Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

edcunited1878

Do people feel better about this situation if they spout bollocks like how he was piss poor when he got “chances”? The kid barely played and he was never poor. Not everyone is Greenwood.
He didn't get enough senior match chances, but he has a chance every day in training for the past year or two or at least since Ole and staff were here. And Carrick and McKenna preceded Ole and spent time with the academy/youth players, so they have some idea of Gomes. He went to preseason tour with the first team and probably wouldn't have if they didn't have a plan for him that extended past 6/7 months.

Tel074

The hype around him is hilarious..
He played well in the second tier of the reserves league..

Is he crazy highly rated on Fifa or FM? That would explain the fandom.. because his performances for the first team certainly don't.

It's just classic cafe . Chatting shit about a player that 99% have never seen play a single live game .
Gomes has talent there is no doubting that but you need more than talent to make it with the bigboys .
I've seen the kid play on a few occasions and at junior level he looked very good but anytime I've seen him in the first team or against under 23,s he hasn't been as great .
I personally hope he has a great career but I'd be very suprised if he makes it at a big club

AFC NimbleThumb

None of us are privy to what happens at the training ground but if he has been unable to dislodge the mighty Andreas & Lingard then something isn’t quite right.

He definitely should have seen more game time this season, whose fault it is that he didn’t will remain unknown.

SuperiorXI

None of us are privy to what happens at the training ground but if he has been unable to dislodge the mighty Andreas & Lingard then something isn’t quite right.

He definitely should have seen more game time this season, whose fault it is that he didn’t will remain unknown.
He may have been good enough, but refusing to sign a contract is hardly going to put him in contention. At the same time he may have just not been good enough. The only people who really know are behind the scenes.

BaneIsPain

Good luck to Gomes. He will not the first or the last for talented youth to leave the club. Only time will tell if United did the right choice.

Rafaeldagold

He’s much better than Chong, but not sure that’s a reason to keep him if he was asking silly money

SecondFig

It's just classic cafe . Chatting shit about a player that 99% have never seen play a single live game .
Gomes has talent there is no doubting that but you need more than talent to make it with the bigboys .
I've seen the kid play on a few occasions and at junior level he looked very good but anytime I've seen him in the first team or against under 23,s he hasn't been as great .
I personally hope he has a great career but I'd be very suprised if he makes it at a big club
Totally agree. Watched him a fair bit in the reserves/youth teams and to me his progress really stagnated in the last couple of years. Still think he could turn into a good player, and can understand him feeling that he's not got a clear path into the side here - so if he signs for someone like Palace, Wolves, Sheff Utd then fair play to him and all the best. But he'd be mad to sign for Chelsea when they already have so many players competing for those attacking midfield positions.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Pogba played more for Utd when it was clear he was off than he had previous same for Chong .

The only reason Lingard and Pereira were playing over Gomes is they showed Ole more in training every day and that is all there is to it whether you like it or not .

Ole has proven he is not afraid to play young players with Greenwood and Williams to name two .

He has shown he is willing to drop and sell established players if he feels younger less experienced players will be better .

He has shown he will pick players whose contracts are running down because they deserve to play based on what he witnesses every day .

There is no logical explanation therefore for Gomes not playing other than he was not doing enough to get games at this club .

Whatever Gomes does or doesn't do in the future won't change the fact that he just did not do enough to get more games at Utd .

If he was performing better than Lingard and Co during training he would have played under Ole and he obviously wasn't
100% this, it'd do Gomes no harm to read it as well, whilst he's still got time. Now if it's about the money ...

Prodigal7

Pogba played more for Utd when it was clear he was off than he had previous same for Chong .

The only reason Lingard and Pereira were playing over Gomes is they showed Ole more in training every day and that is all there is to it whether you like it or not .

Ole has proven he is not afraid to play young players with Greenwood and Williams to name two .

He has shown he is willing to drop and sell established players if he feels younger less experienced players will be better .

He has shown he will pick players whose contracts are running down because they deserve to play based on what he witnesses every day .

There is no logical explanation therefore for Gomes not playing other than he was not doing enough to get games at this club .

Whatever Gomes does or doesn't do in the future won't change the fact that he just did not do enough to get more games at Utd .

If he was performing better than Lingard and Co during training he would have played under Ole and he obviously wasn't
It was a while ago now so perhaps I’m forgetting but that’s definitely not how I remember it. I remember Fabio and Park playing instead of him. As for Chong, we can’t know how contract negotiations were going when he was getting some squad experience.

The rest seems like selectively designed narrative whilst ignoring the examples I provided.

I stand by the points in my previous post.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why isn't the manager involved in talks with him? Surely some chat about how he envisions him in the team would help smoothen the deal if he really thinks Gomes is good.

prateik

Why isn't the manager involved in talks with him? Surely some chat about how he envisions him in the team would help smoothen the deal if he really thinks Gomes is good.
What makes you think Ole hasnt spoken to the player?

