Angel Gomes Watch

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I love Ole and think he's a good manager doing good work for us but his (mis)handling of this lad is absolutely embarrassing.
It was his choice after all. He was good in the U23s but wasn’t quite up to 1st team and rejected staying. He could have gone on loan like Chong.
His career, his choice
Personally, I never saw the hype

Raven

It was his choice after all. He was good in the U23s but wasn’t quite up to 1st team and rejected staying. He could have gone on loan like Chong.
His career, his choice
He showed decent quality in his limited appearances last season and Ole had the opportunity to provide him with more game time but didn't. When you play as little as he did behind players like Lingard and Pereira it's not hard to see why he wasn't happy with his game time and why he didn't see a way into the first team. He's gone to club where he's likely to get good game time next season in France and it will likely leave Ole looking a bit silly in a few season time when we either buy him back or he moves to another top club.

Inigo Montoya

He showed decent quality in his limited appearances last season and Ole had the opportunity to provide him with more game time but didn't. When you play as little as he did behind players like Lingard and Pereira it's not hard to see why he wasn't happy with his game time and why he didn't see a way into the first team. He's gone to club where he's likely to get good game time next season in France and it will likely leave Ole looking a bit silly in a few season time when we either buy him back or he moves to another top club.
It will likely? That’s the thing... who knows. He could just end up a decent player in a foreign league

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
His career, his choice
His request to go on loan was blocked twice because the managers said he'll be given a chance with the first team.

Can understand why he's disappointed with how the club has handled his development since he's seeing all his england under 21s teammates all getting their chances while he's still stuck with cameos in the first team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Any other manager would be getting absolutely slated for not giving Gomes a chance. Solskjaer has got away with one here.

There was absolutely no reason not to give him more chances in the first half of last season. Could he have really been any worse than Lingard and Pereira? They only scored a couple of goals between them.

We were in a dire situation and Solskjaer didn't even bother giving him a chance. Solskjaer gets a lot of praise for playing youth, but how many of them haven't been forced? None.

Shaw injury led to Williams because we had no replacement.

James injury led to Greenwood debut because we had no replacement.

Mctominay was already in the team.

Solskjaer hasn't been brave with the youth at all. If he was then he would have tried Gomes in place of Lingard and Pereira. It wasn't like he was competing against Fernandes back then.
Spot on.

Ole has been getting off light with how he's handled the youth because his record is much closer to Jose but people believe in Ole because he talks a good game and fans lap it up despite him doing the exact opposite of what he's saying.

Any other manager would be getting absolutely slated for not giving Gomes a chance. Solskjaer has got away with one here.

There was absolutely no reason not to give him more chances in the first half of last season. Could he have really been any worse than Lingard and Pereira? They only scored a couple of goals between them.

We were in a dire situation and Solskjaer didn't even bother giving him a chance. Solskjaer gets a lot of praise for playing youth, but how many of them haven't been forced? None.

Shaw injury led to Williams because we had no replacement.

James injury led to Greenwood debut because we had no replacement.

Mctominay was already in the team.

Solskjaer hasn't been brave with the youth at all. If he was then he would have tried Gomes in place of Lingard and Pereira. It wasn't like he was competing against Fernandes back then.

Factually incorrect.

When Greenwood made his debut, we hadn’t even signed James. He made 4 appearances in 18/19.

LVGSdive

Except more than one of our coaches said is was due to his physicality/height/stature and not his talent which is harking back to English football minds of the early 90s
Look at Lamptey at Brighton. He's the smallest right back in the league. He is listed at 5 foot 4. He has been one of the best players in the Premier league this season (although after just 2 games).

Classical Mechanic

Look at Lamptey at Brighton. He's the smallest right back in the league. He is listed at 5 foot 4. He has been one of the best players in the Premier league this season (although after just 2 games).
I think these arguments miss the point. Whilst Lamptey is small in height he is at the top level in terms of speed and the top level of stamina. Gomes lacks in every physical attribute. His acceleration is decent but apart from that...

Untd55

Factually incorrect.

When Greenwood made his debut, we hadn’t even signed James. He made 4 appearances in 18/19.
Alright, I forgot about those. He got his full-time debut when we couldn't finish top four.

Either way, he didn't play last season until James got injured.

Raven

It will likely? That’s the thing... who knows. He could just end up a decent player in a foreign league
He could just end up as a decent player in a foreign league but I don't think he will. He's supremely talented.

Alright, I forgot about those. He got his full-time debut when we couldn't finish top four.

Are you seriously saying that Greenwood’s introduction was luck because James was injured?

I understand some criticism against the manager, I’m not saying I agree, but understand.

