Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

TheReligion

Abusive
19 years old now and wants more first team action. Contract runs out next month and it's been loosely reported he's rejected £30k per week deal from United with Chelsea sniffing around. In spite of this Gomes was saying he wanted to remain at United and win trophies a few weeks ago.

So.. where do we think this one ends up? Similar kind of path as Chong or will we see Angel sign elsewhere in the next couple of weeks?

I hope he stays as he does have a path to the first team providing he performs. Juan Mata is on his way out at the club and an opening for a creative player will be available. In addition he's seen what happens if you take your chances; Williams, Mctominay, Greenwood and Rashford are testament to that.

Would be madness on his part if he moves on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It would be strange for any academy player to leave in search of first team football given the chances the current structure are giving to those players but in Gomes' case I'm not sure there is much of a path way for him. If Pogba stays then that's both him and Fernandes in the side more weeks than not and if Pogba goes it's likely someone like Grealish will be bought

Ideally he'd of signed a new deal last summer, got more minutes this season and made a name for him before Fernandes was signed/while Pogba was injured because that was the time for him, when we were playing Andreas and Lingard every sodding week

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally think he's gone.

Whilst theres space for him in terms of being the replacements for Lingard or Pereira or Mata the CAM (which he really hasnt ever been for us) - the more time passes along and the more we get linked to players like Grealish and Bellingham- I dont see why Gomes would ever just contemplate competing with them and coming out on top - never mind with players like Bruno Fernandes and Pogba also able to play in certain positions aswell.

I think he made the decision a long time ago otherwise we would have atleast tried to persuade him through game time like Chong had been.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It would be strange for any academy player to leave in search of first team football given the chances the current structure are giving to those players but in Gomes' case I'm not sure there is much of a path way for him. If Pogba stays then that's both him and Fernandes in the side more weeks than not and if Pogba goes it's likely someone like Grealish will be bought

Ideally he'd of signed a new deal last summer, got more minutes this season and made a name for him before Fernandes was signed/while Pogba was injured because that was the time for him, when we were playing Andreas and Lingard every sodding week
There is no top team who will let Gomes was I to their starting XI. The current set up is fine for him, and he should focus on establishing himself as the first choice cover. If Pogba stays and he and Bruno play most games as you said, his concern is playing ahead of Lingard and Pereira (if they are still here). The two of them combined are worth a lot of games every season.

I don’t think he’s good enough, so not too bothered if he goes. But sure as shit he’s not getting first team football at Chelsea - unless of course he’s one of 73 players who will go on loan next season for them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think you have far too much competition for him to stay unless you shift 2 or 3 players. With a fully fit squad you’d say that Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford and Martial are pretty much certainties to start so he’s competing for a RW spot (James, Chong and seems like you’re interested in purchasing someone else) and as backup for Rashford/Fernandes/Pogba in the LW/CAM spot.

By all means he is highly rated on here but I’ve not seen much yet at a senior level. Lampard does want to build a youthful side full with English talent though it seems so wouldn’t be surprised if that interest is true.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think you have far too much competition for him to stay unless you shift 2 or 3 players. With a fully fit squad you’d say that Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford and Martial are pretty much certainties to start so he’s competing for a RW spot (James, Chong and seems like you’re interested in purchasing someone else) and as backup for Rashford/Fernandes/Pogba in the LW/CAM spot.

By all means he is highly rated on here but I’ve not seen much yet at a senior level. Lampard does want to build a youthful side full with English talent though it seems so wouldn’t be surprised if that interest is true.
Is there space at Everton at CAM & would you be happy if you got him?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t think he’s good enough, so not too bothered if he goes. But sure as shit he’s not getting first team football at Chelsea - unless of course he’s one of 73 players who will go on loan next season for them.
He’ll play more at Chelsea than United because he is good enough

Dve

There was a story last summer that Ole had upset Gomes by telling him he´s too tiny to play in the PL. Regardless of the veracity of that, you may wonder if Gomes feels he hasn´t been given enough chances this season (although being injured in a period where he perhaps could have been given more game time). If he intended to stay, why hasn´t he already signed a new contract, like Chong did? My gut tells me he´s leaving.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
A youth player signing for Chelsea to get more playing time? That's an oxymoron right? Right?

