Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think if he's got aspirations of Chelsea he's going to ruin his career even further. Just like at United he's not good enough to get in Chelsea team either. The odd league Cup and FA cup game will be his lot.

How is he getting ahead of Mount n Pullisic and the dozen other options they have already.

I think he should aim lower personally. Bottom half PL team that like to play a passing game would be his best bet.

crossy1686

career ending
You've pretty much explained the answer in your own post. He's talented but he can't transfer that into performances in men's football yet.... maybe his size is an issue or maybe it's something else but I've watched him play a lot and he is a genuine world class talent.There's also the element of clubs not giving non committed players game time, everyone does it and it would be naive to think that Gomes wouldn't be playing more if his contract situation was sorted out.

Look at what Chelsea are paying Hudson-Odoi. It's disgustingly immoral amounts of money as apparently he's on more than 100k a week but maybe that's what you have to do to keep these kinds of talents now.

It's about the long term and he has even more potential than all of them IMO. Anyway as per my response above. Players that don't commit to a new contract never get any playing time so that's clearly been a factor this season for him.
He's not shown anywhere near the promise you're suggesting to even be in the first team. If he was one of the best youth players in the world he would be in the first team already. Countless managers have overlooked him for his peers, do you think that happened to Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, etc.

Face it, if he was as good as you say he is, he would have been given more game time over the course of his current contract. He would also be offered a contract on the terms he's demanding and not under them.

What you're saying doesn't match up with the facts at all.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that highly-rated youngster Angel Gomes
is yet to sign a contract extension and looks set to leave Manchester United.

The highly-rated 19-year-old came through United's academy and made his debut
aged 16 in May 2017, becoming the youngest player since Duncan Edwards to
feature for the first team.

However, contract talks between Gomes and the club reached a roadblock, with
Solskjaer now expecting the United midfielder to leave when his contract expires
on Tuesday.

When asked if Gomes would be leaving the club, Solskjaer responded: "I've not
heard from him last night or this morning so it seems like they haven't managed
to agree anything.

"The answer is probably short - yes."
Source: Sky Sports

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
COmmon you've seen him as much as me. He's very timid but with his ability he lifts an entire team, that's why he's captain IMO.
So no evidence. Being a leader doesn’t require running around yelling your head off. He’s been in teams that are the best in the world packed with unreal talent. Yet he’s been consistently picked as captain for every side by coach after coach. If it was purely based on talent then they’d easily make one of the other top talents captain. But they didn’t.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I always felt that Ole never picks him because Ole is testing and trying to building up his future squad - if A. Gomes isnt ready to sign a contract then theres no time wasting him as part of our squad.

I remember Chong wasn't signing up and he disappeared from the squad and just a couple weeks before he signed he started getting some more game time than he previously did.

limerickcitykid

If it's true then good luck to him.

Very talented player but I always doubted his ability to break into the first team with Ole's obsession with giving Pereira and Lingard gametime instead.

He could go the way of Pogba and make a huge name for himself, or go the way of Ravel Morrison and Ashley Fletcher etc. I'm going to stick my neck out and predict the latter. Bigger talents than him have left us and we haven't really suffered (maybe Pogba, Rossi and Pique aside).
Ashley Fletcher what? He was a bench youth player. What relevance does he have?

Evans999

Hannibal Mejbri is coming through. He'll hit much higher heights than Angel ever will.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Feck knows. It will still suck balls if/when they sign him.
Yeah, well, only if he goes on to be a balon d'or winner.

The thing is, if he can't get into the team ahead of Lingard and Pereira then it doesn't bode well for him at Chelsea. I know Chelsea will play a lot of games next season so there will be rotation opportunities but it might be better for him to go somewhere he'll get minutes.

limerickcitykid

Pogba has been out for 8 months and had one game coming off the bench. He started the very next game and he only didn't start against Norwich because we fielded a weaker team. He will be starting every other game going forward (god willing). And every time Young entered the pitch he was given the armband, what's your point?

Angel may have been coming back from an injury, but if he was that important he would have started more games, rather than just 2 out of the 7 games that England played.
He also came off the bench in his previous two appearances too.

He couldn’t play more because he wasn’t fit. Are you dense or something?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ashley Fletcher what? He was a bench youth player. What relevance does he have?
Tom Thorpe might be a better analogy?

He was an England international at every age group, one of the best in our academy, captain of our reserves team and loads of people lost their mind when he left. Currently playing in Indian Super League.

0le

He was an England international at every age group, one of the best in our academy, captain of our reserves team and loads of people lost their mind when he left. Currently playing in Indian Super League.
Honestly, Fryers is the best one. People were absolutely livid, particularly when he did those funny transfers to end up at Spurs!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Would he even get into the Chelsea team?

