Anthony Gordon | Deal agreed with Newcastle for 40m + 5m in add-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

Seen murmurs that he’s being thought of as a wingback rather than outright attacker. Watching him on YouTube he does look to have the aggression and energy to play wingback in Tuchel’s setup.

If that’s why we’re considering him it makes a bit more sense. But the price is still unbelievably absurd.
I can actually see him as a potential wing back from what I’ve seen. Bags of pace and good dribbling. Intensity and high energy which is needed at wing back. He could probably offer options at wing back as well as in the front 3. Would be a decent signing but the price will be absurd. However price doesn’t seem to put chelsea off this window.

Chief123

I’m even more puzzled then. We’re obviously more than well stocked at LWB and Sterling plays from the left in attack.
It could see sterling switch to the right and Gordon from the left when Tuchel wants pace up front. There will be plenty of rotating this season anyway.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Don't see him as that (don't see him as a £50m player full stop) but why would that make more sense? Who would you drop for him?
Only explanation I can come up with is the club giving up on the Fofana pursuit, Tuchel moving Reece to RCB for good, and then Gordon is the new starting RWB. For me personally that would be horrific, but I can’t think of any other way a move for this kid makes any sense.

Or maybe we’re all overthinking this and he’s just a straight up like for like replacement for CHO who will go out on loan. Ziyech or Pulisic could go as well.

SoCross

If we were getting 50m+ for him I think most fans would be happy. It would allow us to bring in someone who’s currently good rather than just hanging on potential.
Hmm makes sense I suppose. But he's been your best player whenever I've watched your lot play, which admittedly is not a whole lot.

Who's your FDJ/Rabiot at the moment?

Danish Wizard

I'm yet to see the huge potential in Gordon. I would never pay 40+ million pounds for him. Madness.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Amazed you haven't signed a CF yet, can't be waiting for DCL to get fit surely after last season?

Looked utterly toothless for most of the game v us and not like we're going to do much this season. Next three are Forest, Brentford and Leeds so you really need a striker in as can't just afford to give up winnable games.

If you do that with McNeill and Gordon either side then you should be o.k given Onana was lively and you've made smart signings at CB which were badly needed.
No, but some transfers take time, it's unfortunate. We didn't expect DCL to get injured and it wasn't the same injury he's had before, it was a freak unlucky incident which has really stung us. You're right though that we really need a striker in before either this or the next game as we do have winnable games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm yet to see the huge potential in Gordon. I would never pay 40+ million pounds for him. Madness.
If you didn't see it when they played at Anfield last, when ever will you?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Only explanation I can come up with is the club giving up on the Fofana pursuit, Tuchel moving Reece to RCB for good, and then Gordon is the new starting RWB. For me personally that would be horrific, but I can’t think of any other way a move for this kid makes any sense.

Or maybe we’re all overthinking this and he’s just a straight up like for like replacement for CHO who will go out on loan. Ziyech or Pulisic could go as well.
Taking James from attacking WB sounds an awful idea.

Admittedly I've only seen a few full games of Gordon and some highlights but I've got no idea what people (who rave about him) see... looks bang average to me. And the amateur dramatics don't help.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Most british-looking person I’ve ever seen, the poor bastard.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
What makes me most nervous about this is I watched the whole of our game with Everton … and did not remember him… at all. Not even a small flash where I thought “we’ll, we might at least have to worry about him”

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He impressed me the most when I was on the Donny loan watch. Good player, good price.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What makes me most nervous about this is I watched the whole of our game with Everton … and did not remember him… at all. Not even a small flash where I thought “we’ll, we might at least have to worry about him”
I mean, he was playing out of position and we didn't play a style of football that supports him. He's best as a LW. Lampard has made some odd decisions in the first two games that have made him look poor. He looked a lot better when Rondon and Onana came on at the weekend.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Also, I think what people are forgetting here is that the Richy deal although good for FFP was balanced by the fee we paid on him in the first place so doesn't count as complete profit. Gordon, being home grown counts as complete profit towards FFP and opens up the window a lot more for us now and in the future. It's sad that's how deep in the shit we are now but such is life.

Classical Mechanic

It's a crazy fee although he's always been highly rated. Bayern Munich tried to sign him a few year ago but he's a bit too technically limited to ever be a top player in my opinion. I think Tuchel wants a player like the clip below rather than a Pulisic or Ziyech.

Idxomer

He can run with and without the ball but I still don't get it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absolutely not, to Everton he is though. In the same sense Greenwood was a 100m player for us
He is and he isn’t. He is because he’s HG so the transfer fee we receive from Chelsea or whoever will be pure profit for FFP which is massive to us as it will mean we will be in a safe zone in regards to FFP again.

He isn’t in terms of his current ability and what he gives to the team. He clearly has talent but right now he doesn’t give to the team more than a £1.5m Gray. It’s absolutely telling that Everton fans would happily accept 40m for him right now. He has potential but he has so much work to do to be a top player. If we can squeeze out 60m from Chelsea I’d be delighted.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's a crazy fee although he's always been highly rated. Bayern Munich tried to sign him a few year ago but he's a bit too technically limited to ever be a top player in my opinion. I think Tuchel wants a player like the clip below rather than a Pulisic or Ziyech.

Good mentality but a more coordinated press is much better than a Rooney press like this.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He is and he isn’t. He is because he’s HG so the transfer fee we receive from Chelsea or whoever will be pure profit for FFP which is massive to us as it will mean we will be in a safe zone in regards to FFP again.

He isn’t in terms of his current ability and what he gives to the team. He clearly has talent but right now he doesn’t give to the team more than a £1.5m Gray. It’s absolutely telling that Everton fans would happily accept 40m for him right now. He has potential but he has so much work to do to be a top player. If we can squeeze out 60m from Chelsea I’d be delighted.
Exactly, much more context than my post.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
60m for a middle aged house wife.. worlds gone mad.
60m is the new 30m. It's just how it is these days.

Gordon is a very good modern forward. Blistering pace, high stamina and work rate. In a better side he could be a real threat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah I guess so, but my point is that 9/10 he’d be running like a headless chicken wasting his energy.
He is and he does. He’s fecked by the 60th minute. That energy is excellent for that first 60, but he needs to learn to conserve it and also his output needs to improve massively for a top team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don’t be too sad. Just hope that the side of the coin that is flipped is the right one. He’s 50/50 right now. Could become a phenomenal player or a very average one.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I find this move a little odd. I mean Gordon is a good young talent, but not sure I would put him ahead of Callum Hudson-Odoi.

I agree it would reduce the handsomeness quotient considerably, however.

Enigma_87

You know who
Don’t be too sad. Just hope that the side of the coin that is flipped is the right one. He’s 50/50 right now. Could become a phenomenal player or a very average one.
Based on? Werner had a much higher ceiling and was crap for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.