Angel Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Is that what is it or has Gomes stagnated? I dont watch the reserves so have no idea?
He’s doing fine, just had an interrupted season with England duties and a few injuries, plus stepping up into the under 23’s into a poor team. He’s still a very skilful player with exceptional vision and awareness. I certainly wouldn’t say he’s stagnated, just fans are now focusing on Greenwood and Chong before him, it’s a never ending cycle of wanting the latest thing to be the greatest thing ever.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gomes is a class player but with his lack of physique we will have to wait until he's already a good player before he can start regularly.

You can't afford for him to make sloppy touches / passes when he can't win the ball back of bigger opponents.

Saying that though, he's technically very sound so I don't think he will waste many balls. I can see him becoming a well rounded playmaker similar to Verratti.

arthurka

He has so much talent and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
He should be in the squad next season. That said I have a slight worry that we will loan him out to a club that doesnt fit.

deadrevelz

He's looked very good whenever I've seen him. The only doubt for me is his physique, but the way football is heading, I think if you have enough pace, technical ability and intelligence you can make it in the PL. If he doesn't make it here, I'm sure he will make it in a less physical league though.

Hope to god he makes it at United though, his close control, dribbling and passes look brilliant. Have we ever had a player like him?

AgentP

What is this guy's best position? Because he used to play higher up when he was younger and has now moved deeper. Is he an 8 or a 10?

Raven

Got this lovely outside of the boot assist. Cant see a full match comp anywhere though.

He made a similar assist for England recently

Saw the England one, that one against Newcastle is even better though, proper eye of the needle shit.

lukepowell1988

Think he and Chong need to work in the Gym on there physicality he is technically gifted but coming up against the big CB's in the prem he will get crushed

lysglimt

Scout
Is that what is it or has Gomes stagnated? I dont watch the reserves so have no idea?
A bit of both. Gomes' problem is that his gap between a good game and a poor game is enormous. On his day he is unstoppable (like yesterday), but he has had quite a few games where he is completely anonymous, and at this Level that is not good enough.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Saw the England one, that one against Newcastle is even better though, proper eye of the needle shit.
It is not that special - it's a fairly standard shift-on pass to Chong's run that ends up looking great. The England one is actually better as he measures the weighting on it.

Raven

It is not that special - it's a fairly standard shift-on pass to Chong's run that ends up looking great. The England one is actually better as he measures the weighting on it.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What I've lived about him for a few years is how as small and as young as he is, he's usually wearing the armband.

passing-wind

We are sitting on another potentially world class player, the problem is not so much his height, his physicality, his speed but what our first team can offer him in terms of a foundation to develop as a player.

Height is nothing but nonsense when you have a viable attacking philosophy. We have just witness arguably the greatest midfield of this generation dominated by two "minors" in Iniesta and Xavi. They utilise their size to their advantages to an extent it seems disadvantageous to be a bigger individual playing against them. You can fling Modric, Kante, Scholes, Silva into the same conversation. (Aguero / Hazard additionally but they have a bigger natural build)

We are now in a premier league era dominated by european influenced enthusiasts and coaches. We as a club need an identity that falls in line with players that offer us a technical revolution, Gomes fits the bill perfectly.

The only reason Foden is more in favour is because he's playing in a modern system where he has a clear directive and can be coached appropriately in his position to succeed. Not one person on this forum can clearly highlight Gomes position under Solskjaer because our first team is in disarray and I don't know if ole has the conviction to lead us in the right direction but until we develop an ethos on the pitch none of our youth players will have the platform to develop.

In the last 10 years the only manager we have had who was philosophical in his approach was Van Gaal, it's not a surprise that Martial and Rashford are by-products of his success that is not by any chance a coincidence.

We need structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargonk

ZupZup

We should probably start giving him some chances soon or he'll simply leave next summer to a club who will and we'll certainly regret it...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We are sitting on another potentially world class player, the problem is not so much his height, his physicality, his speed but what our first team can offer him in terms of a foundation to develop as a player.

Height is nothing but nonsense when you have a viable attacking philosophy. We have just witness arguably the greatest midfield of this generation dominated by two "minors" in Iniesta and Xavi. They utilise their size to their advantages to an extent it seems disadvantageous to be a bigger individual playing against them. You can fling Modric, Kante, Scholes, Silva into the same conversation. (Aguero / Hazard additionally but they have a bigger natural build)

We are now in a premier league era dominated by european influenced enthusiasts and coaches. We as a club need an identity that falls in line with players that offer us a technical revolution, Gomes fits the bill perfectly.

The only reason Foden is more in favour is because he's playing in a modern system where he has a clear directive and can be coached appropriately in his position to succeed. Not one person on this forum can clearly highlight Gomes position under Solskjaer because our first team is in disarray and I don't know if ole has the conviction to lead us in the right direction but until we develop an ethos on the pitch none of our youth players will have the platform to develop.

In the last 10 years the only manager we have had who was philosophical in his approach was Van Gaal, it's not a surprise that Martial and Rashford are by-products of his success that is not by any chance a coincidence

We need structure.
Martial, who was signed for nearly fifty million quid, aged 20 years old?

And what about McTominay? Are you giving Van Gaal all the credit for his development too?

Obviously, bringing kids through into the first team - with the PL as competitive as it is these days - is a real challenge. Which is why nailed on prospects like Sancho (they couldn't find a place for him in City's "modern system with a clear directive", could they?) and Hudson-Odoi have been tempted with overseas moves to speed up their development.