LVGSdive

A youth player signing for Chelsea to get more playing time? That's an oxymoron right? Right?
Before this season it would have been.

If he does leave we will hugely regret this. I think he will go to the top of the game.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Before this season it would have been.

If he does leave we will hugely regret this. I think he will go to the top of the game.
We cant regret it, it's not like we're willingly allowing his contract to run out, he's been offered extensions - and he's rejected them all.

If he wanted playing time he would sign for a lower Prem or a La Liga team as he'd get loads of opportunities to shine, going to Chelsea who are notoriously bad with young players (this season's transfer ban doesn't really count) basically screams "more money" to me.

RUCK4444

If he wants guaranteed first team football then unfortunately it’s time to say goodbye because he’s done nothing with his chances to demand that at this point.

Talented player but his tiny stature makes me question whether he has enough ability to make an impact in the PL.

wolvored

I cant say i've seen much of him, but he hasnt stood out in the bits i've seen him play. Theres one thing to cane it in the reserves and another to get in the first team. If he wont accept £30k a week then hes better gone. If he was any good I'm sure he would have had his chances like Garner, Chong (another who doesnt seem that special) Greenwood, Williams, McTom etc

Luke1995

Wonder why Greenwood got way more playing time than Angel despite being younger

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It speaks volumes that during a time when we were giving run outs to basically every youth player we had, Gomes couldn't get a look in.

Zlatattack

Wonder why Greenwood got way more playing time than Angel despite being younger
He's the better player. Why would ole freeze him out considering we had to play Periera and Lingard in so many games this year. If you can't get in ahead of those two you need to introspect.

edcunited1878

Interesting if Gomes leaves for Chelsea knowing that they have equal the amount of players he needs to compete with.

Pulisic, Gilmour, Mount, CHO, RLC, Kovacic, Barkley. Seven players.

Rashford, James, Pogba, Bruno, Mata, Lingard, Pereria. Seven players. Some players like Rashford and James aren't really even his competition.

I guess he doesn't have enough belief or patience to outperform Mata, Lingard, Pereira. He'll be 20 years old in August. Sign a 3 year deal, if you want to leave before then okay, leave when you're 22. Hardly a career breaker when at that time, he'll have a mature body by then and kick on physically. He's apparently 5'5" or 1.68 m per transfermarket. Same height as Paul Scholes or Kante, but definitely not the same build as either of them.

SAFMUTD

I think he’s gone, no point in letting run your contract just to renew in the last month.

He’s highly rated in the academy but on the first team his performances have not been anything above average, a $30K a week contract is more than enough, and there’s clearly something Ole see’s or don’t see in him that he is so low in the pecking order. I mean we had 4 months of freaking Pereira, Lingard and Mata before Bruno arrived.

Relfy

30k a week contract is fairly mental for someone who hasn't broken into the first team proper as yet. He is highly rated coming through the ranks, but the coaching team are the ones to decide if he is ready or not. I don't want us to lose any of our top talents to a competitor, but if we don't feel he will develop into real a first team player then we shouldn't raise our offer much further. In an ideal world he resigns and we loan him out next season to Spain or Portugal and assess his development in the men's game.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think hes the type of player we've always wanted to see at our club. But as many said, we've given everyone chances this season, with the Europa league and a bare thin squad and he still hasn't gotten chances, which sort of says he's not good enough to make it here. Don't think going to chelsea would be a good idea either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really do think the club shouldn't give up on him so early and we should try to find a different way to develop him. I think the issue that holding or slowing down his development is that his height. Being only 160cm is really not suitable for PL game.

However, there is a similar player who was 165cm played in PL, Santi Cazorla. Played on left, right & also in midfield whether it's CM, AM or the double pivot. I remember, Santi started his pro career with Villarreal as LW. A season before he joined Arsenal and also when he joined Arsenal, he started played in any midfield role, and he was pretty good at Arsenal.

