Angel Gomes Watch

Mainoldo

Don't forget Lille also don't think he's good enough for them yet, hence the loan.
Lille thought he lacked minutes because of our miss use and decided it was best for him to have a season loan of first team football because h was ready for the pace of their level. I don’t see what’s wrong with that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a shame he was not willing to go on loan last season. A loan like this last year was what was needed. Always rated him more than Chong.
He was willing and had a loan lined up. Ole vetoed it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's a shame he was not willing to go on loan last season. A loan like this last year was what was needed. Always rated him more than Chong.
And yet Chong had a good cameo in Werder Bremen's win yesterday. Won the penalty and was a handful down the left

Glorio

Don't forget Lille also don't think he's good enough for them yet, hence the loan.
Yep .... Gomez was doing well at the lower levels don't forget, so I'm sure most on here knew he could shine at some level somewhere.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
And yet Chong had a good cameo in Werder Bremen's win yesterday. Won the penalty and was a handful down the left
Chong's a fine player in his own right but he's not as good as Gomes. Gomes is one of the most technically gifted players to come out of our academy, in my view there's no way he doesn't make it to a CL club one day.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chong's a fine player in his own right but he's not as good as Gomes. Gomes is one of the most technically gifted players to come out of our academy, in my view there's no way he doesn't make it to a CL club one day.
There’s many a slip though.

Hope he does well

Foxbatt

Why did we didn't give him playing time while giving time to players like Lingard and Mata?

jackal&hyde

Mad to think how little chances he got at the expense of Lingard and Andreas. I'll never fully understand what Ole was thinking.
Lingard would play at a premier league club and Pereira is playing in serie A at Lazio. Gomes was deemed not ready for league 1 and plays at a mid level club in Portugal. He was and is not ready yet for this level. Might get there though as the talent is obvious.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Maybe he shouldn't have been ahead of Lingard and Pereira but there were games with very little risks of playing him. Chong had more game time than he did

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bit quiet in here last couple of weeks. Have spoken to a Portuguese friend who had said he's been poor the last couple of games, anyone shed any light on if that's true?
Looking at his stats it seems he's been fairly quiet, but that certainly doesn't tell the whole story.
Also I notice Boavista are really struggling now.

Red_toad

Bit quiet in here last couple of weeks. Have spoken to a Portuguese friend who had said he's been poor the last couple of games, anyone shed any light on if that's true?
Looking at his stats it seems he's been fairly quiet, but that certainly doesn't tell the whole story.
Also I notice Boavista are really struggling now.
People only take interest when he does well, so they can claim he’s a star and the club made a massive mistake blah blah blah. Shame they can’t just enjoy his performances when he does well and just get over what happened in the past. He’s obviously going to be inconsistent and his good performances have gained him a bit more attention from defenders. He left to gain experience and that’s exactly what he’s getting. I wish him well and hope he becomes a top class player.

Champ

Looking at his stats for tonight’s game and he was incredibly anonymous for 80 minutes.

17 passes
0 key passes
1 shot
0 dribbles
He was poor, made a run in the 12th minute that ended with him accidentally backheeling the ball due to poor control which summed his performance up.
To me it seems this loan move is pointless, playing for a team that offers nothing going forward, he will learn nothing other than getting game time. Now some would say that's beneficial, and to a degree it is, but the benefits of playing for a poor team who offer nothing going forward for an attacker are little.

Champ

Average performance again as Boavista continue to struggle.
Had a couple of shots but other than that drifted in and out of the game as Braga ran riot.
The clamour over his early performances has definitely died down.

EngimaMK

He was poor, made a run in the 12th minute that ended with him accidentally backheeling the ball due to poor control which summed his performance up.
To me it seems this loan move is pointless, playing for a team that offers nothing going forward, he will learn nothing other than getting game time. Now some would say that's beneficial, and to a degree it is, but the benefits of playing for a poor team who offer nothing going forward for an attacker are little.
Hate to break it to ya, but he ain't coming back...

EngimaMK

He is on loan ;)
Oh, I see... "loan" move eh? Gotcha. A bit like Pogba's loan to Juve?

Well, I hope we learnt from last time and perhaps think a bit longer and harder before recalling him this time...

Kyonn

Well, I hope we learnt from last time and perhaps think a bit longer and harder before recalling him this time...
No white text? Are you serious?

Kajus

No, a bit like a proper official loan.

lsd

The Oracle

He is on loan to Boavista from Lille

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

he’s on loan to Boavista from Lille :lol:

EngimaMK

He is on loan to Boavista from Lille
Oh, ha ha... Everything going over my head on this thread. I should try my hand at limbo dancing!

