Anthony Gordon | Deal agreed with Newcastle for 40m + 5m in add-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
So fofana and Gordon would add at least another £150m to their spending. Madness. They would still be going for a striker.
And auba apparently, he will be another £20m or so...give or take

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For the life of me I don’t get this for us. He’s a super talented young player but what we need now is a decisive, clinical forward. For the £40m+ this kid would cost we could surely go to a foreign league and sign a very, very good player without the Premier League tax.
I don't think he's super talented. He's explosive and fairly talented but he doesn't exactly scream Chelsea starter (as a talent) to me.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Auba for £20m? Geez didn't they get him for free 6 months ago? :eek:
well, 25m euros or so is the quoted fee, i made a guess with the price in GBP. Cant be far off, though.

Suppose we could try negotiate it down, but itll be roundabout that area if we got him id imagine

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Its a group of owners, all billionaires. Roughly 22bn combined.
And it’s almost all cash. They keep their tech assets hidden. The 22 to 30 billion available to Clearlake is basically JUST the venture investment arm for things like sports teams. It would be like Gates and a few friends pooling together 30 odd billion and creating an investment firm to finance things they enjoy.

Once you get above 10 billion you never really know how much these people have because they have because they are generally spread out in their wealth among multiple countries, susceptible to various “wealth taxes”, etc. Boehly is technically a billionaire, but his primary role is to lead this investment arm and specialize in executive sporting development.

It also makes it a little misleading to refer to them as “American owners” as well. Boehly is American by birth, but he might be the only one. The largest backer of Clearlake, financially, is Wyss I think, and he is Swiss.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
And it’s almost all cash. They keep their tech assets hidden. The 22 to 30 billion available to Clearlake is basically JUST the venture investment arm for things like sports teams. It would be like Gates and a few friends pooling together 30 odd billion and creating an investment firm to finance things they enjoy.

Once you get above 10 billion you never really know how much these people have because they have because they are generally spread out in their wealth among multiple countries, susceptible to various “wealth taxes”, etc. Boehly is technically a billionaire, but his primary role is to lead this investment arm and specialize in executive sporting development.

It also makes it a little misleading to refer to them as “American owners” as well. Boehly is American by birth, but he might be the only one. The largest backer of Clearlake, financially, is Wyss I think, and he is Swiss.
Behdad Eghbali is Iranian i think , too. Feliciano im not sure, though. I wouldnt say we were "super rich", but we are a wealthier club now, for sure

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Very much sounds like if 50m is offered we will accept it.

Classical Mechanic

He has two question marks currently for me - his fitness and his end product. He’s very good on the ball and his dribbling is great but he doesn’t assist or score anywhere near the amount he could or should be with that ability. His fitness too, he works incredibly hard at both ends of the pitch but by the 60th minute he has no energy left at all.
I think he probably tries too hard and blows himself out. Some of his pressing is a bit OTT, like the young angry Rooney running the whole length of the pitch to make a tackle.

Weird transfer for Chelsea. Can only think that him joining would mean CHO leaving.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he probably tries too hard and blows himself out. Some of his pressing is a bit OTT, like the young angry Rooney running the whole length of the pitch to make a tackle.

Weird transfer for Chelsea. Can only think that him joining would mean CHO leaving.
I agree with that but it's why this move is so surprising. He needs a lot of time and patience, he'd be afforded that at his club more than at Chelsea you'd think.

Remember the geese

I haven't seen a lot of this player. What is his current level? I assume he isn't a top talent, but is he someone who can reach a Harvey Barnes or Jarrod Bowen level?

Classical Mechanic

I haven't seen a lot of this player. What is his current level? I assume he isn't a top talent, but is he someone who can reach a Harvey Barnes or Jarrod Bowen level?
I don’t think he’s that far off Barnes right now, albeit with different strengths. Barnes is a highlights player and also very injury prone. Bowen was one of the best attackers in the league last season so it’s hard to say if he’ll hit that level. I’d say not.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What’s the point when they have Connor Gallagher warming the bench? Don’t really get it. He wouldn’t have got in Chelseas’s academy teams a couple of years back. They could just try their luck with someone from there and have someone at a similar level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like him, but with Garnacho it's not a player we need. I think Gordon should stay and develop a bit more.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Where are chelsea getting all this money? Is the new owner loaded.
as terms of buying the club, he had to commit to the supporters trust that he would invest 1.7bn in the transfer kitty and stadium improvements. What you’re seeing now is that burning a hole in his pocket

Remember the geese

I don’t think he’s that far off Barnes right now, albeit with different strengths. Barnes is a highlights player and also very injury prone. Bowen was one of the best attackers in the league last season so it’s hard to say if he’ll hit that level. I’d say not.
Thanks. Barnes took big strides a couple of years ago, so if Gordon is at a similar level to that then that's pretty good.

yamo123x

football continues to baffle me as do the media.

