Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

mu4c_20le

It is not a lazy comparison since its another player not signing due to obviously crap first team players playing ahead. Why do they have to have the exact same ability for it to be a decent comparison? That is just silly because quite frankly when Pogba left people were also saying he wasn't that good when he got chances too!
Gomes has been one of our best performers at u18/u23 level over the past decade.
I suppose they don't have to be, but what makes the Pogba situation unique is the fact that he did go on to become a world class player.

Gomes has shown his potential with us and that's why he was offered a pretty reasonable contract. Why he turned it down is something only he himself knows, but imo I dont think he's special enough to be given special treatment over everyone else. And I'd be shocked if he walks into Barca or Chelsea's first team tbh.

Alemar

BS Chong was getting games when it looked like he wasn't going to sign . You have be deluded to think Ole was refusing to give Gomes a shot if Gomes was outshining everyone in front of him during training.

Managers are not going to refuse picking players who can win them games and keep them in their job
That is true. I think OGS understands that Lingard, Pereira and Mata are shit (to an extent at least). But, apparently, in his opinion they are still a better option than Gomes - otherwise he would have used him instead, but he doesn’t.

OGS is under serious pressure (must deliver CL football one way or another), so he is unlikely to sabotage the game time of a particular player due to personal reasons, more likely on merit...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I suppose they don't have to be, but what makes the Pogba situation unique is the fact that he did go on to become a world class player.

Gomes has shown his potential with us and that's why he was offered a pretty reasonable contract. Why he turned it down is something only he himself knows, but imo I dont think he's special enough to be given special treatment over everyone else. And I'd be shocked if he walks into Barca or Chelsea's first team tbh.
Hindsight.... at the same stage when their contacts ran down their situations were extremely similar.

Prodigal7

BS Chong was getting games when it looked like he wasn't going to sign . You have be deluded to think Ole was refusing to give Gomes a shot if Gomes was outshining everyone in front of him during training.

Managers are not going to refuse picking players who can win them games and keep them in their job
Said this further up but people are doing mental gymnastics to try and spin some sort of conspiracy as to why "one of the hottest prospects in world football" has been allowed to leave the club. It's simple, any of the questions or excuses people are coming up with, just answer yourself with 'if he was good enough'.

He didn't play enough - he would if he was good enough.
He only played 19 minutes in the first team - he would have played more if he was good enough

You guys can fill in the rest.
Common now, it happens every time at every club. Chong agreed early, I'm talking about the final year or so of a contract.

The exact same thing happened with Pogba first time around. He was clearly the most capable to fill an injury gap but because he wasn't signing a new contract and was ready to leave in February so SAF refused to play him for the rest of the season. Hudson Odoi was pushed aside at Chelsea until he signed a new contract, then suddenly started playing again once the contract was signed. You need to be incredibly naive to think otherwise, this is how it goes.

Clearly no one is saying that Gomes would be so important to the team right away that the manager has to play him, because no 19 year old is ever at that level. The point is that you recognize they have the potential to win you things years down the line so you give them matches when you can, keep them developing, and then they repay you in a few years' time.

This is also what's happened with McT. He signs a contract and all of a sudden Matic returns as the number 1 choice and starts performing really well. What surprises me is how naive some of our fans are. Meritocracy aside, if we can do it for McT I don’t know why we can’t do it for Gomes. Ole clearly made the decision in January when he brought Bruno that he wasn’t going to do for Gomes what he’s done for McT. Can't say whether I think it's right or wrong as I don't know what Gomes is asking for, but the situation is obvious.

Then again Ole has publically said recently that he sees Pogba and Bruno playing in each side of a diamond, which opens up a position in the number 10 role behind two wide forwards. That would be a perfect role for Gomes and maybe that comment by Ole was for Gomes or another potential number 10 as much as it was to enable Pogba and Bruno to play together.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe he just looked dog shit in training? Say what you want about Ole but he has proven with Greenwood, McTominay, Tuanzebe & even Chong that he’s willing to give the reserve lads a chance. Greenwood & McTominay took their chance. Gomes looked piss poor every time he got a game, even against Astana who are probably lower than League 2 level.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greed unfortunately. He'd not shown it for the first team, and his people messed it up for him, as he wasn't showing the quality required to make us really feel that we need to bow down to his demands. We've got plenty of talent in front of him, and he clearly wasn't doing what was required to get more of a look in.

Always rated him high, he's been a sensational talent for us at the lower levels and I'm sad its ending like this, but its far from the end of the world and I won't be losing too much sleep over it even if he ends up at Chelsea, even if I'd hate to see that coming.
He won’t get games for Chelsea anyway. Ziyech arriving, Havertz rumoured & they already have Barkley, Mount & RLC that like the #10 role. He’d be even worse off than he was here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Imagine if losing Gomes because of weak contract (right or wrong decision, we will see) will be followed by new 5 years 100k contract for Lingard.
If that day comes twitter will be fun

prateik

The hype around him is hilarious..
He played well in the second tier of the reserves league..

