Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Martial will surely be our new #7 now that Zlatan takes the #9?

Memphis can feck off and get 77 or something.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
More likely will be the 11, can't see Memphis being happy losing the 7 so early, Januzaj doesn't really deserve the 11 either.

JohnnyLaw

#14 and #19 are open so I don't think anyone else would need to change. I'm sure he wouldn't mind wearing the #14 like Henry.

Not that i'm completely convinced by that picture mind.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
#14 and #19 are open so I don't think anyone else would need to change. I'm sure he wouldn't mind wearing the #14 like Henry.

Not that i'm completely convinced by that picture mind.
AM14 does seem quite fitting although I'm not sure it's a good idea with the connotations it carries.

Unless Memphis is leaving the club, I'm not sure it's a good idea to take the 7 off him. At the end of the day we've invested 20 odd million in him and having a difficult first season doesn't really warrant stripping him of a number he was obviously very proud to be given.

JohnnyLaw

AM14 does seem quite fitting although I'm not sure it's a good idea with the connotations it carries.

Unless Memphis is leaving the club, I'm not sure it's a good idea to take the 7 off him. At the end of the day we've invested 20 odd million in him and having a difficult first season doesn't really warrant stripping him of a number he was obviously very proud to be given.
If it were up to me I wouldn't take anyones number from them for a player who will be gone in 2 years, at the most.

When Zlatan arrived at PSG he took #18. And that was with the #7, 9, 10 and 11 belonging to the likes of Menez, Hoarau, Nene and Lavezzi. I don't think it's impossible that he'd accept #19 himself. Maybe our marketing department has other plans though, I don't know.

kenny19

Martial will surely be our new #7 now that Zlatan takes the #9?

Memphis can feck off and get 77 or something.
I actually like Martial with the 7 and think he should keep it. AM9 is already becoming a brand image for him and can increase further in value if he does even better next season. Zlatan should take another number.

Last edited:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Memphis doesn't deserve the 7 and never did

Bastian took away 31 from Fellaini last season so this things happen.
I'm sure Fellaini didn't give a shit about the #31 shirt, but Memphis uses his #7 as part of his image: M7. When he's posting up his desparate work out videos on Instagram to try and prove that he's infact not lazy, he finishes them with the M7 logo.

Besides all that, it'd effectively feel like a demotion for a player like Memphis going from #7 to #15 or something. #7 is a meaningful number here, and considering how he clearly wants to be like Ronaldo it's even more so for him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I'm sure Fellaini didn't give a shit about the #31 shirt, but Memphis uses his #7 as part of his image: M7. When he's posting up his desparate work out videos on Instagram to try and prove that he's infact not lazy, he finishes them with the M7 logo.

Besides all that, it'd effectively feel like a demotion for a player like Memphis going from #7 to #15 or something. #7 is a meaningful number here, and considering how he clearly wants to be like Ronaldo it's even more so for him.
We can always dress it up as him wanting to move to another number like Valencia did.

I was steadfast against Memphis getting the number last season(was in the minority then, and felt that he had to earn it first). It has been a disaster, and from a marketing point of perspective for United, we could give the 7 to a much better and more marketable player.

Maybe it would spur him on to prove a point or something.

CM

It seems a bit much making him change numbers for Ibra, unless he prefers to take 11.

Impulse

We should go back to the days when the starting eleven wore numbers 1-11, none of this squad number nonsense.

HabeasC

If Ibra is here for one year, what's the point in giving him number 9?

Unless there's some sort of plan to give it to Marcus, providing he maintains his form, after Ibra has gone.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If it were up to me I wouldn't take anyones number from them for a player who will be gone in 2 years, at the most.

When Zlatan arrived at PSG he took #18. And that was with the #7, 9, 10 and 11 belonging to the likes of Menez, Hoarau, Nene and Lavezzi. I don't think it's impossible that he'd accept #19 himself. Maybe our marketing department has other plans though, I don't know.
I remember reading in his book talking about numbers. In one chapter he didn't give a feck it was just a number.

But he was landed when given Ronaldo's number at clubs Ronaldo played for.

