Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has to go on loan next season if he does sign, another season in the reserves will do nothing for him

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Has to go on loan next season if he does sign, another season in the reserves will do nothing for him
And we have to carefully choose where he goes. No use sending him to a club where he defends his 6 yard box all season.

Web of Bissaka

Wish Ole gave him genuine chances pre-Bruno instead of persisting with Pereira, Lingard and Mata at #10 or at least false RW. Alas.

*Ignore the title, the vid made good compilations of Gomes talents as #10.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it's pretty much nailed on that he's gonna re-sign. He's been heavily featured in the training and even played in the inter squad friendly match. If he was leaving in June end, then it'd have been pointless to let him train with the first team etc.

It'll be very bizarre if he doesn't re-sign now.

Ekeke

I think it's pretty much nailed on that he's gonna re-sign. He's been heavily featured in the training and even played in the inter squad friendly match. If he was leaving in June end, then it'd have been pointless to let him train with the first team etc.

Hope you're right.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wish Ole gave him genuine chances pre-Bruno instead of persisting with Pereira, Lingard and Mata at #10 or at least false RW. Alas.

I actually think Ole made the right decision there. I doubt he would have improved us dramatically and could have smashed his confidence with the amount of pressure that would have been on him to perform. Now he has much less of that with Pogba and Bruno being the main forces of creation, he can just complement them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just saw him on the latest United video clip. He still has the body of a teenager.

I just don't see how he can play in the EPL. It's not like he has the blistering pace to get away nor the thick lower body/CG. Skinny legs.
He will get pushed off the ball easily.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Maybe he hasn't been showing what's needed in training?
Also, Chong seems like the better player in that video!!

fps

Should pump Angel full of the PEDs they gave Lionel.
Why don’t they do this with young players? Give them all of it when they can’t be banned for it? I’m being half flippant while also being a bit curious.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Unless he's really bad in training I don't see his height as an issue at all. Where he lacks in height and physicality he makes up for it with intelligence and skill. He's one of those type of footballers where the ball seems glued to their leg

Borussia Teeth

Just saw him on the latest United video clip. He still has the body of a teenager.

I just don't see how he can play in the EPL. It's not like he has the blistering pace to get away nor the thick lower body/CG. Skinny legs.
He is a teenager though. His body is similar to Mata, Coutinho, Messi etc. It's not the 80s anymore. The game suits small players.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Well then the question would be, why it hasn't been confirmed already?

carpy

Puff the magic dragon

Well to be fair to him, he is still a teenager...

yan man utd

Gomes’ ability to keep the ball in tight situations particularly appeals to me. We have been missing that for years. Besides that he can pass, shoot and clearly has vision. Since when does height have anything to do with how good a midfielder/attacker is?

With a dynamic DM he can rotate with our other creative midfielders. He has the intricacy required against defending teams and he suits a possession based game. He should have been played more. I think it would be sad to see him leave on a free and succeed somewhere else without being give a proper chance.

In Rainbows

Maybe he hasn't been showing what's needed in training?
Also, Chong seems like the better player in that video!!
Chong had more chances to come up with his highlights. Also they don't show the bad parts.

wolvored

Can someone enlighten me or is it only Pique and Pogba who in the last 20 years have had a great career from leaving the youth setup here. I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head. Are the facts that there are better options already and Ole would have certainly given Gomes a go if he was good enough. We dont see what goes on in training and perhaps his physicality is a detriment to him. Who knows?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can someone enlighten me or is it only Pique and Pogba who in the last 20 years have had a great career from leaving the youth setup here. I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head. Are the facts that there are better options already and Ole would have certainly given Gomes a go if he was good enough. We dont see what goes on in training and perhaps his physicality is a detriment to him. Who knows?
Rossi had very good career too but injuries ruined his career.

Players like Drinkwater, Shawcross and few others had successful careers as they were PL regulars for many years.

CM

Why don’t they do this with young players? Give them all of it when they can’t be banned for it? I’m being half flippant while also being a bit curious.
Because then they might as well open up the entire sport to doping

wolvored

Rossi had very good career too but injuries ruined his career.

Players like Drinkwater, Shawcross and few others had successful careers as they were PL regulars for many years.
I was thinking more players who had done better at another club, than what Utd had done if they had stayed here. Like you said there are a few who have gone on to have decent careers. Drinkwater with the title the standout one.

fps

Because then they might as well open up the entire sport to doping
Not quite what I’m saying, Messi got a special dispensation to receive that treatment presumably. Why couldn’t families do this? Or do you think some do?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not quite what I’m saying, Messi got a special dispensation to receive that treatment presumably. Why couldn’t families do this? Or do you think some do?
Presumably they could... if they can obtain said medication (which i presume requires a doctors prescription... and having said prescription would probably mean you could get special dispensation)
Anyway assuming somebody acquires the medication on the black market and is prepared to give it to their kid who let's presume is prepared to take it they will get picked up in a drug test and banned anyway without said special dispensation
All in all its not sounding like a great plan

Unless they keep this child outside of all club youth set ups and make sure they are totally clear in their system before joining a club... but I doubt 10+ years of professional training would be compensated

Basically its still not sounding like a great plan

NWRed

He's apparently close to agreeing on a new contract

His actual words in the article are "I'm led to believe talks are edging towards a new deal for Gomes and the sight of him taking full part in training recently suggests he will feature to some degree in the run-in. It has been such a drawn-out, cloak and dagger process, though. Anything is possible. I'm told negotiations have stalled in the past over game time. The level United are looking at is around £25,000 per week."

Doesn't actually say it's close but certainly more positive than other recent reports.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
And also he doesn't look the better player in that video.
He clearly does, nearly every clip shows Chong making the intelligent runs or finishing ( other than the spoon over the bar!!).
But if Gomes does stay it points to a good understanding between the two.

lenny_1248

He is clearly staying and probably has already signed the new contract.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He clearly does, nearly every clip shows Chong making the intelligent runs or finishing ( other than the spoon over the bar!!).
But if Gomes does stay it points to a good understanding between the two.
You can't be serious. He makes a few basic runs and one particular calamity. It's not even a debate.