Anthony Gordon | Deal agreed with Newcastle for 40m + 5m in add-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkRed

Dear me and I thought (still do) that the amount we’re willing to pay for Antony is nuts. How is this kid worth more than 20-25 mill even with the English tax.

lsd

The Oracle

Would be surprised if this isn’t wrapped up before the weekend.

I'm sure Frank will be telling him you don't walk out on your hometown club with all your family ties to join Chelsea.

Skills

Snitch
I can't be the only one who thinks this is nuts? What are the feck are Chelsea aiming for?

fallengt

Chelsea is crazy this summer but if they but Anthony Gordon & sell Ziyech to Ajax, it means Antony to United is highly likely.
I'm all in for it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I reckon that the earlier Spurs interest was real and Gordon or his team has been putting out feelers for most of the window which would make the club even more of a disgrace to not sort this out sooner.

Enigma_87

You know who
By watching him every week. He has all the attributes to be a top player. Tenacity, high pressing, work rate, pace, skilful etc. The major deficiency in his game currently is his output (G + A), he should be getting far more. For some players it clicks one day, for others it never does. Hence why I say he can become a phenomenal player or an average one. He has to start converting or it won’t happen for him.
Fair enough. I've seen several games of him this year and he doesn't seem to have the natural talent to become a household name.

Reminds me of Kulusevski, but I think Dejan is the more talented out of the two.

He won't be a good buy for Chelsea if they decide to use him as a forward/striker that is.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyway I just don't get this, does tuchel rate him because he runs a lot? Then why shaft Werner, he's just so mediocre there surely mist be a better option out there.

The fact that most evertonians are not bothering by him leaving says it all.

SATA

I reckon that the earlier Spurs interest was real and Gordon or his team has been putting out feelers for most of the window which would make the club even more of a disgrace to not sort this out sooner.
Have you spent the Richarlison money yet or bought someone with it? Looks like you are getting another 60M soon

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Have you spent the Richarlison money yet or bought someone with it? Looks like you are getting another 60M soon
Yes, but that money was never pure profit in terms of FFP which is why a lot of the deals we have been making so far have been structured. The Gordon money will be pure profit as he is home grown.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If we turn this down it will be one of the daftest decisions ever. Jesus and Sterling went for less. :lol:

marktan

I actually rate the kid highly, of all the young wide players of this current crop - Gray, Lookman, Sancho, Saka - I think he's up there with Saka in terms of pure on the ball talent.

£60m is a bit of a stretch, but what Chelsea really lack in their front line is someone who can stretch play and take a man on, he'll provide that. Needs to improve his final ball but it should help having better players around him. I don't think it's a terrible deal - I think around £40m is what I'd actually value him at.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
On loan at Vitesse Arnhem?
Good one.. except your 5 years too late for it.

If we turn this down it will be one of the daftest decisions ever. Jesus and Sterling went for less. :lol:
Your not wrong. I’m a bit on the fence about this one. Since most players never fulfill potential it’s a very risky transfer. However Todd is signing young players recommended by our scouts and academy. Casadei had official words from Neil Bath and that Villa boy had words from Fraser. I’m just glad he is trusting the opinions of our staff and not just buying random people FM style.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Madness. He works hard defensively, but that's probably his only real quality.. don't rate him at all on the ball. Not even bang average. 60m for him is the most ridiculous fee I've seen in my life. Not even worth half of that.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure why Tuchel is so obsessed with playing Reece James central.
Would hardly call it an obsession when he's only played there a handful of games overall during Tuchel's reign and almost 90% of games he's been deployed as the right wing-back where he belongs.

Sure he's played in the back line two out of three this season so far but as soon as a new starting CB is signed for the RCB role (Fofana?) I'm pretty sure James is not going to keep playing there anymore unless a bad injury crisis happens. I think in those two games this season, as well as the few times last year, the reasoning has been that Azpilicueta can't be relied upon against pacy forwards anymore so James has played there to counter that threat. Against Spurs it worked wonders and Son was kept quiet all game while RLC also had a great game as RWB but against Leeds the whole team fell apart in the first half.

