Angel Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distracted Steward

Fair enough, he's making an important point, that it will be players he's going to stick with. I'm quite surprised he's saying McTominay won't leave the club anymore, cause I was expecting him to probably get a loan next season.

Not sure Tuanzebe, with only just a few months away, and even Fosu-Mensah are going to be part of next season's team come September.
Where's the space in the squad going to come from? I would love to see them come through, but it's a little crowded at the moment.

Carrick will leave, but we all hope for a ready made top class central midfielder to come in.

Even if there were something to the rumors of Mata and Herrera moving on, we still have Pereira coming back along with Fosu-Mensah. How do you see it working out? Where do you see the squad space coming from or do you see loan moves for Gomes et al?

KevinJoh

I really don't see where will be the space for him in the next year or two, but first of all he needs to impose himself in U23 and to prove he can dominate games in that competition. In terms of squad space, I can see much more chance for Chong to get a chance on the right, than for Gomes to get a game time.

Scholsey2004

I cant see that he has developed much the past two years.

Greenwoods talent excites me more. He strikes me as more complete/accomplished/«well rounded» as a player.
I think the problem is he's 18 now and he's still really small. Hes about 3 inches shorter than Zola I think. It's easier to give starts to a kid if he's got a bigger physique than if he's tiny.

Bestietom

For the under 18's he was strong on the ball and could shield it well. When he played for under 23's he seemed to be pushed off the ball too easy. He has to strengthen up, and then he will be a real threat.

Rozski

In one of the recent interviews that came out (maybe his PlayerTribune article?) Lingard talked about how Sir Alex pulled him aside at one point and told him that he believed in him but he’d have to be patient because due to his size he probably wouldn’t be ready for the first team until he was 22 or so. Wouldn’t be surprised if Angel ends up in a similar situation.

In Rainbows

In one of the recent interviews that came out (maybe his PlayerTribune article?) Lingard talked about how Sir Alex pulled him aside at one point and told him that he believed in him but he’d have to be patient because due to his size he probably wouldn’t be ready for the first team until he was 22 or so. Wouldn’t be surprised if Angel ends up in a similar situation.
The difference is that Angel plays differently from Jesse. And it depends what role they have in store for him. Is he going to be an attacker or midfielder? If an attacker, I would agree that his size could be a problem. As a midfielder I see nothing wrong with his size.

Watching footage of older Scholes, Modric, Xavi, etc... size really doesn't help them at all. They play in a way where size is never a disadvantage.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Main thing with Jesse is that despite him not being ready for our first team, he was ready for senior football. Gomes needs to play against men sooner or later, on loan. If he’s going to be in our team yet, he needs to go on loan next year. He can’t just play in the academy until he’s 23 because he’s too small.

Jesse was playing on loan for a few years.

Rozski

Main thing with Jesse is that despite him not being ready for our first team, he was ready for senior football. Gomes needs to play against men sooner or later, on loan. If he’s going to be in our team yet, he needs to go on loan next year. He can’t just play in the academy until he’s 23 because he’s too small.

Jesse was playing on loan for a few years.
Watching footage of older Scholes, Modric, Xavi, etc... size really doesn't help them at all. They play in a way where size is never a disadvantage.
I’d agree that Angel needs to get a loan next year or at the very least the following year, and also that his size shouldn’t keep him from a top level career if his talent develops correctly. It’s just that his name has been around for a few years now and I’d hate for people to get discouraged with him if he’s still not ready for the first team for another 2 or 3 years. Not that what we think will affect how he goes about his business, just that players develop at different rates and he deserves patience that’s all.

In Rainbows

I’d agree that Angel needs to get a loan next year or at the very least the following year, and also that his size shouldn’t keep him from a top level career if his talent develops correctly. It’s just that his name has been around for a few years now and I’d hate for people to get discouraged with him if he’s still not ready for the first team for another 2 or 3 years. Not that what we think will affect how he goes about his business, just that players develop at different rates and he deserves patience that’s all.
I don't like a loan because I think other English clubs would be a lot more old fashioned and would take his size as a detriment.

I feel like United should make it clear what the plan for him (position) is. I've stated before, but we 95% of the time play him as an attacker for the u23s and in his few minutes at first team level has played as an attacker. On the other hand, Butt has said he sees him in a deeper role and played him there for the u19s.

