Gaming Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

decorativeed

Just had an absolute shocker on this. Was on an increasing trend for turnip prices but forgot to check it last night. Switched the clock back to 9:50 to check it, then decided just to see what they were today, so set it to 11:50. Had gone up to 169 bells, but after noon, it went up to 384. Went to get my turnips and they've all spoiled. Bollocks.

Then I bought a server from the shop for 100,000 bells and accidentally gave it to a neighbour rather than the shitty rug I meant to give.

Anyway, if anyone wants to sell today for 384, give me a shout.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Loaded up my island yesterday for the first time in a few months. The weeds :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still playing every day, just not for much more than 20 mins or so.
I really wanted to want to keep playing but it just didn't hold the interest for me. Collecting the exact same things every day lost the appeal really and the updates haven't added enough.

Having to go through long text prompts every time you want to do something gets grating as well.

United Hobbit

I got the new bug and fish for August but nothing since I'll do the same each month until I have them all. It just got too repetitive. I'm too busy playing fall guys atm, they should add new parts to the museum. I have one fossil left to get but he just says I already have them every time. I'll also not be wfh anymore so won't be able to play at lunch like I did when I was.

decorativeed

Yeah, the new things to catch will keep me coming back till next May or so, at least, as it took me ages to get the last of the big beetles that came out in July.
@United Hobbit Do you know which fossil you need? Can keep my eye out for it if you like. Also, I take it you got a new job? I think I remember reading you saying you had some trouble at your last one?

United Hobbit

Yeah, the new things to catch will keep me coming back till next May or so, at least, as it took me ages to get the last of the big beetles that came out in July.
@United Hobbit Do you know which fossil you need? Can keep my eye out for it if you like. Also, I take it you got a new job? I think I remember reading you saying you had some trouble at your last one?
Ooh can you gift fossils? I'll need to take a look but I *think* its the diplodocus neck but I'd need to double check

Thank you for asking about my job, yes fortunately got offered 2, one with the NHS and another with an academy that oversees several schools in the area, i went with that one as the NHS one while lovely was only part time and too much of a pay drop. I start in a week's time Currently on my first of 2 weeks off. Hilariously my company I was being made redundant from all but admitted theyd fecked up and didnt realise what I did and my manager thinks they would have kept me if I hadn't found something else. Going to stick my money in premium bonds for now. Is your job etc all good? Really appreciate you remembering and asking after me :)

decorativeed

Ooh can you gift fossils? I'll need to take a look but I *think* its the diplodocus neck but I'd need to double check

Thank you for asking about my job, yes fortunately got offered 2, one with the NHS and another with an academy that oversees several schools in the area, i went with that one as the NHS one while lovely was only part time and too much of a pay drop. I start in a week's time Currently on my first of 2 weeks off. Hilariously my company I was being made redundant from all but admitted theyd fecked up and didnt realise what I did and my manager thinks they would have kept me if I hadn't found something else. Going to stick my money in premium bonds for now. Is your job etc all good? Really appreciate you remembering and asking after me :)
Glad to hear you're all sorted, that's great news. We're just investing our money in the mortgage, I don't even really know what premium bonds are to be honest! You may be more sensible than me.

My job seems okay at the moment, but we rely on people coming in and paying the entrance fee more than anything, so expecting the shit to hit the fan at some point soon. Hoping the fact I was one of the 20% who weren't furloughed at any point will work in my favour.

United Hobbit

Glad to hear you're all sorted, that's great news. We're just investing our money in the mortgage, I don't even really know what premium bonds are to be honest! You may be more sensible than me.

My job seems okay at the moment, but we rely on people coming in and paying the entrance fee more than anything, so expecting the shit to hit the fan at some point soon. Hoping the fact I was one of the 20% who weren't furloughed at any point will work in my favour.
If mine was more I'd use it to reduce the mortgage, i can get it back quickly if we need it for emergencies, down the line it'll probably be used towards something house related. Some people would do shares but I'm far too risk averse and don't understand it enough to take that risk

Glad yours seems OK hopefully it will stay that way, does business tend to do well in the winter? Fingers crossed everything stays stable for you both

decorativeed

If mine was more I'd use it to reduce the mortgage, i can get it back quickly if we need it for emergencies, down the line it'll probably be used towards something house related. Some people would do shares but I'm far too risk averse and don't understand it enough to take that risk

Glad yours seems OK hopefully it will stay that way, does business tend to do well in the winter? Fingers crossed everything stays stable for you both
A lot of our visitors come because of football matches, and many are overseas tourists, so traditionally winter has been good. I doubt it'll be the same this year though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
So since I can’t do more than 30 second videos. Here is some of my island on a throwaway twitter account.

Entrance, houses and start of main square.

Square, beach cafe, beach and other houses.

Shopping area and tranquil forest.

Museum, pier and gym.

