Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s thoroughly understandable for him to think that Rashford wasn’t going to bother to shoot there.

NoPace

Feels like his effort and ability to not lose the ball under pressure and lack of flair means he'll be best as a 4-4-2 RW. I bet he has a better career for Sweden than at club level because they love to play 4-4-2 and he can do the work out wide and still get forward a bit and leave Isak and Kulusevski

youmeletsfly

Feels like his effort and ability to not lose the ball under pressure and lack of flair means he'll be best as a 4-4-2 RW. I bet he has a better career for Sweden than at club level because they love to play 4-4-2 and he can do the work out wide and still get forward a bit and leave Isak and Kulusevski
The only place he'll be better is in the championship.

He has an awful first touch, can't hold the ball, can't really finish but oy, he runs a lot and is a United youngster, maybe he'll come good after stinking the place up for 15 years.

This club never learns. He is just a MCT on the right wing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That’s it basically. Not good enough yet still starts for us on merit. The forward line we’ve assembled is hilariously bad
Couldn't agree more.
Not only are the players poor, they don't complement eacgother at all. Awful combination.

JeffFromHK

We keep producing/nurturing same kind of player. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Elanga are all same kind of players. Pacy players that are neither CF nor winger.

Litch

Like him a lot, his problem is weirdly Rashford. Whilst he’s got his chance cause Rashford has been poor, he’s probably played too much for the same reason.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He's technically very poor. Remove his speed and there's not much there.
I kind of agree with this. Anyone who says with any certainty that he’ll make it at Utd is being hopeful rather than realistic. He works hard and is quick but that applies to so many forwards. If you are young enough, and you’re a youth product and work hard, it seems you get elevated to wonder kid status far too quickly, not just at Utd but at most clubs. He’s not technically outstanding, he certainly doesn’t have the talent of a Greenwood or Amad for example and yet he’s somehow a regular starter.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's technically very poor. Remove his speed and there's not much there.
A bit harsh.

To me he has been overplayed, seems to have lost some of initial confidence, and is getting bogged down in the first team, to expect him to shine in a team like this is asking alot imo.

If we hadn't had all the issues we'd had up top this season, he'd be coming on in a few games off the bench, and be standing out in the U21's, as someone said he is almost a victim of how bad Rashford has been.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At the moment he’s getting chances because he’s pacy and puts the yards in, not because the club see him as a long term solution. If the other lazy fcuks would put the yards in he’d be back on the bench

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't go in on young academy players too much. He's only playing because the season is a shambles.

Excited to see how he gets on next season under a new coach. Admittedly I expect that to be from the bench but still think he has his uses.

The season is a write off. Let's not further castigate the players who we will need next season to step up.

El Jefe

Can't compare him to Januzaj yet who was superb on the ball in his first season.
Oh i agree, this wasn't a comparison of style. Adnan came through when our team was hopeless and Elanga has sort of done the same but obviously with a lot less quality and talent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The problem with a player like Elanga is if he's worth the cultivation. In a proper United squad, he'd not get any playing time at all - whether he'll make the grade when all is said and done a few years down the line remains to be seen, but in normal times, he'd be working his way through the reserves and then out on loan, and certainly nowhere near United 1st team squad.

It's unfair he's been thrown into this dung heap of a season with the pressure and spotlight it brings; some will wish him well and hope for the best for him, but as can be seen in this thread, others will judge him solely on being a 1st squad player and nothing else, whether that's harsh or not, who can say - more that once you're in the 1st squad, things are completely different and mightn't be fair.

For myself, he's just an average reserve player, nothing prodigious or special, so I have no expectation or critique of his game, and if he's out of his depth, the blame lays at the feet of those putting him in those predicaments because, he's not equipped to be out there, and if he is struggling, should be hooked to get him out of the line of fire.

With his linear level across the board (looks average at most things), in my opinion, it's going to take 18 months to two years before we really get to see where he's at, which is the generic window for normal players coming up and through the system and there's no shame in that. We're seeing a really undercooked youngster playing in a disjointed team with no support or guidance... what could possibly go wrong?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He was in the right place at the right time, in terms of getting his chance in the first team - and fair play to him hes done enough to merit being picked over Rashford and others. For me he feels like another Macheda - a cult figure who is never truly good enough. I could see him going somewhere like a Burnley or Brighton and having a decent career though.

