Angel Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

He reminds me Mikael Laudrup
Think Gomes needs a go to move like Laudrup to get himself out of trouble. Even though Gomes is incredible on a technical level, one improvement that is needed is his ability to escape defenders in close spaces. Gomes is great at keeping possession through 1 touch passing, close control while dribbling, and so on, but there are situations where a trick is needed. That's something Pogba and Sancho do well. They don't panic and calmly execute that piece of skill to free themselves of a defender. I think Greenwood has that ability too. Gomes has certainly showed that a dozen times in the past, I just don't see the same rate that those others do.

Gomes is probably better than all with his feet by the slightest of hairs, and is incredibly calm in normal possession retaining situations, so perhaps it's more to do with having a go to piece of skill as a reflex. He should work on that.

Laudrup had the croqueta.

khoazany

I think main problem with Gomes is let's say we start him in the current first team, it's hard to see where he'll play, unless we compromise by moving Pogba deeper, which is probably not a smart solution.

mav_9me

I think main problem with Gomes is let's say we start him in the current first team, it's hard to see where he'll play, unless we compromise by moving Pogba deeper, which is probably not a smart solution.
I think the idea is to play him as a controller CM alongside a more defensive minded CM such as Rice for example with Pogba continuing where he is.

In Rainbows

Think he'll fit in if he becomes a Verratti type midfielder. He could certainly play the Pogba role in his own style, but think United would benefit most from making him the main man at distributing the ball. He's really good at helping the side keep possession and that's just the type of player United are currently missing.

Of course, if that's the case United will need someone who is good at defending like Garner. Matic doesn't have the legs, McTominay isn't exactly some great destroyer, and Herrera is the same (despite the great energy being complimentary).

I think the idea is to play him as a controller CM alongside a more defensive minded CM such as Rice for example with Pogba continuing where he is.
agreed

Negative Red

Mata gets plenty of game time and I think Gomes is a similar player, just more mobile. Hopefully he gets plenty of minutes pre-season and we'll see where it goes.

Winger11

There's no Gomes in today's squad list. Was sure he will take some part against Colchester after missing U23 game. Is he injured does anybody know?

Last edited:

Allas8

Gomes gone. Fantastic talent, but to small. Can not be played through the center considering he is a defensive liability, as he can just be shoved off the ball. Can not play through the wing as he lacks the explosive speed, and the ability to challenge 1v1. I remember seeing a photo of him pre-season where he jacked up, built up muscles, and he was quiet ripped, so physically I dont think he can get much stronger. He also lacks stamina for our high intensity play-style, as have been seen at U23 level, where talents like Puigmal and Galbraith have caught up to him and are ready to surpass him. If he was not a United player we would never sign him, but since he came through our academy we wanted to give him a chance, time to adapt to play against men, but this chance he does not seem to want.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Tough situation. Clearly a massive talent and will likely have a good career somewhere but it’s unlikely to be in this league. In an ideal world we would be giving him a few loans and bringing him through like Lingard but I get the impression he doesn’t have the same patience and he’s also half a foot shorter. I hope he gets picked up by a Spanish or Italian club, would be great to see another talented young English player carve a career out abroad.

soapythecat

As much as I may have long term reservations about Ole being tactically good enough, I am fairly confident he is he man to take the club forward with the re-build we all know we need. He seems to do well with young players, therefore, I totally trust Ole is handling this situation well.
Perhaps we need to accept just some of our touted youngsters aren't good enough, or have the correct frame of mind to succeed at United. If Gomes was good enough or was displaying all the attributes to succeeding at OT, then he would be given a suitable contract, assurances and playing time.
He's a local lad who supposedly loves the club, which makes me think that the club isn't giving him a great deal because perhaps they aren't seeing enough in him. He only has to look at Rashford to see the money and fame he could get if he applies himself well here.
Maybe he will leave and flourish elsewhere, but we need to concentrate on what we have left and how they are doing. I'm behind the process at OT currently and I'm seeing a plan starting to play out that I'm totally onboard with. If Gomes isn't part of that for one reason or another, then I'm fine with it.

cathari

With Gomes, I cannot stop myself from drawing lines to other smaller players. Lingard didn't make it before his twenties. Even Iniesta wasn't playing regularly before he was 20. It'll probably also take Gomes some extra time growing into senior football, but he has a lot of talent, and maybe too much to for his own good? Ideally, he needs one or two years on loan for me before he is ready to play regularly.