Hopefully, we'll buck the trend because the likes of Gomes and Greenwood can see players like McTominay, Rashford and Lingard getting established in the first team after playing for the same academy team they played for. Continuing a long line of United first teamers who had the same career path. Which gives them a glimpse of the future that doesn't exist for the up and coming stars at clubs like City and Chelsea, no matter how impressed you are with the identity of those clubs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

In the last 10 years the only manager we have had who was philosophical in his approach was Van Gaal, it's not a surprise that Martial and Rashford are by-products of his success that is not by any chance a coincidence.

We need structure.
Agreed. We have to move away from this kick it and hope style of football if we wish to succeed in Europe again.

Funnily enough the 08 team had the perfect blend of style + power, which is what we need to recreate.

I'd absolutely love it if in 3/4 years we've got Greenwood/Gomes/Chong/Garner in the first team; they've all clearly got the ability, we just need to keep them driven and give them chances.

That performance from Gomes against Newcastle was fantastic, his agility/balance is so hard to deal with when he turns like that, you just can't do anything but foul him. When he's in the mood with his passing range also he could be the perfect number 8/10.

I just love watching that team when they're on song, some really fun players. Even Burkart has done really well recently.

Smallings biggest fan

I am pretty sure not one of Chong, Gomes, Greenwood or Garner will become a usual starter for United.

Not because I don't rate them. For that I haven't seen enough of them. Nor is it because Gomes is the only one who has shown any talent whatsoever in their few minutes in the first team.

But because when I see how poor a lot of the first team players are and how much the manager is talking about United using youth players I don't think their talent is as big as they are hyped to.

SteveW

He's a joy to watch when on his game. He's also still very very young and still very light. People need to be patient. He could be one of these players that makes it in his 20s once he develops enough physicality.There's no rush

Mullet_Man

Got this lovely outside of the boot assist. Cant see a full match comp anywhere though.

He made a similar assist for England recently
That England goal was quality, look how the ball was passed around the back four and wasn't a hoof in site. Promising stuff!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Everyone has moved on and are over hyping Greenwood now.
I reckon there's enough hype to go around.

I think he's doing great and is underrated in his new position. So much class, he's the English Iniesta. Excellent technique, can dribble past players in midfield and is creative. Maybe needs to impose himself more in games from time to time, but how he keeps the ball, passes... I can watch him all night. One of these players you pay to watch.

In Rainbows

We need to be transforming Gomes into a player like Arthur. The video doesn't capture all the times he 1 touched pass to keep possession.
A bit of both. Gomes' problem is that his gap between a good game and a poor game is enormous. On his day he is unstoppable (like yesterday), but he has had quite a few games where he is completely anonymous, and at this Level that is not good enough.
When he's anonymous he doesn't have bad touches or messes up. He just doesn't influence the game as much as he could. That's why I have suggested he become a midfielder rather than a 10 as he then gets a smaller share of the team's attacking responsibility, and gets a bigger share of the team's possession responsibility. If that is the case, then those anonymous performances pretty much disappear.

I can imagine that he could do Fred's role in a certain sense. He would lack a little energy that Fred gives (which comes with defensive bite), but would make up for it by being better going forward and is better technically.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His "anonymous" games are overstated. Even when he is supposedly anonymous he is still regularly our best player. It is no coincidence they coincide with Sbragiaball and games where refs simply refuse to officiate matches properly. No shit he is going to be "anonymous" when he is fouled 10+ times a match and has the shit kicked out of him all match which the refs refuse to do anything about. We've had opposition players commit 8 fouls in a single game and not get sent off. When you're allowed to foul Angel every time he touches the ball then no shit he'll be "anonymous." Last night alone he'd have got at least one Newcastle player sent off with a senior level ref. They were blatantly fouling him and then kicking the ball at him when he was on the floor and did it multiple times. They'd be straight reds with a proper ref. You can't criticize him for failing to impose himself when he's allowed to be fouled for 90 mins straight and the shitty excuse of youth refs refuse to do anything about it.

In Rainbows

His "anonymous" games are overstated. Even when he is supposedly anonymous he is still regularly our best player. It is no coincidence they coincide with Sbragiaball and games where refs simply refuse to officiate matches properly. No shit he is going to be "anonymous" when he is fouled 10+ times a match and has the shit kicked out of him all match which the refs refuse to do anything about. We've had opposition players commit 8 fouls in a single game and not get sent off. When you're allowed to foul Angel every time he touches the ball then no shit he'll be "anonymous." Last night alone he'd have got at least one Newcastle player sent off with a senior level ref. They were blatantly fouling him and then kicking the ball at him when he was on the floor and did it multiple times. They'd be straight reds with a proper ref. You can't criticize him for failing to impose himself when he's allowed to be fouled for 90 mins straight and the shitty excuse of youth refs refuse to do anything about it.
That's a good point. A lot of these matches would be different if the officiating was more like at first team level.

What I've lived about him for a few years is how as small and as young as he is, he's usually wearing the armband.
He wore the armband for the english youth side that had Foden, Sancho, Odoi, etc... too. Seems like he's a leader in the locker room rather than the type who shows it on the pitch.

Similar to Tuanzebe who was our captain at a very young age.

Last edited:

jb8521

I think part of the reason he hasn't been a stand out more often this season is related to this as well since he's fairly regularly been carrying knocks & not fully fit because teams have been allowed kick the shit out of him & Chong with very little done about it. I can never understand how refs seem to think allowing players to spend the game committing fouls that they won't get away with in senior football is supposed to help prepare them for senior football. I understand it to a degree at younger age levels but all of these lads are professional footballers so it helps nobody.

Raven

Can't wait to see him get more of a chance, he could be exactly the type of midfielder we're missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.