Another 'would you rather' scenario(Haaland vs 3 new players)

OleBoiii

We all want Haaland. But most of us want a DM as well. And maybe even a winger or a CB? It's needless to say that we're not getting Haaland, with his 130 million pound evaluation, and 2-3 more players on top of this. Haaland alone might be too expensive even if we were to sell some players. And we might not even be his preferred destination. Which begs the question....

Assuming that we have roughly 130 million pounds in the transfer budget this summer, would you rather we:

1. Spend it all on Haaland
or
2. Spend it on 2 or 3 other players (combined value of 130 million)

Personally I'm leaning towards number 1.

Haaland alone is probably not gonna be enough to win the title already next year, but it should be enough for a title challenge at the very least. Players like Haaland are just too great and too rare to pass up. If he's willing to join us and Dortmund is willing to sell for market value, then it's a no-brainer to me.

EDIT:
In case it wasn't clear: the transfer budget is 130 million in either case! So if you go for option 2, we still spend 130 million on players. But none of them are Haaland.

Last edited:

stevoc

Depends on the other 2-3 players doesn't it.

No idea what the budget will be this summer but whatever it is, if we could sign a top right winger, a solid defensive midfielder and a pacy centreback then i'd go for option 2.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Depends on who the other 2-3 players.

If we are talking about quality players then they will close much more than what Haaland would cost. If they are just average ones, then would go with Haaland. We have bloated squad, don't need more average players.

Siorac

Really, the only sensible answer. If those three players are the equivalents of Schneiderlin, Darmian, and I don't know, Mkhitaryan then feck no, go for Haaland. But it's eminently possible to sign three players who represent more of an improvement than a single striker.

So yeah, it all depends on what the budget is and who's available and attainable.

laughtersassassin

Halaand because those 2-3 other players could be 18 and bench players for all I know

Ideal summer for me is Halaand and a CDM and keep Pogba

OleBoiii

No idea what the budget will be this summer but whatever it is, if we could sign a top right winger, a solid defensive midfielder and a pacy centreback then i'd go for option 2.
Depends on who the other 2-3 players.

If we are talking about quality players then they will close much more than what Haaland would cost. If they are just average ones, then would go with Haaland. We have bloated squad, don't need more average players.
Really, the only sensible answer. If those three players are the equivalents of Schneiderlin, Darmian, and I don't know, Mkhitaryan then feck no, go for Haaland. But it's eminently possible to sign three players who represent more of an improvement than a single striker.

So yeah, it all depends on what the budget is and who's available and attainable.
The budget is the same in both scenarios.

That means if you go for option 2, then you are limited to one 50 million pound player and two 40 million pound players(for instance). It's possible to get quality for that price, but there's also a risk involved, as we know well by now :P

stevoc

That means if you go for option 2, then you are limited to one 50 million pound player and two 40 million pound players(for instance). It's possible to get quality for that price, but there's also a risk involved, as we know well by now :P
Where have you got this £130m budget from though?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Again depends on who the 2-3 players are. If we signing 2 Freds and a AWB, I would go for Haaland.

If we are signing Mane, Salah, Fabinho then I will go 3 players than Haaland.

OleBoiii

Where have you got this £130m budget from though?
Purely hypothetical, but based on Haaland's market value to make it fair.

Again depends on who the 2-3 players are. If we signing 2 Freds and a AWB, I would go for Haaland.

If we are signing Mane, Salah, Fabinho then I will go 3 players than Haaland.
You never really know if a 40-50 million pound player will work out great. It's almost a coin toss, even for the players that seem pretty safe. But getting the desired side of the coin 3 times in a row isn't that unlikely either, so the upside is potentially much greater than Haaland.

So basically: do you find so Haaland so valuable that you'd rather sign him than potentially getting 3 great new starters? I personally do.

And it's not really a crazy scenario. 130 million is "only" 50 million more than last summer, but we'll also probably make more money in player sales this time. We could really end up in a situation where the club "only" signs Haaland and no one else. I'm curious if people in here would be happy with that, or if they'd rather have taken their chances on 2-3 players for the same budget.

stevoc

Purely hypothetical, but based on Haaland's market value to make it fair.
Well then hypothetically we could sign a world class right winger for £80m and scout two unearthed gems for DM and CB for £25m each. Problem solved.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would rather get 3 starting 11 CB, DM & RW, but if we’re talking 3 players who are gonna sit on the bench, I’d take Haaland.

