Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

Rolaholic

According to the United Stand, and Marc Goldbridge, Gomes signed a new contract yesterday, with Lingard wanting to leave.

Can't speak of the reliability of the source, though.
Would be more than glad with locking down Gomes for the near future and letting Lingard leave

Momentum has been trending towards him staying recently after it seemed he was set to leave a few weeks ago. He's been spotted at Carrington training with the rest of the lads which I doubt would be the case if he was on his way out

King Andow

We have so little cover for Bruno, I don’t understand why we wouldn’t move Lingard and Pereira on and give Gomes the job backing up Bruno with Pogba (or his replacement) around if he’s not up to it. How much worse can he be and like I said there would be alternative cover or we would go 442 or 5 at the back or eventually sign a replacement for the role if it was a disaster. If he’s 90 percent as good as Mount who is 80 percent as good Maddison and Foden that’s not the end of the world, and is probably still better than Lingard or Pereira did in the role.
I think once we sort his contract, that's what we should do. We all know Lingard and Pereira are useless, if we give Gomes a PROPER chance and not just a few games playing out of position with the reserves, we'll finally see if he's good enough or not.

Brightonian

And it should be noted that the Juve boys were big, and that small Gomes didn't look troubled by them. That at some points they backed away from him after realising he could walk around them or resist their physical pressure.
Yep, and the same was true of the Rotherham match you mentioned. That was a big, powerful line-up, not far off the kind of strength and height disparity Gomes can expect to deal with against senior sides. He spent all day turning their midfielders and leaving them behind, and using that velcro first touch to receive the ball with a defender at his back. Showed everything you would want to see to suggest that he'll be fine at senior level. Also all his best moments came in the #10 position and the few bad ones resulted from him ending up wide, underlining your other point that games for the seniors on the wing are essentially pointless, since he is in no way shape or form a winger.

Red_toad

According to the United Stand, and Marc Goldbridge, Gomes signed a new contract yesterday, with Lingard wanting to leave.

Can't speak of the reliability of the source, though.
They know feck all and just rehash shite off twatter and media sources. They also both hate Jesse. Angel will drop hints on his social media, that’s what he’s done in the past just before he’s signs.

davidmichael

I think in a 4-2-3-1 we’ve got Fernandes, Lingard, Pereira, Gomes and Mejbri who’s been rumoured to be promoted to the first team next season who can all play as a 10 so I think we can definitely afford to sell Lingard to the highest bidder whilst still being strong in that position.

Brightonian

I think in a 4-2-3-1 we’ve got Fernandes, Lingard, Pereira, Gomes and Mejbri who’s been rumoured to be promoted to the first team next season who can all play as a 10 so I think we can definitely afford to sell Lingard to the highest bidder whilst still being strong in that position.
Whatever the rumours I'll be staggered if we see Mejbri in anything more than a couple of league cup games next season, he's superbly talented but still skinny as a rake. Given that Pereira pretty thoroughly demonstrated this season that he's not creative enough to be our #10, I'd argue that we are strong enough in that position if Pogba stays. That said, if we buy Sancho for the RW (and I don't think we would consider selling Pogba unless we were definitely signing Sancho, personally), he would be another option at #10 too.

So yeah, for me it's got to be at least either Fernandes, Pogba, Gomes or Fernandes, Sancho, Gomes as options for that position for us to be safe. Neither Mejbri or Pereira should be counted as safe cover for that position next season. Ideally, of course, we'll have Fernandes, Pogba, Gomes and Sancho! :keano:

Oh, and could there be an argument that Martial would be good there, playing behind Greenwood?

Craig Ward

If we intend to use him, then thats Lingard gone. Which is no bad thing.

If we renew Gomes and then afford potential game time he would get on Lingard, or even Periera then we are seriously missing a trick.

Ole likes to breed youth and he has surely seen that Lingard and Periera dont offer enough, its whether we can sell them.

If Gomes commits, then i suspect Ole will use him. He's been injured a lot and the fact he hasnt signed has properly dented his chances of more game time this season.

Only one way to know if he will adapt to seniors and make a mark is by using him in the position he plays. If we can commit to Chong, who isn't as good for me then Gomes should get a chance.

If we keep Pogba and renew Gomes, i doubt we'll go after Grealish as well.

For 3 starting midfield positions a squad of:
Matic, Fred, McTom, Pogba, Fernandes, New DM, Gomes is probably enough. Also have Mata and most likely one of Lingard/Periera if injuries are very bad.