From what I remember the most notable time James played RCB last season was the second leg against Real Madrid in the UCL where he pocketed Vinicius all game and like in the Spurs game Loftus-Cheek had a good game as the starting wing-back. Aside from that James has played a total of five league games in the RCB role, including the two this season, and a couple of early round league cup games last year when the whole back line of Rüdiger, Silva and Azpi were being rested.

Instead of an obsession I'd call it tactical versatility. I'm sure Tuchel realizes what he loses in attack when playing James at the back and won't keep playing him there unless he feels like he has to. In hindsight it would probably have been better to play Chalobah against Leeds and keep James at the wing-back position but seeing as the James RCB / Loftus-Cheek RWB duo worked quite well against Tottenham just a week before I can't blame him too much for trying again, and Chalobah is likely going on loan anyway so that probably played a part in Tuchel's decision as well.

As for Gordon, I just can't understand it at the prices being mentioned. I already said last week he looks nothing like a £50M player but now it's looking like the price will be even higher so it's all the more baffling. I recognize some of the attributes that have probably caught Tuchel's eye here (lots of pace, high stamina levels, high intensity pressing) and even Lampard compared Gordon to Mount for these exact reasons but he just doesn't seem to have enough end product to justify these kind of prices, especially when the team is already lacking goalscorers. The only hope is that in a better team he can increase his attacking output to same kind of levels we've seen from Mount (10G+11A in the league last season) but there's zero guarantees he'll get to that level this season, if ever. There is potential in him but for £50-60M I'd expect a more finished article than Gordon currently is, though the market seems to have gone totally crazy after clubs have started financially recovering from COVID and have some money to spend again. Gibbs-White going for £40M+ including add-ons, Antony being quote at £80M+ and now Gordon being valued at £60M is all way too much for the levels they've shown in their careers so far. Fofana is another good example of how ridiculous the transfer market currently is.

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I am happy if we get Gordon for 50 mn than failing again. We need players who we can be reliable than sicknotes in attack. Gordon exactly look the type of player tuchel wants in his team.

Ziyech will move in this window so Auba and Gordon for him and lukaku will add numbers to our team.If we landed fofana it will be one of the best Windows we had. But mostly replacements than strengthening further. Gallagher and broja only added from last season team over all.

Bobski

Rotating door at Chelsea for wide attackers, seems like a crazy amount of money for a guy who doesn't seem like an obvious upgrade on what they already have. Easy to make the Ross Barkley comparison, though to be fair he had already plateaued by the time he made the move.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rotating door at Chelsea for wide attackers, seems like a crazy amount of money for a guy who doesn't seem like an obvious upgrade on what they already have. Easy to make the Ross Barkley comparison, though to be fair he had already plateaued by the time he made the move.
Barkley looked far better at their respective ages.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Ziyech will move away possibly cho on loan as well. Then you can see we have very much a Christian pulisic injury away from no one to play in the bench as wide attacker.

Bobski

Ziyech will move away possibly cho on loan as well. Then you can see we have very much a Christian pulisic injury away from no one to play in the bench as wide attacker.
I just find it odd how quick the turnover in attackers is for Chelsea, and it has been going on for a while. Could just blame the players for not being able to secure the role, or maybe it just comes from watching Utd hold on to players for too long.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Barkley looked far better at their respective ages.
True, though Everton were overall a much better team when Barkley was a young lad so the circumstances were a little different.

But either way like @Bobski said Barkley reached his peak as a player at Everton and his development had already stalled big time by the time he moved to Chelsea. The hope was that he might still kick on in a new club and a new environment but it just never happened. Was never convinced with the Barkley signing to begin with but at least he came relatively cheap and even though he was never really good enough I guess he did alright for a couple years as a squad filler so the signing wasn't a total disaster.

