Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Greed unfortunately. He'd not shown it for the first team, and his people messed it up for him, as he wasn't showing the quality required to make us really feel that we need to bow down to his demands. We've got plenty of talent in front of him, and he clearly wasn't doing what was required to get more of a look in.

Always rated him high, he's been a sensational talent for us at the lower levels and I'm sad its ending like this, but its far from the end of the world and I won't be losing too much sleep over it even if he ends up at Chelsea, even if I'd hate to see that coming.
How's he supposed to show it for the first team if he doesn't get playing time? He played fairly well in preseason, wanted a loan which was turned down by Ole who than proceeded to barely play him the entire season.

Club should have locked him down last summer and let him go out on loan instead of allowing him to run down his contract till the last year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rejected 25k, bit bonkers really. Just shows how much other clubs have offered him to run it down.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rejected 25k, bit bonkers really. Just shows how much other clubs have offered him to run it down.
Or that he wants to play football....
Pogba all over again, we will make out its about the money when its clearly not.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hard to tell, he may have rejected 25k because there were no guarantees on playing time/clear path to the first team - which he might get somewhere else. I'll be really pissed off if he pitches up at Barca B, which was rumoured what they offered.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba all over again, we will make out its about the money when its clearly not.
Fair enough, but I doubt he will be moving somewhere for less.

Anyway I have no bad feelings towards him, hope he can make a good career and you never know might return.

Classical Mechanic

That's kinda what I mean, it seems we don't have any power over loanees getting game time.

Ampadu is another one who has had a pretty shit loan this season.
Fair point but he's a keeper so its harder to get playing time.

I think Ampadu went to a club that was too good for his current level.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I really don't think he's after money.
Some are just saying it to make themselves feel better.

Judas

Open to offers
How's he supposed to show it for the first team if he doesn't get playing time? He played fairly well in preseason, wanted a loan which was turned down by Ole who than proceeded to barely play him the entire season.

Club should have locked him down last summer and let him go out on loan instead of allowing him to run down his contract till the last year.
If he was showing more in training, he'd have got more chances. His contract issues wouldn't have helped his situation, either. He was average when he played, with the few odd glimpses of his talent, but he never grabbed the bull by the horns when the chances were given to him, and you have to do that at a club like Utd. Unless your name is Chong, but he was happy to take the contract offer, that's the difference.

I agree he should have been signed up last summer.

Where's the proof he wanted a loan and Ole turned it down, first I've heard that.

RedDevil@84

I think it’s up to Gomes that he didn’t make it. Greenwood and Williams took their chances, and Mason is now a first XI player and Brandon definitely a squad player.
Different positions, different challenges.
Greenwood had an opening because the players in those positions hadn't cemented their position by last summer.

Williams was getting a look in because Shaw was blowing hot and cold even after years and years of being unchallenged in the position.
Midfield was going to be tough because our teams needs were immediate. We didn't have time to give a youth time to come in and learn.

Judas

Open to offers
Gomes had a golden opportunity to get in the first team or get more games because his competition was terrible, and yet, he didn't. Ole has shown he has no problem giving kids a chance. Gomes dropped the ball and seemingly didn't rise to the challenge. The fact we're letting him go and not desperately clinging onto him shows we know we've got other players for our future, and to be fair we clearly do.

edcunited1878

Gomes doesn't have the talent nor physical nor belief Pogba did at his age so I think that is a comparison, while similar to a degree, is unfair to Pogba. Fergie has always stated that Pogba's departure stems from Mino more than anything else.

As far as Ole blocking a loan for Gomes, you should ask yourself why this is the case knowing that senior players such as Lingard, Mata, and Pereria are on their last years in the team.

Gomes hasn't shown any patience in this process and has been involved in first team training for a bit now and seemingly hasn't put in the performances, effort, or done something on a daily basis.

If he doesn't want to earn his keep, then all the best to him. There's always a learning curve when trying to get to the top and within that curve is patience and persistence which I don't believe he's had enough of at this moment.

mu4c_20le

Greenwood had an opening because the players in those positions hadn't cemented their position by last summer.

Williams was getting a look in because Shaw was blowing hot and cold even after years and years of being unchallenged in the position.
Midfield was going to be tough because our teams needs were immediate. We didn't have time to give a youth time to come in and learn.
Chong.