Is he crazy highly rated on Fifa or FM? That would explain the fandom.. because his performances for the first team certainly don't.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's a shame. I'm sure he would get plenty games next season if he stays since Lingard is likely going to leave. To keep it positive, remind yourself that we still have Hannibal and both are playing in the similar position.

Nikelesh Reddy

Obviously he’s desperate to play first team football and realistically he can’t break into the first team anytime soon,so I guess it’s understandable that he wants to leave.All the best to the lad,hopefully he joins a club where he can play regularly...

kundalini

A lot of things have to fall into place for a player to come through the youth system to make say 50+ PL starts for United; having a manager that believes in the player, getting opportunities to play, performing at a high standard when given the chance, the young player being willing to show patience, the club not investing large sums in a glamorous new signing for the same position. On balance, it looks to me as though Solskjaer didn't view Gomes as a player who could help the team this season, or in the near future, hence the signing of Bruno Fernandes.

I would have liked to see Angel get more starts in the Europa League and domestic Cup competitions this season, though his performances to date didn't suggest to me that he deserved playing time in the PL. For him to gets PL starts ahead of Lingard, Pereira or Mata, Angel needed to have a clear impact (goals/assists) in the Europa League. He doesn't offer enough in terms of work-rate, height, strength, defensive contribution etc, to get selected unless he is creating more chances and/or scoring more goals than his rivals. Not only did he fail to get a goal or assist in his 3 starts, the team only scored 2 goals while Angel was on the pitch, one of those being a deflected shot from Jesse Lingard.

I'm a bit surprised he didn't opt to sign a new contract then go out on loan for a couple of seasons to demonstrate his ability, before returning to challenge for a place in the team. The financial offer from United seems appropriate, perhaps even generous, for a player who doesn't feature in the PL at the moment.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how he does elsewhere.

GazTheLegend

A player that has played hardly any minutes at all demanding more than 25 grand a week is fecking crazy but that's the world we are in I suppose

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I never understand the incessant need to bash talented young players who turn down contracts for better play. The same things being stated in here as about Angel gomes are the same that were brought out about Paul Pogba. They were also all wrong. It simply clear the coaching staff don't currently believe in Gomes as much as he believes in himself. That is why they haven't given him that many chances. If he was really under performing in training he would have been dropped form first team training a while ago. This thing happens at elite clubs all the time, For they can't always keep nor give a chance to all the top young talents they produce or have on their books. It happened with Sancho at City. Happened with Pogba here. KDB and Ake at Chelsea. Now its sadly Angel's turn.

We will simply find out in the future if he can prove our coaching staff wrong by making a huge impact else where if he gets a proper chances that he is seeking.

Cassidy

I never understand the incessant need to bash talented young players who turn down contracts for better play. The same things being stated in here as about Angel gomes are the same that were brought out about Paul Pogba. They were also all wrong. It simply clear the coaching staff don't currently believe in Gomes as much as he believes in himself. That is why they haven't given him that many chances. If he was really under performing in training he would have been dropped form first team training a while ago. This thing happens at elite clubs all the time, For they can't always keep nor give a chance to all the top young talents they produce or have on their books. It happened with Sancho at City. Happened with Pogba here. KDB and Ake at Chelsea. Now its sadly Angel's turn.

We will simply find out in the future if he can prove our coaching staff wrong by making a huge impact else where if he gets a proper chances that he is seeking.
Pretty much

Cassidy

A player that has played hardly any minutes at all demanding more than 25 grand a week is fecking crazy but that's the world we are in I suppose
He didn't demand more, he demanded playing time and we didn't give it to him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We offered £25K a week rising to £30K apparently, his 'team' wanted double that. Quite simply he's not worth it, he hasn't show to be worth it. Some other club will take a punt, thinking they can get £15-20M when they sell him after 2 seasons.
I will not be surprised at all if he signs for another club on far less than 25k a week. I bet he turned down any deal we offered because he wasn't convinced our staff believe in him enough

Prodigal7

He won’t get games for Chelsea anyway. Ziyech arriving, Havertz rumoured & they already have Barkley, Mount & RLC that like the #10 role.

fair point. But I think whether we like it or not, Chelsea have raised the financial bar in terms of paying for unproven talent and we either choose to match it or not. Given that we’re the strongest financially then we should be happy to play that game now.

25000 pw is a fraction of what Hudson Odou earns and no doubt that’s why Chelsea are in for him with a bigger pay packet.

Gasolin

Hindsight.... at the same stage when their contacts ran down their situations were extremely similar.
No, very different, again you seem to love the guy but he's not shown enough, Pogba we wanted him to stay badly but Raiola was the issue. I'd say here we wanted Gomes to stay but the contract was not going to be a huge contract, and it was already a great one for a youngster.

