Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

roseguy64

I find it odd that some of these top bracket young talents aren’t sent out on loan more. Firstly it’ll give them game time and the chance to prove they’re ready and secondly, if they struggle they’d be more likely to accept a new contract. It seems Gomes’ team has a very high opinion of him which can in no way be quantified at the moment.
I think we'd have sent him on loan this season if he'd signed the contract like Greenwood did.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The last thing I’m gonna do is get into a back & forth about a 30 minute performance from Andreas bloody Periera :lol:

You rated it highly, great - now let’s move on & enjoy the night; we won 3-0 & Andreas shouldn’t be starting meaningful games going forward.
100% agree on that mate, i'm probably just from a different generation and I can't get my head around the need to criticise any player after a convincing 0-3 away win.

roseguy64

100% agree on that mate, i'm probably just from a different generation and I can't get my head around the need to criticise any player after a convincing 0-3 away win.
Agreed. Andreas made some errors but he also did some good things otherwise. This isn't the Andreas performance one should use if you want to tear him down.

Josep Dowling

United don’t need to bow down to any youngster demanding first team football. A simple case of a player getting too big for his boots and being poorly advised by his agent. He will no doubt get a big sign on fee to whoever he joins but had he made it at United the chances are his wages would be much more in years to come.

He hasn’t been given many chances but when he has he’s been poor, the same as Chong. Our two most hyped up youth prospects and both haven’t lived up to the hype. Maybe these players need to focus on making it as a first team footballer before demanding ridiculous pay rises?

Woodzy

I can’t help but assume he’s going to British club without it being this late in the day. A club abroad could have signed him on a pre-contract months ago, right?

JohnnyLaw

Talent wise, I don't consider him on par with Pogba, but similar things were said when he moved to Juve when they had Marchisio, Vidal and Pirlo.
Apart from those three he only had Padoin to compete with in a three in midfield set up so Pogba was always going to get plenty of opportunities.
Those Chelsea players are just(!) the ones that Angel will be in direct competition with for 1 or 2 spots in the eleven. I didn’t even mention Jorginho, Kanté and Gilmour who’ll also occupy spots.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Good player, shame it's not worked out. How good? Guess we will find out.

He'll need to stick in some graft. I'll be interested to see where he ends up and what offers he has.

Interested to see if Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Utd, Everton might be watching on. Even Arsenal...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Apart from those three he only had Padoin to compete with in a three in midfield set up so Pogba was always going to get plenty of opportunities.
Those Chelsea players are just(!) the ones that Angel will be in direct competition with for 1 or 2 spots in the eleven. I didn’t even mention Jorginho, Kanté and Gilmour who’ll also occupy spots.
I think hed5be daft to consider Chelsea tbf...it's a huge gamble at the very least.

spiriticon

They want him?
I don't know. The last rumour I heard was Barca, but I don't think he'll get a lot of minutes there.

The only reason I mentioned Dortmund is that Sancho might be leaving so there may be an opportunity.

Last edited:

Barnslig

No official goodbye from Gomes himself or the club? Would've expected at least one of those "Gomes has been released at the end of his contract" statements.

Rish Sawhney

I like his skills and technique, I think he'd be a late bloomer and be a very good player by the time he's 23 and I think the club thinks the same. I can understand him not accepting that and trying to fast track his career though seeing as others from his age group (wingers mostly) have already got big contracts and are first team players at big clubs.

OneUnited24

No official goodbye from Gomes himself or the club? Would've expected at least one of those "Gomes has been released at the end of his contract" statements.
Days still young... I mean here in Australia its almost over but my point stands

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Word is he has not agreed to join any club. A Fellaini could still happen.

Barnslig

Word is he has not agreed to join any club. A Fellaini could still happen.
I touched on it in the Greenwood thread, but has any player let his contract run out, only to turn around and sign a new contract after having been a "free agent" for any amount of time?

Red_toad

Why would the club annouce they've released a player from a contract that doesn't exist anymore? Not having a contract means you don't need releasing...

pacifictheme

Why would the club annouce they've released a player from a contract that doesn't exist anymore? Not having a contract means you don't need releasing...
Its just quite a common thing to put a small statement out for I'd say.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If he hasn't signed for anyone else and wants to accept the offer we made him, couldn't we just offer him less than what we were willing to give him a few days ago?

I know I'm changing my tune on this, but without another club announcing him, this looks like he's been really poorly advised.

youngrell

If he hasn't signed for anyone else and wants to accept the offer we made him, couldn't we just offer him less than what we were willing to give him a few days ago?

I know I'm changing my tune on this, but without another club announcing him, this looks like he's been really poorly advised.
I think if he planned to sign with us at any point, then waiting until now would be dumb no matter what because he's missed out on months of an improved contract.

flappyjay

Wasn't it the buy-out clause that ended, giving Everton the opportunity to ask for a higher price?
Fellaini's last contract with us, there was a situation where he could have walked for free. The confusion is was he free and then signed the new contract or did we renew before free agency.

Barnslig

Fellaini's last contract with us, there was a situation where he could have walked for free. The confusion is was he free and then signed the new contract or did we renew before free agency.
Ah true, my bad. I can't recall, my brain has erased most memories of Fellaini in a United jersey.

Nick7

I think he signed the contract on June 30th. so it didn't expire

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m sorry but if you can’t break into the first team rotation at United now, as an academy player, when you are about to turn
20; then you are either not ready, or not good enough. Because if he was either, Ole would’ve played him. He’s given so many minutes and opportunities to academy players, that nearly half our match day squads are from the youth team at this point.