May be loan him out to La Liga could benefit his development.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not really. Chelsea have more experienced players in positions he would play in and they're of similar ages. He would get loaned out.
Not many the manager actually trusts

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Interesting if Gomes leaves for Chelsea knowing that they have equal the amount of players he needs to compete with.

Pulisic, Gilmour, Mount, CHO, RLC, Kovacic, Barkley. Seven players.
Good luck getting games competing with those.

NoPace

But we should shift those players!

Rashford-Martial-RW (Greenwood, James, Ighalo)
---------------Bruno-------- (Gomes)
-----------Pogba----------- (Fred)
---------------DM------------- (McTominay)
LB--------------WanBIssaka (Shaw, Williams)
------Maguire-CB-------- (Lindelof, Bailly)
-------------De Gea-------- (Romero)

Lots of time for Gomes, Greenwood, Williams and James with Dalot and Henderson on loan. This is what Bayern or Madrid would do. Quality 18 or so first team players (say the first team then 2 attackers (one #9, one wide) 2 mids (one box to box and one holder), 2 defenders (one center back and one fullback) and a keeper) then 3 or 4 youth getting the rest of the minutes and hopefully one or two break into that 18 in a year or two. If Gomes is a disaster then when Bruno or Pogba are out you play Fred in a 4-2-3-1 or start James or Greenwood and play 4-4-2 or even Lindelof with 3 at the back.

Point is, Gomes is the kind of promising young player at a position we are short of numbers at. Not sure why he'd leave, unlike someone like Laird who now has 3 young players ahead of him at RB in AWB, Dalot and Williams.

Chelsea makes no sense, they have Mount and Loftus-Cheek and also can play Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho together and if Hudson-Odoi is also healthy then Pulisic and Ziyech would be ahead of Gomes centrally as a #10. I guess they could sell Barkley and end up like this in midfield:

Mount (Gomes)--------------------Kovacic(Loftus-Cheek)
-------------------------Kante(Jorginho)------------------------------

but that still leaves Gilmour looking for minutes and he's had better first team appearances than Gomes.

If he went to Ajax or Real Sociedad or Borussia Moenchengladbach or Porto or some team that has a hole in attacking midfield or might be about to have one (hence Ajax with Van De Beek and Sociedad with Odegaard) I would understand that, or even to Arsenal or where he might win the #10 job with a strong few weeks in preseason then sure, I would understand.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im very surprised that a loan move doesn't seem to be an option here? Some of footballs greatest talents are currently on loan in "lesser" clubs, why in gods name would that possibly be too good for Angel Gomes?

He's a exciting talent for sure, but he's not done something to warrant a frequent first team role in Manchester United this season.

Kostov

If you were Gomes, and see how Lingard and Pereira get chance after chance while you sit on the sideline, you would've been pissed too to be fair.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

He should stay imo. In AM he has Bruno that is in front of him and he should be able to compete with Lingard and Pereira, if can not then he is not good enough.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He should stay imo. In AM he has Bruno that is in front of him and he should be able to compete with Lingard and Pereira, if can not then he is not good enough.
He wasn't given a chance when it was just Pereira and Lingard alone, why should he stay now that Bruno has signed and Pogba is back fit.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Im very surprised that a loan move doesn't seem to be an option here? Some of footballs greatest talents are currently on loan in "lesser" clubs, why in gods name would that possibly be too good for Angel Gomes?

He's a exciting talent for sure, but he's not done something to warrant a frequent first team role in Manchester United this season.
His contract is done mate. He's a free agent in a few weeks time.

jackal&hyde

He wasn't given a chance when it was just Pereira and Lingard alone, why should he stay now that Bruno has signed and Pogba is back fit.
Because Lingard and Pereira due to their age deserved more of a chance to prove themselves and have failed rather hard at it, and have already been frozen out more or less. Angel will get plenty of games if he stays and is good enough virtually in any of the front 3 positions behind the striker. Competition should not be a worry for a player that wants to be a first team regular at a club like United; if he's good enough he will play like all the other young players we've brought through.

M16Red

I think it shows that Ole and powers in the club, believe that playing for Man utd your childhood club should rule over money. I don't think its about just about game time.