Not sure how other clubs view Gomes and playing him as an attacker could give the coach of his loaned club that he's strictly an attacker.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Whats going on with him anyways? Feel like a long time since I've heard anything about his performances. Isn't he playing at the moment?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whats going on with him anyways? Feel like a long time since I've heard anything about his performances. Isn't he playing at the moment?
He's been the U23s best player this season, he's about 90% of our creativity although that's mainly cause Sbragia doesn't really know how to create chances that don't involve Angel.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's been the U23s best player this season, he's about 90% of our creativity although that's mainly cause Sbragia doesn't really know how to create chances that don't involve Angel.
Nice. Yeah, I don't like that Sbragia. Stopped watching the games, so thanks for the update on Angel. You know if there exist rivers for u21 games still? I miss watching him play so if he is playing regularly I want to see.

Bola

Should be on the bench v Palace, or at least a v the Saints

We could have 6 senior injuries, including to 3 attackers and a central attacking mid. Along with Chong, I can't see who else can really step up*

He looked decent in that small cameo earlier this year and he seems the type of player who will thrive with quality around him

* understand thst Greenwood may be injured and Garner has had a dip in form recently

AltiUn

Nice. Yeah, I don't like that Sbragia. Stopped watching the games, so thanks for the update on Angel. You know if there exist rivers for u21 games still? I miss watching him play so if he is playing regularly I want to see.
I don't think many like Sbragia, I'm surprised he got a second season after we got relegated, the football's still shit despite the talent at his disposal. And yeah there's a couple knocking about, I'll PM you the one I usually use.

Rozski

I don't like a loan because I think other English clubs would be a lot more old fashioned and would take his size as a detriment.
Fair point. I think if he did go Spain or Portugal would be better destinations.

AltiUn

Should be on the bench v Palace, or at least a v the Saints

We could have 6 senior injuries, including to 3 attackers and a central attacking mid. Along with Chong, I can't see who else can really step up*

He looked decent in that small cameo earlier this year and he seems the type of player who will thrive with quality around him

* understand thst Greenwood may be injured and Garner has had a dip in form recently
I don't think Garner's had a dip in form, he's been very good all season, he and Levitt have formed quite the partnership. Dunno if Greenwood's still injured or not though, he didn't play the U18 match this weekend and the U23s don't play till tomorrow so we'll only find out tomorrow if they mention it on MUTV. Logically, either he or Chong has to be on the bench, our squad's so threadbare at the mo'.

Bola

I don't think Garner's had a dip in form, he's been very good all season, he and Levitt have formed quite the partnership. Dunno if Greenwood's still injured or not though, he didn't play the U18 match this weekend and the U23s don't play till tomorrow so we'll only find out tomorrow if they mention it on MUTV. Logically, either he or Chong has to be on the bench, our squad's so threadbare at the mo'.
Putting the injuries aside, my opinion from a few weeks back was that OGS should bring a new academy player into the matchday squad for these next two games. Aside from wanting to promote youth, my logic was that the senior players were underperforming and we needed these lesser (but still difficult) ganes to give the 3 x most promising youngsters a chance, so that OGS has more options when rotating.

The injuries must push Chong and Gomes to the top of the list. For Gomes in particular, Perreira's* limited ball playing success and OGS' aversion to giving Fred mins, may play in his favor if we go for the diamond

* he did well today, but he's ball playing ability has not been on show all season.

AltiUn

Putting the injuries aside, my opinion from a few weeks back was that OGS should bring a new academy player into the matchday squad for these next two games. Aside from wanting to promote youth, my logic was that the senior players were underperforming and we needed these lesser (but still difficult) ganes to give the 3 x most promising youngsters a chance, so that OGS has more options when rotating.

The injuries must push Chong and Gomes to the top of the list. For Gomes in particular, Perreira's* limited ball playing success and OGS' aversion to giving Fred mins, may play in his favor if we go for the diamond

* he did well today, but he's ball playing ability has not been on show all season.
Yeah, I was a bit unsure at the time but the longer the season goes on and the more injuries we pick up I think having one of Greenwood, Gomes or Chong on the bench to see 10/15 minutes at the end of a game wouldn't do us any harm. Like you said, even if it's only for rotation it could help us prepare them for more minutes next season.

Yeah, Gomes would be ideal at the tip of the diamond, although I think injuries will dictate whether or not we're able to play one. I think he's been planning on introducing them for a while but every game's been high intensity and a must-win as we were closing the gap on top 4 and getting really difficult away draws in the FA cup, he's definitely been planning on using Greenwood but he keeps on getting injured just when he's about to be called up.

SAFMUTD

The thing is Gomes is even smaller than them, when people say he is small I don’t think all realize actually how small is he.

For comparative reasons:

Scholes 1.68 mts
Modric 1.72 mts
Xavi 1.70 mts
Iniesta 1.71 mts

Gomes is 1.60 mts, he is actually really short and not only short but skinny and pace isn’t one of his main attributes thats why some of us think he will have a hard time.

