Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Nice message from him on IG. Best of luck and maybe we'll see him back one day.

Lemansky

Good luck to him. Was never going to make it here, so only natural he found a new club.

mu4c_20le

Good luck to him. Was never going to make it here, so only natural he found a new club.
That's actually a good point. Everyone is assuming he left because he thinks he's too good for the reserves, but maybe he knows his own ability and wasn't confident about breaking into the first team.

NotThatSoph

I feel like he might have been poorly advised to turn us down to just go to Boavista via Lille on loan? I mean, good luck to him of course and no doubt he'll get game time in two decent, competitive leagues to realise his potential but can't see why he couldn't have followed a similar path of going on loan etc. at Utd. Perhaps he likes the Pogba route and, like I say, best of luck to the kid.
He tried to follow that path here in both 2019 and 2020, but wasn't allowed to by the club. A loan from United would have been more risky than a loan from Lille to Boavista, because Boavista have incentives to develop Gomes as a player because of their connection to Lille, instead of solely focusing on what Gomes can do for them. After a finished loan he'd face the challenge of breaking into the Manchester United first team vs the Lille first team.

I think his decision makes perfect sense, especially considering he has barely gotten to play football at any level for the last 18 months or so here.

Idxomer

If he gets to a higher level, it won't be before 2 or 3 years. I think he's taking the right route for his development.

neilv93

He tried to follow that path here in both 2019 and 2020, but wasn't allowed to by the club. A loan from United would have been more risky than a loan from Lille to Boavista, because Boavista have incentives to develop Gomes as a player because of their connection to Lille, instead of solely focusing on what Gomes can do for them. After a finished loan he'd face the challenge of breaking into the Manchester United first team vs the Lille first team.

I think his decision makes perfect sense, especially considering he has barely gotten to play football at any level for the last 18 months or so here.
Hard to argue with any of that, fair points!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why would Boavista, who are being purchased by Lille, want to develop our players when they have Lille players of their own to develop?

Gerard Lopez is looking to build a football empire similar to Red Bull. They won’t be developing other clubs players for no gain.
You could easily replace boavista with any other club.

djembatheking

Would have struggled to break into our first team , hopefully he will get plenty of sharts at Lille.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Good luck to him but I don’t think he will ever amount to much, probably januzaj levels. Some mid table team in Spain.

Giggsy13

If there was any doubt that Gomes had terrible advisors in his camp then it’s there to see in this joke of a deal to Lille where he immediately is sent out on loan to a small Portuguese club. Why not take the contract with United and do the same thing?

Dahmmy

If there was any doubt that Gomes had terrible advisors in his camp then it’s there to see in this joke of a deal to Lille where he immediately is sent out on loan to a small Portuguese club. Why not take the contract with United and do the same thing?
i didnt mind the fact that he chose to leave to progress etc

but when i read he was offered 30k a week and his camp felt that was short of what he wanted!!

seriously is 30k a week not enough now???? if youre good enough here you get better contracts as you progress... sorry Gomes you need to think about whose advising you, i can bet that they made a bit from your move too.

Eire Red United

but when i read he was offered 30k a week and his camp felt that was short of what he wanted!!

seriously is 30k a week not enough now???? if youre good enough here you get better contracts as you progress... sorry Gomes you need to think about whose advising you, i can bet that they made a bit from your move too.
Could have stayed here and been on massive money within a couple of years if thats what he’s worried about. Look at Rashford. Anyway best of luck to the kid.

Dahmmy

Could have stayed here and been on massive money within a couple of years if thats what he’s worried about. Look at Rashford. Anyway best of luck to the kid.
yep

why not stay here and we could have loaned him to Dortmund as part of a sancho deal :)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

What do you think is more likely? That he left for money or he left to get games? Because I highly doubt he thought he'd make more money elsewhere, and it's quite obvious he'll have taken a significantly lower wage at the club he did end up joining.

Grande

When I read that, I think that who wrote it probably didn’t know what they were writing about.