However, how anyone can, in any way use Greenwood And the way he’s been introduced to the team as a stick to beat the manager with is beyond me. His management of him has been exceptional.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

James wasn't injured at all whole season. He was in squad for every PL game except 1.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lamptey is a defensive liability, his height is definitely hindering him and people have been targeting him specifically ever since he went to Brighton. Not sure that is a good example. I hope he'll learn how to deal with that disadvantage as he gains experience though, he's a lovely player to watch.

And back to Angel, very pleased to see him make a good start to his time in Portugal and hope he goes on to make a name for himself over there.

Nickosaur

Lamptey is a defensive liability, his height is definitely hindering him and people have been targeting him specifically ever since he went to Brighton. Not sure that is a good example. I hope he'll learn how to deal with that disadvantage as he gains experience though, he's a lovely player to watch.

And back to Angel, very pleased to see him make a good start to his time in Portugal and hope he goes on to make a name for himself over there.
I follow Brighton and this is rubbish.

Inigo Montoya

He could just end up as a decent player in a foreign league but I don't think he will. He's supremely talented.
Many supremely talented players litter lower leagues and some never fulfil their talent.
None of us can guarantee it. As I said it’s up to the player. I’ll be happy for him to make it but I’m not going to rue him leaving here. It was what it was

Untd55

James wasn't injured at all whole season. He was in squad for every PL game except 1.
He was for the Astana game where Greenwood came in. Not in the squad and there are reports on google about his injury.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was for the Astana game where Greenwood came in. Not in the squad and there are reports on google about his injury.
Greenwood was already coming on as a sub in league games before Astana game. James played before and after Astana game. He wasn't injured, we played youngsters in Europa league.

James injury has nothing to do with Greenwood getting games. His entry was always through league cup and Europa league games.

Untd55

Are you seriously saying that Greenwood’s introduction was luck because James was injured?

I understand some criticism against the manager, I’m not saying I agree, but understand.

However, how anyone can, in any way use Greenwood And the way he’s been introduced to the team as a stick to beat the manager with is beyond me. His management of him has been exceptional.
I'm saying he didn't really take a chance with him. Daniel James was injured before his first game of 2019/20 against Astana. It took until game 15 in the PL to get Greenwood any decent time, and that was with only Daniel James ahead of him.

Some managers e.g. Guardiola have some excuse for not playing youth because their first-team is just too good. Foden was never getting ahead of David Silva at Man City, but Greenwood ahead of James is more than plausible from what we have seen of James.

He didn't take that chance with any area that had depth, no matter how poor it was. It was always Lingard or Pereira. Gomes didn't even get a chance, which was a massive shame. People would have prefered to seem Gomes tried and failed than keep on persisting with the same old Lingard and Pereira, which clearly wasn't working.

Raven

Many supremely talented players litter lower leagues and some never fulfil their talent.
None of us can guarantee it. As I said it’s up to the player. I’ll be happy for him to make it but I’m not going to rue him leaving here. It was what it was
By all accounts, Gomes has an excellent attitude and has left us in search of first team football. He hasn't been pushed out of the club, in fact the negotiations went down to almost the last day to try and keep him. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make it at a top club in the future.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As I said, he's in a solid project, with a forward thinking manager, that made some very decent invesment in the market, bringing some experienced players like Rami, Javi Garcia and hired a lot exciting youngsters with lots of potential. LEt's see how will it work, beucase they really have a lot of young talent.

Inigo Montoya

By all accounts, Gomes has an excellent attitude and has left us in search of first team football. He hasn't been pushed out of the club, in fact the negotiations went down to almost the last day to try and keep him. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make it at a top club in the future.
I’d love to see it happen. From what little I’ve seen about him in interviews he comes across as a nice lad from a nice family

I'm saying he didn't really take a chance with him. Daniel James was injured before his first game of 2019/20 against Astana. It took until game 15 in the PL to get Greenwood any decent time, and that was with only Daniel James ahead of him.

Some managers e.g. Guardiola have some excuse for not playing youth because their first-team is just too good. Foden was never getting ahead of David Silva at Man City, but Greenwood ahead of James is more than plausible from what we have seen of James.

He didn't take that chance with any area that had depth, no matter how poor it was. It was always Lingard or Pereira. Gomes didn't even get a chance, which was a massive shame. People would have prefered to seem Gomes tried and failed than keep on persisting with the same old Lingard and Pereira, which clearly wasn't working.
Complete rubbish and you know it. Especially as I called you out for Greenwood actually making 4 appearances in the previous season.

Indeed OGS even name checked Greenwood when we sold Lukaku.

No issue with you saying he didn’t give Gomes a chance, he didn’t. Whether that’s on the manager or player, we won’t know.

