Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
1. We want to see Utd players in Euro.
2. If he was being rested, then of course it's fine but he's been shunned because of one bad 45 minutes. Extremely unfairly. That damages the confidence of a young player and could hamper his performances next season (small chance but a possibility yes)
1) I don't really care if it's not my NT.
2) There's nothing unfair at Euros or WC, you either perform or you're benched, especially if the squad is as tight as it is with the French who probably have the strongest squad of all teams. Or actually that's how it should work, not like with English NT.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
As I said early on in the tournament, it's a giant waste of time for him. Actual rest could've been much better for him.

True, but he still has to train and travel and can't really take a break while not exactly receiving a confidence boost.
Yeah can't be great for confidence. I think hes been pretty underrated by Deschamps so far.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They have a stacked squad, so it's obviously hard to break in there especially as he doesn't quite fit in. He's playing in a squad which was one of the favourites from the start of the tournaments, not some losers who couldn't make the top 4 in league. Different level of competition.
His direct competition has been Gignac, who in every single of his substitute appearances has been ghastly. I'm not expecting him to start or anything, but his omission for the aforementioned is nutty.

Ibi Dreams

He may still get a chance in the Euros, it's not the end of the world that he didn't play tonight. He's still only 20 years old and the French squad is very good, I don't think it'll knock his confidence if he doesn't get to play a lot. He has plenty of tournaments in his future

Tiber

After a long season limited game time in the Euros does no harm from a United point of view, so works for me

snk123

1) I don't really care if it's not my NT.
2) There's nothing unfair at Euros or WC, you either perform or you're benched, especially if the squad is as tight as it is with the French who probably have the strongest squad of all teams. Or actually that's how it should work, not like with English NT.
1. Suit yourself.
2. Yes it is unfair. He was played 12 minutes in the first game after a stellar season. Then he was started all of a sudden. He had a bad 45 minutes but so did everyone else. France have had horrendous performers until this game and yet they start/get minutes every game. Martial has been completely sidelined .. (dare i use the word: unfairly again?) and that can damage his confidence for next season.

Skills

Snitch
His direct competition has been Gignac, who in every single of his substitute appearances has been ghastly. I'm not expecting him to start or anything, but his omission for the aforementioned is nutty.
Don't think he's ever played as a striker for France. He just doesn't fit their blueprint for a CF, so that's why he won't get games there. Especially with Greizmann on the pitch, who already does the type of job Martial would do upfront.

Kostur

海尔的老板
1. Suit yourself.
2. Yes it is unfair. He was played 12 minutes in the first game after a stellar season. Then he was started all of a sudden. He had a bad 45 minutes but so did everyone else. France have had horrendous performers until this game and yet they start/get minutes every game. Martial has been completely sidelined .. (dare i use the word: unfairly again?) and that can damage his confidence for next season.
But in the end it's France's problem and DD's problem, not ours really. I can't see him not being picked at the Euros affecting how he does for a club where he was a started and a main star last season, sorry.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Don't think he's ever played as a striker for France. He just doesn't fit their blueprint for a CF, so that's why he won't get games there. Especially with Greizmann on the pitch, who already does the type of job Martial would do upfront.
Griezmann and Martial are very different players, I feel.

Skills

Snitch
Griezmann and Martial are very different players, I feel.
As forwards they both stretch the pitch. Greizmann's their best player and likes to play off a target man, I don't see how Martial can provide that.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Forget Martial but I do think Deschamps was being idiotic tonight. 4-0 at half-time one would think you rest Griezmann and/or Payet immediately, let alone at 60th minute mark.

LouisDanGaal

Ridiculous amount of games for him this season compared to last, its absolutely good news. Proper rest is good too, but just training is a completely different level of intensity and if they win the tournament he's still going to be in the feel good bubble when the season kicks in.

Natener

Oh woe, such injustice against Martial to be the only one kept on the bench. So how did Cabaye, Digne, Jallet and Schneiderlin do during the game?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yea I do get this point of view but really, given how much he's been used by us I'm glad he's actually not playing.
Yeah, fair enough! From a United perspective, a rest will do him good. He was carrying our attack throughout last season.

I still think it's a bit daft by DD. You want to give your game changers, who are out of form, some minutes to build up their form/confidence. And when/if France needs a goal in later rounds, Sissoko and Gignac are not their best hope for that source of inspiration, IMO, of course.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, fair enough! From a United perspective, a rest will do him good. He was carrying our attack throughout last season.

I still think it's a bit daft by DD. You want to give your game changers, who are out of form, some minutes to build up their form/confidence. And when/if France needs a goal in later rounds, Sissoko and Gignac are not their best hope for that source of inspiration, IMO, of course.
You're probably right in that sense that the game was already dead at HT so he could've just thrown both Coman and Martial at them but still, I can't complain due to his rest.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Forget Martial but I do think Deschamps was being idiotic tonight. 4-0 at half-time one would think you rest Griezmann and/or Payet immediately, let alone at 60th minute mark.
No, Giroud and Koscielny have yellows, that's why they are the first out, after that Coman covers both wings which makes him a lot more valuable than Martial, he is the one that needs to be in form.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You're probably right in that sense that the game was already dead at HT so he could've just thrown both Coman and Martial at them but still, I can't complain due to his rest.
Yeah! Let's hope he comes back for pre season well rested and prepared. Expecting big things from him this year!