Not saying he can’t make it, but he will need to be something really really special, I mean all the players mentioned before were/are world class players so I think there will not be in between for him he either has the talent to be a world class player or he won’t make it at all. Hopefully it’s the first one.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Gomes actually has strong legs and a very low center of gravity. He’s fairly difficult to knock off the ball. This whole thing is overplayed. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. If he isn’t, he won’t. His size won’t be the decisive factor.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Gomes actually has strong legs and a very low center of gravity. He’s fairly difficult to knock off the ball. This whole thing is overplayed. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. If he isn’t, he won’t. His size won’t be the decisive factor.
This!

He needs the right system to function at his best. We're playing the ball to feet a lot more under Ole so I can see a part for him.

Treble

The thing is Gomes is even smaller than them, when people say he is small I don’t think all realize actually how small is he.

For comparative reasons:

Scholes 1.68 mts
Modric 1.72 mts
Xavi 1.70 mts
Iniesta 1.71 mts

Gomes is 1.60 mts, he is actually really short and not only short but skinny and pace isn’t one of his main attributes thats why some of us think he will have a hard time.
Didn't realise that. Can't they help him with growth hormones or something?

SirAF

Ageist

For comparative reasons:

Scholes 1.68 mts
Modric 1.72 mts
Xavi 1.70 mts
Iniesta 1.71 mts

Not saying he can’t make it, but he will need to be something really really special, I mean all the players mentioned before were/are world class players so I think there will not be in between for him he either has the talent to be a world class player or he won’t make it at all. Hopefully it’s the first one.
Jesus! I didn’t realize he was THAT small. 1.60 would be on the small side for a woman even.

In Rainbows

For comparative reasons:

Scholes 1.68 mts
Modric 1.72 mts
Xavi 1.70 mts
Iniesta 1.71 mts

Explain how their size factors into anything. What would Gomes gain from being as tall as Scholes for example and how does that tip the scale for him to succeed? It doesn't. It's all about playstyle. For some, size matters. For others, size does not help them in any substantial manner.

That's why I bring up watching their footage. Go watch their touch compilations. How does them being 1 to 3 inches taller than Gomes benefit them? I can explain why it matters if Gomes were a player that wanted to dribble past players like Chong. If that were his playstyle, size matters because he would be confronted with shoulder to shoulders and the defender could easily outmuscle him to shield the ball.

SAFMUTD

Explain how their size factors into anything. What would Gomes gain from being as tall as Scholes for example and how does that tip the scale for him to succeed? It doesn't. It's all about playstyle. For some, size matters. For others, size does not help them in any substantial manner.

That's why I bring up watching their footage. Go watch their touch compilations. How does them being 1 to 3 inches taller than Gomes benefit them? I can explain why it matters if Gomes were a player that wanted to dribble past players like Chong. If that were his playstyle, size matters because he would be confronted with shoulder to shoulders and the defender could easily outmuscle him to shield the ball.
The size factor applies very much in football, lets not prettend that size doesn't matter, clearly being strong, tall and fast gives you an extra advantage in every position.

I agree that Gomes playing style does not rely on his physicallity, since he can't offer anything in that department; but like I said in the previous post in order to compensate for the lack of physicality he must be really really good at other things, just like the other short players mentioned. If he is or isn't good enough only time will tell but I think he will either be a top top midfielder or won't make it, you have to be that good to play at that level with those physical attributes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That's a joke, right?
They do this in a lot of countries. Very often they say that its to avoid that the person enda up really, really short, but I would guess it is more normal for talented, young atlethes. Did they not do it with Messi?

It is almost surpring that Man Utd did not give hormons to Gomes.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Isn't he due a grow spurt? Only worry is if he gets one it might effect his knees like it did Welbeck.

In Rainbows

The size factor applies very much in football, lets not prettend that size doesn't matter, clearly being strong, tall and fast gives you an extra advantage in every position.

I agree that Gomes playing style does not rely on his physicallity, since he can't offer anything in that department; but like I said in the previous post in order to compensate for the lack of physicality he must be really really good at other things, just like the other short players mentioned. If he is or isn't good enough only time will tell but I think he will either be a top top midfielder or won't make it, you have to be that good to play at that level with those physical attributes.
I agree size matters. I disagree it can be applied universally. I don't agree that it's necessary for a midfielder who plays like Modric, Verratti, Scholes, etc...

Whether he makes it or not will have nothing to do with his size and everything to do with what that role entails. Close control, finding space, ball manipulation, 1 touch passing, general passing, etc... Framing it as something that they must compensate for is just strange to me because it's the least important attribute for that role. That's why I said it's irrelevant in regards to Gomes.

Now as an attacker, yes I agree that size matters in regards to Gomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.