Anthony Elanga | 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

No one going to comment about how rapid he looked?

Leicester defended and pressed us well, with us being shite at holding the ball so there was little opportunity for him and Amad to get on the ball or run into spaces.

Will be interesting to see how he develops.
We all know he is very pacy! ;)
the issue today is that our midfield and full backs cannot prepare a quick transition from defensive to offensive play. Thus, none of front three have space and opportunity to run really. With McFred and Bruno, our transition can be lightening fast. Today, we were pinned inside our half and couldn’t even get out.

gza the genius

I thought he looked alright, made some good runs that Telles didn't pick up on and seemed good with the ball at his feet. I didn't think he looked any better/worse than Diallo really. Overall pretty decent for a first start in a disjointed team.

criticalanalysis

We all know he is very pacy! ;)
the issue today is that our midfield and full backs cannot prepare a quick transition from defensive to offensive play. Thus, none of front three have space and opportunity to run really. With McFred and Bruno, our transition can be lightening fast. Today, we were pinned inside our half and couldn’t even get out.
First time I've seen him play or had paid attention so was really surprised. To be fair it looked like serious-can-translate-to-senior-level pace. You hear it about Greenwood or Amad but as we've seen it simply doesn't translate that easily.

I'm only judging on the few snippets of the times he had some open space but it looks closer to Rashford type of pace i.e really impressive. His gait/running style reminds me of Coman.

I thought he was okay on the ball but yes as you said, nobody had the platform to perform.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Disappointed that he didn't try to beat his man more often. Had a good chance to use his pace once but turned back home. I can understand him being more careful and wanting to play it safe, but maybe should've used his strengths instead.
He tried but got outmuscled

I was watching with no commentary and didn't even notice he was playing until i saw the team sheet after the game. He didn't really do anything good or bad, but it's unfair to expect much more in that team and those circumstances.

Rashford was talking the other day about how he and some of the other academy guys didn't feel ready when they first made the matchday squad, can't help feeling some of our youngsters were the same yesterday.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There was a moment in the first half where he chased back and got a block on the cross, he looked so so quick.

With a bit more confidence and getting used to the mens level, he could be a genuine weapon.

For his first senior appearance against a decent Leicester side it wasn't bad at all tbh.

flappyjay

Ole is going to have have to figure out how to give him minutes here and there. Then there is also Amad and Shoretire then soon there will be Hannibal and Pellestri will return from his loan. We may possibly have to find Amad and pellestri good loans.

GueRed

A pretty solid debut. Happy for him.

Possible loan next season I think....

He needs to start playing mens football on the regular.

SoCross

There was a moment in the first half where he chased back and got a block on the cross, he looked so so quick.

With a bit more confidence and getting used to the mens level, he could be a genuine weapon.

For his first senior appearance against a decent Leicester side it wasn't bad at all tbh.
Yep he looked rapid!

Its hard to judge Elanga on that appearance but I think he was quite mature. Was very willing to help out his full back and pressed well. Would be interesting to see him on the left with a McFred midfield, Shaw at LB and Bruno playing central.

city-puma

Ole is going to have have to figure out how to give him minutes here and there. Then there is also Amad and Shoretire then soon there will be Hannibal and Pellestri will return from his loan. We may possibly have to find Amad and pellestri good loans.
When watching the game, I kept thinking what it could be if we send in Hannibal rather than Mata there. I just felt we probably could have a lot of more dynamics from our transition.

Alemar

Just nothing special. But not bad, I would agree - average performance vs a very good opponent. VDB, Mata or Williams were worse

The Purley King

He did OK. Wasn't massively involved, but not all of that was his own fault.
Physically he looks ready, I'd definitely loan him out next season so he can play mens football regularly.
I didn't realise he was so quick. Looks like Mbappe level of speed, just outrageous. Will be very interested to see how he progresses.

CM10

I think he did quite well. Nothing spectacular but he handled himself pretty well for a youth player making his debut. There were more experienced players out there who didn't look as comfortable.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah.. once. The problem was that he did it in the wrong situation. He then had a great chance and I don't think they would've stopped him but he got careful and turned back home. I guess it's an experience thing.
‘I’m sure he tried it 2-3x

dal

Amads more of a Greenwood technically and Elanga more of a James from what I’ve seen in one game.

And from that one game I decided Elanga should replace James in the squad.

Tony247

Don't want to pick negatives. He has a long way to go to become first team regular. Good for him to get first chance. All the best and keep working hard.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looks to me like he'll be playing as the striker today.

kundalini

Super header for his goal. Wasted Telles' super pass early on, then poor left foot shot well wide soon after. Strange attempt over from near the edge of the area, in the 2nd half. One run when his speed was in evidence. Anonymous for long spells.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Great header. Very few players in our squad would go for that, so that's great to see.

Seems like he's already learnt alot from his two outings. Looked far more physically ready today and it showed.
Got great speed on him too.

Another interesting player to keep an eye on.

Thiagoal

I think he was just a little nervous when it came to finishing today. His movement and general play was very impressive though! He’s so clinical in the U23’s I think he’ll have a great career

adkb

So happy for him. His previous match was not very good for him, but he still did not drop his shoulders. Could have easily had another goal today, but I am just happy for him. Hope we see more of these cameos.

city-puma

The bullet header is the classic fergie era goal! What a day for Elanga! Pleased for him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Needs a loan to a championship side next season where he can get a starting job.

With his pace, he's going to be a handful once he gets more experience in.

Devil may care

He's a tidy player with a good engine and he makes smart runs off the ball, took his goal superbly and got himself in a great position to score just prior to that.

Bertie Wooster

Delighted for him getting his first senior goal. :drool:

He's definitely got potential with his pace, mobility, footwork, and decent finishing ability. And the ability to play all across the front line - especially wide left or though the middle.

I've enjoyed watching him in the U23's all season, and this is a lovely way for him to end the league campaign.

A-man

Lovely to see how relaxed he played today compared to last time. My motm.

CM10

I like the look of this kid. He hasn't looked intimidated in either game so far, applied himself well and made some nice runs.

Not sure whether he'll make it here long-term but good to see a young player from the academy doing well nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.