Angel Gomes Watch

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hell of a goal of he meant it! Hell of a goal if he didn't mind...

prateik

The Portuguese league is rubbish though.. especially outside the top 4-5 clubs.. the drop in quality is staggering.

I wonder if it can even compete with the Championship..

edit: that said, great goal

NotQuiteManc

Great tenacity and awareness. Lucky? Maybe but still awesome goal nonetheless.

starman

Liverpool would have got 20m for him, buy back clause and a sell on fee..

We let him go for free.....

izec

it was 100% meant. Look where the GK was, and then look at the power behind the shot after he regained the ball. That was no pass from a technician like him.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He impressed me very much against us last week (Porto). Very very talented little player.

izec

The Portuguese league is rubbish though.. especially outside the top 4-5 clubs.. the drop in quality is staggering.

The league doesn't really matter for him right now, more game time and getting used to senior football, as well as exposure. Next season he will be in France, maybe playing CL football and if he kicks on, what i expect, good to top clubs will be after him across Europe and England.

That was the point in going to Portugal, to get up to speed in a decent league and preparing him for Ligue 1. Having the best chances to succeed basically.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

I watch both and it's certainly better than the Championship.

Vitoria Guimaraes finished 7th last season and they gave Arsenal two difficult matches in the Europa for example.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Yeh it is rubbish, but its where our Bruno coming from too.

Ace of Spades

The league difficulty is irrelevant for him, what matters is game time on the pitch. Looks to be hitting the ground running, good to see.

marktan

Like Iniesta, Xavi and Lampard all rolled into one..

In all seriousness though his control and quick passing are great, what he really lacks is more game understanding which he'll get over the next couple of years. It's a shame that he's now 20 and only getting his first minutes, some loans might have helped him, but that's the price you pay to be developed at a top team's academy and also his frame doesn't help him.

He is one that could go either way, he doesn't have physicality or pace, but he should try mould his game on someone like Kroos, who has a great first touch and pass.

In Rainbows

I think he can develop into a similar player to Thiago Alcantara.
He has the technical ability and vision to do it. It's up to his mental ability if he can show the same aptitude to be calm, cool under pressure to retain possession at the same rate. Gomes had that at youth level, but first team level is another story. He has the first touch, the ability to play a pass between the lines, and is really good at recycling possession. However, you can still see him panic in very small situations where he boxes himself into situations where he needs a bit of skill to get himself out of trouble. The best like Iniesta were able to retain possession by utilizing croqueta as cool as ice.

That's one area Gomes can still improve on.

Also, it will take his coach and himself to buy into the idea that he play a little deeper. He's operating as a no.10 right now for Boavista, and played as a 10 at every part of his youth career apart from his uefa youth league u19 appearances under Nicky Butt. He was great there btw. To clarify, that's as a starter, I know he played deeper mid game as he and Buffonge would swap positions when United's u18s needed a change to help the team out.

Remember the geese

He has the technical ability and vision to do it. It's up to his mental ability if he can show the same aptitude to be calm, cool under pressure to retain possession at the same rate. Gomes had that at youth level, but first team level is another story. He has the first touch, the ability to play a pass between the lines, and is really good at recycling possession. However, you can still see him panic in very small situations where he boxes himself into situations where he needs a bit of skill to get himself out of trouble. The best like Iniesta were able to retain possession by utilizing croqueta as cool as ice.

That's one area Gomes can still improve on.

Also, it will take his coach and himself to buy into the idea that he play a little deeper. He's operating as a no.10 right now for Boavista, and played as a 10 at every part of his youth career apart from his uefa youth league u19 appearances under Nicky Butt. He was great there btw. To clarify, that's as a starter, I know he played deeper mid game as he and Buffonge would swap positions when United's u18s needed a change to help the team out.
Yeah I remember being really impressed with his performances in a deeper role. A game against Juventus in the UEFA Youth League stands out in particular. As for his struggles in tight situations, this is a mental thing I think. The guy has a low centre of gravity, excellent technique, flair and a great first touch. He can turn on a sixpence. Just needs to get that confidence and experience of putting it together at first team level.

I don't think he's quite productive enough as a number ten, in much the same way players like Thiago and Modric weren't either. Maybe he'll surprise me though.

Judas

Open to offers
Bit gutting to see, wish him the best, but it's not easy to see a player you watched for so long at the club potentially fulfilling his potential elsewhere.

