Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Surprised at some of the comments here. That’s two games in a row his directness and running has created an opening and a goal. He might not be the finished article, but he’s great at opening the game up for us.

Lewnited

It actually feels a bit unfair on him to be getting so much game time... he's so obviously not ready that I'm not sure how he's even pitch. His touch, intensity, strength etc are all below standard - just shouldn't be on the pitch.

marcus agrippa

Decent work for the goal but he's not up the mark at this level. We get pinned back because we have Players who don't have the technique/ intelligence / physicality to retain possession. He's one of them.
Bingo! The number of times the ball went up, just to come back again was infuriating.

If he can't make it a footrace, Elanga can't beat a man.

Telsim

He ran and contributed more than Rashford defensively, but that's it. He is Championship level and needs to be loaned if Antony comes.

FerociousCorgis

Honestly see no difference in him vs James. Both pretty much offer the same limited skill set. Need to see what garnacho can offer more and less of elanga please

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Elanga is a stopgap till we get a proper attacking player…or at least that’s what I’m hoping

Master Yoda

SHOCKING! I thought Tahith Chong was a joke but Elanga goes up a notch. I think he lost every single possession, no exaggeration there. Defenders cant breath without Elanga getting blown away. I dont see any potential Man United quality here, maybe in a different league but definitely not in PL.

Kag

He was a little better in the second half, but he’s nowhere near good enough to play at this level.

Based Adnan

Slightest breeze knocks him down and he never gets the call. I'm surprised he's getting the minutes he is when we have Garnacho and Amad ready and waiting.

Lecland07

There were a couple of good plays in the second half from in - one participating in the goal and the other where he failed to get off a shot (he needed to let loose a lot sooner when he got in the box) - better performance in the second half, but the first half showed that, unless he is against a player slower than him, he is going to struggle most of the time.

Hopefully, we stump up the €100m and sign Antony. Not saying he is worth it, but he is also a quality dribbler.

justboy68

Was terrible in the first half but had a good start to the second half and played a part in the goal. He's a stop gap solution for now though. Very good athlete but definitely not a good enough footballer in the long run.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Played well today - first touch a bit suspect but much more involved than Rashford.
Surely you're joking. He didn't play well at all, he was just as poor as he's always been. Can't do anything with the ball, loses it constantly and was practically invisible the entirety of the first half.

He has a decent moment in the second half but aside from that he was utterly poor and anonymous.

RedIan

Played a crucial part in the goal and deserves credit for the positive running with the ball. His final ball is often bad and he gets caught in possession a lot. Hes a little lucky to be in the team but we clearly have a lack of options in attack. Id like to see us try one of the other young attackers if we dont sign another attacker.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Bingo! The number of times the ball went up, just to come back again was infuriating.

If he can't make it a footrace, Elanga can't beat a man.
Yep. Even on occasion where he has the ball fully controlled on his feet(which he doesn't ever manage), when he tries to do anything be it take on someone or try to move the play forward, he ends up losing the ball right away.

He's ridiculously so poor on the ball.

criticalanalysis

Played well today - first touch a bit suspect but much more involved than Rashford.
His second half was almost as good as Sancho's first. The problem is when he plays as bad as his first half, when he's pushed away can't really fight the ball despite it seemed like one of his better qualities at start. At least the involvement in the first goal looked promising, but should really be our 4th 5th choice player in the position..
Involvement in the goal aside where he did well, you really need to watch an all touch compilation or something if it's available. His unsuccessful passes/dribble stat must be shocking. Not hyperbole, it was probably 50/50 bad or worse.

In Rainbows

I felt like the only time he did well was when he replicated the drill Ten Hag had the players do over summer. Pass the ball forward and run to receive the ball from that player. This only happened like 3 times, which kind of paints the picture of his performance.

He didn't do anything else well.

Baxquux

He's OK in terms of winning free kicks once he gets a head of steam and can cut across or get blind side of the defender. and then on the break he won't mislay every single pass, but he's at best a motivated Lingard style RFW but with his ceiling about 50% below Lingard's highest levels. He seems the sort receptive to basic tactical instructions about harrying and closing down lines, so if we can't sell him for 10m or similar, he offers an option for defending from the front and looking to release first-time tackle-passes to Martial or whoever ends up playing no.9 (I'd like to think Ronaldo makes a fairly graceful exit this window in so far as that's possible) for the last 15 minutes of games against higher defences.

On the other hand, Garnacho can also play right-sided forward, definitely has similar pace and surely can't be much less physically resilient, but is almost certainly technically better, so I'd like to see him trialed. Hopefully this is one of those situations where a good League Cup tie or two and the Europa League allows players like Garnacho/Iqbal to make their case as first reserves coming off the bench when we need both enthusiasm, fresh energy and a bit more guile.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He was quite poor. Ajax would've been watching this game and thinking they can ask for a bit more for Antony.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Honestly see no difference in him vs James. Both pretty much offer the same limited skill set. Need to see what garnacho can offer more and less of elanga please
Yeah he’s basically Dan James with a little less pace but slightly more technique. Essentially the same level player though.

And people say “oh he runs at people” as if there aren’t a million other things he doesn’t do up to standard that hurts us.

Idxomer

Another youngster who doesn't get his head up to see what's around him.

Should play way down the table.

Raven

He had a couple of good runs at the start of the second half, one of which basically created the goal but he's clearly not up to this level, yet atleast.

Member 125398

He had a couple of good runs at the start of the second half, one of which basically created the goal but he's clearly not up to this level, yet atleast.
He's already made himself a good squad player, obviously not ready to be a regular but all credit to him for his impact at such a young age. We've got a crazy schedule and should be happy to have young lads like him who put a shift in and have enough quality to have an impact on a match. He's never going to be Ronaldo but has an important supporting role.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's a young version of a squad player, he'll never be starting 11 material, but he suits the style of play better than CR at the moment due to his work rate and that seems to be the base we are building off of.

As others have said I'd have him at Dan James level, just not quite as quick but a very slightly better end product.

I've no issues him being part of the squad as an academy product.

Raven

He's already made himself a good squad player, obviously not ready to be a regular but all credit to him for his impact at such a young age. We've got a crazy schedule and should be happy to have young lads like him who put a shift in and have enough quality to have an impact on a match. He's never going to be Ronaldo but has an important supporting role.
Yeah, I'd probably go with that, he just shouldn't be playing as much as he is right now.

AndySmith1990

We can all see he's not good enough for a top team. No point going around in circles arguing about it for the next 3 years like we did with Cleverley, Lingard and McTominay. It is what it is, let's just hope we sign Antony

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is nowhere near good enough. The likes of Obertan, Macheda, Januzaj, even young Zaha(who was really bad and mot ready for United at that time) were much better with the ball than him.

I seriously don't see the point of using him anymore.

kundalini

I thought Elanga had a few good moments, including in the build-up to Fernandes' goal. Does lose the physical battle too often.

Not sure about his chance when United had 4 attempts either blocked or saved; difficult to know where the keeper will be positioned in that type of scenario. Did well to get the ball across for Bruno 2nd chance in that sequence of events.

Created chance for McTominay that was saved and 2 other key passes.

Last edited:

johannes_fd

He's just too simple for my taste. Typical hit & run kind of player. Nothing about him says that he'll cement himself into the starting eleven and be an above average PL player. I'd rather give minutes to the likes of Garnacho.

Varane around town

I like Elanga but this game shows why Ten Hag is dying to bring in Antony.

I think there’s a serviceable player in Elantra, but he should be being used as a rotational option in the cups. Not starting in difficult away days.

Status
Not open for further replies.