OleBoiii

Well then hypothetically we could sign a world class right winger for £80m and scout two unearthed gems for DM and CB for £25m each. Problem solved.
Sure, if you think that is as likely as the hypothetical I posted then we can play that game...

3rd option added: we get 11 world class players for free.

I pick that one.

Eire Red United

Haaland is gonna be up there as one of the top 2/3 players in the world for the next 10/15 years. It’s an absolute no brainer to sign him if possible. Look at the difference RVP made to us that season. Imagine that for a decade.

Zlatattack

Our squad isn't in the position where it needs more squad players. We need players to improve the firxt XI and they don't come cheap.

I'd go for Haaland. At least we have another WC player. It'd mean the ST position being sewn up.

Brightonian

Player value isn't fixed so it's impossible to say. Tell me which three I could get for £130m?

I'd say it's unlikely. When a wealthy club is buying, each individual player's value gets inflated a certain amount. So buying three players you will have to overpay more than you would for just one expensive one.

The three would need to be a #9, a right winger and a DM. But at £40-something million each, can we really guarantee we'd be buying quality worth disrupting the team so much for?

slored1

Weird question. If the three other players are for example Sancho, Rice and a CB, I'd rather the three players. If the three are Bebe, Obertan and Diouf, I'd rather Haaland.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This seasons team is pretty much the same group of players as last season and we've improved. There's no reason to doubt that we will not improve further next season, so I'd be absolutely fine (delighted in fact) with just adding Haaland to this squad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Haaland.

You can't buy a Haaland every year, they just don't exist. Usually 2/3 players good enough to improve your squad will be available over the next few years instead.

stevoc

Sure, if you think that is as likely as the hypothetical I posted then we can play that game...

3rd option added: we get 11 world class players for free.

I pick that one.
:lol:

Me too mate and it's just a bit more far fetched than us having exactly £130m to spend.

seegoblu

Camavinga for 50, Pau Torres for 40 and Pedro Goncalves for 40 would certainly strengthen the team, but Haaland is a unicorn and if he’s available you have to get him.

Holters

i'd rather take a world class player like Haaland and tie him down than three mediocre players... Our squad depth is quite good. We need better players for the starting eleven.

Tallis

Sancho for £85m, Fabian Ruiz for £45m and Puig on a free.

I take that over Haaland.

Jezpeza

Its all conveniently mapped out for the board - spend nothing this summer to ‘save the money for haaland’ then not get him when every team in europe pays his release clause and he chooses to move elsewhere next summer.

in this instance i would take your arm off for the other 3 players if it meant we sign a quality cb, cdm and rw this summer. Haaland snubbed us once already and has that fat c**t as his agent. Little chance he will come here so stupid to wait another season to offer him a deal he snubs anyway

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dream summer for me with a 80m net spend is:
  • RW - Sancho - 70m
  • RB depth - Trippier - 10m
  • CB in - 45m
  • Keep Pogba
  • Lingard, Dalot, Pereira, Mata out - 45m combined in fees, more in wages
Don't think we'll do anything with midfield unless Pogba leaves, plus I'd expect a big improvement from VdB too as he hasn't had an impact this year (unless he leaves too).

Andy_Cole

We got 3 players last summer in Cavani, VDB, Telles.

I would’ve preferred Sancho personally.

In this case I prefer Haaland!

laughtersassassin

Dream summer for me with a 80m net spend is:
  • RW - Sancho - 70m
  • RB depth - Trippier - 10m
  • CB in - 45m
  • Keep Pogba
  • Lingard, Dalot, Pereira, Mata out - 45m combined in fees, more in wages
Don't think we'll do anything with midfield unless Pogba leaves, plus I'd expect a big improvement from VdB too as he hasn't had an impact this year (unless he leaves too).
You still think CB over CDM? Personally think we see way too much of Fred and McT together and with Matic playing less every year it will only get worse.

CDM more important for me.

Artorias

Haaland by far. Knowing united scout team, we'll end buying average squad players for that money.

gza the genius

One player isn't enough to fix our issues no matter how good that one player is. Plus I get the feeling Haaland won't be sticking around at any one club for very long so there's no real point in getting him if we aren't ready to seriously challenge for the EPL and UCL immediately.