So Gomes either isn’t good enough, or he needs to knuckle down and work harder to prove he’s ready to seriously challenge as a squad player. Seeing as the club offered him a generous contract, it’s clearly the latter. Which means Gomes either doesn’t think he’s capable of dislodging the players ahead of him, which is a dispiriting lack of confidence and ambition; or he thinks he’s good enough to already play, which clearly the coaching staff disagree with, and he isn’t willing to fight for that place. Which just reeks of delusion or entitlement.

In every instance, I back the club on this one. They’ve offered a good contract, and he’s turned it down. He has the best pathway to first team football for any big club in the PL at United. The club shouldn’t be held to ransom, he’s hardly a generational talent. You wouldn’t even say he’s one of the top talents of his age group. He’s a great technician who excelled in youth football, but due to his tiny stature and mentality, has a lot of question marks about him at senior level.

People have bemoaned Ole’s treatment of him, but the manager’s handling of young players has been beyond reproach. He’s given those deserving plenty of minutes. If we’d offered him 50k or so, you just have another Januzaj situation. That was way too much for Adnan, and he’d done ten times more at first team level than Angel. Gomes has literally accomplished nothing in senior football. He’s all reputation, hype, and potential.

If he leaves and makes it big elsewhere, he’ll be vindicated by the move. But anything less than that, and it’ll be a failure. If he’s stayed here, where he is familiar, known, appreciated, and the club believes in him, he’d have great prospects if he worked hard.

Now he’s chosen to leave, I’m really not fussed. I think he’s been poorly advised. We’ll see what becomes of him. Wish him luck, but won’t be casting whistful glances in his direction. Greenwood and Garner are both much bigger talents. And give it another 12 months and I think Gomes would’ve been overtaken in the first team race by Mejbri too. Another bigger talent.

Alemar

Just checked official website - Angel is still listed as a first team player...

0le

I’m sorry but if you can’t break into the first team rotation at United now, as an academy player, when you are about to turn
20; then you are either not ready, or not good enough. Because if he was either, Ole would’ve played him. He’s given so many minutes and opportunities to academy players, that nearly half our match day squads are from the youth team at this point.

So Gomes either isn’t good enough, or he needs to knuckle down and work harder to prove he’s ready to seriously challenge as a squad player. Seeing as the club offered him a generous contract, it’s clearly the latter. Which means Gomes either doesn’t think he’s capable of dislodging the players ahead of him, which is a dispiriting lack of confidence and ambition; or he thinks he’s good enough to already play, which clearly the coaching staff disagree with, and he isn’t willing to fight for that place. Which just reeks of delusion or entitlement.

In every instance, I back the club on this one. They’ve offered a good contract, and he’s turned it down. He has the best pathway to first team football for any big club in the PL at United. The club shouldn’t be held to ransom, he’s hardly a generational talent. You wouldn’t even say he’s one of the top talents of his age group. He’s a great technician who excelled in youth football, but due to his tiny stature and mentality, has a lot of question marks about him at senior level.

People have bemoaned Ole’s treatment of him, but the manager’s handling of young players has been beyond reproach. He’s given those deserving plenty of minutes. If we’d offered him 50k or so, you just have another Januzaj situation. That was way too much for Adnan, and he’d done ten times more at first team level than Angel. Gomes has literally accomplished nothing in senior football. He’s all reputation, hype, and potential.

If he leaves and makes it big elsewhere, he’ll be vindicated by the move. But anything less than that, and it’ll be a failure. If he’s stayed here, where he is familiar, known, appreciated, and the club believes in him, he’d have great prospects if he worked hard.

Now he’s chosen to leave, I’m really not fussed. I think he’s been poorly advised. We’ll see what becomes of him. Wish him luck, but won’t be casting whistful glances in his direction. Greenwood and Garner are both much bigger talents. And give it another 12 months and I think Gomes would’ve been overtaken in the first team race by Mejbri too. Another bigger talent.
Yeah, I think this summarises how I feel too. I am quite disappointed, but I just don't feel much ill towards the club. I've always believed in Ole regarding his approach to the youngsters. I also, like you, do wish Gomes the best, I don't feel much ill towards him. It's his life, his career and ultimately his decision, and I do genuinely wish him a good career.

RedDevil@84

Yeah, I think this summarises how I feel too. I am quite disappointed, but I just don't feel much ill towards the club. I've always believed in Ole regarding his approach to the youngsters. I also, like you, do wish Gomes the best, I don't feel much ill towards him. It's his life, his career and ultimately his decision, and I do genuinely wish him a good career.
It will be ridiculous to hate him for wanting game time. On second thoughts, it will be ridiculous to hate a player who is leaving for whatever reason.

Tiber

Still no announcement? Surely if he’d left, there’d have been a “we wish him well” kind of statement?
Something has been issued

Not really expecting a #thankyou campaign for someone who made zero impact outside of the youth teams thoygh

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We will be able to sign him back in a few years if he does anything. I think the club has been good to him and he was on a big deal from 17-20 which we were willing to improve. I hope he doesn't just go to another PL club only to be sent out on loan because then thats just all about wages and we get sod all for developing him. Then again we take other clubs young players all the time so we cant complain when it happens to us and with his reputation he can probably get big money and games at lots of clubs around europe . Best of luck to him in the next chapter. It'll be fun to see how he does. That grey area between the U23s and first team squad needs fixing whether through loans or options of more years for the club or something though. Im glad we didn't cave and end up paying him the equivalent of first team wages at most PL clubs if he wasn't ready. We've made plenty of mistakes like that recently with Adnan, Wilson, Powell etc

Last edited:

Heardy

Something has been issued

Not really expecting a #thankyou campaign for someone who made zero impact outside of the youth teams thoygh
I guess I’d have still expected something on United a official social media etc. given Ole had answered questions about him