I just find it odd how quick the turnover in attackers is for Chelsea, and it has been going on for a while. Could just blame the players for not being able to secure the role, or maybe it just comes from watching Utd hold on to players for too long.
I don't think there's anything odd about it and it's hardly been going on for a long time. The likes of Hazard, Willian and Pedro all spent 5-7 years each at the club and all left the club within a year of each other so a bunch of new replacements were direly needed. It just so happens that said replacements simply haven't worked out anywhere near as well as initially hoped/expected.

Werner, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech have all played around a 100 matches for the club and none of them have been particularly good at any point, either under Lampard's management or now under Tuchel.

I would also point out that none of the aforementioned wide attackers from last seasons squad were even signed by Tuchel so if they don't perform doesn't it make sense to move them on and try with some other players the manager has picked himself? If even the new lads don't perform it's a problem with either the manager or his game system but ideally I would at least want to see Tuchel being given the chance to build something by himself and see how he does instead of just having to make do with a squad that's 90% built by his predecessors.

One thing's for sure is if Tuchel is the main man behind this pursuit of Gordon and he ends up signing and doesn't perform, Tuchel will have some very awkward questions to answer for.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
True, though Everton were overall a much better team when Barkley was a young lad so the circumstances were a little different.

But either way like @Bobski said Barkley reached his peak as a player at Everton and his development had already stalled big time by the time he moved to Chelsea. The hope was that he might still kick on in a new club and a new environment but it just never happened. Was never convinced with the Barkley signing to begin with but at least he came relatively cheap and even though he was never really good enough I guess he did alright for a couple years as a squad filler so the signing wasn't a total disaster.
He looked better because he was a better player, irrespective of the teams they’re playing in.

The reason Barkley stalled was because he got hit with a major injury and then decided he wanted to leave rather than sign a new deal with us and get back to full strength. He had more potential to unlock but made the wrong career choice. Different circumstances for Gordon obviously. I don’t think he will become a top player if he goes to Chelsea but we will see what happens.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Under roman our structure is heavily board related and coach have very little to say in transfers unless new coach with summer window one or two players of his choice will come in.

Most of our attack signings came from Lampard summer window. We signed ziyech,havertz and Werner in that window after transfer ban.Pulisic we got from winter window before transfer ban.

Now boehly wanted his own choice of dof to make signings. But we didn't get one in time. So this window boehly involved in signings and choice of signings made after consultations with tuchel and Neil bath.

Tuchel publically said he didn't want to involve in transfer bit but due to our situation he was forced to help boehly in transfers.

Pulisic just need to be fit to play lot. Ziyech for whatever reason didn't look happy. Werner just didnt work out for him. Havertz have to prove lot though I think he will be great for us but as of now okay. We moved Werner and probably ziyech as well in this window.

Have to wait till window get closed then only we can analyse where we are.

Last edited:

Alemar

Under roman our structure is heavily board related and coach have very little to say in transfers
But what if the manager doesn’t want a player? He is signed regardless if Board decides so ?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
But what if the manager doesn’t want a player? He is signed regardless if Board decides so ?
I think so.There was plenty of examples from djilobodji to drinkwater. The successful league winning managers like Jose and Conte got players like djilobodji,baba Rahman,bakayoko,morata and drinkwater when they tried to defend the title.

Calculate it by yourself.

Alemar

I think so.There was plenty of examples from djilobodji to drinkwater. The successful league winning managers like Jose and Conte got players like djilobodji,baba Rahman,bakayoko,morata and drinkwater when they tried to defend the title.

Calculate it by yourself.
But why on Earth could it be happening? I fully understand when board resists manager’s request to sign a particular player, but why to sign someone who is not at all needed ?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
But why on Earth could it be happening? I fully understand when board resists manager’s request to sign a particular player, but why to sign someone who is not at all needed ?
May be managers don't have choice to say names but allowed to say what type of player team needed.For Jose he might have asked for defender,forward and full back. Our board came up with djilobodji,Falcao and baba Rahman. :( .

This time I am optimistic about our signings. All the signings for first team got approval from tuchel. So why I am expecting a very good season from chelsea.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Can't get my head around this one. 60 million quid on Anthony Gordon is one of the weirdest transfer values I think I've ever seen. He's a promising footballer.