I'm sure Gomes knows what Ole thinks of him and what role he will be offered if he signs a new contract.

He is either not getting the role he wants or not getting the money his agent wants.. or both.

King Andow

I don't get this "probably is shit in training" talk. What matters is what you do on the pitch. He should've got the majority if not all of Pereira and Lingard's minutes this season because they wasted all of their chances (and had years for that) and have no future here, same with Mata. Play him and see what he can do. He's not good enough? Get rid. He's ok? Give him a place in the squad. We don't know the answer because even though he was impressive in pre-season and good in the few times we saw him play at his position, he got like 5 games, without Bruno and Pogba, to sit and watch Jesse Lingard, Andreas Pereira and a finished Juan Mata. Terrible mismanaged, asking for big money or not, should've got at least a loan if he wasn't going to play in the first team. Good luck.

VictoriaRed

Maybe he's just not good enough in the eyes of the coaches. Maybe he'll make the grade, but hey, as many posters have said, we are not privy to what happens on a day-to-day basis. Maybe he's a shite trainer, who knows. The times I've seen him, there hasn't been anything that's really stood out for me. I feel that when you get a chance in the 1st team, you have to snatch it (see Williams/McT) as good examples.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Seems a bit similar to the Tariq Lamprey situation with us. He was a very highly rated back who'd been at Chelsea since he was 7. He's also a tiny person like Gomes.

His contact would've been up today but he didn't sign any of the extensions we offered. He said it was because he had Azpiligueta and Reece James in front of him and although Lampard did pick him in the league against Arsenal, he was not sure he'd get too many more chances in the near future as Azpi is never injured and James is also very highly rated and a couple of years older.

We ended up flogging him on the cheap in January to Brighton. He'll play against you lot tonight.

Kostov

He didn't get enough senior match chances, but he has a chance every day in training for the past year or two or at least since Ole and staff were here. And Carrick and McKenna preceded Ole and spent time with the academy/youth players, so they have some idea of Gomes. He went to preseason tour with the first team and probably wouldn't have if they didn't have a plan for him that extended past 6/7 months.
Yeah impressing at training does play a part and I am sure they watch them train every day, makes me wonder how Lingard performs in training for example to get so many chances despite being 1/10 most matches he has played this season. Gomes also did very well on pre-season tour last year I remember while Lingard was appalling yet Ole started the season with the latter. And yeah I think actual matches give the better idea on whether someone can contribute.

Relfy

It will always be a shame to see one of our brightest talents choose to go elsewhere, however in this instance if the club has offered a good contract, offered a progression plan to the first team and the player still refuses then you have to part ways. He has reportedly been offered 25k p/w and I have no doubt we had a plan set out for him, whether that was via a loan next season or more minutes. If he thinks (or is being advised) that he can get a better offer elsewhere then good luck to him and I wish him well.

Kostov

Do they feel better saying he was the second coming and Ole just ignored him out of spite ?
Nobody says he was the second coming, you don't have to be to get minutes before the dross most of our number 10s put up this season. Lingard has recorded 30 fecking appearances this season, while the kid got 8. I don't think it's out of spite, but that is shocking mismanagement of a very talented kid.

EC689908

While its disappointing Gomes has decided to move on, I think this type of thing will be more common over the next few years, mainly for the more hyped up kids at the bigger clubs. Sancho is the obvious example, but if these players aren't given a reasonable chance in the first team by the time they're 19/20, they'll be looking to move on. I just hope Gomes goes somewhere where he will actually get that first team football and not swap our bench/reserves for another team's bench/reserves. You would think that Chelsea (who is the main team I've seen him linked with) would be unlikely to give him much football considering the strength they have in his position (especially if they do sign Havertz although I'm not that convinced they will). He could be another Pogba but it should be remembered that Pogba is one of the exceptions, not the rule.

imamuppet

This is looking like a scenario that is happening more and more in todays game.

Its pretty obvious his "advisors" are the ones who are leading Gomes down which ever path he chooses to take.

Manchester United seem to have made it clear that he is valued but there are no guarantees regards progression to the first team and that is exactly how it should be!

Oles comments in the Brighton presser were not accidental.

It is up to Gomes to decide who wants his best interests, Manchester United or his "advisors".

All the talk about talent, mentality, desire, physicality etc is a side show.

Its a simple question,

"Do you want to play for Manchester United or not ?"

No strings attached, the type of players we want, are those who will "bleed" for the club ...........

Ryan Bobson

If the club rated him they would of reached some agreement , clearly they didnt , now whose this Barcelona wonder kid we are supposed to be signing ?

Flexdegea

If the club rated him they would of reached some agreement , clearly they didnt , now whose this Barcelona wonder kid we are supposed to be signing ?