I'd rather go for Sancho at 70-80mil and then spend the rest on a DM. Convince Cavani to stay an extra season and maybe get Ramos or someone on a free and we'd be looking very good.

bosnian_red

You still think CB over CDM? Personally think we see way too much of Fred and McT together and with Matic playing less every year it will only get worse.

CDM more important for me.
Either a CDM or CB, I just don't see any links with any midfielder so I doubt it. RW and striker we see regular links, Trippier as a backup to Wan Bissaka just makes sense, and then I only see us signing a midfielder if Pogba goes. Loads of links to centerbacks, none to midfielders.

SuperiorXI

Haaland would be a perfect signing, he'd walk straight into that CF position and make it his own. It is the type of signing that transforms a team.

laughtersassassin

Either a CDM or CB, I just don't see any links with any midfielder so I doubt it. RW and striker we see regular links, Trippier as a backup to Wan Bissaka just makes sense, and then I only see us signing a midfielder if Pogba goes. Loads of links to centerbacks, none to midfielders.
True but all those links was when our CBs where playing terrible.

Overall our midfield is worse than our centre backs. We simply play McT and Fred together way too much. Individually they aren't good enough bro be playing together.

It's very clear by now.

CBs looks way more steady with Hendo in goal

bosnian_red

True but all those links was when our CBs where playing terrible.

Overall our midfield is worse than our centre backs. We simply play McT and Fred together way too much. Individually they aren't good enough bro be playing together.

It's very clear by now.

CBs looks way more steady with Hendo in goal
I agree but you have to keep in mind we have Pogba and Van de Beek here. Unless one gets sold, we aren't adding more numbers regardless of need.

Ideally, yeah, keep Pogba, sign a DM, use Fred and mctom as squad players. But I don't see it happening at all.

laughtersassassin

I agree but you have to keep in mind we have Pogba and Van de Beek here. Unless one gets sold, we aren't adding more numbers regardless of need.

Ideally, yeah, keep Pogba, sign a DM, use Fred and mctom as squad players. But I don't see it happening at all.
A big reason we won't see the required progression so.

Sell or let go Matic Andreas Mata and lingard and a CDM is very doable

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just entertaining this scenario to flesh it out - what assumption of a net spend are we working with, that we can make do with a 60m EUR net spend?

Scenario - Keep Pogba (sell DDG/Martial/Lingard) + get Haaland
Offload DDG - 50m EUR (perhaps PSG/Juve will be suitors)
Offload Martial - 40m EUR (not sure on suitors but 40m should attract even big names)
Offload Lingard - 20m EUR (assuming West Ham want to keep)

Buy Haaland - 120m EUR (is this what it takes?)
Buy Koulibali/Varane/ or equivalent - 45m EUR?

Net spend: 55m EUR

Scenario 2 - Sell Pogba + Get Haaland

Offload DDG - 50m EUR (perhaps PSG/Juve will be suitors)
Offload Lingard - 20m EUR (assuming West Ham want to keep)
Offload Pogba - 60m EUR

Buy Haaland - 120m EUR
Buy Kounde -70m EUR release clause

Net spend: 60m EUR.

Scenario 2 is more of a plausible scenario as 1) we keep Martial and 2) assume Pogba goes as he wants out, we should nip that in the bud in my opinion.

- Both scenarios assume DDG is moved on, so they are both presumptuous in that regard - but we know Henderson is pushing to be number 1 or leave, so there is a decision to be made this summer.
- We also don't know how much Dortmund want upfront for Haaland.

It would work out better cost wise if we got Sancho as he's probably available for 40m EUR less and that can be the difference of our defender being a Varane/Koulibali ilk or a Kounde (who can play well at RB, DM and CB). In any case, there is a way you can get Haaland and a good defender/right winger/ defensive midfielder for an extra 45m.

Devil may care

Haaland is a classic #9 and we don't create enough chances to utilize him properly so I'd go for the 3 signings.

Crashoutcassius

If the three are duffers then we should buy quality not quantity. We went quantity last summer which we needed but hopefully ole has time at the club and we can add 3 quality players over the summer Jan and next summer