Everton should sell quickly and use that money.

Trequarista10

He's good but it's definitely very strange for the fees touted. For that money, you expect either a player who is first XI ready, which he evidently isn't, or a youngster with insane potential, which I've yet to see. There must be a ton of players with similiar potential who'd cost loads less, and I doubt he will be an upgrade on Pulisic or CHO.

Anyway, I can only think it will some heavily structured deal with potential add ons, and maybe even a loan back to Everton, as there's a big squad at Chelsea and Everton are short on forward options.

Walters_19_MuFc

60M is a bit crazy but hey, if that's what Everton value him at and Chelsea agree with that value, then who are we to argue?

That being said, you'd expect him to start if they're spending that much money on him. If so, where would he play?

Would it be a front three of Gordan, Sterling and Aubameyang? If so, seems very one dimensional that but Tuchel obviously has his ideas.

Someone

Something
Are they really going to go above 300m this summer? You don't even feel that they're going after specific targets, it's more like what we're doing. I know they're committed to invest a certain amount of money, but this is nuts.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Are they really going to go above 300m this summer? You don't even feel that they're going after specific targets, it's more like what we're doing. I know they're committed to invest a certain amount of money, but this is nuts.
The amount in a particular “summer” doesn’t matterx you can manipulate those numbers in various ways. The way I’m sure they are looking at it is reaching an average investment per position.

When it comes to RWB, our primary is an academy player, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world to spend money there. If they think he’s going to be the answer as a right attacker and don’t go after Leao this window or next? Very bad. If they look at him as someone who can play as an attacking winger or a RWB… then he could get a lot of action and starts in various competitions, and you could divide your investment between two positions.

He would essentially be like paying 30 for a quality backup at RWB, and 30 for a quality player at RW when needed.

So he could have value, but it very much depends on who else you sign and how you set things up and use him.

Chief123

As a Utd fan, I’d be delighted if Gordon is their big money signing in attack. Huge gamble which I don’t think will pay off personally.

Gordon has never featured in a team which has to break a team down. He’s used to playing counter attack and having lots of space to run into. Similar to how Rashford thrives on space but then struggles against deep lying teams. I’ve never seen Gordon show anything to suggest he has it in him to break down a team. All his best bits have been him hitting teams on the break.

Very unusual for Chelsea to target him as their attacking solution.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
As a Utd fan, I’d be delighted if Gordon is their big money signing in attack. Huge gamble which I don’t think will pay off personally.

Gordon has never featured in a team which has to break a team down. He’s used to playing counter attack and having lots of space to run into. Similar to how Rashford thrives on space but then struggles against deep lying teams. I’ve never seen Gordon show anything to suggest he has it in him to break down a team. All his best bits have been him hitting teams on the break.

Very unusual for Chelsea to target him as their attacking solution.
I d ok t think he is a pro sry attacking focus. He would t be our first choice on the right even with what we have now, much less if we add this window or next.

And he wouldn’t be first choice at RWB obviously either.

BUT he could be second choice at both positions, and there to do a hard shift while he develops; which he still could. With the number of matches we play that could be 30 + starts.

My issue is I pictured players like Omari Hutchinson filling that dual role.

I get they don’t want to put the pressure on Fofana of being “most expensive ever” which is dumb because once you take inflation into account he wouldn’t be close.

But if we missed on Fofana and other key options by 10m here, 6m there, then I would wonder why this was necessary.

If they DO i fact think he’s a prime attacking option then someone needs to throw some Bayern film in stat and let Tommy and Todd watch Sane, Mane, Conan and Gnabry …….

Maybe they will get the difference then.

If they are chasing Gordon as a pure attacking option over Neto even? That would defy belief really.

SinNombre

The fact that we have newbie Chelsea fans signing up to defend this spend is all you need to know.

This is at par with the worst windows United have had in the post-Fergie years. There is not much rhyme or reason to what Chelsea are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.