They rate him enough to have offered him in my eyes a lucrative contract,considering the times at the moment, and the fact he barely featured in any first time football.

I dont think it be wise to offer any more.

Untd55

I'm unsure there were many opportunities to experiment / play an untested player in Gomes, we were chasing top four pretty early on this season to be fair.

The tweet above says he is leaving because he has been offered more money elsewhere anyway.
Considering how bad Lingard and Pereira have been, I would say there were plenty of opportunities to try something different. I am not saying it would have worked, but Solskjaer didn't even try it. To be honest, it is almost exactly what happened with Pogba. A weak midfield where he wasn't given any chances, even though he was possibly better than those who were playing in the team at the time.

Cleverley was to Pogba what Lingard is to Gomes.

I would understand him not getting many games if we had Fernandes then, but we didn't. I would understand if we had someone who was half the player of Fernandes, but we didn't. We had Lingard, who scores and assists about once a season, and Periera who does about the same.

I just don't see how we could have possibly been worse with Gomes playing a few games ahead of them.

I know the tweet says that, but the only person who really knows why he is leaving is Gomes. He may very well be getting more, but he may also get more opportunities, which may have swung it. We will find out whether he gets more chances next season.

youngrell

His injury record this season has contributed massively to his lack of game time, too. There have been times when there was a glaring hole in the match day squad for him to fill but he was either ill or injured. Really bad timing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seems a bit similar to the Tariq Lamprey situation with us. He was a very highly rated back who'd been at Chelsea since he was 7. He's also a tiny person like Gomes.

His contact would've been up today but he didn't sign any of the extensions we offered. He said it was because he had Azpiligueta and Reece James in front of him and although Lampard did pick him in the league against Arsenal, he was not sure he'd get too many more chances in the near future as Azpi is never injured and James is also very highly rated and a couple of years older.

We ended up flogging him on the cheap in January to Brighton. He'll play against you lot tonight.
He looked like a good little player when I watched him the other day.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ole hasn't been shy in playing youngsters. There must be something else to it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is a fact I've been trying to shout out in this thread, but repeatedly have been torn to shreds.

It's clear to me that we have set our price for what we believe he is worth, he thinks his worth more. Simple answer is to wave him goodbye and move on.

There is no better club right now for giving opportunities to youth prospects, Chelsea probably come a close second. But if he hasn't been able to break through to the first team since his first appearance three years ago under Giggs then something is wrong, he hasn't kicked on.

arthurka

Hannibal Mejbri is coming through. He'll hit much higher heights than Angel ever will.
I must agree. I guess this might have something to do with it. What to do if a player who isn't ready to start games or hasn't shown or taken his chances when they came doesn't sign a contract worth 100k a month.. Hope he does well where he goes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s a slightly built midget and the club have likely explained to him that they don’t see anything other than a Lingard style development plan which won’t see him near the first team for another 3+ years.

From his point of view, he might just be one of those players that wants his career to get started and to play in meaningful matches and develop within a first team environment and he’s happy to move to a lesser club on lower wages to achieve that.

It’s just one those those things, the club and the player can’t offer each other what they require at the moment. Its a shame and he’s a talented lad but I‘d be much more gutted if we lost a talent like Greenwood or a player like McTominay, less technical but much more to offer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s going to be funny when he turns up to training tomorrow when he’s no longer contracted to the club. Again.

AshRK

He is a talented kid but is he talented like foden or Greenwood, I don't think so. Ole wanted to keep him but he would not be going above and beyond to keep him. All the best to him. Hope he makes a wise choice and not regret it later like Morrison or Januzaj or macheda.

AFC NimbleThumb

A lot of conjecture & assumption in this thread.

Best of luck to the lad.

For those saying he obviously wasn’t doing it in training; why is OgS offering contracts to underperformers. . . He’s a talent whose seen no real first team opportunities while Andreas, Lingard & Co. turn in poor performances consistently.

lsd

The Oracle
A lot of conjecture & assumption in this thread.

Best of luck to the lad.

For those saying he obviously wasn’t doing it in training; why is OgS offering contracts to underperformers. . . He’s a talent whose seen no real first team opportunities while Andreas, Lingard & Co. turn in poor performances consistently.

Most likely because they think he may be ready in the future but not now

Thiagoal

I find it odd that some of these top bracket young talents aren’t sent out on loan more. Firstly it’ll give them game time and the chance to prove they’re ready and secondly, if they struggle they’d be more likely to accept a new contract. It seems Gomes’ team has a very high opinion of him which can in no way be quantified at the moment.

GazTheLegend

Lampard was asked about him in today's press conference, shut down any move to Chelsea.
Interesting but not surprising.

I still think he's off to Italy, his agent was over there in December chatting to Inter representatives.