I know they're not flushed with options but CHO, Mount, Barkley, Willian, Pulisic would all be ahead of him.
Zeiych joins soon as well - and werner who could operate in a wide role
Wherever he goes good luck to him - and from an England perspective I hope he gets games and develops - must admit I'd prefer it was abroad somewhere but will have no hard feelings towards him if he goes to another club

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Feck knows. It will still suck balls if/when they sign him.
Not really. Hes not going to be another Pogba. People who have watched him this year in 23's said he didn't look that great. Garner looked way better and Mejbri is a bigger talent too from what ai have read and heard. Gomes will end up at a lower PL team level at best.

Devil may care

He's never had the first team game time to make a judgment on him, but I find it hard to imagine he'd be less affective than Lingard and Pereira, and in truth Mata only has the odd decent game here and there these days. It must be frustrating to see those 3 get chance after chance after chance, and with the Villa chav rumours consistent he probably feels he's wasting his time, just hope it doesn't end up in a Sancho/Pogba situation.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Would he even get into the Chelsea team?

I know they're not flushed with options but CHO, Mount, Barkley, Willian, Pulisic would all be ahead of him.
Willian is gone in a few weeks. This kid won't go straight into our lineup but he'll get a few chances from the bench, which he seemingly thinks he can't get at Man United.

If he does sign for Chelsea (which I doubt), you guys will get some dosh I think. If he signed for someone overseas, you'll get nowt.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Willian is gone in a few weeks. This kid won't go straight into our lineup but he'll get a few chances from the bench, which he seemingly thinks he can't get at Man United.

If he does sign for Chelsea (which I doubt), you guys will get some dosh I think. If he signed for someone overseas, you'll get nowt.
I'd rather us get nowt and see him try a foreign league instead of getting something and potentially seeing him make it at a rival, to be honest.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Zeiych joins soon as well - and werner who could operate in a wide role
Wherever he goes good luck to him - and from an England perspective I hope he gets games and develops - must admit I'd prefer it was abroad somewhere but will have no hard feelings towards him if he goes to another club
I think Werner is coming in as the striker which will push Abraham to back up or wide role.

I suppose also Gomes might know that Sancho or Bellingham are coming which would further limit his chances

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not really. Hes not going to be another Pogba. People who have watched him this year in 23's said he didn't look that great. Garner looked way better and Mejbri is a bigger talent too from what ai have read and heard. Gomes will end up at a lower PL team level at best.
In my personal opinion, he’s the most talented youth player I’ve seen since Pogba. So I would be surprised if he doesn’t go on to have a good career. Despite being fecking tiny. I just hope that career isn’t at Chelsea. Or anywhere where I’m going to keep hearing about him. I will 100% be avoiding his career update thread, that’s for sure. Unless it all goes tits up for him anyway...

limerickcitykid

Thorpe actually hasn’t played in 2 years. He was on trial in New York last year but wasn’t offered a contract.

And he’s actually a good analogy of why Angel should leave. Good talent, although never close to Angel, who was forced to stay around underage football until he was 21 because we refused to loan him out or play him. Completely ruining his development. Angel seems to be smart enough to avoid that.

limerickcitykid

He got a goal or assist every 70 mins in the u23s. He was taking the piss with ease.

No Love

Good luck to him. Perhaps strangely, I’m not all that bothered by this.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don’t want to play for Utd then I’m not interested in seeing you stick around. Given his contract expires tomorrow, I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest he’s not entirely convinced by being here, for whatever reason.Therefore, I’d rather he fecked off - He can find a club that will give him the assurances/money he wants and we can focus on players who want to be here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thorpe actually hasn’t played in 2 years. He was on trial in New York last year but wasn’t offered a contract.

And he’s actually a good analogy of why Angel should leave. Good talent, although never close to Angel, who was forced to stay around underage football until he was 21 because we refused to loan him out or play him. Completely ruining his development. Angel seems to be smart enough to avoid that.
Bit of a stretch to try and claim that Thorpe would have been good enough for Manchester United (which is all that any of us should care about when it comes to players coming through) if he didn’t have his career ruined by the ignominy of playing reserve team football for a couple of seasons past his teens. Much more likely the people on here predicting great things were wrong. Which happens all the time.

Not that this is particularly relevant to Gomes anyway. Who is getting the feck out of dodge long before he could reasonably start feeling aggrieved about not going out on loan etc Kind of reminds me of Rossi actually. In that they’re both very good but very small. Rossi arguably needed a move to a new league to excel. I hope the same is true for Gomes. I don’t want to see him excelling at another PL club. Feck that.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

You guys realise, of course, that we are entitled to a big tribunal fee if he signs for Chelsea, whereas if he goes abroad it's cursory at best? I.e. angel will make a shit ton of money for himself and his agent by fecking off abroad right now, which is probably what he's gonna do - and to Italy most likely imo.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think Werner is coming in as the striker which will push Abraham to back up or wide role.

