Anthony Gordon | Deal agreed with Newcastle for 40m + 5m in add-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The overwhelming majority of Everton fans would rather sell Gordon (If 60m rumour is true) and get in two or three players.

It is understood that he is a home grown talent and everyone wants to keep them in an ideal world but we are also realistic and understand we aren’t in an ideal world. We are going to be floating near relegation and sadly Gordon is one of the only sellable assets we have and since he is HG he will be pure profit for FFP purposes. This gives us far more autonomy in the window. Additionally this isn’t a player who is currently adding to the team with goals and assists which are what keep teams in the league. Yes, work rate does too but goals are of the most importance in football and sadly he doesn’t provide that to the team as much as he needs to or we need him to. If selling him means we get two or three players that currently can come in and immediately add to the side with goals and assists it is a no brainer decision. Our precarious position means we can’t afford to be sentimental with HG talents. It’s not like he’s on a Rooney type level of talent either. He’s the type of talent that crops up quite regularly within PL clubs and though that’s a shame it’s far more important to secure the future of the club which we have a better chance of doing by selling Gordon.
So chelsea have chance to get him after this round of matches in PL. Will be nice to wrap it up soon. You also will get time to bring in players. Any one linked with you?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I suspect he's just an asswipe. Great manager but I can't imagine working with him would be fun.
You can't deny the shite environment Gallagher has come into, he was one of the best CMs in the league an now looks like a bag of nerves.

Boondog

You can't deny the shite environment Gallagher has come into, he was one of the best CMs in the league an now looks like a bag of nerves.
No doubt.

I think if I was Gordon's agent I'd be telling him to stay put for now. He's in a good place to refine his technique and work on that finishing. He has a playing position to accrue experience at Everton and a manager behind him that knows where he needs to improve. Just keep your head down and keep working on your craft young man.

Maybe next year if he can take that step in his game then you make the jump. But the pressure of production he'll face at Chelsea would be very risky for where he is developmentally. Maybe he'd star there. But more likely he'll end up benched and playing behind the more refined additions they end up adding down the road.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I can actually. Gallagher looked great for Crystal Palace because he is recklessly brave and plays with great energy. They mostly play on the counter, and for every successful play he had, the 30 that were catastrophes didn’t matter that much.

We don’t play that way, and he will need to adjust. We didn’t need him to be a brainless “hero” taking out legs to recover a ball at the opponents penalty box. He needs to refine his game and play smarter.

If it’s “sh!t environment” then why are the other mids playing well? Even RLC has looked good sliding into that middle when called upon.

Tuchel is an excellent tactical and technical coach.

Trequarista10

No doubt.

I think if I was Gordon's agent I'd be telling him to stay put for now. He's in a good place to refine his technique and work on that finishing. He has a playing position to accrue experience at Everton and a manager behind him that knows where he needs to improve. Just keep your head down and keep working on your craft young man.

Maybe next year if he can take that step in his game then you make the jump. But the pressure of production he'll face at Chelsea would be very risky for where he is developmentally. Maybe he'd star there. But more likely he'll end up benched and playing behind the more refined additions they end up adding down the road.
If I was Gordon's agent I'd be pushing for the move to Chelsea for the financial reward (big signing on fee, big wages, probably several multiples of his wage at Everton) and then push for a loan move (which Chelsea do with most of their young players) so he can continue benefitting from regular football.

Boondog

If I was Gordon's agent I'd be pushing for the move to Chelsea for the financial reward (big signing on fee, big wages, probably several multiples of his wage at Everton) and then push for a loan move (which Chelsea do with most of their young players) so he can continue benefitting from regular football.
Hrm. Fair point that he can be loaned from them yes. And as an agent I'd want that money. :lol:

I just think Lampard is really good for him, given his career.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Whether Gordon should sign for us depends on what he sees himself becoming. He is a very technically good player, plays with high energy, is pretty fast, and has surprisingly good instincts defensively.

I think Chelsea see him as someone who can give valuable games off to James at RWB, and play RWB in those Niche situations where we would still play James at RCB.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they see him as a two way player that can get better offensively on a good team. He NEEDS to be on a god team to do that though. Playing on the counter for bad/mediocre team is never going to allow him to improve the way he needs to.

The question is: will he play? And is the gamble worth the 60 to 70?

It just doesn’t seem a good call. I’d rather buy more established but reasonably priced cover for James, and save attacking money for Leao , or even a Harvey Barnes eventually, or …. Someone verified to be better.

If people really believe Gordon has a strong future his next steps should be to decide what he actually will be, RW or RWB, and then to a team West Ham level maybe?