To be honest, I'd forgotten about the lad completely until I saw the thread bump. Doesn't look like we have too much to regret about letting him go this far...

flappyjay

Ole didn't want him to go out on loan
You don't loan out a player who has a year left on his contract, unless he is surplus to requirements and hope the loan will help the player find suitors.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You don't loan out a player who has a year left on his contract, unless he is surplus to requirements and hope the loan will help the player find suitors.
The club should have fixed his contract situation earlier in the first place and offered him a loan if he extends his contract.

It's not the first time we denied him a loan.

Mainoldo

We refused to loan him even with a renewal. The Boavista loan is no accident. Lille and the player both agreed he wasn’t ready for that level of first team action week in week out. Which United also knew but did nothing about.

The Impossible Team

Hate to break it to ya, but he ain't coming back...
Actually the idea of Angel returning would become less highly unlikely, should we end our long fabled hunt for a DoF and hire Luis Campos.

Wouldn't he have been behind the signing of Angel to Lille and subsequent loaning to Boavista?!
Apparently he knows a good footballer when he sees one. Found and polished a few nuggets over the last few years.

Btw, personally i think Angel is doing fine.
He's getting plenty minutes on the pitch (which is plenty more than he'd have got here) while learning to adapt to a more physical level of football.
Which was the main concern of many in the Caf who were unsure whether he was ready for first team games.
Don't think anyone was questioning his technical ability.

I still like others can't understand why Ole kept picking Lingard/Pereiera/Mata over him when they were contributing nowt.

Oh well, I hope Campos leaving Lille is not detrimental to Angel's career.

Happy 2021 all!

WTFAMU!!

Champ

Anyone see the game yesterday Vs Maritimo?
Would appear to me that he offers very little at the moment for Boavista, they are not creating chances (he had one shot which he should have done a bit better with) and that was it.
I get that what he needs is game time right now , but he would struggle to look good in the Championship at his current level.
I feel his move in the short term isn't paying off at all, he doesn't press, his movement is lackluster at best, and in a team sinking without a trace on the league.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is his surrounding players good and performing without him performing well or is it that everyone is performing crap?

If it is I will probably wait until I see him in France and next to some better players before I decide whether if he is good or not.

TheReligion

Abusive
His figures are good so not sure why this reads doom and gloom. At a glance it looks like he's doing well to me.

youmeletsfly

Is his surrounding players good and performing without him performing well or is it that everyone is performing crap?

If it is I will probably wait until I see him in France and next to some better players before I decide whether if he is good or not.
If a good player doesn't stand out at all in a bad team then he ain't a good player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Boavista squad is very young and unexperienced and unfortunatelly for them the experienced players they bought are way in a clear physical declinem with Adil Rami being injured and Javi Garcia being very poor despite being "oly" 33 y.o. which is not much for today's players age pattern.

They have changed manager and have now appointed Jesualdo Ferreira who is actually very good dealing with youth players, but he's a bit of old school manager tactically, which can be a good thing for relegation battlers.

They are the proof that FM saves where you buy or loan youngsters with tons of theoretical potential do not work in real life, because they have players that are very good at u19 - u21 level, but they still have a lot to learn.

Bebestation

If a good player doesn't stand out at all in a bad team then he ain't a good player.
That maybe true and I am willing to right Gomes off buts it's not like he didnt shine at the start, I'm just not sure how he is supposed to say lead this team all the way through maybe?

Plenty players have taken time and have not shined at different times - as far as I've heard Kane, Bruno and Grealish didnt look like the most exceptional or consistent at one point in their career.

Bebestation

Boavista squad is very young and unexperienced and unfortunatelly for them the experienced players they bought are way in a clear physical declinem with Adil Rami being injured and Javi Garcia being very poor despite being "oly" 33 y.o. which is not much for today's players age pattern.

They have changed manager and have now appointed Jesualdo Ferreira who is actually very good dealing with youth players, but he's a bit of old school manager tactically, which can be a good thing for relegation battlers.

They are the proof that FM saves where you buy or loan youngsters with tons of theoretical potential do not work in real life, because they have players that are very good at u19 - u21 level, but they still have a lot to learn.
Okay thanks, it explains a lot.

I hope Gomes battling out for Relegation puts some fire in his stomach that some people feels he may lack.

Champ

His figures are good so not sure why this reads doom and gloom. At a glance it looks like he's doing well to me.
I don't agree.
His stats are padded by the first three or four games where he looked decent, however the eight or so games since then he has looked lost, or at least he has in the games I've seen, and when I say lost I mean proper rabbit in headlights lost.