JohnnyKills

As much as I may have long term reservations about Ole being tactically good enough, I am fairly confident he is he man to take the club forward with the re-build we all know we need. He seems to do well with young players, therefore, I totally trust Ole is handling this situation well.
Perhaps we need to accept just some of our touted youngsters aren't good enough, or have the correct frame of mind to succeed at United. If Gomes was good enough or was displaying all the attributes to succeeding at OT, then he would be given a suitable contract, assurances and playing time.
He's a local lad who supposedly loves the club, which makes me think that the club isn't giving him a great deal because perhaps they aren't seeing enough in him. He only has to look at Rashford to see the money and fame he could get if he applies himself well here.
Maybe he will leave and flourish elsewhere, but we need to concentrate on what we have left and how they are doing. I'm behind the process at OT currently and I'm seeing a plan starting to play out that I'm totally onboard with. If Gomes isn't part of that for one reason or another, then I'm fine with it.
Yeah have to say he hasn't stood out in the games he's played. Greenwood looks like a mega-talent but Gomes really struggles to impose himself. Maybe we just accept the coaches now what they're doing on this one.

Stadjer

Yeah have to say he hasn't stood out in the games he's played. Greenwood looks like a mega-talent but Gomes really struggles to impose himself. Maybe we just accept the coaches now what they're doing on this one.
Mata and Lingard have only stood out in a negative way in most games they played... Gomes not standing out is not an argument for refusing to give him play time because his competition also doesnt stand out. Standing out isnt a requirement for Ole... signing a contract or be old(er) and more being more experienced might be a requirement.

Atleast Gomes can still develop and improve. Lingard and Mata only keep getting worse. I really dont like seeing valuable playing time being wasted on old Mata and clearly not good enough Lingard.

Red_toad

People panic too much, they all see Sancho and think Gomes should follow the same trajectory, which simply isn't the case. Gomes has more United appearances that Jesse at the same age. Exceptional players can cut it at big clubs early in their careers, the vast majority need time. I'm hopeful Gomes will sign a new cntract and then go out on loan next month or season, if Ole see's him as not ready for our first team, then so be it.

tomaldinho1

People panic too much, they all see Sancho and think Gomes should follow the same trajectory, which simply isn't the case. Gomes has more United appearances that Jesse at the same age. Exceptional players can cut it at big clubs early in their careers, the vast majority need time. I'm hopeful Gomes will sign a new cntract and then go out on loan next month or season, if Ole see's him as not ready for our first team, then so be it.
Yh I agree, I'd say the role he plays is also probably where you most rarely see young players make an instant impression. CAM is highly tactical as well as being pivotal when it comes to building play/creating chances - for a 19 year old to be even playing in the role and giving 6/10 performances is an achievement. I hope he stays and gets game time, particularly with how light we are in midfield and Pogba seemingly always on the verge of leaving, but reading into his absences from match squads you can only assume he's waiting to go.

Pearson

The biggest talent that United Academy has ever produced after Ravel Morrison. Big shame.

But if it is just because he is not happy with the contract, he should just go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he's going then he should stop getting under 23 games too.

I wanted him to get game time but we have been looking at CAM too so put 2 & 2 together & it isn't going to work.

Go somewhere else and come back here a bigger man if that is what he wants.

SteveW

I'll miss watching him play if he goes. I don't think he will quickly become a star somewhere else but I could see him doing well in a couple of years. It will be a shame that we couldn't tie him down and loan him out to give him the football he wants/needs right now.

