

Adcuth

In my opinion this season was set up for him to shine, playing in a mediocre team, he should have stood out a lot more than he did.
He started off really well but then slid into mediocrity himself.
Can depend on the mentality of the player. Players like Bruno can shine in a bad team like he did at sporting. Gomes 100% doesn't have the drive that he has so I think he'd be better having talent around him to bring the best out of him. Gomes being our no10 would not improve us the way Bruno did.

jesperjaap

I think what we have to remember is he is a very young player that has moved to a new club in Lille and then been loaned out to a relatively poor team for a year in a different country and culture.

I havent seen him play at all the last 12 months or that much of him for us either. He is obviously talented though and he should have got more minutes while he was with us the way several players we performing in his positions.

He was right to move, all of this is a great experience for him, is too early to write him off or say he will make it though. There are hundreds of top players been on loan at his age not done so well that gained valuable experience which helped them grow into gret playes and of course the total opposite has happened too.

The next couple of seasons at Lille will go a long way to shaping his career and I wish him well

MU655

People are saying he hasn't shined, but I'm not really sure what you are expecting from such a poor team.

Their top scorer has two more goals than Gomes. He has directly contributed to 30% of their league goals. 6 goals and 6 assists.

They have won 8 games all season, and he scored or assisted in 5 of them.

He is second in assists and goals for them. He is the most creative in the team with 1.5 key passes per 90.

He has solidified himself as a first teamer, playing 85% of all league minutes.

Overall, I think he has done well. That Boavista team is just very low quality.

Idxomer

He could have a career similar to Januzaj which isn't bad at all.

Bogga

Goals and assist aside... Has he matured/developed? Can he get minutes at Lille next season? I had totally forgotten about him until I read his name in the Shoretire thread when people made comparisons