Flower garden and then my house with the decked back garden.
That's awesome. Two questions how do you put paving down ? And can you move houses and buildings later in the game (?) because mine are scattered about a bit willy nilly at the moment. I've only just started moving trees that were annoying me.

For context I've only just paid off my first bridge, have 2 rooms in my house and looks like I'm getting a clothes shop tomorrow. So still pretty early on in the game. Just been playing for an hour or so a day.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's awesome. Two questions how do you put paving down ? And can you move houses and buildings later in the game (?) because mine are scattered about a bit willy nilly at the moment. I've only just started moving trees that were annoying me.

For context I've only just paid off my first bridge, have 2 rooms in my house and looks like I'm getting a clothes shop tomorrow. So still pretty early on in the game. Just been playing for an hour or so a day.
You will get given the kit to put paving down at some point. I can’t remember when though! And yep you can move houses and buildings but for a price and it happens overnight.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You will get given the kit to put paving down at some point. I can’t remember when though! And yep you can move houses and buildings but for a price and it happens overnight.
Excellent. I'll just potter on for now.

The worst thing about this game is it's hard to take the moral high ground in a row over gardening with the missus when you spend 10 mins every morning watering your virtual flowers and another 10 pulling out virtual weeds. Thankfully it's raining now (in real life, not the game).

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So I have had to buy a new Switch today after my old one died last night. Right now I have a devastated 6 year old as we can’t restore his 300 hour plus animal crossing island.

I have the online subscription and the game was fully backed up as of yesterday afternoon. But it can’t find it the data.

I have emailed Nintendo as it sounds as though you can’t move a save from one console (even when it’s broken) without their input.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
This game slaps real hard. Restarted my island recently and have such a good set of villagers

United Hobbit

Just checked as loaded up to catch the new bugs- its the diplodocus torso (front legs) that I still need if you're happy to send to me if you find it :)

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I'm starting to put in some hours into this again, didn't play it for a month but I'm back to playing every day now. It's not over before I get rid of Kid Cat, Celia and Leonardo.

decorativeed

I'm starting to put in some hours into this again, didn't play it for a month but I'm back to playing every day now. It's not over before I get rid of Kid Cat, Celia and Leonardo.
Have you tried inviting people to your campsite? Last time someone we liked came, they gave us the option of selecting a villager to move out. Was great, we finally booted Soleil out.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Have you tried inviting people to your campsite? Last time someone we liked came, they gave us the option of selecting a villager to move out. Was great, we finally booted Soleil out.
You can invite campers? Whenever there is a camper visiting I never get to pick which villager to move out instead, it's always someone I want to stay, like my man Beardo.

decorativeed

You can invite campers? Whenever there is a camper visiting I never get to pick which villager to move out instead, it's always someone I want to stay, like my man Beardo.
Yeah, that's usually the case, but it literally asked which villager he should ask if they want to leave. It showed an image of each villager and I picked Soleil. Only time that happened, though, so I don't know what triggered it. I think it was after inviting Shep using his amiibo (well, an NFC sticker clone of it).

If you have NFC on your phone, you can use an app called TagMo to turn cheap NFC stickers into amiibos, or you can try to track official ones down on ebay. That way you can choose pretty much any villager you want to visit.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
When they suggest a villager just turn off the game and keep trying until you get the one you want. But if you go past that specific dialogue where they first say a name it’s locked

United Hobbit

Can you send each other bugs? If so I'd love if someone could send me a banded dragonfly.
I didnt realise it was a different species to the darner one so I've been ignoring it... only to discover its really rare and of course now I need it I cant catch it as it just despawns. If it even spawns...

decorativeed

Can you send each other bugs? If so I'd love if someone could send me a banded dragonfly.
I didnt realise it was a different species to the darner one so I've been ignoring it... only to discover its really rare and of course now I need it I cant catch it as it just despawns. If it even spawns...
No, I don't think you can.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I randomly decided for the first time in months to lay on my bed and go to sleep and man was I perplexed for a sec, thought I knew of all of the game's features.

decorativeed

I randomly decided for the first time in months to lay on my bed and go to sleep and man was I perplexed for a sec, thought I knew of all of the game's features.
It was the main bit of the most recent update. I've visited some really hectic islands with that, and there are definitely some cheaters around! Some people have 100% complete museums already, which shouldn't be possible without huge amounts of cheating.

decorativeed

So I have had to buy a new Switch today after my old one died last night. Right now I have a devastated 6 year old as we can’t restore his 300 hour plus animal crossing island.

I have the online subscription and the game was fully backed up as of yesterday afternoon. But it can’t find it the data.

I have emailed Nintendo as it sounds as though you can’t move a save from one console (even when it’s broken) without their input.
Did you get this sorted? I thought this was the whole reason they brought in cloud saves with the most recent update?

decorativeed

I just caught a banded dragonfly if you want to give it a try. I think at the very least, If I left it on your island, you can donate it to the museum. Not sure it'll show up in your critterpedia though.