I suppose also Gomes might know that Sancho or Bellingham are coming which would further limit his chances
possibly with werner - I think he will play most games and most of them as striker but there will probably be games with abraham through the middle where they feel werners pace will be more effective on the wings... but I suspect abraham will still be involved in most games, as will mount, 2 out of Zeiych, Pulisic and CHO will play most games and you have barkley and RLC looking for games as well.
I wouldnt be surprised to see him go to chelsea simply because of the rumours but equally if he signed for a club where he would get a lot of game time I think it would be better for his development though perhaps he thinks hes ready and should be starting at united or Chelsea (like pogba at Juve) - guess we will find out in a couple of days - personally I hope he goes to Dortmund and they back off bellingham

Jaxa

I don’t mind him leaving for chances elsewhere but it’s an idiotic decision to sign for Chelsea if that’s the case, one of the worst clubs in the league in terms of giving youngsters chances, sure Frank seems to give youngsters more of a chance but he won’t be there in 2 years time when Roman pulls the trigger , a team like Leicester would be a good move for him or Dortmund if he moves abroad

freeurmind

weak willed
Pogba V2? Don't really understand Lingard and Pereira getting all those opportunities while he's been stowed away but wish him all the best.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Our loan system sucks.

He should have been sent out on loan with assurance that he'll be given chance with the first team instead of consistently putting him on the fringes of it with no actual meaningful game time.

Good luck for him if he leaves, but it's probably for the good of his career because we've wasted 2 years of his career.

Would be good if he manages to sign for a club like Ajax.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He got a goal or assist every 70 mins in the u23s. He was taking the piss with ease.
Aren't we in PL 2 in the u23s? Not only is u23 football not that great we aren't even in the top league are we?

Not overly worried about Gomes. He's nowhere near good enough to get in Chelsea's team. If he goes there he's guna be loaned out within a year to Vitesse.

Classical Mechanic

Aren't we in PL 2 in the u23s? Not only is u23 football not that great we aren't even in the top league are we?

Not overly worried about Gomes. He's nowhere near good enough to get in Chelsea's team. If he goes there he's guna be loaned out within a year to Vitesse.
Vitesse would be a good step for him in my opinion. Exactly the kind of league he'd be suited to at this point. Might even end up in Portgual. Good league for him and a culture he knows.

LVGSdive

In my personal opinion, he’s the most talented youth player I’ve seen since Pogba. So I would be surprised if he doesn’t go on to have a good career. Despite being fecking tiny. I just hope that career isn’t at Chelsea. Or anywhere where I’m going to keep hearing about him. I will 100% be avoiding his career update thread, that’s for sure. Unless it all goes tits up for him anyway...
I am on the Gomes bandwagon as well, I thought after his excellent preseason he was going to get game time, then Ole just phased him out. Whoever gets him for basically free in football terms is going to be laughing at us for not giving him more opportunities.

limerickcitykid

Bit of a stretch to try and claim that Thorpe would have been good enough for Manchester United if he didn’t have his career ruined by the ignominy of playing reserve team football for a couple of seasons past his teens. Much more likely the people on here predicting great things were wrong.

Not that this is particularly relevant to Gomes anyway. Who is getting the feck out of dodge long before he could reasonably start feeling aggrieved about not going out on loan etc Kind of reminds me of Rossi actually. In that they’re both very good but very small. Rossi arguably needed a move to a new league to excel. I hope the same is true for Gomes. I don’t want to see him excelling at another PL club. Feck that.
I didn’t say he’d have made it at United. I said it massively stunted his development which it did. And an example of what could happen if Angel signs a new contract and similarly find himself at 21 and still never playing a game. If Thorpe forced his way out earlier he may have an actual career still instead of being effectively retired.

I hope he excels at whatever club he goes to and I’ll be closely following him. He’s United through and through and a genuinely nice guy who I wish nothing but the best for. If he excels he’ll no doubt come back.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Whole this situation with him is strange. Is it possible that he sucks so much in trainings because of which Ole didn't gave him chance despite Lingard and Pereira were awful on no10?
Or as usual we fans overrate our young player?

Davìd Moyéz

I for one am glad that we're not prepared to give youngsters whatever they want to stay. Seems to be a clear effort to not be as financially reckless as we have previously and finally sort out our ridiculous wage structure. 30k a week seems ludicrously high for someone so unproven. If he's not prepared to accept that then good luck to him.

Baneofthegame

Well if he is going good luck to him, honestly thought after pre season he was going to get some opportunities, at least in the position he’s most favoured in.

limerickcitykid

There is little in difference between the divisions and if anything the second division is more physical with older players as top teams tend to play 17-18 year olds. Either way he was fantastic, which you tried to claim he wasn’t.

A loan to Vitesse kicked off Odegaard into being a top player so I’m sure Angel wouldn’t mind the same.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yet another failure of negotiation from our inept leadership but what's even more depressing is all the people on here doing the Glazers' bidding and excusing this failure.

People saying he's not good enough and suggesting we're letting him go are missing the point so badly, they're almost close to getting it from the opposite side. Like Herrera, we wanted him to stay and he said NO.

This was not due to some football club ethics, principles or strategy, just pure lack of urgency in offering a new contract ahead of time, so we save more money for dividends for those American swine.