Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I reckon he walked in on Ole taking a shit and Ole's disliked him ever since which is why he barely got a chance.

Sometimes you just don't gel with a person even if they're a really good person.

SteveW

I liked Gomes and would have liked to see him play more. But he definitely didn't earn it this season. He was outshone in the reserves and pretty quiet and risk averse when he got chances in the first team. I think had he been braver on the ball he would have got more chances. He didn't though. Shame.

I've been more interested in Garner and Mejbri recently to be honest. Classy players but also with the size to grow into more natural PL players as the fill out. It will be interesting to see how all 3 fare next season. It's probably time for Garner to go out on loan. Mejbri will likely stay put and I imagine Gomes will go abroad to a less physically intense league.

StephenH

Howson was all smug when ITK on twitter were saying Gomes was signing the contract. Like how he knew it a week before and all. Shows how much these insiders really know. They might get few information here and there but by and large, they are useless. Can't believe people actually pay to listen him
what did I say? I never said he signed, pal.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m sorry but if you can’t break into the first team rotation at United now, as an academy player, when you are about to turn
20; then you are either not ready, or not good enough. Because if he was either, Ole would’ve played him. He’s given so many minutes and opportunities to academy players, that nearly half our match day squads are from the youth team at this point.

So Gomes either isn’t good enough, or he needs to knuckle down and work harder to prove he’s ready to seriously challenge as a squad player. Seeing as the club offered him a generous contract, it’s clearly the latter. Which means Gomes either doesn’t think he’s capable of dislodging the players ahead of him, which is a dispiriting lack of confidence and ambition; or he thinks he’s good enough to already play, which clearly the coaching staff disagree with, and he isn’t willing to fight for that place. Which just reeks of delusion or entitlement.

In every instance, I back the club on this one. They’ve offered a good contract, and he’s turned it down. He has the best pathway to first team football for any big club in the PL at United. The club shouldn’t be held to ransom, he’s hardly a generational talent. You wouldn’t even say he’s one of the top talents of his age group. He’s a great technician who excelled in youth football, but due to his tiny stature and mentality, has a lot of question marks about him at senior level.

People have bemoaned Ole’s treatment of him, but the manager’s handling of young players has been beyond reproach. He’s given those deserving plenty of minutes. If we’d offered him 50k or so, you just have another Januzaj situation. That was way too much for Adnan, and he’d done ten times more at first team level than Angel. Gomes has literally accomplished nothing in senior football. He’s all reputation, hype, and potential.

If he leaves and makes it big elsewhere, he’ll be vindicated by the move. But anything less than that, and it’ll be a failure. If he’s stayed here, where he is familiar, known, appreciated, and the club believes in him, he’d have great prospects if he worked hard.

Now he’s chosen to leave, I’m really not fussed. I think he’s been poorly advised. We’ll see what becomes of him. Wish him luck, but won’t be casting whistful glances in his direction. Greenwood and Garner are both much bigger talents. And give it another 12 months and I think Gomes would’ve been overtaken in the first team race by Mejbri too. Another bigger talent.
Good post.

LoneStar

Everytime he has played for us, he’s looked disappointing for me. No real standout attribute.

I don't watch the reserves, so can’t comment on his performances there, but I don’t think it’s a Pogba situation.

I remember we had hyped Periera as well to crazy levels and look what happened.

HaliRed

I’m sorry but if you can’t break into the first team rotation at United now, as an academy player, when you are about to turn
20; then you are either not ready, or not good enough. Because if he was either, Ole would’ve played him. He’s given so many minutes and opportunities to academy players, that nearly half our match day squads are from the youth team at this point.

So Gomes either isn’t good enough, or he needs to knuckle down and work harder to prove he’s ready to seriously challenge as a squad player. Seeing as the club offered him a generous contract, it’s clearly the latter. Which means Gomes either doesn’t think he’s capable of dislodging the players ahead of him, which is a dispiriting lack of confidence and ambition; or he thinks he’s good enough to already play, which clearly the coaching staff disagree with, and he isn’t willing to fight for that place. Which just reeks of delusion or entitlement.

In every instance, I back the club on this one. They’ve offered a good contract, and he’s turned it down. He has the best pathway to first team football for any big club in the PL at United. The club shouldn’t be held to ransom, he’s hardly a generational talent. You wouldn’t even say he’s one of the top talents of his age group. He’s a great technician who excelled in youth football, but due to his tiny stature and mentality, has a lot of question marks about him at senior level.

People have bemoaned Ole’s treatment of him, but the manager’s handling of young players has been beyond reproach. He’s given those deserving plenty of minutes. If we’d offered him 50k or so, you just have another Januzaj situation. That was way too much for Adnan, and he’d done ten times more at first team level than Angel. Gomes has literally accomplished nothing in senior football. He’s all reputation, hype, and potential.

If he leaves and makes it big elsewhere, he’ll be vindicated by the move. But anything less than that, and it’ll be a failure. If he’s stayed here, where he is familiar, known, appreciated, and the club believes in him, he’d have great prospects if he worked hard.

Now he’s chosen to leave, I’m really not fussed. I think he’s been poorly advised. We’ll see what becomes of him. Wish him luck, but won’t be casting whistful glances in his direction. Greenwood and Garner are both much bigger talents. And give it another 12 months and I think Gomes would’ve been overtaken in the first team race by Mejbri too. Another bigger talent.
I don't understand why people don't see this. He has not been our best player in the reserves, and has done nothing of note in his first team opportunities to justify anything other that the contract United offered to him.

I wish him well, and hope he has a successful career somewhere, as he clearly does not see himself breaking into the first team here.

People blaming this on Lingard/Pereira/Mata blocking his way need a reality check. If you cannot displace the first two (no one gets to say anything bad about Juan!) for a game here and there, then moving on does seem the wise choice for all parties involved.

Prodigal7

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seems a bit fishy that the club are posting news articles that he’s leaving. Normally when this sort of thing happens we just completely ignore it like it’s not happening. Given he’s not signed with anyone else I’m wondering if there’s some sort of conditional agreement with us or something:

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/angel-gomes-leaves-man-utd-after-declining-new-contract-offer
That article is 11 nearly 12 days old, why are you (re)posting it now? Made me think it was something new :(

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Seems a bit fishy that the club are posting news articles that he’s leaving. Normally when this sort of thing happens we just completely ignore it like it’s not happening. Given he’s not signed with anyone else I’m wondering if there’s some sort of conditional agreement with us or something:

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/angel-gomes-leaves-man-utd-after-declining-new-contract-offer
Obviously not. It's just the club being respectful and recognising his talent, and he was a part of the first team squad which usually isn't the case for academy players leaving.

Bondi77

Maybe when Dortmund announce the signing of Bellingham they will announce Angel as well

TrustInOle

So he left us because of lack of chances, but didn't already have a plan in place to make sure he had chances? Hmmmmm, unless I am missing something, his decision doesn't seem very planned out tbh.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It appears he's left entirely for money in that case...

He's quickly looking like a bit of a deluded clown.
Or he isn’t eligible to play for anyone until the new season and thus has no reason to rush into moving from his hometown in the middle of a pandemic.

But of course, no he absolutely must be a money hungry deluded clown.:rolleyes:

georgipep

Or he isn’t eligible to play for anyone until the new season and thus has no reason to rush into moving from his hometown in the middle of a pandemic.

You expect people to THINK before saying/posting stuff? You must be some really deluded clown, are you on Gomes' payroll too?

First time white text. I come in peace

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Yes because signing on with a club means you have immediately up stumps and move to that city. I mean, if Caf posteres were lead to believe, he had so many options coming his way and that we were idiots for letting him go...

Or perhaps, he thought the club were bluffing and now he's literally got to reconsider his options. Problem for him is that he's now painted himself in a pretty shitty light on the basis that he rejected a decent contract offer. Most big clubs are probably going to reconsider him based on the fact that he couldnt crack our first team while other players were given the chance to do so this season.

Putting it lightly, if I were Dortmund, Barcelona, Real, Inter, Juventus etc, i'd be looking at Gomez with reduced interest and certainly wouldnt be offering him much more than what United were willing to do.

Barnslig

It's not weird at all, we've done similar posts/statements about other prospects leaving us at the end of their contracts.

giggslover

Man, wouldn't this guy be perfect for Arsenal?? They could get him cheaper than usual, he is available and they wont be able to attract "big" players if, as it now appears likely, they miss out on Europe all together. He would also have a better chance at first team football.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It is a bit strange that he has left without getting a move lined up. It's very rare that this happens. For his sake, I hope he first goes to an European team rather than English.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Man, wouldn't this guy be perfect for Arsenal?? They could get him cheaper than usual, he is available and they wont be able to attract "big" players if, as it now appears likely, they miss out on Europe all together. He would also have a better chance at first team football.
Not that I rate him that highly but they already have Willock. Be surprised if they wanted Gomes too. Like you say though, they're crying out for creativity sometimes, they ought to sign a more experienced no.10 if they can though I think.

Classical Mechanic

It is a bit strange that he has left without getting a move lined up. It's very rare that this happens. For his sake, I hope he first goes to an European team rather than English.
These are not normal times. The season is still ongoing for many clubs. If it were a normal season then it would be a bit weird.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Can see him moving to a lower club in a top league, or someone challenging in like Portugal or Holland. Don't see him moving to one of the massive sides like Juve or Madrid.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can see him moving to a lower club in a top league, or someone challenging in like Portugal or Holland. Don't see him moving to one of the massive sides like Juve or Madrid.
What odds he comes back to the club tail between legs?

Oldyella

Yes because signing on with a club means you have immediately up stumps and move to that city. I mean, if Caf posteres were lead to believe, he had so many options coming his way and that we were idiots for letting him go...

Or perhaps, he thought the club were bluffing and now he's literally got to reconsider his options. Problem for him is that he's now painted himself in a pretty shitty light on the basis that he rejected a decent contract offer. Most big clubs are probably going to reconsider him based on the fact that he couldnt crack our first team while other players were given the chance to do so this season.

Putting it lightly, if I were Dortmund, Barcelona, Real, Inter, Juventus etc, i'd be looking at Gomez with reduced interest and certainly wouldnt be offering him much more than what United were willing to do.
How could he think the club were bluffing when we offered him a contract and he turned it down??

Prodigal7

What odds he comes back to the club tail between legs?
Wouldn't like to say it would be tail between legs. He'll almost definitely have some very attractive alternative options in both monetary and playing time terms. Question is can he accept the competition for places here.

lumeyes

And you know this for sure? Gomes doesn't need to explain anything to anyone who couldn't see the obvious. He wanted to play, not to be left hanging between the U23 and the senior team. If Ole couldn't assure him that he is at least ahead of Lingard in the pecking order, or that he would be given a fair chance to compete, why stay? Last time he wasn't selected for a game everyone thought he would feature in - after a good short cameo at Old Trafford in which he made more impact in 10 mins than Lingard had done in several hours - some spread a rumour/lie that Ole didn't look his way because he came late for training. This allegation of rejecting a decent contract offer is another unfounded tale

Matriac

I think most of you are putting way too much into the fact that it's not yet announced where he's going.

Transfer window isn't open yet and the season is on-going in many countries. Even if he had offers I wouldn't sign anything right now unless he had a REALLY good offer some place he really wants to go. I'm sure he can make it a month or two without a salary.
Once seasons are done and dusted I'm sure clubs will be more willing to look at offering him a deal once they know more about the likelihood of getting other potential targets or not. His agent is likely talking to many clubs.

And hey, maybe he even has signed with someone, but there is no reason to announce it yet cause he can't play for the new club in a while anyway, and they might save it as a positive news story for after their season ends or a multitude of other reasons.

adam118

I think most of you are putting way too much into the fact that it's not yet announced where he's going.

Transfer window isn't open yet and the season is on-going in many countries. Even if he had offers I wouldn't sign anything right now unless he had a REALLY good offer some place he really wants to go. I'm sure he can make it a month or two without a salary.
Once seasons are done and dusted I'm sure clubs will be more willing to look at offering him a deal once they know more about the likelihood of getting other potential targets or not. His agent is likely talking to many clubs.

And hey, maybe he even has signed with someone, but there is no reason to announce it yet cause he can't play for the new club in a while anyway, and they might save it as a positive news story for after their season ends or a multitude of other reasons.
I agree, he probably has quite a few clubs after him right now and he is choosing. Maybe waiting for the best offer or more likely trying to find a club that will offer him regular football. There is no need for him to rush this.