Angel Gomes Watch

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Okay thanks, it explains a lot.

I hope Gomes battling out for Relegation puts some fire in his stomach that some people feels he may lack.
His distinct lack of closing people down or winning the ball back, or getting involved in the gritty side of the game suggests that this is still not a part of his game.
It may come later however.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't agree.
His stats are padded by the first three or four games where he looked decent, however the eight or so games since then he has looked lost, or at least he has in the games I've seen, and when I say lost I mean proper rabbit in headlights lost.
10 games, 3 goals, 5 assists. Also picked up an injury in-between. Doesn't look bad to me that.

He's been selected in every game he's been fit for too.

Champ

10 games, 3 goals, 5 assists. Also picked up an injury in-between. Doesn't look bad to me that.

He's been selected in every game he's been fit for too.
One hat trick. No assists in his last 6 games and only one goal,
As I said, his first four games or so we're decent, since then it's been rather average if not slightly worse than average.
It's almost coincided with him changing position slightly to a more false nine role.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
One hat trick. No assists in his last 6 games and only one goal,
As I said, his first four games or so we're decent, since then it's been rather average if not slightly worse than average.
It's almost coincided with him changing position slightly to a more false nine role.
It has to do with the moment Boavista is in the table.

They already changed the coach, the other one was younger and tried to play more progressive football, this one is more conservative and using him as a false nine don't know if it's a good option.

Anyway they signed a agreement with the now former Lille owner, and a lot of this players are there because they aren't yet good enough for them, so far it's not working, there are some stupid investors or owners who think you can arrogantly buy clubs and build squads like if you are playing Football Manager.

Honestly don't think it's Angel fault, another one from England who was good last season is Marcus Edwards, this season he is struggling at Guimaraes probably because he had the expectation to leave to a better club or better League.

The club had some problems regarding the transfer market, this to say sometimes it's more difficult to evaluate a player on peripheral leagues, because sometimes the problems they face there are something they aren't used in their countries of origin.

Wouldn't be surprised if Angel has the chance to play at Lille and him having the chance to shine there. Wouldn't mind having him at Sporting though, but yes for now he wouldn't play much at United. But the talent is there.

Champ

It has to do with the moment Boavista is in the table.

They already changed the coach, the other one was younger and tried to play more progressive football, this one is more conservative and using him as a false nine don't know if it's a good option.

Anyway they signed a agreement with the now former Lille owner, and a lot of this players are there because they aren't yet good enough for them, so far it's not working, there are some stupid investors or owners who think you can arrogantly buy clubs and build squads like if you are playing Football Manager.

Honestly don't think it's Angel fault, another one from England who was good last season is Marcus Edwards, this season he is struggling at Guimaraes probably because he had the expectation to leave to a better club or better League.

The club had some problems regarding the transfer market, this to say sometimes it's more difficult to evaluate a player on peripheral leagues, because sometimes the problems they face there are something they aren't used in their countries of origin.

Wouldn't be surprised if Angel has the chance to play at Lille and him having the chance to shine there. Wouldn't mind having him at Sporting though, but yes for now he wouldn't play much at United. But the talent is there.
Great post.
I agree with much if what you've said.

Gomes is not a CF or false nine, he cannot play that role as he doesn't seem to have the desire to want to track the ball, he is far more suited to a role off the wing or as a number 10 where he can get involved without forcing the issue.

I don't see enough in him currently to warrant the praise he gets or has been getting.
He's 20 years old, he's is playing week in week out now, yet he doesn't appear to be getting better, yes it's early days for him but I feel like the loan to Boavista was a wrong choice and isn't helping his development at all.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
His distinct lack of closing people down or winning the ball back, or getting involved in the gritty side of the game suggests that this is still not a part of his game.
It may come later however.
Hard to be part of the gritty side when you're 55kgs and 5'3''.

Champ

Boavista rock bottom now after another poor result, with Gomes on the periphery on the game didnt see the game myself but going by my Portuguese colleague.

Champ

Yet another poor result and performance from Boavista and Gomes.
Barely involved, with 26 passes in 90 minutes.
Absolute passenger and pointless exercise playing as a striker, so easy to mark out of the game.
One assist and zero goals in the last 8 games now.

Champ

Scored at last. Played less centrally and looked a bit more involved.

In Rainbows

Scored at last. Played less centrally and looked a bit more involved.
He should play as a 6 or 8. He was really good in the pivot role for United's u19 sides and he's always been good at retaining possession. Less worry of him not getting involved in that role, and his best qualities (touch, progressive passes, and 1 touch passing) get highlighted more.

Great Freekick to give Boavista the 3 pts.

Classical Mechanic

Massive goal for them as it took them out of the relegation zone. Going off stats alone he’s their most important attacking player. Joint top scorer with 4 and most assists with 3. Those low figures show how poor his side are.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Massive goal for them as it took them out of the relegation zone. Going off stats alone he’s their most important attacking player. Joint top scorer with 4 and most assists with 3. Those low figures show how poor his side are.