Ashish Negi

This season both Garner, Levitt are sent on loan after their first team debut, Angel Gomes made his debut in 2017 and still left on fringes by club and Jose. He should have left on loan in 2018-19 season.

Hopefully he kicks on and one day come back at the club as a player he always meant to be.

Hoof the ball

When you deny a kid a loan on two occasions, retain them in the squad and then refuse to give them minutes, that's on you. End of. If he had an attitude problem or was ill-equipped for PL games he should have been loaned out. The mismanagement on the part of Angel was horrendous.

Bwuk

When you deny a kid a loan on two occasions, retain them in the squad and then refuse to give them minutes, that's on you. End of. If he had an attitude problem or was ill-equipped for PL games he should have been loaned out. The mismanagement on the part of Angel was horrendous.
Angels agent seemed to think he’s a lot better than he is.

cyberman

He should be sold if this were true.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is a local lad and a fan. Hope he comes back in future as a great player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As well as his goal, he created 4 chances, which was the most by anyone on the pitch.

Overall, in his first 3 games, he's created 8 chances, which is more than anyone else in the league. Though, to be fair, the players just behind him have only played 2 games, but it's still a great start to his professional career.

NecssryEvil

The first loan was refused because they wanted to keep him around the team which I don't think was a bad idea as he was getting games in the U23s and hanging around the first team. They also were trying to resign him at that point but he wouldn't commit. The second transfer was refused because he wouldn't sign and I don't see the problem with the team's stance there. I hope he turns out to be a great player and I wish it could have been at United. But, at the end, I think he saw a blockade to the first team at United and chose to go another route. Fair play to him but I don't think the management team did much wrong, can't hold a gun to the kid's head and say sign the fecking contract. Also, game time minutes are earned in practice, the fact that he wasn't getting minutes under a management team that has shown it will give them out to other young players has to say something.

LVGSdive

Also, game time minutes are earned in practice, the fact that he wasn't getting minutes under a management team that has shown it will give them out to other young players has to say something.
He was brilliant in pre season before last season. Then the season started and Ole froze him out for player's putting in lesser performances.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The first loan was refused because they wanted to keep him around the team which I don't think was a bad idea as he was getting games in the U23s and hanging around the first team. They also were trying to resign him at that point but he wouldn't commit. The second transfer was refused because he wouldn't sign and I don't see the problem with the team's stance there. I hope he turns out to be a great player and I wish it could have been at United. But, at the end, I think he saw a blockade to the first team at United and chose to go another route. Fair play to him but I don't think the management team did much wrong, can't hold a gun to the kid's head and say sign the fecking contract. Also, game time minutes are earned in practice, the fact that he wasn't getting minutes under a management team that has shown it will give them out to other young players has to say something.
they could have given him a few games and attempted to butter him up. Stuck him on at the end of matches. Especially in the Europa League. if he ends up being worth a decent figure in the future then we’ve dropped the ball with our hard stance on him when there were decent opportunities to loan or play him over the last few years. We were holding up his development. Fair play to him for getting out and testing himself. He was a cracking player all the way up, no reason why he won’t do well out there. This will be a fun thread to follow....

NecssryEvil

He was brilliant in pre season before last season. Then the season started and Ole froze him out for player's putting in lesser performances.
You say Ole froze him out, what was his motive? Ole was/is desperate to find an alternative to AP and JL yet he didn't play a kid that everyone thinks has the potential. People on here are acting like there was some sort of blind spot with the management team when it comes to Angel but I think there were other factors in this situation. His contract situation (lack of commitment to the team) and performance in training sessions were absolutely factors with him. Again, I hope he has a great career but I don't think this is on Ole/United, the kid made his choice not to fight for his place here.

NecssryEvil

they could have given him a few games and attempted to butter him up. Stuck him on at the end of matches. Especially in the Europa League. if he ends up being worth a decent figure in the future then we’ve dropped the ball with our hard stance on him when there were decent opportunities to loan or play him over the last few years. We were holding up his development. Fair play to him for getting out and testing himself. He was a cracking player all the way up, no reason why he won’t do well out there. This will be a fun thread to follow....
You don't "give games to butter him up" is what I am saying, time is earned and from the lack of playing time I think he must not have been doing what the coaches were looking for at the senior level. I agree with the rest, he is young and has plenty of time to prove himself and hope he does.