Ideally a summer recruitment of:
DM/RW/ST for the first team is all we need if Gomes renews and Pogba stays

Bonus signing would be a top tier CB to replace Lindelof, such as Upamencano.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's too short and frail to make it in the EPL

devilish

Salford lad. He’ll tough it out as long as he’s good enough.
He's 5 ft 3. The guy is way shorter to the likes of Messi (5 ft 7), Zola (5 ft 6) and Scholes (5 ft 6). The latter are way tougher and far more technically gifted then Angel. The guy will be toyed around by the opponent's defences.

I understand if we bought him to then sell him off but let's put our hopes up. It would also be a mistake to think that Gomes can replace Lingard. The latter need proper replacing not some guy who had yet to show anything to deserve a first team run.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's from London. We're much tougher though.
It's scientifically proven that northerners are harder than southerners. I thought it was a commonly known fact.

You lot wear gloves and wooly jumpers when the temperature drops below 12 degrees.

Member 39557

Has anybody mentioned his height yet? I've scrolled through the entire thread, but I've yet to see it referenced.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's 5 ft 3. The guy is way shorter to the likes of Messi (5 ft 7), Zola (5 ft 6) and Scholes (5 ft 6). The latter are way tougher and far more technically gifted then Angel. The guy will be toyed around by the opponent's defences.

I understand if we bought him to then sell him off but let's put our hopes up. It would also be a mistake to think that Gomes can replace Lingard. The latter need proper replacing not some guy who had yet to show anything to deserve a first team run.
There is a lot of debate about his height. Wikipedia often have wrong heights listed, especially for younger players who haven't had their pages updated despite growing a couple of inches. Quite a few people say he's now about 5'5" (which is what most other online sources have him listed as).

As for replacing Lingard, you might be right if Lingard was our main back-up player for that role. But we've also got both Pereira and Mata, both of whom have performed much better than Lingard this season.

Lynty

5'5" or 5'3", surely he'll battle harder than someone like Di Maria.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Don't get why people have dismissed him quickly when he has played very little. Greenwood didn't play well also when he first started but alot seem to have forgotten. And what has Garner done? Gomes has played very little amount of games and has potential so don't judge now

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Trained with the first team squad today so that’s surely a good sign. No “isolation” from the team anyway.

devilish

Don't get why people have dismissed him quickly when he has played very little. Greenwood didn't play well also when he first started but alot seem to have forgotten. And what has Garner done? Gomes has played very little amount of games and has potential so don't judge now
I am not dismissing him at all. I don't mind if he stays tbh. However let's get some perspective here. He did nothing to justify a better role then that of a youth. Also his lack of height is indeed a problem

DSG

Would you have said the same thing about Messi 12 years ago?
This is the Caf. Of course he would have...

Seriously though, I had (have?) high hopes for Gomes. After watching him more, I am worried about him physically. Height is one issue, but the other is that he is pretty frail. Scholes, Modric, Messi, Veratti are all 5'7" and below and all world class. But all are pretty stocky and strong. The fact that Gomes has been injured isn't great either.

I would sign him and loan him out. I don't think there is a scenario that if Bruno is injured and we need a fill in, that Andreas sits while Gomes plays. Gomes is pretty useless as a defender. If he figures it out, puts on some muscle, he may have a chance. By that time though, he may have to deal with Mejbri.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Would you have said the same thing about Messi 12 years ago?
The more appropriate comparison would be Sebastian Giovinco, seriously skillful player but lacked the height/frame to really impress in Europe, still killing it in the MLS.

Let's hope Gomes can overcome his height issues and gain more mass, as right now his frame is similar to Giovinco which isn't good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He regularly trains with them, so has Chong, since the beginning of the season.
You'd think if he was 3 weeks away from leaving they wouldn't be involving him too much. Just a thought anyway.

0le

So is he out of contract now from today?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Any pics of him training? I'm guessing we/he wouldn't be insured if he was training without a contract?
There are but his contract is until the 30th of June anyway.

That also isn’t how insurance works, he doesn’t need to be under a contract to be under an insurance policy. Players go in trials and retired or out of contract players train with teams all the time

SweetRightFoot

I don't see his height and frame as an issue. The best player in the world suffered from actual dwarfism, plenty of other elite players have been physically unintimidating and there's no real difference between 5ft 6 and 5ft 8. You're still not winning headers and you'll never out muscle the bigger players but that never stopped Xavi, Iniesta, Modric et al. We've got Mata in the squad who's a half pint footballer if there ever was one who earned himself player of the season twice for Chelsea. The only thing I'd say he needs to work on would be his workrate, that's what separates the Iniestas from the Ozils.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
There are but his contract is until the 30th of June anyway.

That also isn’t how insurance works, he doesn’t need to be under a contract to be under an insurance policy. Players go in trials and retired or out of contract players train with teams all the time
Yeah that does make sense, didn't really think there did I? :lol: