Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

NinjaFletch

I reckon he's got a English club lined up and they're waiting till the end of the season.

Same for Ryan Fraser.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's also a chance that he's weighing up an offer from a club that is fighting relegation from the top division or promotion to the top division (not necessarily in England), so he wants to see how that plays out before committing. Or maybe a club fighting for a european spot.

neilv93

Most likely.

Can’t see us regretting this. Hopefully he goes and has a good career, just can’t see it being at the top level.
Agreed. I'll be supremely baffled if he turns out to be a Pogba 2.0 - I think he's had enough chances in the first time to at least show SOMETHING and flattered to deceive almost every time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I've said before, I find it strange when people say he hasn't done anything in his time in the first team. He's basically had 90 minutes of game time as a #10 spread out over one start and two sub appearances, and been quite good each time (arguably our best player in the game he started). It's the two full games that he's played out on the wing where he's been poor.

He was never amazing, but he did enough in those 90 minutes in the centre that I expected him to get another couple of opportunities seeing as it was our weakest position for over half the season.

lumeyes

As I've said before, I find it strange when people say he hasn't done anything in his time in the first team. He's basically had 90 minutes of game time as a #10 spread out over one start and two sub appearances, and been quite good each time (arguably our best player in the game he started). It's the two full games that he's played out on the wing where he's been poor.

He was never amazing, but he did enough in those 90 minutes in the centre that I expected him to get another couple of opportunities seeing as it was our weakest position for over half the season.
The problem is that some people don't want to look at the facts, real hard facts. He was about the best player on the pitch for 60 mins or so against Astana. That was a side featuring Rashford, Greenwood, Chong and one or two established players. Against Norwich (I think) at Old Trafford he was on for 10 mins and anyone who saw him and concluded he flattered to deceive ought to take another look at in the mirror. In those games he played as a number 10, in contrast to the others in which he was a winger. Not even a winger in a fast moving game with quick interchanges and movements. Did anyone expect Gomes to tear through defenders from the wings? I guess we would be talking about what a poor player Fletcher was if he never got the time to play as a midfielder. Criticism is fair only when objective, and there is no way anyone can honestly say Gomes failed to impress when he didn't get enough time to do so, while Lingard spent an unproductive year getting regular games as a no 10.

Maticmaker

It looks like Angel's not being mown down with offers from the big clubs, as he hoped, he has apparently been on the radar of Lille in France, but they are reputedly offering much less than we did, should Ole invite him back as a sort of 'prodigal son'?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We don't know where he has offers from. Going to smaller clubs is the wise move.

Zlatattack

It looks like Angel's not being mown down with offers from the big clubs, as he hoped, he has apparently been on the radar of Lille in France, but they are reputedly offering much less than we did, should Ole invite him back as a sort of 'prodigal son'?
let him come knocking on the door if he wants back in.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I genuinely thought he'd have at least two competing offers, apart from ours, to so easily reject us.

If that article is to be believed, now he'll be playing in Portugal by being loaned by a French team. Feels like he's taken at least 2, if not 3, steps back.

Maureen-yo

I genuinely thought he'd have at least two competing offers, apart from ours, to so easily reject us.

If that article is to be believed, now he'll be playing in Portugal by being loaned by a French team. Feels like he's taken at least 2, if not 3, steps back.
I was thinking the same thing. I can’t see united refusing a loan move to get him experience so I wonder why he didn’t stay and go out to get match experience in the Championship or even lower down the Prem rather than the route he appears to have chosen.

Robbo*

I was thinking the same thing. I can’t see united refusing a loan move to get him experience so I wonder why he didn’t stay and go out to get match experience in the Championship or even lower down the Prem rather than the route he appears to have chosen.
Also agree, seems to have miscalculated.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even though the club did for 18 months?
Hes taken a route that means he is going to play regularly and if he fufillls the potential many think he has he will get back to playing at a good level in due course

Maureen-yo

Even though the club did for 18 months?
Hes taken a route that means he is going to play regularly and if he fufillls the potential many think he has he will get back to playing at a good level in due course
Did we come out and block it? I thought it was all just Chinese whispers but if that’s the case I can understand your point entirely.

How I understood the situation was that Angel had said he’d prefer to stay and fight for a first team place so the club didn’t actively seek to loan him out. Then he was frustrated by the lack of first team opportunities and decided to look elsewhere for minutes.
Anyway, best of luck to him, I’m glad he’s not one of those happy to sit on a bench (or not even make the squad) and make easy money.

Skeezix

Good luck and all the best to him. The club and fans (I hope) bear no ill will towards him. Work hard, prove yourself and the doors will be open to his return if he turns out to be world class.

Fooza

Wish him all the best, genuinely thought he'd make it here longer than Chong.

meamth

Stagnated, that's why he left.

Maybe followed Pogba's path to success. Good luck to him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I wish him luck and all that but why on earth couldn’t he have just signed here and gone on loan to Boavista?

Assuming we wouldn’t let him for some reason :confused:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Something about the whole thing just doesn't add up :lol:
Unless it was literally, we wouldn't loan him until he signs and he wouldn't sign until we loan him. But even then, we could have got him at a better club on loan, surely

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I wish him luck and all that but why on earth couldn’t he have just signed here and gone on loan to Boavista?

Probably was a case of him finishing his loan and still being in a situation where he won't play regularly for us. He'll be out on loan now and return ready to play regularly in the French league and develop more there. He's not going to progress at all at United anymore as he just wouldn't have the game time. The move makes sense for him, and its a pretty mature one IMO.

Tiber

Bit weird to leave United to sign for Lille, especially when they plan to loan him out straight away. But good luck to him.

mu4c_20le

Can only assume he's been promised a spot on the first team, possibly after the loan. Lille are a young and exciting club so hopefully he does well

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Why would Boavista, who are being purchased by Lille, want to develop our players when they have Lille players of their own to develop?

Gerard Lopez is looking to build a football empire similar to Red Bull. They won’t be developing other clubs players for no gain.

In Rainbows

Bit weird to leave United to sign for Lille, especially when they plan to loan him out straight away. But good luck to him.
I think it makes complete sense in that they must have promised a certain amount of playing time with the loaned club.

neilv93

I feel like he might have been poorly advised to turn us down to just go to Boavista via Lille on loan? I mean, good luck to him of course and no doubt he'll get game time in two decent, competitive leagues to realise his potential but can't see why he couldn't have followed a similar path of going on loan etc. at Utd. Perhaps he likes the Pogba route and, like I say, best of luck to the kid.