Prodigal7

Comparisons with Greenwood etc are lazy and wrong as he's a different type of player. Gomes is a playmaker and they tend to mature later. Athletic ball carriers and finishers like Greenwood and Rashford emerge a lot earlier. Giggs and Scholes are great examples of this.

Gomes is the best talent we've had since Pogba. I know many will disagree but he's one of the most talented youth players we've ever had. We should do everything to convince him to stay. It should be obvious when every major club around Europe is sniffing around to try and lure him to them.

I won't impulsively blame the club as I/we don't know what Gomes' demands are but people here need to understand how good this kid is. We're heavy on youth PR and symbology at this club - you don't make a youth player the youngest debutant since Duncan Edwards without damn good reason. I've a feeling his lack of commitment to a new contract is the reason he's not had more chances this season and you have to wonder where he'd be with us now if he committed to a new contract last summer.

If it's the difference of a few 10s of thousands per week then we should be breaking our wage structure for him, yes it's that important.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its tough, cos we're fans, but we need to look at this unemotionally. Gomes isn't suddenly crap because he's not signing a new deal. He will probably go elsewhere and have a good career, maybe a very good career. That's life.

The reactions of some remind me of the people who used to get on Chelsea about letting De Bruyne go. Obviously De Bruyne is one of the best players in the league. However, since he left Chelsea they've still won a couple of league titles. Both moved on and the separation ultimately didn't harm either party. You can probably argue that staying would have been harmful to De Bruyne since Mourinho and Conte probably would not have used him as his other managers have.

Football won't stop today. I would not be surprised to see Gomes performing well at the top end of European football down the line. Still the United academy is not going to stop producing players. Nor will United, if they're serious about competing for honours, stop trying to buy in the Bruno Fernandes' of this world. So I am not going to lose my mind just because Gomes is going. Its sad that someone who started with us at 6 has decided his future is elsewhere but that's football. David Beckham was dyed in the wool and walked out of the club on the cheap after winning the Treble with us. I didn't cry about that so why would I cry about this?

Alemar

Where is the evidence of Gomes’ so called unique talent? We haven’t seen it at all, he didn’t deliver. There was a lengthy period of Pogba injury pre-Bruno, there were dire needs in midfield - yet OGS didn’t even include Gomes in the squad usually. Why? Apparently, he didn’t deliver in training (contrary to those who did).

Judas

Open to offers
Where is the evidence of Gomes’ so called unique talent? We haven’t seen it at all, he didn’t deliver. There was a lengthy period of Pogba injury pre-Bruno, there were dire needs in midfield - yet OGS didn’t even include Gomes in the squad usually. Why? Apparently, he didn’t deliver in training (contrary to those who did).
Bit silly, because people are obviously talking about his performances outside of the first team, where he's been brilliant and looked like one of the best youth products of the last ten years. That's the evidence. He's not instantly taken the step up, that's obvious and the issue which has led to him leaving.

clarkydaz

I thought the club tended to take a stance if you are not comitting to the club you dont play (with young players)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bit silly, because people are obviously talking about his performances outside of the first team, where he's been brilliant and looked like one of the best youth products of the last ten years. That's the evidence. He's not instantly taken the step up, that's obvious and the issue which has led to him leaving.
Exactly. Ole should gave given him games instead he stuck to Periera and Jlingz

Cassidy

Yes we persisted with the likes of Lingard, Pereira and Mata... right

Alemar

With all due respect, these arguments do not stand. At his age (19, soon to be 20) many attacking players are stars already (or stars in the making). Real attacking jewels start to play much earlier than 19 years old (look at Fati, Haaland, our own Greenwood to name a few) - they all started (to play for their FIRST TEAMS) at 17 if not earlier. And they are on the right trajectory to become football stars and truly word class players.

And now look at Gomes. Yes, he did play several games for the first team, but never impressed (in a competitive senior game). And performances at the youth level are not actually relevant here - the task is to make it at the senior level.

Could he seriously improve later on? Perhaps. Is it probable that he repeats Zidane route (becoming somewhat famous as a player at 24) - highly unlikely, it’s much more probable that you either make it earlier or don’t make at all.

If, however, Gomes’ ceiling is much lower than that, then it’s not an issue at all (it’s not enough to be a “good player” to cut it at Man Utd - we need much, much more than that)

ICHM

We offered £25K a week rising to £30K apparently, his 'team' wanted double that. Quite simply he's not worth it, he hasn't show to be worth it. Some other club will take a punt, thinking they can get £15-20M when they sell him after 2 seasons.

lsd

The Oracle
Gomes has been training with the first team for ages . If he was showing he was good enough in training he would have gotten more chances .