MounchesterUtd

Serious question: Is there anything wrong, in United's history, with the #14? Or is it purely a superstitious/tradition thing?

Maybe Martial will take #10 off Rooney as a sign of Rooney accepting a 'lesser' role in the club?

Martial 24 will look good though :drool:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because they were simpler times, men were men, women were women, the milkman delivered on time and there was none of this global warming. Ah yes.

kenny19

Ibra should not get the number 9. How can we jus strip it from martial? Unless martial is okay with taking number 7 from depay then I'm game.:lol:

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Ibra should not get the number 9. How can we jus strip it from martial? Unless martial is okay with taking number 7 from depay then I'm game.:lol:
Maybe we want to give him the #11 shirt. Januzaj is doing feck all with it anyway.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Seeing some more Martial madness was pretty much the only thing I was looking forward to this tournament, Deschamps just had to ruin it the water-carrying prick.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As I said early on in the tournament, it's a giant waste of time for him. Actual rest could've been much better for him.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I hope France get destroyed by the Germans. Unless Martial plays.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wasn't he quite good in any friendlies or qualifying matches before the tournament? Strange how one bad half has seemingly ruined every chance at this Euro.

Wade3

As I said early on in the tournament, it's a giant waste of time for him. Actual rest could've been much better for him.
Are least he didn't get injured I suppose.
True, but he still has to train and travel and can't really take a break while not exactly receiving a confidence boost.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Our player who has been overused this season is getting a rest at the first senior-football tournament, his team is doing fine, there's no risk of him getting injured, why are you guys losing your shit is beyond me.

I can only fecking imagine how much you'd be crying if he actually played for France and got injured for couple of months. Then DD would be a dick for playing him.

snk123

snk123 said:
IMO, it's poor management from the coach and that's it for Martial in this tournament.
More likely Martial will be called upon again with 20 minutes to go in a game soon and he's more than capable of stepping up when asked.

Called it a while back. Deschamps doesn't rate Martial at all and hopefully this mistreatment doesn't damage his confidence.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Seeing some more Martial madness was pretty much the only thing I was looking forward to this tournament, Deschamps just had to ruin it the water-carrying prick.
:lol:

Aye, Moussa Sissoko & Gignac gets game time ahead of him. FFS.

He had a poor half - but feck me, the entire French attack struggled in those first 2 matches.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Our player who has been overused this season is getting a rest at the first senior-football tournament, his team is doing fine, there's no risk of him getting injured, why are you guys losing your shit is beyond me.

I can only fecking imagine how much you'd be crying if he actually played for France and got injured for couple of months. Then DD would be a dick for playing him.
What @Kostur said.

Skills

Snitch
Wasn't he quite good in any friendlies or qualifying matches before the tournament? Strange how one bad half has seemingly ruined every chance at this Euro.
They have a stacked squad, so it's obviously hard to break in there especially as he doesn't quite fit in. He's playing in a squad which was one of the favourites from the start of the tournaments, not some losers who couldn't make the top 4 in league. Different level of competition.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Feel sorry for him but he didn't exactly do himself justice in the game he started.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Generally though, if I don't have a team I follow at a tournament (or they're knocked out), I generally mainly watch to see the united lads doing well.

Wade3

For me, two ways would be fine: you either don't nominate him at all and let him get actual rest or you give him playing time. Now he isn't truly rested while also not receiving a confidence boost.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Correct. Deschamps is and always was a dick.

Kostur

海尔的老板
For me, two ways would be fine: you either don't nominate him at all and let him get actual rest or you give him playing time. Now he isn't truly rested while also not receiving a confidence boost.
Not really though, you do gain experience from the sole fact of being at the tourno, sub, mostly bench or not really.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Generally though, if I don't have a team I follow at a tournament (or they're knocked out), I generally mainly watch to see the united lads doing well.
Yea I do get this point of view but really, given how much he's been used by us I'm glad he's actually not playing.

snk123

1. We want to see Utd players in Euro.
2. If he was being rested, then of course it's fine but he's been shunned because of one bad 45 minutes. Extremely unfairly. That damages the confidence of a young player and could hamper his performances next season (small chance but a possibility yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.