Pickle85

He has absolutely never been one of the best CMs in the league. This is madness.

gaffs

No doubt.

I think if I was Gordon's agent I'd be telling him to stay put for now
. He's in a good place to refine his technique and work on that finishing. He has a playing position to accrue experience at Everton and a manager behind him that knows where he needs to improve. Just keep your head down and keep working on your craft young man.

That is why you are not an agent.

Gordons agent will want the deal done asap and a big slice of that transfer fee, while the offer is available. No one else wants Gordon at that price, so its a golden opportunity.

Everton could seriously go down. If so, then he is worth half of what he is valued at today, even with a good season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has absolutely never been one of the best CMs in the league. This is madness.
Objectively, last season, he was one of the best box to box CMs.
I can actually. Gallagher looked great for Crystal Palace because he is recklessly brave and plays with great energy. They mostly play on the counter, and for every successful play he had, the 30 that were catastrophes didn’t matter that much.

We don’t play that way, and he will need to adjust. We didn’t need him to be a brainless “hero” taking out legs to recover a ball at the opponents penalty box. He needs to refine his game and play smarter.

If it’s “sh!t environment” then why are the other mids playing well? Even RLC has looked good sliding into that middle when called upon.

Tuchel is an excellent tactical and technical coach.
I'm not saying he isn't a good tactical and technical coach, but he seems like a shite man manager. He should be able to integrate Gallagher better - if all this was apparent and you're hyperbole on how he played for palace, why has he kept him this season? Sounds like he should have loaned him out again.

Loon

:lol:
I find this move a little odd. I mean Gordon is a good young talent, but not sure I would put him ahead of Callum Hudson-Odoi.

I agree it would reduce the handsomeness quotient considerably, however.
Not particularly handsome strikers are the new tikka-taka.

marktan

I rate him pretty highly amongst all the young English wide forwards currently. I'd have him on par with Saka talent wise (though not end product) and only Foden I'd have ahead talent wise.

He's absolutely rapid and has great close control and technical ability, which is a deadly base to have. He only lacks the final ball currently but when the rest of your game is already that good at a young age there's a good chance that will come.

rooney2009

He was gassed after 60mins
I'm surprised Lampard didn't take him off
D Gray looked like a better player tonight IMO

dbs235

He's a good player who will now get underrated because Chelsea were willing to pay 60m for him so he'll get too much scrutiny.

JuriM

Watching the MOTD from last night atm. And he really seems a bit too much trying to be "the nasty tough guy". Already had to miss one game due too many yellow cards and still continue this antics, he is really promising young player - but should really focus more on his football rather than getting into this Diego Costa'like actions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Watching the MOTD from last night atm. And he really seems a bit too much trying to be "the nasty tough guy". Already had to miss one game due too many yellow cards and still continue this antics, he is really promising young player - but should really focus more on his football rather than getting into this Diego Costa'like actions.
Yep, needs to be dropped. He's a detriment to the team currently and it annoys me that the club has gone balls deep in their investment in him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Bullet dodged as far as Chelsea are concerned.

What a bizarre week that was.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Newcastle rumours picking up again. He has been dreaful this season. I still think he can be a pretty good player but needs to change his attitude or environment. With this and the McTominay links it appears that Newcastle plan to shift a bunch of their HG players and want to replace them with fairly low cost improvements. I think if they come in with a 20-30m bid this window we should accept it.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Chelsea signing 18 attackers in their early 20s since bidding for Gordon really underlines their careful, considered and detailed approach to recruitment.

Varun1

Newcastle rumours picking up again. He has been dreaful this season. I still think he can be a pretty good player but needs to change his attitude or environment. With this and the McTominay links it appears that Newcastle plan to shift a bunch of their HG players and want to replace them with fairly low cost improvements. I think if they come in with a 20-30m bid this window we should accept it.
Wasn't Chelsea's offering double that? Would you say, in hindsight, Everton should have accepted the offer?

Was it the fans or the owner & Frank who were against selling him?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wasn't Chelsea's offering double that? Would you say, in hindsight, Everton should have accepted the offer?

Was it the fans or the owner & Frank who were against selling him?
No, I'm pretty sure that the 60m was media waffle and it was in reality around 30m.

Frank/The owner wanted to keep and went balls deep in terms of their love for him.

Santos J

Done deal.

Supports
Chelsea
No, I'm pretty sure that the 60m was media waffle and it was in reality around 30m.

Frank/The owner wanted to keep and went balls deep in terms of their love for him.
It's one of those rumours where the fee is so absurd that it just becomes true in peoples minds. Fortunately we were not that stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.