Do people honestly think he was showing every day he was better than those players above him and Ole just ignored it ?

Revan

Assumptionman
He is nowhere near as good as Pogba was at his age. He might become a decent player, but the situations are quite different IMO. Pogba simply was ready back then (he started many games the following season for Juve, and became a starter a season after that), Angel is nowhere ready.

Prodigal7

Gomes has been training with the first team for ages . If he was showing he was good enough in training he would have gotten more chances .

Do people honestly think he was showing every day he was better than those players above him and Ole just ignored it ?
Yes, because that's what happens when players don't commit to a contract. It happens literally every time.

Cassidy

He is nowhere near as good as Pogba was at his age. He might become a decent player, but the situations are quite different IMO. Pogba simply was ready back then (he started many games the following season for Juve, and became a starter a season after that), Angel is nowhere ready.
Who said he was?
The fact is again just like Pogba people are saying its about the money when its clear if you have followed the player that the concern is about playing time and always has been

Revan

Assumptionman
Who said he was?
The fact is again just like Pogba people are saying its about the money when its clear if you have followed the player that the concern is about playing time and always has been
Sorry then, I misunderstood. What I meant it that Gomes might be a lose, but nowhere near in the category of Pogba (if he leaves). He won't become a 100m player IMO.

Let's see.

mu4c_20le

Who said he was?
So any young player that turns down a contract over playing time concerns is a Pogba?

Never mind the fact that Pogba actually agreed a deal with another club behind our back long before Fergie paid him a visit, vs Gomes' contract being on the table until the last day?

Cassidy

Sorry then, I misunderstood. What I meant it that Gomes might be a lose, but nowhere near in the category of Pogba (if he leaves). He won't become a 100m player IMO.

Let's see.
I don't disagree with that

Cassidy

So any young player that turns down a contract over playing time concerns is a Pogba?

Never mind the fact that Pogba actually agreed a deal with another club behind our back long before Fergie paid him a visit, vs Gomes' contract being on the table until the last day?
You are clearly lost... read the whole conversation, it wasn't a negative slant on the player. I was obviously saying it isn't about the money why he is leaving.
Regarding Pogba "behind our back" that's a conversation for a separate thread because we were in negotiations with him at first and we didn't do enough (playing time wise) which led to that as is well documented.
Fergies last ditch attempt was too late damage was done.

mu4c_20le

You are clearly lost... read the whole conversation, it wasn't a negative slant on the player. I was obviously saying it isn't about the money why he is leaving.
Regarding Pogba "behind our back" that's a conversation for a separate thread because we were in negotiations with him at first and we didn't do enough (playing time wise) which led to that as is well documented.
Fergies last ditch attempt was too late damage was done.
Nah, you said "Pogba all over again", I'm just pointing out that it was a lazy comparison unless you think he could be as good as Pogba, which you backtracked

Cassidy

Nah, you said "Pogba all over again", I'm just pointing out that it was a lazy comparison unless you think he could be as good as Pogba, which you backtracked
It is not a lazy comparison since its another player not signing due to obviously crap first team players playing ahead. Why do they have to have the exact same ability for it to be a decent comparison? That is just silly because quite frankly when Pogba left people were also saying he wasn't that good when he got chances too!
Gomes has been one of our best performers at u18/u23 level over the past decade.

lsd

The Oracle
Yes, because that's what happens when players don't commit to a contract. It happens literally every time.

BS Chong was getting games when it looked like he wasn't going to sign . You have be deluded to think Ole was refusing to give Gomes a shot if Gomes was outshining everyone in front of him during training.

Managers are not going to refuse picking players who can win them games and keep them in their job

crossy1686

career ending
BS Chong was getting games when it looked like he wasn't going to sign . You have be deluded to think Ole was refusing to give Gomes a shot if Gomes was outshining everyone in front of him during training.

Managers are not going to refuse picking players who can win them games and keep them in their job
Said this further up but people are doing mental gymnastics to try and spin some sort of conspiracy as to why "one of the hottest prospects in world football" has been allowed to leave the club. It's simple, any of the questions or excuses people are coming up with, just answer yourself with 'if he was good enough'.

He didn't play enough - he would if he was good enough.
He only played 19 minutes in the first team - he would have played more if he was good enough

You guys can fill in the rest.