Angel Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJoh

Looks like Angel signed for Lille and was immediately loaned to Boavista.
https://www.record.pt/futebol/futeb...ta/detalhe/angel-gomes-emprestado-ao-boavista

What a weird decision for him. Looks like Lille have some kind of relationship with Boavista as beside Gomes, they are loaning out two more players to them. Still not official, but weird. No way that Lille could offer him more money than we did, also we could loan him out to the club like Boavista.

Also, it would be nice that we have similar relationship with some club like that to loan out few kids at 19-20, to gain experience playing every week.

crossy1686

career ending
https://www.record.pt/futebol/futeb...ta/detalhe/angel-gomes-emprestado-ao-boavista

What a weird decision for him. Looks like Lille have some kind of relationship with Boavista as beside Gomes, they are loaning out two more players to them. Still not official, but weird. No way that Lille could offer him more money than we did, also we could loan him out to the club like Boavista.

Also, it would be nice that we have similar relationship with some club like that to loan out few kids at 19-20, to gain experience playing every week.
They have the same club owners I believe.

Similar to the Watford/Genoa thing.

mu4c_20le

Knew he wasn't going to walk into any decent club's first team. If this is true then it completely vindicates our coaching staff.

SteveW

If he was happy to head out on loan he should have signed a new deal.

Looks like he believed the hype, tried to leverage it and ended up worse off.

Grande

If he was happy to head out on loan he should have signed a new deal.

Looks like he believed the hype, tried to leverage it and ended up worse off.
Fairly absurd. I tend to still believe it’s his dad the agent who is overstretching both Angel’s readiness and his own competency. It’s completely guesswork, obviously.

Castia

Whoever advised him on this....jeez.

I said in the twitter thread fair play wanting first team football but what a strange way to do it. Imagine the contract negotiation from the Lille telling him he's not good enough for them so we'll loan you out to a bottom half Portuguese side. His style of play will be absolutely useless in a team fighting relegation in Portugal.

I honestly thought he would join a decent side, there was talk of Chelsea being interested.

KevinJoh

Whoever advised him on this....jeez.

I said in the twitter thread fair play wanting first team football but what a strange way to do it. Imagine the contract negotiation from the Lille telling him he's not good enough for them so we'll loan you out to a bottom half Portuguese side. His style of play will be absolutely useless in a team fighting relegation in Portugal.
Well, it looks like it is the same owner, so probably they told him he will play there for a season or half a season to get easier and gain some experience, than switch to Lille to play in the first team. Hopefully he will play in Portugal every week, so maybe will get where he thinks he belong. Not that I am optimistic.

Devil81

Going to watch his stats closely next season, I have a feeling his career is going to go down the pan.

I started to suspect something wasn't right when he was on the bench for England under 17's during their to winning the World cup.

Going to watch his stats closely next season, I have a feeling his career is going to go down the pan.

I started to suspect something wasn't right when he was on the bench for England under 17's during their to winning the World cup.
I agree.

I think he will make a very quick slide. I’d bet he never becomes an established player at a team in a top league.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

You're right, something wasn't right then. He wasn't fit, that's what.

Based Adnan

Fairly absurd. I tend to still believe it’s his dad the agent who is overstretching both Angel’s readiness and his own competency. It’s completely guesswork, obviously.
Apparently his Dad was also a bit of a youth prodigy who got nowhere near his potential. Hope the same doesn't turn out to be true for Angel.

NamedAfterGiggs

I was in Porto on holiday and as they weren’t playing at home, I went to watch Boavista instead. The style of play was very physical and some of the tackling was ridiculous. I think someone like Scott McTominay would struggle, let alone Angel

Devil81

You're right, something wasn't right then. He wasn't fit, that's what.
Sorry for not following the under 17's injury updates throughout the under 17 world cup.

From where I was sitting he was on the bench, I wouldn't have delved into the injury record of Angel. Now I know I suppose that statement is a bit stupid.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Isn’t he Nani’s cousin or something? He has a Portugese surname anyway. Does anyone know if he speaks Portugese? Might find it easier to settle there than he would in France.

Whatever, it’s interesting that not one PL club seems willing to take a punt on him.

KevinJoh

He was fit, but not in form at U17. He was injured before tournament, but he did play in a few games, probably not match fit enough.
Still argument is valid. Not maybe for U17, but in later stages, you would expect him to become regular in U21 for example and he wasn't even called out for that team. So, it is not just our coaches, but England as well. I am not sure about his attitude in trainings and around, could be an issue with everything going out recently, but again if that was the problem I guess we would not offer him new contract with pretty good money. It is more that I think he thought he can start his career by playing somewhere on regular basis with good contract, and that he could not see that he will anytime soon get minutes for United. And probably he is right. If he is not at first team level at Lille at the moment, he wouldn't be in United for a quite few years.
Still I would be happy for the kid to make a good career and maybe even get to the PL level or top clubs.

led_scholes

Isn’t he Nani’s cousin or something? He has a Portugese surname anyway. Does anyone know if he speaks Portugese? Might find it easier to settle there than he would in France.

Whatever, it’s interesting that not one PL club seems willing to take a punt on him.
Nani is his godfather. His father is Angolian, where they speak Portuguese (dunno about his mother), so probably he speaks and understands a basic level of Portuguese.

SteveW

Sorry for not following the under 17's injury updates throughout the under 17 world cup.

From where I was sitting he was on the bench, I wouldn't have delved into the injury record of Angel. Now I know I suppose that statement is a bit stupid.
It would have made more sense to delve into that than start making assumptions about his potential.

It was mentioned plenty on here that he had a few knocks heading into that tournament.

I do think people underestimate the difficulty of breaking through at his size also. He's still built like a little kid.

jackal&hyde

I don't get it. Why reject our contract only to end up at Boavista? We could have loaned him too, maybe to a better side. Such a strange one.

dr.twinny

Good start for him. Hope he continues to do well there. I'm quite pissed we won't get any future fee for when he makes the step up from Lille.

In Rainbows

Perhaps you're both right. Seems like too low a step for a player of his quality. Are Boavista even Championship quality?
You're focused on his team too much. Will Gomes play against a side in the championship as good as Porto, Benfica, or Sporting? That's what matters. Who he plays against.

bsCallout

Same level we recently signed Bruno Fernandes from? A huge step up from playing u23 football at United or no games at all
Boavista were bottom half of an awful league. Bruno was a clear star in the league for the best team. Not really close.

If he went Sporting and had European football then fair enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Perhaps you're both right. Seems like too low a step for a player of his quality. Are Boavista even Championship quality?
He is playing in the same league we recently signed Bruno Fernandes from

Status
Not open for further replies.