NoPace

The only place he'll be better is in the championship.

He has an awful first touch, can't hold the ball, can't really finish but oy, he runs a lot and is a United youngster, maybe he'll come good after stinking the place up for 15 years.

This club never learns. He is just a MCT on the right wing.
I mean Victor Claeson and guys like that have done really well for Sweden on the wing. I think Elanga has the hunger and pace to be really good for them in their classic 4-4-2.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Good person and a great work ethic but the talent isn't there , either we keep him as back up or sell him. He came good when called upon and thats admirable.

United in sin

Ten Hag or Poch will love this kid. He's come into a broken squad full of misfits and has overall made a good account for himself, including scoring uniteds only goal in the CL tie against Atletico. I'm looking forward to seeing him get minutes next season

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Overall he’s had one performance (Watford) that made me think he’s got something at first team level. The rest of the time I think he’s been terrible, including games he scored in. He’s rash and looks like the ball is a hot potato much of the time. There’s nothing currently in his game except running. Of all the attacking players who have made a breakthrough at United I’m perhaps most underwhelmed by Elanga.

Id be suprised if he isn’t just a kid who looks pretty good in u23s and goes on to have a career at a lower level. But I’ve been wrong before.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Bloody hell give him a chance. He might not be ripping up trees right now but at least he carries some hope for the future.

Man Utd 3:2 Norwich

Ekeke

Ronaldo will get the plaudits for his hatrick as he should, but Elanga was great too. He makes making a good choice and playing a good pass with some tempo look easy, is miles ahead of Rashford and did a good job even at rightback

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Kind of a new Lingard, in function. Does the hard running and seems to have good situational awareness, but I'm not still not seeing the raw quality for a United forward.

Still, can we make him player of the season please?

edgecutter

He'll never be a top player, but at least he works hard and wants to play for the club each time he's out on the pitch. A model pro compared to some of the shite we see on the pitch.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Kind of a new Lingard, in function. Does the hard running and seems to have good situational awareness, but I'm not still not seeing the raw quality for a United forward.

Nah he has more in his locker technique and athleticism wise than Lingard, just without the wonder goals.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was decent for most of the game, which sadly made him one of our better players. But then he actually started playing really well (on the ball at least) when he moved to fullback and his combination with Mata down the right was creating a lot of space.

Ekeke

Quite a bit faster than Lingard and other than about 6 months in 1 season Lingard never played as well for us as Elanga has done this season. So there is that.

Lingard's "function" was always overrated and became a myth. He had fabled off the ball movement that resulted in 1 or 2 good runs a match that might get him in with the right pass. Someone with average movement does that. He has always pressed a bit better than our other wide players so there is that part.

Jev

Quite a bit faster than Lingard and other than about 6 months in 1 season Lingard never played as well for us as Elanga has done this season. So there is that.

Lingard's "function" was always overrated and became a myth. He had fabled off the ball movement that resulted in 1 or 2 good runs a match that might get him in with the right pass. Someone with average movement does that. He has always pressed a bit better than our other wide players so there is that part.
You're seriously underrating Lingard here. He was a starter and a standout performer for England at a World Cup. That doesn't happen unless you're a quality player. He lit up the league when given a sustained run and responsibility at West Ham. And yes, he has been better than Elanga for much of his United player. At the moment Elanga would do well to become as good a player as Lingard.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You're seriously underrating Lingard here. He was a starter and a standout performer for England at a World Cup. That doesn't happen unless you're a quality player. He lit up the league when given a sustained run and responsibility at West Ham. And yes, he has been better than Elanga for much of his United player. At the moment Elanga would do well to become as good a player as Lingard.
He lit up the league for about 10 games then assisted once and scored 0 in his last 6. He's had 2 periods of sustained form in his career and he's nearly 30. He was nowhere near one of England's stand out performers at that tournament, that's an absolute fantasy.

Trex

The most impressive thing about him is that he does the simple things well add that to his pace he could be more than decent in the right set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.