And don't tell me Gomes will turn out to be world class, nobody knows, but he did not convince is the reality.

Furthermore, we have Mejbri coming up. He's proven, and he has a much higher ceiling than Gomes. He's the one we're waiting to groom for that 10 role.

Gasolin

He demanded more. that was the core issue. Playing time is never an issue with Ole as long as you convince, we have Greenwood playing, Williams playing, etc... those guys are in the same age bracket. We talk about preparing Mejbri to come in. Playing time is never an issue with a manager like Ole if you convince him you're good enough.

Cassidy

He demanded more. that was the core issue. Playing time is never an issue with Ole as long as you convince, we have Greenwood playing, Williams playing, etc... those guys are in the same age bracket. We talk about preparing Mejbri to come in. Playing time is never an issue with a manager like Ole if you convince him you're good enough.
:lol: Now show your source.

Its was clear from the last contract we gave him that if he didn't see improvement in playing time by the end of it he would not be signing.

Cassidy

No, very different, again you seem to love the guy but he's not shown enough, Pogba we wanted him to stay badly but Raiola was the issue. I'd say here we wanted Gomes to stay but the contract was not going to be a huge contract, and it was already a great one for a youngster.

And don't tell me Gomes will turn out to be world class, nobody knows, but he did not convince is the reality.

Furthermore, we have Mejbri coming up. He's proven, and he has a much higher ceiling than Gomes. He's the one we're waiting to groom for that 10 role.
:lol: yes nothing to do with not sorting out his contract earlier and then proceeding to play Park and Fabio in midfield ahead of him.

Mejbri hasn't done anything that Gomes hasn't at the same level but now he is proven? Heard it all now :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Common now, it happens every time at every club. Chong agreed early, I'm talking about the final year or so of a contract.

The exact same thing happened with Pogba first time around. He was clearly the most capable to fill an injury gap but because he wasn't signing a new contract and was ready to leave in February so SAF refused to play him for the rest of the season. Hudson Odoi was pushed aside at Chelsea until he signed a new contract, then suddenly started playing again once the contract was signed. You need to be incredibly naive to think otherwise, this is how it goes.

Clearly no one is saying that Gomes would be so important to the team right away that the manager has to play him, because no 19 year old is ever at that level. The point is that you recognize they have the potential to win you things years down the line so you give them matches when you can, keep them developing, and then they repay you in a few years' time.

This is also what's happened with McT. He signs a contract and all of a sudden Matic returns as the number 1 choice and starts performing really well. What surprises me is how naive some of our fans are. Meritocracy aside, if we can do it for McT I don’t know why we can’t do it for Gomes. Ole clearly made the decision in January when he brought Bruno that he wasn’t going to do for Gomes what he’s done for McT. Can't say whether I think it's right or wrong as I don't know what Gomes is asking for, but the situation is obvious.

Then again Ole has publically said recently that he sees Pogba and Bruno playing in each side of a diamond, which opens up a position in the number 10 role behind two wide forwards. That would be a perfect role for Gomes and maybe that comment by Ole was for Gomes or another potential number 10 as much as it was to enable Pogba and Bruno to play together.

Pogba played more for Utd when it was clear he was off than he had previous same for Chong .

The only reason Lingard and Pereira were playing over Gomes is they showed Ole more in training every day and that is all there is to it whether you like it or not .

Ole has proven he is not afraid to play young players with Greenwood and Williams to name two .

He has shown he is willing to drop and sell established players if he feels younger less experienced players will be better .

He has shown he will pick players whose contracts are running down because they deserve to play based on what he witnesses every day .

There is no logical explanation therefore for Gomes not playing other than he was not doing enough to get games at this club .

Whatever Gomes does or doesn't do in the future won't change the fact that he just did not do enough to get more games at Utd .

If he was performing better than Lingard and Co during training he would have played under Ole and he obviously wasn't

TyNi07

A little gutted that Gomes couldn't fulfil his potential at United. Wish him all the best whichever club he goes to. Still hoping he signs at the last minute.

Cassidy

Pogba played more for Utd when it was clear he was off than he had previous same for Chong .

The only reason Lingard and Pereira were playing over Gomes is they showed Ole more in training every day and that is all there is to it whether you like it or not .

Ole has proven he is not afraid to play young players with Greenwood and Williams to name two .

He has shown he is willing to drop and sell established players if he feels younger less experienced players will be better .

He has shown he will pick players whose contracts are running down because they deserve to play based on what he witnesses every day .

There is no logical explanation therefore for Gomes not playing other than he was not doing enough to get games at this club .

Whatever Gomes does or doesn't do in the future won't change the fact that he just did not do enough to get more games at Utd .