Gordon for 50 million and Dalot on Barcelona's wish list................mindblowing !

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
? Gordons best position is as a LW.
Chelsea had Pulisic, Hudson Odoi and Ziyech on bench yesterday so not like they're short of wide players if they go back to playing 4-3-3.

This feels a bad move for Gordon, going from playing every week at Everton to just be warming the bench at Chelsea as he's nowhere good enough for CL club.

Feels to me like Everton are offering him around a bit as there were rumours of Spurs a few weeks ago and you guys certainly want Broja so guess he could be involved in this deal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chelsea had Pulisic, Hudson Odoi and Ziyech on bench yesterday so not like they're short of wide players if they go back to playing 4-3-3.

This feels a bad move for Gordon, going from playing every week at Everton to just be warming the bench at Chelsea as he's nowhere good enough for CL club.

Feels to me like Everton are offering him around a bit as there were rumours of Spurs a few weeks ago and you guys certainly want Broja so guess he could be involved in this deal.
I don't think we are offering him at all. He's a local lad and he's already a heavy favourite with Lampard. I think for whatever reason Tuchel doesn't fancy that trio you mention and would be happy to move them on if needed.

Chief123

Pulisic and Ziyech are likely to leave according to reports. Hence why chelsea are probably chasing him. If Chelsea get an injury to Sterling or Mount, they don’t have many options if the 2 mentioned above leave.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seen murmurs that he’s being thought of as a wingback rather than outright attacker. Watching him on YouTube he does look to have the aggression and energy to play wingback in Tuchel’s setup.

If that’s why we’re considering him it makes a bit more sense. But the price is still unbelievably absurd.

ti vu

Seen murmurs that he’s being thought of as a wingback rather than outright attacker. Watching him on YouTube he does look to have the aggression and energy to play wingback in Tuchel’s setup.

If that’s why we’re considering him it makes a bit more sense. But the price is still unbelievably absurd.
Then the rumored offer looks even crazier. I meant you paid for potential of the player in a for position he's not been used at.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He is better on the left than the right.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think we are offering him at all. He's a local lad and he's already a heavy favourite with Lampard. I think for whatever reason Tuchel doesn't fancy that trio you mention and would be happy to move them on if needed.
Given he played Loftus-Cheek at RWB yesterday it appears he doesn’t fancy them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Won't losing Gordon lead to fans turning 'militant?'
If we were getting 50m+ for him I think most fans would be happy. It would allow us to bring in someone who’s currently good rather than just hanging on potential.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
One of the players that seems to be rated by a lot of the posters on here, but one who I've never been particularly impressed by.

Everton would be laughing if they got 40 million for him right now.
Well clearly not pal or they wouldn't have rejected it...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If we were getting 50m+ for him I think most fans would be happy. It would allow us to bring in someone who’s currently good rather than just hanging on potential.
Amazed you haven't signed a CF yet, can't be waiting for DCL to get fit surely after last season?

Looked utterly toothless for most of the game v us and not like we're going to do much this season. Next three are Forest, Brentford and Leeds so you really need a striker in as can't just afford to give up winnable games.

If you do that with McNeill and Gordon either side then you should be o.k given Onana was lively and you've made smart signings at CB which were badly needed.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
He is better on the left than the right.
I’m even more puzzled then. We’re obviously more than well stocked at LWB and Sterling plays from the left in attack.

Oranges038

I like him, but with Garnacho it's not a player we need. I think Gordon should stay and develop a bit more.
Given the age profile of the players Utd have been linked with i can see why. He looks 21 going on 43.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Don't see him as that (don't see him as a £50m player full stop) but why would that make more sense? Who would you drop for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.