Thiagoal

The biggest talent that United Academy has ever produced after Ravel Morrison. Big shame.

But if it is just because he is not happy with the contract, he should just go.
That’s ridiculous! He’s technically very good but Greenwood has shown far more ability in the youth teams! I hate to say it but I don’t think he’ll end up having a great career; too lightweight to ever impose himself Is my prediction! Hope I’m wrong though

In Rainbows

That’s ridiculous! He’s technically very good but Greenwood has shown far more ability in the youth teams! I hate to say it but I don’t think he’ll end up having a great career; too lightweight to ever impose himself Is my prediction! Hope I’m wrong though
Greenwood did not show far more ability in the youth teams. Greenwood bossed the u18s at age 16, just like Gomes did. Gomes won best player awards at youth level.

Any perceived superiority comes from Greenwood's translation to the first team, which is a separate argument.

Thiagoal

Greenwood did not show far more ability in the youth teams. Greenwood bossed the u18s at age 16, just like Gomes did. Gomes won best player awards at youth level.

Any perceived superiority comes from Greenwood's translation to the first team, which is a separate argument.
I watch loads of youth team football and can assure you Greenwood was getting far more hype! Anyway, who cares how good a kid is at youth level if they don’t have the tools to apply it to the adult game?

In Rainbows

I watch loads of youth team football and can assure you Greenwood was getting far more hype! Anyway, who cares how good a kid is at youth level if they don’t have the tools to apply it to the adult game?
That's a different discussion. Otherwise, why bring up Ravel who didn't succeed at first team level? The original post only brought up talent.

lysglimt

Scout

No - it has to do with a lot of things. In terms of raw talent Gomes is probably the best since Morrison, but I have never once questioned if Greenwood would make it, same with Garner. He will make it. I have time and time again questioned Gomes. If Gomes has a poor game - he is out of the game for 30-40 minutes. That might work as a striker, but not as a central midfielder. In addition Greenwoods decision-making is superior to Gomes. Greenwood is a very mature footballer, I am not totally convinced Gomes is yet.

So I am sad to see Gomes go - because he could turn out to be a real star, but I wont lose any sleep over it. And he has had his chances, and unlike some of other youngsters, he hasn't taken them.

HJ12

He has the tools to eventually be a really good player, but as other have said, it's very rare to see a teenager immediately succeed at a top club in the number 10 spot. It will likely take him a few years to reach a really good level - whether it be at United or elsewhere. Seems an ideal candidate to be loaned out for a season, away from the United spotlight (where every fault of his in every game will be picked apart). Unfortunately, doesn't seem like this is the way it's going to go.

flappyjay

He has the tools to eventually be a really good player, but as other have said, it's very rare to see a teenager immediately succeed at a top club in the number 10 spot. It will likely take him a few years to reach a really good level - whether it be at United or elsewhere. Seems an ideal candidate to be loaned out for a season, away from the United spotlight (where every fault of his in every game will be picked apart). Unfortunately, doesn't seem like this is the way it's going to go.
You just have to look at Odegaard, barely doing anything with Castilla and then finally finding his feet in Holland. Now he is on his second loan doing well at Sociedad. But Gomes and some on this forum want him to be given everything on a platter. Like is he beyond loans and such.

Oldyella

You just have to look at Odegaard, barely doing anything with Castilla and then finally finding his feet in Holland. Now he is on his second loan doing well at Sociedad. But Gomes and some on this forum want him to be given everything on a platter. Like is he beyond loans and such.
Wasnt the talk that he wanted to go on loan last year but was told no? Not sure he thinks hes beyond a loan, he just wants to play and aside from a few minutes here and there in weaker teams hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip.

It's annoying but it's not really his fault, or Oles. Time to sort this was last year with a loan abroad to a side where he would get games and get talks done on a contract then. Now we have an impasse. He wont sign as he wants a clear indication he won't just end up rotting in reserves, we won't try and use him more as he won't sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.