If he was performing better than Lingard and Co during training he would have played under Ole and he obviously wasn't
Nicky Butt said plenty of times that they wanted to hold him back so he can develop more physically. Pretty sure its his height/build and not that he can't perform better than Lingard in training.

lsd

The Oracle
Nicky Butt said plenty of times that they wanted to hold him back so he can develop more physically. Pretty sure its his height/build and not that he can't perform better than Lingard in training.

I'm pretty sure he would be playing under Ole if he was good enough .

The excuses people are making here are madness . Ole whose job at this club his dream job remember is under pressure yet for some reason he refuses to play one youngster while at the same time giving out chances to other youngsters including Chong who had threatened to leave and whose build is clearly an issue at present.

What does it take to just accept the logical conclusion ?

Cassidy

I'm pretty sure he would be playing under Ole if he was good enough .

The excuses people are making here are madness . Ole whose job at this club his dream job remember is under pressure yet for some reason he refuses to play one youngster while at the same time giving out chances to other youngsters including Chong who had threatened to leave and whose build is clearly an issue at present.

What does it take to just accept the logical conclusion ?
Probably because we saw him outperform certain players in preaseaaon and even then Ole didn't give him a lot of minutes...

But I guess the logical reason there was that he wasnt good enough for preseaaon too. Lets ignore what our head of youth development said

Mickson

:lol: yes nothing to do with not sorting out his contract earlier and then proceeding to play Park and Fabio in midfield ahead of him.

Mejbri hasn't done anything that Gomes hasn't at the same level but now he is proven? Heard it all now :lol:
Very funny because Mejbri has been pretty underwhelming for our...U18!!!! (I rate Mejbri though).

lsd

The Oracle
Probably because we saw him outperform certain players in preaseaaon and even then Ole didn't give him a lot of minutes...

But I guess the logical reason there was that he wasnt good enough for preseaaon too. Lets ignore what our head of youth development said

Oh ok what you saw in preseason is more than Ole sees every day as after all he is only the first team manager and not a fan or youth team employee.

Makes sense

USREDEVIL

Dude is going to be 20 in a few weeks. Lingard 2.0? Meaning he's got some potential but needs to turn it into consistent first team performances before it's too late. I know he hasn't had a ton but as others have mentioned, his first team appearances haven't been all that and maybe his training isn't setting the world alight either.

mu4c_20le

Very funny because Mejbri has been pretty underwhelming for our...U18!!!! (I rate Mejbri though).
Disagree, I think Mejbri is head and shoulders above the rest at U18, and has already had a hand in a couple of goals in the U23s. He is pretty similar to Gomes so I wouldn't be surprised if the club decided to invest in him instead.

Last edited:
no issue at all with him leaving for more playing time. He’s not going to get it at United. If he goes to a top club now, I.e Chelsea he’s very unlikely to ever make it. He needs to go to a club where he can get 25 games a year for the next couple of seasons, and maybe then he might get a bigger move.

however I doubt that this happens, I don’t imagine we are going to miss him.

LoneStar

The hype around him is hilarious..
He played well in the second tier of the reserves league..

Is he crazy highly rated on Fifa or FM? That would explain the fandom.. because his performances for the first team certainly don't.
Yup, has good potential on Fifa haha

Cassidy

Oh ok what you saw in preseason is more than Ole sees every day as after all he is only the first team manager and not a fan or youth team employee.

Makes sense
No preseason showed us (Gomes hot a total of 45 mins) that Ole prioritised Lingard and Mata over him and that is wasn’t based on performance.

During the season is another matter

BringOnUnited

At least other players will see this and know the club aren't always bluffing on negotiations, might be easier to sign youngsters up on new contracts quicker.

Mickson

Disagree, I think Mejbri is head and shoulders above the rest at U18, and has already had a hand in a couple of goals in the U23s. He is pretty similar to Gomes so I wouldn't be surprised if the club decided to invest in him instead.
Maybe he is in ability but he hasn't been great for our U18 when he actually has been playing, which is why I wrote U18 and not U23. I can remember at least 2-3 goals where he lost the ball in midfield and we conceded.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course it's a shame he will leave the club if you have followed his progres in the last years.

Of course don't know what happens behind the scenes because either he isn't good enough (in training) or there must be other reasons why he can't get the minutes of Mata/Lingard/A.Pereira.

I can't wait learn his new club.

Alemar

I have just realised that Gomes is available to play tomorrow, even if he doesn’t sign an extension.

Kostov

Do people feel better about this situation if they spout bollocks like how he was piss poor when he got “chances”? The kid barely played and he was never poor. Not everyone is Greenwood.

lsd

The Oracle
Do people feel better about this situation if they spout bollocks like how he was piss poor when he got “chances”? The kid barely played and he was never poor. Not everyone is Greenwood.

Do they feel better saying he was the second coming and Ole just ignored him out of spite ?