Film Annoying Movie/TV Tropes

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
People not saying hello or goodbye on the phone.

Cars not being able to come to a stop without the brakes screeching or being able to begin accelerating without some wheel-spin.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
The neighbour who seen the gang murder always being a geriatric black woman with glasses who is clearly tormented by the gang but always grasses them up when a black police has a word with her.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
American cops never eating anything except fast food.

Every Irish accent being one I've never heard before.

People coming home from work and the lights are already on in their apartment. Don't they know it costs money?

Toothpicks being synonymous with street thugs.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
People waking up in the morning and not needing to go straight into the toilet for a piss. No human has a bladder that strong.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Characters talking about Sisyphus, always annoys me.

Seems to happen in every other "quality" TV show.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Detectives spotting the suspect and shouting out to him when they're still 50 metres away, even though he hasn't noticed them. Why don't they walk right up to him?

The female officer and the newest recruit being the ones who find themselves face to face with the dangerous killer.

justsomebloke

Pretty much everyone (in America) lives in a nice, tastefully decorated apartment or house. If you don't, it's a telltale sign that you're spectacularly dysfunctional in some way.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The Red Shirt on Star Trek (Original) always buys it.

The young airman during WWII taking his photo of his sweetheart out and showing it to his new mates, 'Yes, she's a corker, we're getting married on my next leave'. Bought it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
When the only way the director can convince you something shocking just happened is by having the protagonist throw up.

Also, when a cop tells another cop, "Boss, you need to see this." It's only ever going to be something creatively gruesome. Just once, I'd like it if that guy lead his boss down a series of long corridors before walking him into a room containing a plate of food and saying, "I balanced three doughnuts on top of each other!"

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Getting the jump on a villain and then immediately going to check on the good guys instead of finishing them off.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Then characters will say something to each other and the next scene will have them continue the conversation even though they are now in a different place like did they just wait till they went somewhere else to finish the sentence
Yep, this grinds my gears. It's the filmmakers choosing "keep the attention, keep things moving" over logic.

Being able to have a conversation in a nightclub

Have they ever been to a nightclub?
Yeah, this is really annoying. Trainspotting got it right, with the subtitles.

How about when a character gets conveniently knocked out and then wakes up hours/days later in a different location. Apparently if you got knocked out for this long, you'd be looking at severe brain damage.

Another trope that does my head in, is when the main character is at school/uni and the teacher/lecturer is talking about something that happens to be related to the themes of the film/show. I know this is not necessarily wrong, and is a perfectly fine device to use, but... I just don't like it. It takes me out of the show.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That thing where they zoom in on the really important item that will much later save the day.

E.g. zoom in on spanner on the floor. Later, doing something with that spanner saves the hero's life

Tarrou

when someone coughs in a movie it basically means they’re dead already.. no fecker just coughs without it being a deadly disease

same thing for women who throw up.. guaranteed preggers

Moby

Dick
“Can I take you out Friday night?”

“Sure”

“Great, I’ll see you then”

What time? Where? Are you picking me up? What are we doing? Should I eat first? What should I wear?
It's a 90 minute movie dude.

That sounds like a Sheldon Cooper level criticism.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That thing where they zoom in on the really important item that will much later save the day.

E.g. zoom in on spanner on the floor. Later, doing something with that spanner saves the hero's life
Of course, the alternative is not showing the object being there, and then later on a character picking it up out of nowhere, - followed by someone posting here how they hate how useful objects conveniently appear out of nowhere in movies. :wenger:

Big Andy

Bloke
When a character dies with open eyes and another character hovers their flat hand over the dead person's face, and then the open eyes are magically closed

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Sepia tint and heat lines whenever the movie moves away from Europe/USA to Asia/Africa/South America.

Fingeredmouse

People never locking their cars and also when there's always a parking spot right where they want to stop, even in a huge city.
Sure, but not even Coppola is pulling off a ten minute drive around the block a few times and ending up nervously parked on double yellows scene I shouldn't imagine.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Action movies pretending the protagonist is in any kind of danger. It's a genre for idiots if you think about it.
That's what makes Jackie Chan films great. You're watching actors/stuntmen doing dangerous shit and getting hurt, badly. Sometimes the botched stunt is the take it in the film and watching people in actual pain or missing a tooth they lost in the previous sequence makes for a more immersive experience.

AkaAkuma

Women getting out of bed whilst holding the duvet.
Guy gets out and puts his jeans on straight away

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Drinking from an empty cup is always weird, and very noticeable, especially when it's a disposable cup. You can tell the way they lift it that there is no weight to it. Why not just put a bit of water in it?

Action movie fight scenes with one good guy and several bad guys. The bad guys take it in turns to try and take down the good guy, one at a time. Every Batman film has him heavily outnumbered by goons at some point in the film, but the baddies all join a queue, and patiently wait for their turn to take a swing at Bats. Just pile on him.

If the scene in a film/show goes down to the subway, someone is getting done in. There's never a subway scene where someone just carries out their commute. Only bad stuff happens in the subway.

When someone is on the phone, and they get hung up on, the dial tone is audible to the viewer, but the person on the phone will keep saying "hello?! hello?!" like they don't know what a dial tone is, and that the dial tone is going to be interrupted by the call reconnecting.

Conor

Treating all non-lethal bullet wounds like they are from some pea shooter, someone can be sniped in the arm from a large caliber rifle, yet continue along like it was a graze from a handbag pistol.

dinostar77

Scenes where there is breakfast laid out. Someone will ignore all the stacks of pancakes, or bacon and eggs. Take a sip of OJ and a slice of toast and leave.

Wtf?!? Who does that? Especially sips of OJ from a full glass. OJ aint cheap. Whats going to happen to the rest of the breakfast? Who will eat it. We need answers god damn it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People never locking their cars and also when there's always a parking spot right where they want to stop, even in a huge city.
This just reminded me of another - if you’re ever in need of a vehicle in the US just get into the first one you see and the keys will be stored behind the fold down sun visor.