Great goal

Champ

As a team they are one of the worst I've seen!!
Most of Gomes assists and goals came in his first 8 games, since then he's been on a barren run and looked lost as he kept being played centrally almost as a false 9!

Hammondo

Looks like a massive dive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Didn’t he get a hat-trick? So he’s only scored in two games. How many has he played?

Classical Mechanic

As a team they are one of the worst I've seen!!
Most of Gomes assists and goals came in his first 8 games, since then he's been on a barren run and looked lost as he kept being played centrally almost as a false 9!
Didn’t he get a hat-trick? So he’s only scored in two games. How many has he played?
You can look at his form here, whoscored is pretty good for attacking players

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/338497/Fixtures/Angel-Gomes

It looks like his form has improved the past few games. His goals and assists are spread out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m guessing he’s having one of those seasons where he’s one of the few bright sparks in a very poor team. Only 3 points separates 14th (where Boavista are) and last place, so it seems like a right rat race down there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

arthurka

Some here thought he was the next Messi. He might get to Charlie Adam level by the looks of it.

Champ

You can look at his form here, whoscored is pretty good for attacking players

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/338497/Fixtures/Angel-Gomes

It looks like his form has improved the past few games. His goals and assists are spread out.
Undoubtedly he's played better the last few games, but still not great. Helps when he's played less Centrally,
He's getting games but still yet to see anything that suggests he was anywhere near ready for United's first team.

Classical Mechanic

Undoubtedly he's played better the last few games, but still not great. Helps when he's played less Centrally,
He's getting games but still yet to see anything that suggests he was anywhere near ready for United's first team.
Personally I don’t think he’ll ever be good enough for United’s first team. I’d still like to see him have a good career though.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Personally I don’t think he’ll ever be good enough for United’s first team. I’d still like to see him have a good career though.
He is a young lad and still learning, it isn't all about goal and assist stats.

Greenwood has scored 4 goals and got 5 assists in 30 games this season. In his last 15 games he has scored 1 goal and got 2 assists, but is still a top talent, so is Gomez. Gomez is not Greenwood level but has still got potential to be a good player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Greenwood has scored 4 goals and got 5 assists in 30 games this season. In his last 15 games he has scored 1 goal and got 2 assists, but is still a top talent, so is Gomez. Gomez is not Greenwood level but has still got potential to be a good player.
How many starts in Greenwood’s “30 games this season”? If we’re going to compare at least do it fairly. It’s also worth bearing in mind that Gomes is a year older than Mason, who racked up 10 goals and 5 assists last season, against PL opposition.

I do agree they’re young footballers so their careers are all ahead of them. Equally, it’s so obvious that Greenwood is a bigger talent that there’s not much point mentioning him in this thread.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
How many starts in Greenwood’s “30 games this season”? If we’re going to compare at least do it fairly. It’s also worth bearing in mind that Gomes is a year older than Mason, who racked up 10 goals and 5 assists last season, against PL opposition.

I do agree they’re young footballers so their careers are all ahead of them. Equally, it’s so obvious that Greenwood is a bigger talent that there’s not much point mentioning him in this thread.
I mentioned him because it is unfair to just judge players on goals and assists when people have barely watched Gomez play this season.

Champ

Greenwood is a year younger than Gomes and has shown way more aptitude when given his opportunity. Greenwood is currently on a different level to Gomes entirely.

Still time for Gomes but for me this loan move is a waste of a year, yeah he has games under his belt but playing for a team as awful as Boavista cannot be great for an attacking player.

Champ

I'm inclined to agree with you,
But time is a valuable asset and Gomes has plenty of that.
I'm just curious as to how it works out for him as I'd like to think United won't rue trying to keep him.

Classical Mechanic

I'm inclined to agree with you,
But time is a valuable asset and Gomes has plenty of that.
I'm just curious as to how it works out for him as I'd like to think United won't rue trying to keep him.
I get a lot of stick every time I say this but I think he lacks too much physically for the Premier League. It’s not his height per se but the whole package. I think his stamina is lacking at the top level, he gets overrun very easily. You see him lost in games too often. I think he’ll have a good career in a lower level and less physical league like Portugal or Holland.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He played well yesterday. Very difficult for him personally, because Boavista is a mess, they are involved with the former investors of Lille if I am not wrong and the squad was built like if they were playing FM.

I personally think he would be great for Sporting, and maybe he already is good enough to be part of Lille next season, don't try to take any conclusions from his stats because only now they are showing signs of improvement.

As a curiosity, Boavista is the youth club from where Fernandes came before he left to Italy, and their former President was arrested in Brasil with the suspicion of trafficking 500 kg of cocaine. Portuguese Football at his best. :devil:

Last edited:

Champ

Actually scored a goal today... Before getting sent off!!

arthurka

I remember when we were acting like we lost Maradona getur when he left for free. Good to see he is doing ok.