Also, does anyone have a wooden bookshelf recipe? We've been trying to get one for months! Also looking for a classic library wall. Got a golden casket recipe to trade.

Garethw

Did you get this sorted? I thought this was the whole reason they brought in cloud saves with the most recent update?
Yes mate all sorted thanks. It was a massive pain in the arse though. I had to speak with Nintendo as only they can authorise a save to be moved to a new console. They also say that they can’t guarantee that it will be restored.

decorativeed

Yes mate all sorted thanks. It was a massive pain in the arse though. I had to speak with Nintendo as only they can authorise a save to be moved to a new console. They also say that they can’t guarantee that it will be restored.
Nintendo seem to be really out to make routine things as difficult as possible for their customers, don't they? As if only allowing one save per console wasn't ridiculously restrictive already!

My wife used to play the mobile one, Pocket Camp. She got a new phone and all the progress vanished, despite it being through Google Play, because of Nintendo's insistance that you can only recover your data through a Nintendo account, which she didn't have at the time. It didn't make it clear that all progress would be lost, unlike almost every other game out there that is linked to your google account.

Garethw

Nintendo seem to be really out to make routine things as difficult as possible for their customers, don't they? As if only allowing one save per console wasn't ridiculously restrictive already!

My wife used to play the mobile one, Pocket Camp. She got a new phone and all the progress vanished, despite it being through Google Play, because of Nintendo's insistance that you can only recover your data through a Nintendo account, which she didn't have at the time. It didn't make it clear that all progress would be lost, unlike almost every other game out there that is linked to your google account.
it really is crazy mate. My six year old had put about 300 hours into it and I was so worried that he’d lost all that progress.

I was told that they don’t want you to be able to access your AC save from multiple Switch Consoles.

So just to clarify in case anyone else has this issue, if you factory reset your switch, as long as you enabled it before hand, you can re-download your Save back onto the same switch yourself by pressing the - button as soon as you see the Nintendo logo when the game is loading. This brings up Tom Nook who asks if you want to download a cloud save.

If you have to buy a new switch then there is no way to use the cloud function to download Your island yourself. You have to contact Nintendo customer support directly via phone or e-mail.

Terrible, unnecessary and very stressful.

United Hobbit

I just caught a banded dragonfly if you want to give it a try. I think at the very least, If I left it on your island, you can donate it to the museum. Not sure it'll show up in your critterpedia though.

Also, does anyone have a wooden bookshelf recipe? We've been trying to get one for months! Also looking for a classic library wall. Got a golden casket recipe to trade.
Thank you for the offer, funnily enough managed to catch one by chance the other day!
Just need my diplodocus torso then I'll have all "available to date" things

decorativeed

Thank you for the offer, funnily enough managed to catch one by chance the other day!
Just need my diplodocus torso then I'll have all "available to date" things
Yeah, I'm still keeping my eye out for that. Keep a look out for those wooden bookshelves / DIY recipe for one for me?

United Hobbit

Yeah, I'm still keeping my eye out for that. Keep a look out for those wooden bookshelves / DIY recipe for one for me?
I can recall building a bookshelf myself as I like books so was pleased when I had the recipe. However would I then need a 2nd version of said recipe to send you? Or could I share the one I've already "learnt?" I think it's quite small as its just 2 rows of books. I think i have a library wall as well but again it depends if you can share learnt recipes or if it has to be a new card?
I'll try and keep an eye out though ny participation until the next round of bugs/ fish/ creatures will probably be quite minimal as I've got bored of doing the same tasks but when I next log in I'll keep my eye out, remind me in October if you haven't found one by then :)

decorativeed

I can recall building a bookshelf myself as I like books so was pleased when I had the recipe. However would I then need a 2nd version of said recipe to send you? Or could I share the one I've already "learnt?" I think it's quite small as its just 2 rows of books. I think i have a library wall as well but again it depends if you can share learnt recipes or if it has to be a new card?
I'll try and keep an eye out though ny participation until the next round of bugs/ fish/ creatures will probably be quite minimal as I've got bored of doing the same tasks but when I next log in I'll keep my eye out, remind me in October if you haven't found one by then :)
No, I think once you've learned it, that's it, at least until someone gives you a second version of it, then you can give that away.

The one I'm after is a four shelf version: https://nookipedia.com/wiki/Item:Wooden_Bookshelf_(New_Horizons)

United Hobbit

No, I think once you've learned it, that's it, at least until someone gives you a second version of it, then you can give that away.

The one I'm after is a four shelf version: https://nookipedia.com/wiki/Item:Wooden_Bookshelf_(New_Horizons)
Ah surprise they make it difficult! In real life you'd only be sharing recipes youve learnt so it's annoying the game isn't the same way!

I'm not entirely sure i have that myself ill have a look next time I'm on :) just remind me if you don't hear!