Nickosaur

1. We want to see Utd players in Euro.
2. If he was being rested, then of course it's fine but he's been shunned because of one bad 45 minutes. Extremely unfairly. That damages the confidence of a young player and could hamper his performances next season (small chance but a possibility yes)
Do we? I don't give a feck tbh.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
No, Giroud and Koscielny have yellows, that's why they are the first out, after that Coman covers both wings which makes him a lot more valuable than Martial, he is the one that needs to be in form.
I don't say he should have put Martial in as that would simply be a nice gesture which I don't expect from Deshamps. Footballing-wise, Coman seems more in-form so it's logical he plays but if he's really that worried about Giroud or Koscielny getting yellows - why hasn't he sub Giroud and/or Koscielny earlier?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
1. Suit yourself.
Sorry but, if that's enough to damage his confidence for any longer than a few days, let alone the rest of the season then he doesn't have the right mentality to cut it at the highest level.

That being said, I don't think this will affect him anywhere near as negatively as some are making out.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't say he should have put Martial in as that would simply be a nice gesture which I don't expect from Deshamps. Footballing-wise, Coman seems more in-form so it's logical he plays but if he's really that worried about Giroud or Koscielny getting yellows - why hasn't he sub Giroud and/or Koscielny earlier?
I don't know why he didn't subbed them earlier but that's why he did it.

El Jefe

I don't get the outcry. There are better players in his position and they have performed better so far in the tournament.

I understand we all want to see him play but Deschamps has a duty to play his best team and Martial is not in that. Simple really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's as if people just criticize for the sake of it without even looking at the game, the needs of the moment and everything.
The comments I'm reading, I don't know if they're written in jokes or if posters are serious. Some people definitely a reality check that everything doesn't revolve around Manchester United players.

JPRouve

Scout
It's as if people just criticize for the sake of it without even looking at the game, the needs of the moment and everything.
The comments I'm reading, I don't know if they're written in jokes or if posters are serious. Some people definitely a reality check that everything doesn't revolve around Manchester United players.
They are convinced that Deschamps is shite and hates Martial, when I'm pretty sure that Deschamps tried Martial and Payet on both wings before taking his decision because that's how he is. Deschamps is probably the most impartial coach out there, he was strongly against purchasing Gignac at Marseille and now he selects him even though he plays in Mexico.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They are convinced that Deschamps is shite and hates Martial, when I'm pretty sure that Deschamps tried Martial and Payet on both wings before taking his decision because that's how he is. Deschamps is probably the most impartial coach out there, he was strongly against purchasing Gignac at Marseille and now he selects him even though he plays in Mexico.
Whatever happens against Germany, I consider Deschamps as a very good coach. Lots of sensible decisions and readjustments he's made. It is nice to see a coach who has clear ideas and doesn't hesitate to change things when he doesn't like them, a big big change from LVG for instance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Who gives a feck? Let him rest and come back fully fit. He had hamstring problems towards the end of he season and was injured during e warm up matches.
IMO,it's good news for us.

snk123

They are convinced that Deschamps is shite and hates Martial, when I'm pretty sure that Deschamps tried Martial and Payet on both wings before taking his decision because that's how he is.
It's about opinions. You have been defending Deschamps from the get go even though France have never looked convincing. Similarly, we are entitled to the opinion that he's biased and has mistreated Martial.

Also, imo, his visible disgust when Martial misplaced a pass and then his constant refusal to give him any sort of minutes suggests that he probably does hate Martial. That's all. Opinions.

snk123

Sorry but, if that's enough to damage his confidence for any longer than a few days, let alone the rest of the season then he doesn't have the right mentality to cut it at the highest level.

That being said, I don't think this will affect him anywhere near as negatively as some are making out.
Obviously. There is a very slight chance that this damages his confidence - but there is still a chance. Also, one or two poor games at the start of the preseason/season and it can pile up. Martial is icy cold though so hopefully he'll be up for it next season.

JPRouve

Scout
It's about opinions. You have been defending Deschamps from the get go even though France have never looked convincing. Similarly, we are entitled to the opinion that he's biased and has mistreated Martial.

Also, imo, his visible disgust when Martial misplaced a pass and then his constant refusal to give him any sort of minutes suggests that he probably does hate Martial. That's all. Opinions.
Wait, you seriously think that he hates Martial?

snk123

Funnily enough people said the same thing about Payet.
What else is the explanation? I know you really like Deschamps but can you explain why he didn't give Martial some minutes today? You need your game changers to be ready/on form when they are needed. Even if he can not get in the starting lineup, he is surely a game changer - unless you think Gignac will rescue France when they are 1,2 down.

Loublaze

ATLien
Why on earth do they keep subbing on that lumbering donkey Gignac ?
Reminds me of the time that idiot Domenech kept subbing on the useless Govou in the second half of every game in WC 2010

JackRed

His direct competition is not Gignac, while he can play there his direct competition is actually Payet

Status
Not open for further replies.