But he very clearly had a plan for Greenwood and executed is perfectly.

You are very clearly wrong.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will shed tears when he's lining up for another top club. I think and have always thought he will be a hell of a player.

lumeyes

You should check what the youth insiders at Utd say about Gomes' attitude, or rather, his dad's attitude towards Utd before you comment on his attitude. Let's just say it paints a different picture.
From what is known and verifiable, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his attitude. We saw him rejoice with his mates - Chong and Greenwood - I think after the game vs PSG - even when he was on the bench and didn't feature. In one of the few games where he managed to get on the bench and never played and in which everyone was expecting him to play, Greenwood was introduced and score a goal. He was seen genuinely rejoicing and congratulating his mate. This was after he has been harshly exlcuded from even 10-15 mins cameo because of Lingard and Periera or shoved to the wings in the rare occasions he played. None of the coaches who have directly been in charge of him since he was a kid has said anything about his attitude. We shouldn't be listening to rumours/slander, one of which was he didn't play in a game he was expected to feautre in because he came late for training.

Such as what?

The only time that’s ever been said was by one person who claimed it happened at a match where we lost and Angel played terribly when in reality we won and Angel scored a great goal in that match. That whole video of his moaning stunk of making up shit to belittle Angel because he didn’t like him leaving.

There is absolutely nothing to support Angel having any attitude issues, backed up by Nicky Butt constantly praising his work ethic up to the day he left.

I’ll believe Butt and the actual staff over someone who can’t even get the match result right after looking at their phone.
Luckily we live in the internet age, otherwise it would be a lone story. Gomes did well by leaving, he needs to play at this stage in his career, not stay in a place where he couldn't make the bench because of some average players.

I can imagine people waiting for him to struggle against Porto so they would tell say, "we said it, he isn't good enough".

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Anonymous yesterday against Porto,

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Its Porto so its understandable.

The kid showed lots of talent on his debut and I will be watching him closely this season.

LVGSdive

I watched the first half and he looked pretty good when he got the ball. The game was boring without many chances and I'd already watched 2 games so I turned it off. I was surprised when I saw it ended 5-0.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Its Porto so its understandable.

The kid showed lots of talent on his debut and I will be watching him closely this season.
Yeah, I know Porto are a level up, but surely that's the level Gomes needs to be if he thought he could have been first team at United!

Ace of Spades

He is a talented player, but just that. He is developing and needs time on the pitch, which he will get now.

Lets not try to rewrite history, he was great for the u23s like a few other players, but also not really performing when given the chance to play for first team. They were a few players in that bracket where they had outgrown the reserves, but not yet ready to play for us yet.

He left as he felt that was a good decision for him, so good luck to him. Hope he can fulfill his potential.

@SportingCP96 hope you keep this thread updated, will be looking for your updates on how he develops.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lets not try to rewrite history, he was great for the u23s like a few other players, but also not really performing when given the chance to play for first team.
The problem was that most of his chances in the first team were on the left wing. Despite it being a much weaker position for us he only ever got two games as a #10 and he did well in both of them (arguably our best player in one).

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is a talented player, but just that. He is developing and needs time on the pitch, which he will get now.

Lets not try to rewrite history, he was great for the u23s like a few other players, but also not really performing when given the chance to play for first team. They were a few players in that bracket where they had outgrown the reserves, but not yet ready to play for us yet.

He left as he felt that was a good decision for him, so good luck to him. Hope he can fulfill his potential.

@SportingCP96 hope you keep this thread updated, will be looking for your updates on how he develops.
I will try my best for sure to keep everyone updated.

2 games so far and he has shown he has some talent but it is still early days.

lumeyes

Yeah, I know Porto are a level up, but surely that's the level Gomes needs to be if he thought he could have been first team at United!

I watched the first half and a bit of the second. He can only perform at the level the rest of the team allows him. What I saw in the first half was two or three forward players ignoring him when he moved into position to receive and exchange passes. Two players were particularly infuriating, trying to do everything on their own against a better Porto side. The commentator got made with Paulinho (the main culprit) at a point. One or two defenders preferred to lob the ball to the same forward players, so the whole game became boring. I think some of them were afraid of doing Gome's type of play against Porto, and it appeared they were succeeding until Porto scored the first goal, and their attempt to play football them amounted to nothing. Gomes was at fault for one goal though, a poor control - I think he wanted to force thing kind of - forced him to commit a foul and Porto scored from the resultant free kick.

Boavista should have tried to play football, at least to an extent, and not rely solely on hit and run. They probably would have lost but not by that margin

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Boavista has a lot of youngsters with talent, it will take time for them to settle.