Probably they knew Boavista was a farmer club to Lille, who themselves are renowned for bringing young players through. They probably did their due diligence before shooting off.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Gomes has a lot of time for Man United, but that there are huge differences in his(and his advisors’) idea of optimal development for him as a player. We may never know which idea was better, but I don’t blame a player for wanting to develop the moat they can when they are young, and of course you need to feel comfortable with the strategy.

Good luck to him, hope to see him back one day.

Matriac

Posted this quote below in the other Gomes thread (tried to look for the most recent one.
Agreeing with what Grande says above, Boavista isn't just a random club for Lille. This is a step in his development, and at 23-24 he can move to another big club in Europe after playing regular European football with Lille.

Getting a bit tired of everyone feeling like taking the piss out of Gomes in every other thread about transfers, Chong and so on. And I don't even particularly rate Gomes that highly.

He's actually taken a quite wise move. Especially if his physicality would be a challenge in the most physical league in the world. Not to mention all those he'd have to beat out for a chance to start with us in the coming years.

If he went on loan in the Championship he'd probably get knocked about even more. (Plus he was denied a loan move to a PL club this January.)

Owners of Lille also owns Boavista, they are starting something new there, similar to how Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Leipzig is run. So Boavista has an incentive to develop him for Lille.

After all those rainy years in Manchester he gets to chill for a year in sunny Portgual while getting gametime probably every week.
If he does things well he goes back to Lille probably after a year to feature in their team where he gets to play European football since Lille tends to finish top4 every year. A great showcase window for him.

He turns 20 at the end of this month. Even if he does a year on loan, and stays with Lille for 2 or 3 years later he'll still only be 23-24 when he's ready to move on to a bigger team in Europe.

For him specifically all things considered, this seems like a great move.

Dahmmy

What do you think is more likely? That he left for money or he left to get games? Because I highly doubt he thought he'd make more money elsewhere, and it's quite obvious he'll have taken a significantly lower wage at the club he did end up joining.
If he wanted more game time we could have loaned him out ourselves? Even used him as a add on loan to any transfer proposal?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If he wanted more game time we could have loaned him out ourselves? Even used him as a add on loan to any transfer proposal?
Look at it from his point of view. Do you think that he would feel that we've been the best possible place for him to develop over the last two seasons, or would he have been better off somewhere else where he was playing more often? Is he willing to risk that changing in the future or should he take matters into his own hands and leave?

There's always been big question marks over whether he can make it in England with his size, and I'm sure the coaches themselves have said that to him. So would it be surprising if he's taken that on board and decided he'd be better off, for the long term good of his career, to go overseas?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Look at it from his point of view. Do you think that he would feel that we've been the best possible place for him to develop over the last two seasons, or would he have been better off somewhere else where he was playing more often? Is he willing to risk that changing in the future or should he take matters into his own hands and leave?

There's always been big question marks over whether he can make it in England with his size, and I'm sure the coaches themselves have said that to him. So would it be surprising if he's taken that on board and decided he'd be better off, for the long term good of his career, to go overseas?
Forget saying it to him, they’ve been saying it publicly. Both Ole and Butt have said he’s not ready because he’s too small.

So unless he’s magically getting bigger it makes little sense to sign a new contract and trust your development to people who publicly critique your size and don’t believe in your ability despite it.

AsonUnique

Thanks for posting. Looks like he is given a lot of freedom to roam and even bring the ball up, reminds me of him in our youth teams. Hope he does well this season. May have to catch a game, Boavista just bought Reggie Cannon, a pretty solid American prospect too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Thanks for posting. Looks like he is given a lot of freedom to roam and even bring the ball up, reminds me of him in our youth teams. Hope he does well this season. May have to catch a game, Boavista just bought Reggie Cannon, a pretty solid American prospect too.
Its Covid footie. Socially distanced. They have lots of time on the ball and seems like tackling isn't allowed.

Last edited: